Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 244720 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#156612 Feb 26, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
Simple translation. Am math template was formed by math heads that they think the universe must conform to.
Wrong. Observations were made that didn't agree with classical mechanics. So a different model (actually several models) was proposed. it turns out to give predictions that agree with observations. There is no assumption that the universe *must* agree with the model. But the fact of the matter is that it does whenever we are able to test it.
Too much statistics and probabilities to be accurate, in addition to incorrect interpretation of events that created that template. But they won't let that stop them, The universe vill conform!!
No, they don't *have* to conform. But they do. if you think that the interpretations are wrong, please suggest alternatives that allow precise predictions that are testable.
They would do better if they started off with a plain piece of paper and used some basic math. After they resolve some basic issues between reality and math concepts. Theoretical points are one of those.
Funny, that is pretty much what actually happened about 100 years ago when quantum theory was invented.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#156613 Feb 26, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong. Observations were made that didn't agree with classical mechanics. So a different model (actually several models) was proposed. it turns out to give predictions that agree with observations. There is no assumption that the universe *must* agree with the model. But the fact of the matter is that it does whenever we are able to test it.
<quoted text>
No, they don't *have* to conform. But they do. if you think that the interpretations are wrong, please suggest alternatives that allow precise predictions that are testable.
<quoted text>
Funny, that is pretty much what actually happened about 100 years ago when quantum theory was invented.
Did you come up with those probability numbers yet?

You are approaching and rationalizing from a particular school of thought. Your vision, and therefore conclusions, of the whole will be wrong. Quantum effect.

Man has been using materials for construction for eons without understanding the true nature of the material, and did very good jobs. Just made adjustments when needed. Your thought is in the same league.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#156614 Feb 26, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Because of a what theory?
The great thing about science is it always progresses as more observable evidence is presented. You gotta love that!
You know actual observable proof. Neat!
<quoted text>
Observable proof...

OF what happened a milisecond after the supposed big bang thingy happened?

LMAO!!

Observable proof...

That all life came from one life?

LMMFGDAOOOO

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#156615 Feb 26, 2013
Thinking wrote:
I know 100% for sure that no all powerful compassionate god exists.
I know this because we have evidence of avoidable suffering.
Therefore the christian god does not exist.
I am not however trying to claim that no god could possibly exist.
You're under the typical atheist assumption that suffering is caused by God and not humans.

At least you believe that God is real, that's a good start.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#156616 Feb 26, 2013
TheBlackSheep wrote:
Doesn't say were they come from or why we have them, just notes the effects of emotions.
Same thing.... "here's how you can get happy"
"how psychologists think about emotions"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =LU9aRGJm9FQXX

http://www.youtube.com/watch...
Not mainstream science, more like junk science.

Try again?

Prove that you can love.

Westcliffe, CO

#156617 Feb 26, 2013
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/u-n-told-atheists-fa...

Poor atheists.

Topix atheists on here aren't just blasphemous. They express and incite religious hatred. They don't just disagree, they attack.

You can run afoul of laws in various ways.

Just saying.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#156618 Feb 26, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Both the BB and the SS had red-shifts due to expansion of the universe. Those have been verified and are a requirement of any new thoery. The cosmic background radiation shows the condition of the universe at a particular time: it was very hot and dense and expanding. Any new thoery will have to take that into consideration. The observed abundances of the light elements show that the universe was once hot and dense enough for fusion reactions *and* that those reactions were cut off before completion by the expansion. Any new thoery will have to deal with that.
So, the essential aspects of the BB thoery are established: that the universe is expanding from a very hot, dense state. Furthermore, the details are incredibly well described by general relativity and statistical mechanics. Any new thoery will have to deal with that.
You seem to think that it is a bad thing that science is able to adapt to new information by coming up with new thoeries that fit both the old evidence and the newer evidence. To the contrary, it is one of the shining advances the human race made when we realized that a sequence of increasingly good approximations is better than a single bad worldview. Religion is still stuck in the philosophy and superstitions of 2000 years ago, while science has progressed because it can learn and change.
"stuck in philosophy and superstitions of 2000 years ago"?!

What the hell are you talking about?

Are you under the impression that scientists are not also religious people?

