Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 244956 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#156345 Feb 25, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
It doesn't take an hour to smell bulls**t.
Explain the Birkeland currents imagery.

Remember, the only drive in theater for a long ways around was the night sky until recently. That was what people watched. You can't hardly see it anymore.

Refer to my post about headlights and egos.

Your statement sounded like something a fanatic fundie would say.

Funny that, eh?

Westcliffe, CO

#156346 Feb 25, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>I always find it refreshing when someone of great intelligence and foresight share my views on religion. The following is from the great author and brilliant mind of Arthur C. Clarke.
"There is an incurable malady which it seems attacks Homo Sapiens, that disease is religious mania. Throughout the earlier part of history, the human race had brought forth an endless success of prophets, seers, messiahs, and evangelists who convinced themselves and their followers that to them alone were the secrets of the Universe revealed. The rise of science, which with montonous regularity refuted the cosmologies of the prophets and produced miracles which they could never match, eventually destroyed all these faiths. It did not destroy the awe nor the reverence and humility. What it did weaken and finally obliterate were the countless religions, each of which claimed with unbelievable arrogance, that it was the sole repository of the truth and that millions of rivals and predecessors were all mistaken. When reality was depressing, man tries to console himself with myths."
This is Clark's vision of the future of religion. It supports my premiss that the more science reveals to us, the less we need a God thing for answers. When the mysteries of the universe are unlocked by science, and when that same science has given up a life spans as long as we want, the need for God will be pointless. To bad I'm going to miss it by about a 1000 years or so,
Heh heh.

I have posted about science being just another religion.

Ever notice how it says everything is just perfect? Nice and stable?

Keep those covers over your head. It is nice and safe in your little world there. It is a scary universe out there.

Westcliffe, CO

#156347 Feb 25, 2013
Silly human beings.

You are told you are going to die, so you stuff your heads with useless knowledge to keep the bogeyman away.

Your belief in science is as useless as anything else. False logics to create your comfort zone.

There ain't a fu*king thing you can do with any science that you aren't allowed to do. It is a false god.

But feel free to dream on.

Reminds me of a song.

Imhotep

Fruitland Park, FL

#156348 Feb 25, 2013
Working for the Lord wrote:
<quoted text> How'd you come up that it's a myth, let me guess, science. Listen get you a new living translation bible, because it's the best one for beginners. Read it, you know like you do your science books. God has advised us over and over that faith is required to know God, so science is of no value. God knew this would happen, so that's why he kept telling us to use faith. The Church of Christ is the only church where you can be saved. I'm so interested on exactly why you don't believe.
Interested?
Methinks thou art being deceptive and biased for thine very own, ultra correct in thine eyes, cult.

With over 1200 Christian organizations, the USA has a greater number of Jesus fan cults than any other country in the world.

The proliferation of variegated brands of Christianity in America is so extreme that it acquires a comic dimension. One might discern only a subtle difference in name between, say, the "Evangelical Congregational Church" and the "Evangelical Covenant Church", or the "Church of God in Christ" and "Church of Christ" but miss a gulf of doctrinal distinction.

Who is bothered about doctrine anyway?

Denominations, a source of so much anguish and bloodshed in the past, have diminishing importance in the era of evangelical psychosis, mega-churches and apocalyptic blockbusters.

Christianity USA is all show business and emotional razzmatazz. Organised as international corporations, with a globalised "mission" of subsidiary offices, its product is propaganda, pouring in prodigious quantity from a network of TV and radio stations and publishing houses. The intent is to draw further millions into the mass of devotees.

“Gods are children's blankets that get carried over into adulthood.”~James Randi

Westcliffe, CO

#156349 Feb 25, 2013
"Every time when I look in the mirror
All these lines on my face getting clearer
The past is gone
It went by, like dusk to dawn
Isn't that the way
Everybody's got the dues in life to pay

I know nobody knows
Where it comes and where it goes
I know it's everybody sin
You got to lose to know how to win

Half my life
Is books written pages
Live and learn from fools and
From sages
You know it's true, oh
All these things you do come back to you

Sing with me, sing for the years
Sing for the laughter, sing for the tears
Sing with me, just for today
Maybe tomorrow, the good lord will take you away

Yeah, sing with me, sing for the year
Sing for the laughter, sing for the tear
Sing with me, just for today
Maybe tomorrow, the good Lord will take you away

Dream on
Dream on
Dream on
Dream until your dreams come true"

http://www.lyrics007.com/Aerosmith%20Lyrics/D...

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#156350 Feb 25, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Remember, the only drive in theater for a long ways around was the night sky until recently. That was what people watched. You can't hardly see it anymore.
And as an amateur astronomer, I agree that this is a truly tragic loss. Most people don't even know what they are missing. When I first moved to where I live, you could see the Milky Way from my back yard. Now, it is only a hazy glow from the lights all around.

Westcliffe, CO

#156351 Feb 25, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
Interested?
Methinks thou art being deceptive and biased for thine very own, ultra correct in thine eyes, cult.
With over 1200 Christian organizations, the USA has a greater number of Jesus fan cults than any other country in the world.
The proliferation of variegated brands of Christianity in America is so extreme that it acquires a comic dimension. One might discern only a subtle difference in name between, say, the "Evangelical Congregational Church" and the "Evangelical Covenant Church", or the "Church of God in Christ" and "Church of Christ" but miss a gulf of doctrinal distinction.
Who is bothered about doctrine anyway?
Denominations, a source of so much anguish and bloodshed in the past, have diminishing importance in the era of evangelical psychosis, mega-churches and apocalyptic blockbusters.
Christianity USA is all show business and emotional razzmatazz. Organised as international corporations, with a globalised "mission" of subsidiary offices, its product is propaganda, pouring in prodigious quantity from a network of TV and radio stations and publishing houses. The intent is to draw further millions into the mass of devotees.
“Gods are children's blankets that get carried over into adulthood.”~James Randi
Why are Topix atheists only capable of quoting someone else's thought?

