Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
150,281 - 150,300 of 226,355 Comments Last updated 1 hr ago

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#156363 Feb 25, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Put down your holy book, and pick up a science book, anyone will do. "I'm against religion because it teaches you to be satisfied with not understanding the world around you."
Science will teach you to be skeptical, to be a free thinker, to question everything. In doing this you will discover that evidence is what is important. For your imaginary God and this fictitious Jesus you will find NO evidence. Run, don't walk, away from your Church of Christ, it will open your mind to the true majesty of the universe.
Michael Faraday.

"Faraday was a devout Christian; his Sandemanian denomination was an offshoot of the Church of Scotland. Well after his marriage, he served as deacon and for two terms as an elder in the meeting house of his youth. His church was located at Paul's Alley in the Barbican. This meeting house was relocated in 1862 to Barnsbury Grove, Islington; this North London location was where Faraday served the final two years of his second term as elder prior to his resignation from that post.[16][17] Biographers have noted that "a strong sense of the unity of God and nature pervaded Faraday's life and work.""

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Faraday

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#156364 Feb 25, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:

What did God say about slavery?
To whom?
When?
Why?
TheBlackSheep wrote:
Read the fu[king bible.
You could've just admitted that you have no idea.

Location hidden

#156365 Feb 25, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
Why quote the Bible?
Every GODBOT does and with careless abandon! Few have even read it.
One cannot 'credit' imagineers and ignorant goat herder ravings years after.
Hearsay 'evidence' isn't admissible in court for a reason.
You are a lonely Robo-poster.
A person that loves to listen to them self talk.
A audience seeker.
For those that share my evaluation of you with think back to thus classic.
http://www.youtube.com/embed/uLlv_aZjHXc...
Will that we another 10 minutes? ;)
How many quotes from the Bible have you seen me make as "evidence"?

Since: Mar 11

Chicago, IL

#156366 Feb 25, 2013
Try again retard I said there is no evidence. And you know there's not. Aren't you due to throw your childish red faced temper tantrum and wail that while you have no proof for your assertions, others can't disprove them?

I know you theists hate it because the burden of proof is difficult when your god is merely a figment of your imagination, and you know it.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Moron, YOU are asserting that souls don't exist, burden's on you.
blacklagoon

Revere, MA

#156367 Feb 25, 2013
Working for the Lord wrote:
<quoted text> How'd you come up that it's a myth, let me guess, science. Listen get you a new living translation bible, because it's the best one for beginners. Read it, you know like you do your science books. God has advised us over and over that faith is required to know God, so science is of no value. God knew this would happen, so that's why he kept telling us to use faith. The Church of Christ is the only church where you can be saved. I'm so interested on exactly why you don't believe.
FAITH....Ahh..Faith," Faith is the permission that religious people give to one another to believe things strongly when reason fails. There is no other discourse were we consider tis an acceptable practice."

Logic 101 says that either A is or A isn't. What methodology do you use to determine if A is or A isn't? Claim....a gigantic meteor is on its way and will hit your town in exactly two days. Claim...you have only 2 month to live, a foreign organism is inside your brain. Claim...The moon IS actually made of green cheese and is beginning to crumble, sending large pieces into the earth with devastating results.

Now do you use FAITH in any of these claims. Do you have Faith that a meteor will NOT impact your town, that you do NOT have 2 months to live, and that the moon is NOT made of green cheese? If you harbor any intelligence at all to will seek PROOF that these claims or true or not. The only methodology you have for each of these claims is SCIENCE. Astrophysics and medical science will tell you if any of these claims are true.

