Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 247372 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

#156334 Feb 25, 2013
EdSed wrote:
<quoted text>Too much repetition and too many nutters?
The trolls aren't of interest. Where the intelligent go the ignorant are condemned to follow. There is little currently on the forums at the moment worth any reply. I only comment occasionally to show a presence and while monitoring the threads for anything of interest.
JMHO
Agree obnoxious fools like Siro have infested the place.

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#156335 Feb 25, 2013
Jesus told children sitting at his feet this tale of the end of the world. At the end of this story he told them that all of these things would happen before some of them died.

That was about 2000 years ago.

Even if Jesus existed he was wrong.
Working for the Lord wrote:
<quoted text> How'd you come up that it's a myth, let me guess, science. Listen get you a new living translation bible, because it's the best one for beginners. Read it, you know like you do your science books. God has advised us over and over that faith is required to know God, so science is of no value. God knew this would happen, so that's why he kept telling us to use faith. The Church of Christ is the only church where you can be saved. I'm so interested on exactly why you don't believe.

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

#156336 Feb 25, 2013
<quoted text> How'd you come up that it's a myth, let me guess, science. Listen get you a new living translation bible, because it's the best one for beginners. Read it, you know like you do your science books. God has advised us over and over that faith is required to know God, so science is of no value. God knew this would happen, so that's why he kept telling us to use faith. The Church of Christ is the only church where you can be saved. I'm so interested on exactly why you don't believe.
Why are 30000+ gods, 38000+ christian cults, 30-40 versions of the bibull and 4 billion hindi gods, which one is real? Why are there so many mistakes in the bibull?

Since: Mar 11

Australia

#156337 Feb 25, 2013
You fool god never said, the Church of Christ, is the only church where you can be saved. Thats mans vanity. So what you have just proved is it hasn't got to do with blind faith, but has everything to do with going to the Church of Christ!!! I imagine you have a living profit too.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#156338 Feb 25, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
A little observation on egos, notably the over developed kind.
It is like driving down a dark highway with your brights on. You can only see what your light shines on.
Education and other such training makes those lights brighter. It also make it harder to see the dark on the side. Your eyes adjust for that extra brightness.
You miss a lot, and assume a lot.
You get an educated and civilized person going into a more primitive, or educated and civilized in a different way, and they can develop a tendency to assume a higher station in life to these poor unfortunates that weren't educated their way.
Of course, they assume the locals can see such as a given. However, they have been doing pretty well their way for generations.
Some of them are nice and gracious by their customs. Others are eager to see what wealth they can get out them. They both smile. Up to a point anyhow. The problems come when the egos try to revamp the system they invaded.
It is very hard for a superego to see the world for what it is. It is even harder to see what lies beyond it. Anything they see will have to fit into their headlights.
<looks from side to side>

Sometimes, Dave.

You're.

A trip.

Just sayin. S'all I'm sayin.

“The eye has it...”

Russell's Teapot

#156339 Feb 25, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
A 5'4" doctor with a bone saw can cut your leg off.

“The eye has it...”

Russell's Teapot

#156340 Feb 25, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =phqymc8anO0XX
The you also have jugs, washboards, wash tub bass fiddles, kazoos.
All sorts of music out there.
No super ego horn tooters needed.
Sometimes just a voice can do it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch...

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#156341 Feb 25, 2013
<quoted text> Put down the science book and try getting your life back to where it needs to be, in God. Go to the nearest Church of Christ and get right with God.
Good grief...how did you find a computer in the Dark Ages?

"Put down the science book"

And you wonder why people think you fundies are insane...

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#156342 Feb 25, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
Sometimes just a voice can do it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =1cJRRc8FToQXX
Good one.
Imhotep

Fruitland Park, FL

#156343 Feb 25, 2013
mtimber wrote:
The nature of truth, is such that it reveals error.
Gods existance is self-evident.
The arguments against that therefore, must always reduce themselves to illogicity.
Which they do, when you examine them logically.
So atheism actually proves Gods existance...
Atheism proves nothing, it is the logical progression of reason.

While atheism sometimes ridicules the Organized Superstition aka religions and those delusional or gullible enough to believe their dogma, it remains the future.

Religion will become extinct. A curiosity.

Religion cannot 'evolve' it is stuck on intractable dogma. What will 'evolve' is the desire to maintain its power over the dim witted.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#156344 Feb 25, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You are too chickenshit to watch the whole thing and think. It would shatter your world view, and your ego.
It doesn't take an hour to smell bulls**t.

Westcliffe, CO

#156345 Feb 25, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
It doesn't take an hour to smell bulls**t.
Explain the Birkeland currents imagery.

Remember, the only drive in theater for a long ways around was the night sky until recently. That was what people watched. You can't hardly see it anymore.

Refer to my post about headlights and egos.

Your statement sounded like something a fanatic fundie would say.

Funny that, eh?

Westcliffe, CO

#156346 Feb 25, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>I always find it refreshing when someone of great intelligence and foresight share my views on religion. The following is from the great author and brilliant mind of Arthur C. Clarke.
"There is an incurable malady which it seems attacks Homo Sapiens, that disease is religious mania. Throughout the earlier part of history, the human race had brought forth an endless success of prophets, seers, messiahs, and evangelists who convinced themselves and their followers that to them alone were the secrets of the Universe revealed. The rise of science, which with montonous regularity refuted the cosmologies of the prophets and produced miracles which they could never match, eventually destroyed all these faiths. It did not destroy the awe nor the reverence and humility. What it did weaken and finally obliterate were the countless religions, each of which claimed with unbelievable arrogance, that it was the sole repository of the truth and that millions of rivals and predecessors were all mistaken. When reality was depressing, man tries to console himself with myths."
This is Clark's vision of the future of religion. It supports my premiss that the more science reveals to us, the less we need a God thing for answers. When the mysteries of the universe are unlocked by science, and when that same science has given up a life spans as long as we want, the need for God will be pointless. To bad I'm going to miss it by about a 1000 years or so,
Heh heh.