It's alright. We know.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#156352 Feb 25, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
It's alright. We know.
You just provided evidence that you are a liar.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#156353 Feb 25, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not the one claiming something exists that there is absolutely zero evidence for it's existence. So who's the brain washed person here? You were told there is a soul, and are brainwashed into believing it.
You're the one claiming to have special knowledge about souks that no one else has....

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#156354 Feb 25, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Reading comprehension not your strong point I see.
BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Tarzan say you no write good.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#156355 Feb 25, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
I have no proof or evidence but it's my delusion and I like it!
Congrats! You're finally starting to understand atheism.
blacklagoon

Revere, MA

#156356 Feb 25, 2013
Working for the Lord wrote:
<quoted text> Put down the science book and try getting your life back to where it needs to be, in God. Go to the nearest Church of Christ and get right with God.
Put down your holy book, and pick up a science book, anyone will do. "I'm against religion because it teaches you to be satisfied with not understanding the world around you."

Science will teach you to be skeptical, to be a free thinker, to question everything. In doing this you will discover that evidence is what is important. For your imaginary God and this fictitious Jesus you will find NO evidence. Run, don't walk, away from your Church of Christ, it will open your mind to the true majesty of the universe.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#156357 Feb 25, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Burden of proof is on the person making the assertion half wit.
<quoted text>
Moron, YOU are asserting that souls don't exist, burden's on you.
Imhotep

Fruitland Park, FL

#156358 Feb 25, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
It's alright. We know.
Why quote the Bible?

Every GODBOT does and with careless abandon! Few have even read it.

One cannot 'credit' imagineers and ignorant goat herder ravings years after.

Hearsay 'evidence' isn't admissible in court for a reason.

You are a lonely Robo-poster.
A person that loves to listen to them self talk.
A audience seeker.

For those that share my evaluation of you with think back to thus classic.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/uLlv_aZjHXc...

Will that we another 10 minutes? ;)

Westcliffe, CO

#156359 Feb 25, 2013
Personally, I don't subscribe to the being cast in a lake of fire by some deity as portrayed. I see lack of integrity of "being" resulting in being captured as fuel foe nuclear fires, maybe. Failed product getting recycled.

There is a saying "God looks out for drunkards and fools". This means even Topix atheists are covered. They are just part of a grander scheme of things doing what they were mostly designed to do. However, many will wind up as nuclear fuel. Those are the ones that recite the script written for them. They lack the spark to ignite their own soul.

Since: Mar 11

Chicago, IL

#156360 Feb 25, 2013
Your brain damage told you science says everything is just perfect? Dave. Dave... Dave do you seriously come on here just to humiliate yourself?

That is Siro level of stupidity.

Your ignorance is limitless.
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Heh heh.
I have posted about science being just another religion.
Ever notice how it says everything is just perfect? Nice and stable?
Keep those covers over your head. It is nice and safe in your little world there. It is a scary universe out there.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#156361 Feb 25, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't. But I also see no reason to believe traditional beliefs that have no evidence for them. if you can supply the evidence, please do so.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0001I1KN2/ref=...

Read it.

Westcliffe, CO

#156363 Feb 25, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Put down your holy book, and pick up a science book, anyone will do. "I'm against religion because it teaches you to be satisfied with not understanding the world around you."
Science will teach you to be skeptical, to be a free thinker, to question everything. In doing this you will discover that evidence is what is important. For your imaginary God and this fictitious Jesus you will find NO evidence. Run, don't walk, away from your Church of Christ, it will open your mind to the true majesty of the universe.
Michael Faraday.

"Faraday was a devout Christian; his Sandemanian denomination was an offshoot of the Church of Scotland. Well after his marriage, he served as deacon and for two terms as an elder in the meeting house of his youth. His church was located at Paul's Alley in the Barbican. This meeting house was relocated in 1862 to Barnsbury Grove, Islington; this North London location was where Faraday served the final two years of his second term as elder prior to his resignation from that post.[16][17] Biographers have noted that "a strong sense of the unity of God and nature pervaded Faraday's life and work.""

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Faraday

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#156364 Feb 25, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:

What did God say about slavery?
To whom?
When?
Why?
TheBlackSheep wrote:
Read the fu[king bible.
You could've just admitted that you have no idea.

Westcliffe, CO

#156365 Feb 25, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
Why quote the Bible?
Every GODBOT does and with careless abandon! Few have even read it.
One cannot 'credit' imagineers and ignorant goat herder ravings years after.
Hearsay 'evidence' isn't admissible in court for a reason.
You are a lonely Robo-poster.
A person that loves to listen to them self talk.
A audience seeker.
For those that share my evaluation of you with think back to thus classic.
http://www.youtube.com/embed/uLlv_aZjHXc...
Will that we another 10 minutes? ;)
How many quotes from the Bible have you seen me make as "evidence"?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 22 min emperorjohn 10,952
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 53 min Paul Porter1 20,627
John 3:16 2 hr thetruth 83
News Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) 2 hr thetruth 14,666
Atheists should stop feeding the stereotypes Sat NightSerf 18
News Si Robertson, 'Duck Dynasty' Star, Says Atheist... Fri thetruth 42
Atheists and the "Moses Syndrome" Fri Shizle 20
More from around the web