Yes, you do need faith to believe in things without evince, but why would you? You believe in something without evidence for no good reason other than it makes you feel good. Not a very god reason.
blacklagoon

Revere, MA

#156368 Feb 25, 2013
<quoted text> Madscot it's been along time for sure since talking to you under an assumed name. It's also time for you to get right with God and here's what it takes.
Hear the Word, by attending services of the Church of Christ.
Romans 10:17
So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
John 5:24-25
Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life. Verily, verily, I say unto you, The hour is coming, and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God: and they that hear shall live.
Truly Believe in God and that Jesus is His Son.
Mark 16:15-16
And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
John 3:36
He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.
Sincerely Repent of your past Sins
Romans 3:23
For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;
Acts 17:30
And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:
Luke 13:3
I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.
Confess Jesus before men.
Luke 12:8
Also I say unto you, Whosoever shall confess me before men, him shall the Son of man also confess before the angels of God:
1 John 4:15
Whosoever shall confess that Jesus is the Son of God, God dwelleth in him, and he in God.
Matthew 10:32-33
Whosoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven. But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven
Be Baptized
Colossians 2:12
Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.
Acts 2:38
Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Remain Faithful until death
I don't do religious voodoo!!!
blacklagoon

Revere, MA

#156369 Feb 25, 2013
<quoted text> Madscot it's been along time for sure since talking to you under an assumed name. It's also time for you to get right with God and here's what it takes.
Hear the Word, by attending services of the Church of Christ.
Romans 10:17
So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
John 5:24-25
Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life. Verily, verily, I say unto you, The hour is coming, and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God: and they that hear shall live.
Truly Believe in God and that Jesus is His Son.
Mark 16:15-16
And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
John 3:36
He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.
Sincerely Repent of your past Sins
Romans 3:23
For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;
Acts 17:30
And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:
Luke 13:3
I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.
Confess Jesus before men.
Luke 12:8
Also I say unto you, Whosoever shall confess me before men, him shall the Son of man also confess before the angels of God:
1 John 4:15
Whosoever shall confess that Jesus is the Son of God, God dwelleth in him, and he in God.
Matthew 10:32-33
Whosoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven. But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven
Be Baptized
Colossians 2:12
Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.
Acts 2:38
Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Remain Faithful until death
I don't do religious voodoo!!! Besides the God you believe in kills little babies.

Chicago, IL

#156370 Feb 25, 2013
The fact that people don't believe in any god is proof for atheism.

Glad to catch you up. In other news Catholics are indeed Christians! Who knew?
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Congrats! You're finally starting to understand atheism.

Location hidden

#156371 Feb 25, 2013
Undark matter is about 4 % of the universe. That is the stuff we can see and not guess it is there.

Over 99% of that is as plasma. That is the stuff that knits the less than 1% that makes us. We are a very, very small percentage of that 1%.

Now, try real hard to think.

This swirling stuff combining and knitting "neutral" matter, then this 23% or so of all matter being dark, so you can;t see it, and this large amount of "dark" energy, and a very, very, very, very, very tiny bit of this "neutral" matter, that lives within this plasma, dark matter, and dark energy peers out and can;t even see the edge of the universe, and a very, very, very, very small portion of that matter declares there is no possibility of a Creator or supernatural force. Absolutely, without a doubt, just has to be, such just could not exist in the model they created with their numbers. As they crunch those numbers on their devices created by channeling those very same forces.

Only humans can be so stupid.

Chicago, IL

#156372 Feb 25, 2013
Hey a book on people's hallucinations! Neat! No proof of god or afterlife but great for a laugh.
RiversideRedneck wrote:

Location hidden

#156373 Feb 25, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
I know you theists hate it because the burden of proof is difficult when your god is merely a figment of your imagination, and you know it.
There is no evidence for that, and you know it.

Location hidden

#156374 Feb 25, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
The fact that people don't believe in any god is proof for atheism.
No, here's your perfect version of atheism:

"Givemeliberty wrote:
I have no proof or evidence but it's my delusion and I like it!"

(you sum it up nicely.)
blacklagoon

Revere, MA

#156375 Feb 25, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Heh heh.
I have posted about science being just another religion.
Ever notice how it says everything is just perfect? Nice and stable?
Keep those covers over your head. It is nice and safe in your little world there. It is a scary universe out there.
Every time I begin to think you have even a shred of intelligence and understanding, you fire off one of these idiotic posts. You reach around and pull a huge gob of shit out of your ass and smear it all over Topix. RELIGION..."The belief in and worship of a SUPERHUMAN CONTROLLING POWER." Now exactly WHAT superhuman God thing do I worship. What prayers do I say and to whom? In what church is science to be found? Do you real understand just how stupid you appear uttering this bullshit?

