Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#156287 Feb 24, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Only a Theists could pose such a stupid question, absolutely stocking!! Explain what being an Atheists has to do with art. Do you think art is important and if so why? Do you feel that art in any form can only be considered important if religion is involved?
Art is one of the things that separates humans form the rest of the animals on the planet. Art is the result of an actively creative mind. Creativity is what has advanced our species in many different areas not just art. Science, medicine and the general understanding of the world in which we live. Creativity expands ones mind, moves you forward, opens doors you thought never exited. To create something, anything, that has never exited before, is more rewarding than you can imagine. No God or religion is necessary for any creative endeavors.
http://www.thunderbolts.info/wp/2012/12/07/sy...

Take the time to watch the whole thing.
blacklagoon

Revere, MA

#156288 Feb 24, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Frank Ifield. I remember the song well.
You made some excellent points I was going to in that first paragraph, but would put them different.
Your "true" art is only appreciated by those trained in your school of "true" art.
That last song was commercial bullshit by "true" artists. The BS DJ's and record company artists.
Most people don't know what an arpeggio is, and don't care. They go by what stirs them, unless they have some effing expert telling them what they are supposed to like. What is currently "cool". Same goes with most "art".
You have art by induction, and you have real art that appeals naturally.
That is why people will prefer listening to Buckethead instead of your contrived and constricted method. It's natural.
BTW, this old hulk that has been floating on the ocean? That is because it is in tune with the ocean. It passed a message to me. The ocean would appreciate if it could find and tell that clown that toots his horn at the waves if he found someplace else, as it is disturbing the peace and tranquility of the residents thereof.
Get some Buckethead and develop some universal soul.
Soothsayer, of course, Aunt Suzie, and Look Up There for the singles,
The albums.
Colma. You will be forced to mellow out. No choice. It will flatten your ass.
Electric Tears, Electric Sea, and Shadows Between the Sky. You will be forced to reflect. No choice.
There is more, but the picking get slimmer because he does a variety of styles. Listen to them twice and you are hooked.
Oh, next trip out on the ocean. Play some Buckethead. Davy Jones loves it.
People prefer bucketed and other such trivial music because they are to lazy to expand their minds, to reach for the next level of musical literacy. I once taught a class in music appreciation. It was open to the general public and was attended by a wide variety of people. From those completely ignorant of any kinds of music, to solid rack and roll lovers, people who only listed to country music, and those who never really thought about music at all and just played it as background music. The transformation that occurred at the end of the 12 week session was astounding. Once people knew what to listen for, understood the principals that were being used, and more important,understood the history of the music, their interest skyrocketed. I had hard core rock fans weeping over a Puccini Opera, heavy metal fans with their jaws dropping as the heard the conclusion to Mahlers 8th symphony. Elderly women who suddenly understood Jazz. "Jazz always sounded like everybody warming up at the same time." But, when she understood the history, made the connection between form, harmony, and melodic phrasing, she could appreciate the music. She still didn't like listening to it, but she understood the music, she made an EDUCATED CHOICE.

People are inherently lazy when it comes to art, especially music, they, like you, listen peripherally, your what we cal "surface listeners" you only hear the obvious and just don't have the musical intellect to detect fine detail.

Humm, lets see, bucketed, or Symbiosis, and wonderful extended work by classical/Jazz composer Clause Olgerman that uses the great Bill Evans trio and a center piece....tough choice.....NOT REALLY!!!!!
blacklagoon

Revere, MA

#156289 Feb 24, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Frank Ifield. I remember the song well.
You made some excellent points I was going to in that first paragraph, but would put them different.
Your "true" art is only appreciated by those trained in your school of "true" art.
That last song was commercial bullshit by "true" artists. The BS DJ's and record company artists.
Most people don't know what an arpeggio is, and don't care. They go by what stirs them, unless they have some effing expert telling them what they are supposed to like. What is currently "cool". Same goes with most "art".
You have art by induction, and you have real art that appeals naturally.
That is why people will prefer listening to Buckethead instead of your contrived and constricted method. It's natural.
BTW, this old hulk that has been floating on the ocean? That is because it is in tune with the ocean. It passed a message to me. The ocean would appreciate if it could find and tell that clown that toots his horn at the waves if he found someplace else, as it is disturbing the peace and tranquility of the residents thereof.
Get some Buckethead and develop some universal soul.
Soothsayer, of course, Aunt Suzie, and Look Up There for the singles,
The albums.
Colma. You will be forced to mellow out. No choice. It will flatten your ass.
Electric Tears, Electric Sea, and Shadows Between the Sky. You will be forced to reflect. No choice.
There is more, but the picking get slimmer because he does a variety of styles. Listen to them twice and you are hooked.
Oh, next trip out on the ocean. Play some Buckethead. Davy Jones loves it.
People prefer bucketed and other such trivial music because they are to lazy to expand their minds, to reach for the next level of musical literacy. I once taught a class in music appreciation. It was open to the general public and was attended by a wide variety of people. From those completely ignorant of any kinds of music, to solid rack and roll lovers, people who only listed to country music, and those who never really thought about music at all and just played it as background music. The transformation that occurred at the end of the 12 week session was astounding. Once people knew what to listen for, understood the principals that were being used, and more important,understood the history of the music, their interest skyrocketed. I had hard core rock fans weeping over a Puccini Opera, heavy metal fans with their jaws dropping as the heard the conclusion to Mahlers 8th symphony. Elderly women who suddenly understood Jazz. "Jazz always sounded like everybody warming up at the same time." But, when she understood the history, made the connection between form, harmony, and melodic phrasing, she could appreciate the music. She still didn't like listening to it, but she understood the music, she made an EDUCATED CHOICE.

