Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 238467 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

blacklagoon

Revere, MA

#156317 Feb 24, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
Bedtime.
That video is closer to the truth than what you have been instructed to think.
Watch it and note the symbology. Unmistakable.
This universe is a lot more dynamic than a math head can handle. They have to freeze frame for their numbers to work. The universe really doesn't care how they think it should be,
And just how do you know that the universe is a lot more dynamic than incredibly intelligent cosmologists can handle? Why do you have information that these people who have spent their lives studying, do not possess? You received your degree in astrophysicist where? You then went on to get your doctorate degree where? And the tile and publishing dates of the books you have written? And you are now active in the field in what capacity, and where? Have you ever thought of contacting these brilliant men and instructing them on the errors of their ways? You'd be doing them a service in pointing out how wrong they have been all these years.
blacklagoon

Revere, MA

#156318 Feb 24, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =phqymc8anO0XX
The you also have jugs, washboards, wash tub bass fiddles, kazoos.
All sorts of music out there.
No super ego horn tooters needed.
If it weren't for super ego horn tooters we would all still be reduced to the primitive jugs, washboards and kazoos. Thankfully we have musicians who think forward motion is really important.
blacklagoon

Revere, MA

#156319 Feb 24, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
For your listening enjoyment.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =0ThV5KavshYXX
http://www.youtube.com/watch...
Get some world music. The Global Meditation volumes 1-4 are good.
My attention span for unbelievably simplistic and repetitive music is about 8 seconds. Someone blowing through a log and a drummer are capable of holding someone with intelligence, for about 3 seconds. I actually have played this instrument, its is incredibly easy to play, not much craft here.

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#156320 Feb 24, 2013
Again you must show proof for your god before you can assign properties to it. That is logical.

Why don't you just copy and paste your link to the transcendential argument apologetic page you are stealing from?

It would save time. It's a piss poor argument that relies on jumping to conclusions and special pleading.
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Lets see your logic.
Account for absolute truth.

Lexington, KY

#156321 Feb 24, 2013
Making threats eh? Wishing violence on a non believer? Nice Christian morals you have there Daffy.
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
A Louisiana alligator, 10 feet long can bite your arm off.
Because I said so.

Lexington, KY

#156322 Feb 24, 2013
Your brain damage makes you think you actually know what you are talking about eh?
Dave Nelson wrote:
A little observation on egos, notably the over developed kind.
It is like driving down a dark highway with your brights on. You can only see what your light shines on.
Education and other such training makes those lights brighter. It also make it harder to see the dark on the side. Your eyes adjust for that extra brightness.
You miss a lot, and assume a lot.
You get an educated and civilized person going into a more primitive, or educated and civilized in a different way, and they can develop a tendency to assume a higher station in life to these poor unfortunates that weren't educated their way.
Of course, they assume the locals can see such as a given. However, they have been doing pretty well their way for generations.
Some of them are nice and gracious by their customs. Others are eager to see what wealth they can get out them. They both smile. Up to a point anyhow. The problems come when the egos try to revamp the system they invaded.
It is very hard for a superego to see the world for what it is. It is even harder to see what lies beyond it. Anything they see will have to fit into their headlights.

Lexington, KY

#156323 Feb 24, 2013
Do provide these secular sources. Not forgeries like the Josephus and Tacitus ones please.
Working for the Lord wrote:
<quoted text> There's more manuscripts, artifacts and eyewitnesses to testify to the reality of the exsistence of Jesus Christ if you really wanted to know. If you do then look it up, like you do on the things that have made you believe other wise.

Lexington, KY

#156324 Feb 24, 2013
Rest your injured brain George Burns look alike.
Dave Nelson wrote:
Bedtime.
That video is closer to the truth than what you have been instructed to think.
Watch it and note the symbology. Unmistakable.
This universe is a lot more dynamic than a math head can handle. They have to freeze frame for their numbers to work. The universe really doesn't care how they think it should be,
blacklagoon

Revere, MA

#156325 Feb 24, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Your moral and spiritual beliefs, which is what you are expressing, could not arise from random collections of matter. Those beliefs arise from religious training. Religions started a very long time ago. Very simply put, your thinking is a product of age old religious belief. That is how those morals and concepts of man were codified.
Your kneejerk rejection of religions is an emotional issue, not one of truly rational thought. Rational thought would reveal the importance and total integration of spiritual belief that exists in human existence. A religion does not have to be accurate in its accounts of creation or existence of a creator, but its spiritual aspect, and holding man's ego in check by having a higher authority to answer to is most important for mankind on the whole. It is a check and balance against a network of people who gain absolute physical control of the population. Such leads to a small group forcing their beliefs, which will be in error, on the whole, stifling creativity and advancement in thought. Those people do not become gods you must follow. Once a group like that gets established, their prime directive is staying in power and control, not the advancement of mankind. On ecan look at your posting ans thought processes and see how if you gained control, your ego would lead you to do exactly as I have said. Man's greatest weakness is when he feels he is the one in the know and in power.
I always find it refreshing when someone of great intelligence and foresight share my views on religion. The following is from the great author and brilliant mind of Arthur C. Clarke.

"There is an incurable malady which it seems attacks Homo Sapiens, that disease is religious mania. Throughout the earlier part of history, the human race had brought forth an endless success of prophets, seers, messiahs, and evangelists who convinced themselves and their followers that to them alone were the secrets of the Universe revealed. The rise of science, which with montonous regularity refuted the cosmologies of the prophets and produced miracles which they could never match, eventually destroyed all these faiths. It did not destroy the awe nor the reverence and humility. What it did weaken and finally obliterate were the countless religions, each of which claimed with unbelievable arrogance, that it was the sole repository of the truth and that millions of rivals and predecessors were all mistaken. When reality was depressing, man tries to console himself with myths."