You know nothing about music and now you have proven you know nothing about science. Science NEVER says "Everything is just perfect" Nor does it say "Everything is nice and stable." Does the word entropy mean anything to you? Does biology say that the human body is "just perfect?" Our sun will cease to be taking the entire solar system with it, is that "perfect and nice and stable?" With numbing cold, bombarded with radiation, no atmosphere, distances that are unobtainable, yeah, the universe is a scary place. God thing we have science to understand it isn't it.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#156376 Feb 25, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no evidence for that, and you know it.
Since you have no solid evidence that your god exists, then it is a figment of your imagination.

Location hidden

#156377 Feb 25, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Every time I begin to think you have even a shred of intelligence and understanding, you fire off one of these idiotic posts. You reach around and pull a huge gob of shit out of your ass and smear it all over Topix. RELIGION..."The belief in and worship of a SUPERHUMAN CONTROLLING POWER." Now exactly WHAT superhuman God thing do I worship. What prayers do I say and to whom? In what church is science to be found? Do you real understand just how stupid you appear uttering this bullshit?
You know nothing about music and now you have proven you know nothing about science. Science NEVER says "Everything is just perfect" Nor does it say "Everything is nice and stable." Does the word entropy mean anything to you? Does biology say that the human body is "just perfect?" Our sun will cease to be taking the entire solar system with it, is that "perfect and nice and stable?" With numbing cold, bombarded with radiation, no atmosphere, distances that are unobtainable, yeah, the universe is a scary place. God thing we have science to understand it isn't it.
Oh, but it won't be in our lifetimes, they assure you. Keep that funding coming in so we can study it, though. Don't want to make any mistakes, eh?

Your belief in science is a substitute. It is an opiate. Science is OK, it is the scientists you have to question.

You will love this one.

Largelanguage

Wrexham, UK

#156378 Feb 25, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Since you have no solid evidence that your god exists, then it is a figment of your imagination.
Riverside redneck ignores you, because you are just 7 younger than him, lol.

I bet even if it was 45 year old teaching RR the 46 year old something, he would squeal like a worm!
Siro

Brisbane, Australia

#156379 Feb 25, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Since you have no solid evidence that your vagina exists, then it is a figment of your imagination.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#156380 Feb 25, 2013
Siro wrote:
<quoted text>
Since you have no solid evidence that your vagina exists, then it is a figment of your imagination.
Funny thing, I never claimed that existed, you did.

Location hidden

#156381 Feb 25, 2013

Buckethead even wrote a song about Topix atheists.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#156382 Feb 25, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Put down your holy book, and pick up a science book, anyone will do. "I'm against religion because it teaches you to be satisfied with not understanding the world around you."
Science will teach you to be skeptical, to be a free thinker, to question everything. In doing this you will discover that evidence is what is important. For your imaginary God and this fictitious Jesus you will find NO evidence. Run, don't walk, away from your Church of Christ, it will open your mind to the true majesty of the universe.
Sure. That's how we learned about the Global Cooling Crisis a few years ago. Icebergs, said the HOLY SCIENTISTS, were going to float inland and topple over the NY skyscrapers.

Hey, BlackBuffoon, better buy you a Coleman heater!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Should Uninformed Opinion Be Respected? 9 min CunningLinguist 28
100% Faith Free 33 min CunningLinguist 12
Atheists that tout free thinking use bully tact... 6 hr Patrick 13
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 8 hr Patrick 21,502
Our world came from nothing? 9 hr CunningLinguist 422
Atheists forgetting the meaning of freedom 11 hr Jaimie 46
How much faith it takes to believe in Evolution. 14 hr Patrick 172
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••