Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
150,401 - 150,420 of 226,536 Comments Last updated 22 min ago

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#156487 Feb 25, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Let's say you love your parents.
Let's also say you assume that love is demonstrable.
Let's also say you "know it".
Prove it.
Actually, they can prove it. They can scan your brain and tell what you are feeling.{It is a bit more complicated than that, but I don't believe that I am qualified to explain it.}

That's how they know that Atheists' brains are not wired to be believers.

Now, why do you suppose a god would wire my brain in such a way that I would not believe in it?

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#156488 Feb 25, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Did that make sense before you hit "Enter"?
Only it doesn't now.
He is a WAG troll puppet. He will say anything to get attention.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#156489 Feb 25, 2013
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
There is not now, nor has there ever been, any proof that any god ever existed.
The proof of the pudding is in the eating.

The only real test of something is as what it is intended to be used for.

Location hidden

#156490 Feb 25, 2013
Just Think wrote:
What truths do Christians know absolutely?
E=MC2

Location hidden

#156491 Feb 25, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>It's really not that complicated. Despite your continuing attempts to shift the burden of proof.
Absent evidence, there's no reason to believe in a deity.
Why?

Absent love, there's me reason to want to fall in love.

Absent sex, there's me reason to want to have sex.

Absent beer, there's no reason to want to drunk one.

But we all do.

Location hidden

#156492 Feb 25, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
There is *plenty* of evidence for it, from the red-shifts of galaxies, to the cosmic background radiation, to the abundances of light elements in the universe. One need not have 'been there' to be able to see the evidence *left over* from it.
That only means there is evidence of red shifts, cosmic background radiation & light in the universe, not the assumption called the Big Bang ( formerly steady state) lol

Location hidden

#156493 Feb 25, 2013
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, they can prove it. They can scan your brain and tell what you are feeling.{It is a bit more complicated than that, but I don't believe that I am qualified to explain it.}
That's how they know that Atheists' brains are not wired to be believers.
Now, why do you suppose a god would wire my brain in such a way that I would not believe in it?
Nope. Nobody can prove scientifically that emotions exist or why they exist or why we feel them.

Neuroscientists are hard at work trying to figure it out, Topix atheists aren't.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#156494 Feb 25, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
That is an absolute truth claim.
How is it that you think you have the authority to make such a claim?
Do you know everything?
Are you omniscient?
No.
So your arbitrary claim is ludicrous.
It is not a claim, it is a statement of fact.

There is not now, nor has there ever been, any proof of any god's existence.

If the statement is not factual, there is a simple way for you to prove that.

We'll wait...

Location hidden

#156495 Feb 25, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
In the beginning God...
How do we know this?
Because the One who knows everything revealed it to us...
Wait...your entire argument is that in the beginning god existed because god told you that in the beginning god existed?

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Sorry.

Next?
CunningLinguist

Hernando, FL

#156496 Feb 25, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
E=MC2
RR you mentioned Albert?

In God We Rust

"It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions, a lie which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it." ~Albert Einstein

"Thus I came...to a deep religiosity, which, however, reached an abrupt end at the age of 12. Through the reading of popular scientific books I soon reached a conviction that much in the stories of the Bible could not be true.... Suspicion against every kind of authority grew out of this experience...an attitude which has never left me." ~Albert Einstein

"I do not believe in immortality of the individual, and I consider ethics to be an exclusively human concern with no superhuman authority behind it." ~Albert Einstein

"I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the objects of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own -- a God, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotism." ~Albert Einstein

- Albert Einstein, Out Of My Later Years:
"One strength of the Communist system ...is that it has some of the characteristics of a religion and inspires the emotions of a religion."

"He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice."
-Albert Einstein

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."
Albert Einstein

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow."
Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#156497 Feb 25, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
You have not seen the big bang, neither has anyone else...
You have no evidence for it.

Of course we do, well maybe not you.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#156498 Feb 25, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>i don't mean to take pot shots at you, even though you are an easy target, even when hiding amongst the cows. I enjoy the dialog we have, I think you try way to hard to impress others with your intellect. And I have a tendency to be a little rigid. Having said that, I can only wonder why you so resist complexity in music and art. if you are as intelligent as you try so hard to assert, why does complexity bother you? Why do you insist on supporting anything without evidence. Personally, I think you're one step away from being an Atheist. Take the step baby, step into the light of reason....come on....you can do it!!!! I'll even take you out for a cruise on my beautiful boat, we'll sail up to Gloucester.
Complexity doesn't bother me in the least. It's those that make things complex beyond need just to make things complex that do.