This is Clark's vision of the future of religion. It supports my premiss that the more science reveals to us, the less we need a God thing for answers. When the mysteries of the universe are unlocked by science, and when that same science has given up a life spans as long as we want, the need for God will be pointless. To bad I'm going to miss it by about a 1000 years or so,

“Is that all you've got?”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#156326 Feb 24, 2013
There's only 16 people viewing the atheist forum tonight. Interest is waning for some reason.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#156327 Feb 25, 2013
madscot wrote:
<quoted text>
You look it up. I really don't give a shit, moron.
Madscot it's been along time for sure since talking to you under an assumed name. It's also time for you to get right with God and here's what it takes.

Hear the Word, by attending services of the Church of Christ.

Romans 10:17

So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

John 5:24-25

Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life. Verily, verily, I say unto you, The hour is coming, and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God: and they that hear shall live.

Truly Believe in God and that Jesus is His Son.

Mark 16:15-16

And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

John 3:36

He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.

Sincerely Repent of your past Sins

Romans 3:23

For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;

Acts 17:30

And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:

Luke 13:3

I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.

Confess Jesus before men.

Luke 12:8

Also I say unto you, Whosoever shall confess me before men, him shall the Son of man also confess before the angels of God:

1 John 4:15

Whosoever shall confess that Jesus is the Son of God, God dwelleth in him, and he in God.

Matthew 10:32-33

Whosoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven. But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven

Be Baptized

Colossians 2:12

Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.

Acts 2:38

Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Remain Faithful until death

Location hidden

#156328 Feb 25, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>
Put down the science book and try getting your life back to where it needs to be, in God. Go to the nearest Church of Christ and get right with God.

“Darwin died for your sins”

Since: Aug 08

Nunya

#156329 Feb 25, 2013
<quoted text> Madscot it's been along time for sure since talking to you under an assumed name. It's also time for you to get right with God and here's what it takes.
Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life. Verily, verily, I say unto you, The hour is coming, and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God: and they that hear shall live.
And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.
And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:
Also I say unto you, Whosoever shall confess me before men, him shall the Son of man also confess before the angels of God:
Whosoever shall confess that Jesus is the Son of God, God dwelleth in him, and he in God.
Whosoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven. But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven
Be Baptized
Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.
Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
No thanks. Been there, done that.

Lexington, KY

#156330 Feb 25, 2013
Why should anyone care what your ancient RPG myth says?
<quoted text> Madscot it's been along time for sure since talking to you under an assumed name. It's also time for you to get right with God and here's what it takes.
Be Baptized

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

#156331 Feb 25, 2013
<quoted text> Put down the science book and try getting your life back to where it needs to be, in God. Go to the nearest Church of Christ and get right with God.
No thanks, you can keep your myth I for one will stay with reality.
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#156332 Feb 25, 2013
nanoanomaly wrote:
There's only 16 people viewing the atheist forum tonight. Interest is waning for some reason.
Too much repetition and too many nutters?

The trolls aren't of interest. Where the intelligent go the ignorant are condemned to follow. There is little currently on the forums at the moment worth any reply. I only comment occasionally to show a presence and while monitoring the threads for anything of interest.
JMHO

Location hidden

#156333 Feb 25, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Why should anyone care what your ancient RPG myth says?
<quoted text>
How'd you come up that it's a myth, let me guess, science. Listen get you a new living translation bible, because it's the best one for beginners. Read it, you know like you do your science books. God has advised us over and over that faith is required to know God, so science is of no value. God knew this would happen, so that's why he kept telling us to use faith. The Church of Christ is the only church where you can be saved. I'm so interested on exactly why you don't believe.

“Formerly "Richard"”

In the beginning e=mc^2

#156334 Feb 25, 2013
EdSed wrote:
<quoted text>Too much repetition and too many nutters?
The trolls aren't of interest. Where the intelligent go the ignorant are condemned to follow. There is little currently on the forums at the moment worth any reply. I only comment occasionally to show a presence and while monitoring the threads for anything of interest.
JMHO
Agree obnoxious fools like Siro have infested the place.

Lexington, KY

#156335 Feb 25, 2013
Jesus told children sitting at his feet this tale of the end of the world. At the end of this story he told them that all of these things would happen before some of them died.

That was about 2000 years ago.

Even if Jesus existed he was wrong.
<quoted text> How'd you come up that it's a myth, let me guess, science. Listen get you a new living translation bible, because it's the best one for beginners. Read it, you know like you do your science books. God has advised us over and over that faith is required to know God, so science is of no value. God knew this would happen, so that's why he kept telling us to use faith. The Church of Christ is the only church where you can be saved. I'm so interested on exactly why you don't believe.

“Formerly "Richard"”

In the beginning e=mc^2

#156336 Feb 25, 2013
<quoted text> How'd you come up that it's a myth, let me guess, science. Listen get you a new living translation bible, because it's the best one for beginners. Read it, you know like you do your science books. God has advised us over and over that faith is required to know God, so science is of no value. God knew this would happen, so that's why he kept telling us to use faith. The Church of Christ is the only church where you can be saved. I'm so interested on exactly why you don't believe.
Why are 30000+ gods, 38000+ christian cults, 30-40 versions of the bibull and 4 billion hindi gods, which one is real? Why are there so many mistakes in the bibull?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 42 min woodtick57 6,727
Is God a Perfect Being? 2 hr hpcaban 3
introvert and an atheist 4 hr 10uhsee 1
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 5 hr thetruth 2,107
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 6 hr thetruth 18,906
News .com | What hope is there without God? 9 hr Thinking 6
News Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) Tue spellmeout 14,657
More from around the web