People are inherently lazy when it comes to art, especially music, they, like you, listen peripherally, your what we cal "surface listeners" you only hear the obvious and just don't have the musical intellect to detect fine detail.

Humm, lets see, buckethead, or Symbiosis, and wonderful extended work by classical/Jazz composer Clause Olgerman that uses the great Bill Evans trio as a center piece....tough choice.....NOT REALLY!!!!!
blacklagoon

Revere, MA

#156290 Feb 24, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.thunderbolts.info/wp/2012/12/07/sy...
Take the time to watch the whole thing.
I watched half and then became terribly bored. I did like the point about dragons, found in every culture, but never supported by any evidence. You'd think if dragons were so plentiful archeologists would have unearthed some evidence. We find evidence of creatures that lived millions of years ago, so finding evidence of a creatures so recent in our history should have been easy.

The film tries to equivocate primitive cultures to the present. Give primitive man and eclipse of the sun followed by an earthquake and tsunami and only a GOD could possible be responsible. A really nice plague would accomplish the same response. Primitive cultures with absolutely no understanding of the world around them will automatically defer magic. Planets becoming Gods, hundreds of Godlike figures, all in an attempt to justify what they could never understand. The most simple of events, like the rise and fall of the tides, could only be explained as God caused.

Location hidden

#156291 Feb 24, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>People prefer bucketed and other such trivial music because they are to lazy to expand their minds, to reach for the next level of musical literacy. I once taught a class in music appreciation. It was open to the general public and was attended by a wide variety of people. From those completely ignorant of any kinds of music, to solid rack and roll lovers, people who only listed to country music, and those who never really thought about music at all and just played it as background music. The transformation that occurred at the end of the 12 week session was astounding. Once people knew what to listen for, understood the principals that were being used, and more important,understood the history of the music, their interest skyrocketed. I had hard core rock fans weeping over a Puccini Opera, heavy metal fans with their jaws dropping as the heard the conclusion to Mahlers 8th symphony. Elderly women who suddenly understood Jazz. "Jazz always sounded like everybody warming up at the same time." But, when she understood the history, made the connection between form, harmony, and melodic phrasing, she could appreciate the music. She still didn't like listening to it, but she understood the music, she made an EDUCATED CHOICE.
Humm, lets see, bucketed, or Symbiosis, and wonderful extended work by classical/Jazz composer Clause Olgerman that uses the great Bill Evans trio and a center piece....tough choice.....NOT REALLY!!!!!
Music indoctrination.

Watch that link I posted. Takes about 13 minutes before it really launches. Has a lot to do with art, too.

Location hidden

#156292 Feb 24, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>I watched half and then became terribly bored. I did like the point about dragons, found in every culture, but never supported by any evidence. You'd think if dragons were so plentiful archeologists would have unearthed some evidence. We find evidence of creatures that lived millions of years ago, so finding evidence of a creatures so recent in our history should have been easy.
The film tries to equivocate primitive cultures to the present. Give primitive man and eclipse of the sun followed by an earthquake and tsunami and only a GOD could possible be responsible. A really nice plague would accomplish the same response. Primitive cultures with absolutely no understanding of the world around them will automatically defer magic. Planets becoming Gods, hundreds of Godlike figures, all in an attempt to justify what they could never understand. The most simple of events, like the rise and fall of the tides, could only be explained as God caused.
You are too chickenshit to watch the whole thing and think. It would shatter your world view, and your ego.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#156293 Feb 24, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You are too chickenshit to watch the whole thing and think. It would shatter your world view, and your ego.
I can't believe I ate the whole thing.

Remember that one?