You may notice I have a wide range of music interests. I wasn't much of a musician, but believe or not I have put together a violin, repaired another, repaired mandolins, guitars, autoharps, banjos, and even pianos, including the tuning. With an electronic tuner. I'm kind of tone deaf. As it is now I can't hear the top notes of the piano, although I can hear the clicks of the keys. And only in one ear.

I was told I would make a great swinette player, but I lost my teeth. I am doomed just to enjoy music within my hearing range. However, due to my left ear not being totally deaf, but very frequency unresponsive, loud noises kind of overload my listening abilities, which is why I am not a fan of noisy horn blowers. It ain't nothing personal.:-)

I was an atheist for 50 years. I have my own evidence for no longer being one, although there is no religion you could really peg me in. Just a knowledge there is something behind the scenes running me, and I suspect greatly, everyone else. We are the instruments for the Grand Musician. Honestly.

If you like complexity, figure out that score.

“Credulity is not a virtue”

San Francisco

#156499 Feb 25, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Why?
Absent love, there's me reason to want to fall in love.
Absent sex, there's me reason to want to have sex.
Absent beer, there's no reason to want to drunk one.
But we all do.
The obvious problem with your analogy is that love, sex, and beer all exist.

Belief in a deity is just projection, pure and simple. Every deity reflects the values of the believer, every single time. Pretty obvious.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#156500 Feb 25, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
There is *plenty* of evidence for it, from the red-shifts of galaxies, to the cosmic background radiation, to the abundances of light elements in the universe. One need not have 'been there' to be able to see the evidence *left over* from it.
All based upon the assumed logic of an artificially created logic.

How are those probability numbers coming?

Here is a real world fact for you. A rat in a maze can never see past the maze it is running in. It can only pick its way through. If it's a smart rat, it may figure a logic to make the next one easier.

Location hidden

#156501 Feb 25, 2013
CunningLinguist wrote:
<quoted text>
RR you mentioned Albert?
Yes, of course. The other poster asked what truths Christians know absolutely.

E=MC2 is one of them.

His religious views or non-views are irrelevant to said question.

Location hidden

#156502 Feb 25, 2013
wilderide wrote:
The obvious problem with your analogy is that love, sex, and beer all exist.
Belief in a deity is just projection, pure and simple. Every deity reflects the values of the believer, every single time. Pretty obvious.
Because God has never seemed to answer your prayers, or you can't find His Facebook page, does not mean that your assumption that He doesn't exist is correct.

You say the deity reflects the values of the believer, but you didn't acknowledge that love also reflects the values of the one in love. You know that what one perso find to be love, another might find to be disgust...

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#156503 Feb 25, 2013
Reason
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
"See humanity created all gods. They did this as a comfort measure for when they were alone, or dying, or awestruck."
So, what are you going to use when your time comes for those?

Lexington, KY

#156504 Feb 25, 2013
Truth is observable. Sorry again you must demonstrate there is a god before you can even begin to assign characteristics and properties to him.

As I said before when something actually exists you can demonstrate it, you don't need to play these silly word games and mental gymnastics.
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Truth is self attesting, that is obvious.
Do you disagree with that?

Lexington, KY

#156505 Feb 25, 2013
Again reject there is no proof for god. How many times does this need to be explained to you. I know you hate the burden of proof but your argument is there is a god so either you can demonstrate proof for your argument or you surrender.

In fact you should rejoice at showing proof for your beloved god yes? Instead you throw temper tantrums like a petulant child when asked to demonstrate he exists.

Actually you need to turn on the news because is secular people have fought and removed/reduced religious practices and your fictional god from being blasted in the public square :)

So I say you have no proof or your god and you have confirmed I am indeed correct.

See that wasn't so difficult was it reject?
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You made the assertion that there is no god. That burden of proof is on you.
<quoted text>
NO. We will continue to pray in court, swear to God under oath, swear to God in our military oath, keep the 10 Commandments posted in public places, encourage our kids to pray in school, put up religious billboards, place nativity scenes everywhere at Christmas, etc.
And there's NOTHING you can do about it except whine.
<quoted text>
That burden of proof is on you, too.
Get ta googlin'

Lexington, KY

#156506 Feb 25, 2013
If he had second thoughts he must not be perfect and absolute after all.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
In the beginning, God created the heavens and the Earth...
...then man.
....then you.
...Then He had second thoughts.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 4 hr Patrick 21,519
The myth of the angry atheist 6 hr _Bad Company 3
Our world came from nothing? 10 hr Patrick 436
It seems there are more Atheists in the Christi... (Jun '13) 10 hr Patrick 13
The Ultimate Evidence of God 13 hr Thinking 67
Atheists forgetting the meaning of freedom Sat religionislies 58
I left Creationism! Ask me anything! Sat Patrick 7
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••