I have posted about science being just another religion.

Ever notice how it says everything is just perfect? Nice and stable?

Keep those covers over your head. It is nice and safe in your little world there. It is a scary universe out there.

Westcliffe, CO

#156347 Feb 25, 2013
Silly human beings.

You are told you are going to die, so you stuff your heads with useless knowledge to keep the bogeyman away.

Your belief in science is as useless as anything else. False logics to create your comfort zone.

There ain't a fu*king thing you can do with any science that you aren't allowed to do. It is a false god.

But feel free to dream on.

Reminds me of a song.

Imhotep

Fruitland Park, FL

#156348 Feb 25, 2013
Interested?
Methinks thou art being deceptive and biased for thine very own, ultra correct in thine eyes, cult.

With over 1200 Christian organizations, the USA has a greater number of Jesus fan cults than any other country in the world.

The proliferation of variegated brands of Christianity in America is so extreme that it acquires a comic dimension. One might discern only a subtle difference in name between, say, the "Evangelical Congregational Church" and the "Evangelical Covenant Church", or the "Church of God in Christ" and "Church of Christ" but miss a gulf of doctrinal distinction.

Who is bothered about doctrine anyway?

Denominations, a source of so much anguish and bloodshed in the past, have diminishing importance in the era of evangelical psychosis, mega-churches and apocalyptic blockbusters.

Christianity USA is all show business and emotional razzmatazz. Organised as international corporations, with a globalised "mission" of subsidiary offices, its product is propaganda, pouring in prodigious quantity from a network of TV and radio stations and publishing houses. The intent is to draw further millions into the mass of devotees.

“Gods are children's blankets that get carried over into adulthood.”~James Randi

Westcliffe, CO

#156349 Feb 25, 2013
"Every time when I look in the mirror
All these lines on my face getting clearer
The past is gone
It went by, like dusk to dawn
Isn't that the way
Everybody's got the dues in life to pay

I know nobody knows
Where it comes and where it goes
I know it's everybody sin
You got to lose to know how to win

Half my life
Is books written pages
Live and learn from fools and
From sages
You know it's true, oh
All these things you do come back to you

Sing with me, sing for the years
Sing for the laughter, sing for the tears
Sing with me, just for today
Maybe tomorrow, the good lord will take you away

Yeah, sing with me, sing for the year
Sing for the laughter, sing for the tear
Sing with me, just for today
Maybe tomorrow, the good Lord will take you away

Dream on
Dream on
Dream on
Dream until your dreams come true"

http://www.lyrics007.com/Aerosmith%20Lyrics/D...

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#156350 Feb 25, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Remember, the only drive in theater for a long ways around was the night sky until recently. That was what people watched. You can't hardly see it anymore.
And as an amateur astronomer, I agree that this is a truly tragic loss. Most people don't even know what they are missing. When I first moved to where I live, you could see the Milky Way from my back yard. Now, it is only a hazy glow from the lights all around.

Westcliffe, CO

#156351 Feb 25, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
Interested?
Methinks thou art being deceptive and biased for thine very own, ultra correct in thine eyes, cult.
With over 1200 Christian organizations, the USA has a greater number of Jesus fan cults than any other country in the world.
The proliferation of variegated brands of Christianity in America is so extreme that it acquires a comic dimension. One might discern only a subtle difference in name between, say, the "Evangelical Congregational Church" and the "Evangelical Covenant Church", or the "Church of God in Christ" and "Church of Christ" but miss a gulf of doctrinal distinction.
Who is bothered about doctrine anyway?
Denominations, a source of so much anguish and bloodshed in the past, have diminishing importance in the era of evangelical psychosis, mega-churches and apocalyptic blockbusters.
Christianity USA is all show business and emotional razzmatazz. Organised as international corporations, with a globalised "mission" of subsidiary offices, its product is propaganda, pouring in prodigious quantity from a network of TV and radio stations and publishing houses. The intent is to draw further millions into the mass of devotees.
“Gods are children's blankets that get carried over into adulthood.”~James Randi
Why are Topix atheists only capable of quoting someone else's thought?

It's alright. We know.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#156352 Feb 25, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Why are Topix atheists only capable of quoting someone else's thought?
It's alright. We know.
You just provided evidence that you are a liar.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#156353 Feb 25, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not the one claiming something exists that there is absolutely zero evidence for it's existence. So who's the brain washed person here? You were told there is a soul, and are brainwashed into believing it.
You're the one claiming to have special knowledge about souks that no one else has....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 16 min Eagle 12 12,631
Proof of God for the Atheist 2 hr Shizle 111
News As an atheist, how do I maintain my relationshi... 3 hr superwilly 20
News Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) 7 hr JustASkeptic 14,714
News In America, atheists are still in the closet (Apr '12) 8 hr -Stray Dog 47,794
News Atheism, the Bible and sexual orientation 11 hr par five 6
News Militant Atheists are On the March 11 hr thetruth 4
More from around the web