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#156294 Feb 24, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Appalachia would be a good place to start to see how people got creative and made their own music. Done all over the world.
You are stuck in a box. You think orchestras visited rural villages?
I am sure ancient Indian and Chinese had some sort of orchestral arrangements.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aboriginal_rock
If they do it now, they did it then.
Didn't you watch Ringo Starr in Cave Man?
Man does not have to wait to be trained by you to make his own music.
Cathead is my hero.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#156295 Feb 24, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Again you are relying on obfuscation. You are flailing and failing because of it. All proof shows man created god as a comfort measure and explanation devise. We see this in every culture that has deities time and time again. Can you demonstrate proof otherwise?
No you can't. See I can show evidence of my argument. Actual secular historical proof as well as what believers themselves eagerly say. I don't need two penny word games where I twist the meaning of words, obfuscate what people say, or assign properties to a deity that I haven't established is even there!
You want to talk about the laws of logic yet assign properties to this god that you can't demonstrate is there! How more illogical can you get?
See your bullsht word games are just childish things. Time to grow up.
<quoted text>
There's more manuscripts, artifacts and eyewitnesses to testify to the reality of the exsistence of Jesus Christ if you really wanted to know. If you do then look it up, like you do on the things that have made you believe other wise.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#156296 Feb 24, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
A Louisiana alligator, 10 feet long can bite your arm off.
Because I said so.
A 5'4" doctor with a bone saw can cut your leg off.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#156297 Feb 24, 2013
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
Then ask god to put it back on.
What do you mean that he won't do it!
Well, I can't fault you. It is an absolute truth that god will not replace a human limb! He cures unseen things much better than the seen things. It's just his absolute way have doing things.
Why would I pray he make putting on your head a priority?

I pray for him to do it if he was bored and had nothing else to do. Id also tell him not to worry about the details. If he put it on backwards that be ok.

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#156298 Feb 24, 2013
Working for the Lord wrote:
<quoted text> There's more manuscripts, artifacts and eyewitnesses to testify to the reality of the exsistence of Jesus Christ if you really wanted to know....
None of which prove He was God AND most pf them invalidate Christianity. That is why the Roman Church banned and burned them. It has only been in the last couple hundred years that many have surfaced proving the lies of Christianity.

You religitards never learn not to touch the double edged sword of reality.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#156299 Feb 24, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Yea but alligators can do it with so much more finesse.

Location hidden

#156300 Feb 24, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Cathead is my hero.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =kH2JY2XTWLcXX
http://www.youtube.com/watch...

The you also have jugs, washboards, wash tub bass fiddles, kazoos.

All sorts of music out there.

No super ego horn tooters needed.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#156301 Feb 24, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
None of which prove He was God AND most pf them invalidate Christianity. That is why the Roman Church banned and burned them. It has only been in the last couple hundred years that many have surfaced proving the lies of Christianity.
You religitards never learn not to touch the double edged sword of reality.
Educate yourself.
Manuscript evidence for superior New Testament reliability The New Testament is constantly under attack and its reliability and accuracy are often contested by critics. But, if the critics want to disregard the New Testament, then they must also disregard other ancient writings by Plato, Aristotle, and Homer. This is because the New Testament documents are better preserved and more numerous than any other ancient writing. Because the copies are so numerous, they can be cross checked for accuracy. This process has determined that the biblical documents are extremely consistent and accurate. There are presently 5,686 Greek manuscripts in existence today for the New Testament.1 If we were to compare the number of New Testament manuscripts to other ancient writings, we find that the New Testament manuscripts far outweigh the others in quantity.[New Testament Studies][Bible History]
http://www.carm.org/evidence/textualevidence....

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#156302 Feb 24, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yea but alligators can do it with so much more finesse.
Time for bed, Eagle.

So you can catch the worm in the morning.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#156303 Feb 24, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I can't believe I ate the whole thing.
Remember that one?
Take a Alka Seltzer lol.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#156304 Feb 24, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Dr. Phil can cut his own wrong foot off with a hacksaw.

Location hidden

#156305 Feb 24, 2013

Glass harmonica. More modern, but basic principle to make music.

Don't forget handsaws, spoons, hollow logs, beer bottles, and other things creative people can make music with.

With zero training from a horn tooter.
blacklagoon

Revere, MA

#156306 Feb 24, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
I watched as much as I could stand, the planets haven't changed their position in 7 billions years, they've alined in a number of different ways, but their orbits have remained unchanged thanks to gravity. Exactly what am I supposed to get out of this? There is nothing that can shatter my world view or my ego, especially a film that deals with pure speculation.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 2 min Thinking 2,347
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 11 min Thinking 23,201
A New Kinder, Gentler Atheism 28 min Thinking 150
Yes, atheists can be fundamentalists 5 hr Thinking 3
Is 'naturalism' a bleak philosophical outlook? ... 15 hr Mikko 2
Christians More Supportive of Torture Than Non-... 16 hr Thinking 3
Can Atheists Know God Does Not Exist When They ... Sat Yiago 148
More from around the web