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#156619 Feb 26, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
In the beginning was the curd, and the curd was with Gouda, and the curd was Gouda.
Cheesus Christ, what am I saying?
1)Then mine eyes beheld a wheel of cheese, and yet another of another kind, both spinning, one within the first wheel, 2) and a loud voice coming down from the heavens spake, shaking the earth and said "Look unto the cheese, behold its unity, thus from this point on I give unto you, Colby Jack", and it was good. Psalms of Melt chap.2:1-2

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#156620 Feb 26, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Provide one "absolute" truth.
I have 2 dogs.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#156621 Feb 26, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you come up with those probability numbers yet?
What probability numbers?
You are approaching and rationalizing from a particular school of thought.
Yes, I am approaching the subject from a 'school of thought' that says that ideas need to be subject to testing via observation; that ideas need to be able to make specific predictions; and that precision is better than vagueness when attempting to understand the universe. This is also the 'school of thought' that has lead to scientific progress over the last 400 years.
Your vision, and therefore conclusions, of the whole will be wrong. Quantum effect.
Show me a specific prediction that is wrong as determined by actual observation.
Man has been using materials for construction for eons without understanding the true nature of the material, and did very good jobs. Just made adjustments when needed. Your thought is in the same league.
On the contrary, we now have detailed models that can make specific predictions about properties of materials (in many, but not all cases) and that allows us to design new materials with properties nobody even 50 years ago would have imagined.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#156622 Feb 26, 2013
TheBlackSheep wrote:
How old is the Earth?
Not 6,000 years, as the bible clearly states!
Lucy!!

Jew got sum 'splaining to do...!

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#156623 Feb 26, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
"stuck in philosophy and superstitions of 2000 years ago"?!
What the hell are you talking about?
Are you under the impression that scientists are not also religious people?
Many scientists are. But the good ones don't let their religious beliefs trump their science. None-the-less, the basic Christian world-view is based on middle Platonism and is, at base, wrong.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#156624 Feb 26, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I have 2 dogs.
What makes that an 'absolute' truth as opposed to simple 'a truth'?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#156625 Feb 26, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
That's an absolute lie.
What is absolute truth?
An absolute truth is an unalterable and permanent fact.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#156626 Feb 26, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
I grew up in Miami and played with bugs for years. One day I was pruning a bush in the yard and got stung by a light green caterpillar we had down there that I had played with during that time and never got stung by. Didn't know they could even sting. That was absolutely the most painful sting I ever had in my life.
I've been burned and felt all sorts of pain(S). I'm sure you have too.

If it's the same creature, it is almost literally, indescribable.

I'm glad(not that you were stung) that you have possibly ran across the same thing because when you try to relate what it was like it just comes across as whining or "it can't have been that bad".

It was. hahaa, KUDOS, Dave.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#156627 Feb 26, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Many scientists are. But the good ones don't let their religious beliefs trump their science. None-the-less, the basic Christian world-view is based on middle Platonism and is, at base, wrong.
What do you consider the "Christian world-view" is?

Westcliffe, CO

#156628 Feb 26, 2013
Topix atheists are under the impression their "non-belief" is license to mock and ridicule religions and their adherents for not sharing their "non-belief".

They are protesting discrimination and alleging persecution of their "non-belief". They should be protected from religious persecution, they proclaim.

They have no belief.

They think they are above the laws they seek to protect them, that they are allowed to engage in ridicule and to proselytize their "non-belief".

They won't be prosecuted for being atheists, but for expressing hatred for religions.

Topix atheists are stupid.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#156629 Feb 26, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
What makes that an 'absolute' truth as opposed to simple 'a truth'?
It's not permanent.
Thinking

Shaftesbury, UK

#156630 Feb 26, 2013
Wrong. I said "any all powerful god". You took that to mean your myth.

So humans are to blame for all cot death? All miscarriages? All childhood leukaemia? And your all powerful god just lets it happen?

Your belief system is really evil.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You're under the typical atheist assumption that suffering is caused by God and not humans.
At least you believe that God is real, that's a good start.

Westcliffe, CO

#156631 Feb 26, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>I've been burned and felt all sorts of pain(S). I'm sure you have too.
If it's the same creature, it is almost literally, indescribable.
I'm glad(not that you were stung) that you have possibly ran across the same thing because when you try to relate what it was like it just comes across as whining or "it can't have been that bad".
It was. hahaa, KUDOS, Dave.
I've experienced a lot of pains, including rabies shots. That sting left the most lasting effect on my psyche of any I have experienced. Makes you want to jump out of your body, but it won't let you. You just can't shut it off until it fades on its own. They should use it for interrogating terrorists.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 23 min Agents of Corruption 10,637
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 2 hr Paul Porter1 20,497
Is the Christian god good? 3 hr Shizle 3
Atheist believe, they are just hiding!!! 5 hr Richardfs 18
Atheists should stop feeding the stereotypes 7 hr Shizle 7
There is no meaning without God 8 hr Shizle 3
Atheists and the "Moses Syndrome" 19 hr Anonymous1386 3
More from around the web