Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 239337 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“There is no god!”

Since: Jun 12

Södertälje, Sweden

#156255 Feb 24, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
No you're wrong, humanity created toilet paper as a comfort measure. God created us, we didn't create him.
if we are created from dust why is there dust left ?

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#156256 Feb 24, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Dude.......?
OK, now try and stay awake.

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#156257 Feb 24, 2013
Mikko wrote:
<quoted text>
It's absurd to be a christian
Why?

Christianity can account for the existence of Absolute Truth.

Atheism cannot.

And because atheism cannot account for absolute truth, it has no right to make claims of absolute truth...
blacklagoon

Revere, MA

#156258 Feb 24, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
Poor blacklagoon.
He is still under the illusion that we are supposed bow to his declarations of what is art, and what ain't. He could be just one of those damned critics. They go to school and are taught it should be this way, and then go out and tell everyone else what they are supposed to like.
Art is what registers with people, not with the scholars and pros. It's a communication thingy.
WRONG again!!!! Art is NOT what registers with people, true art is defined by those who understand the specific art form. Jazz and classical music are beyond your scope of understanding. You are illiterate in both art forms so they mean nothing to you. "Art is what registers with people." REALLY????? Here is a lyric from a great standard song, a song with real substance, a fully formed melody contained within a repeating classic form, accompanied by wonderfully complex harmony. I chose this because of it religiously based poetic lyrics. You don't have to be religious to see the beauty in the lyrics. From I REMEMBER YOU, the last stanza'

"And when my life is throughout, and the angels ask me to recall, the thrill of it all, then I will tell them I remember you." Now here is what "registers with people" Compare the two sets of lyrics and tell me which is art. From a person who has sold millions of DC's made millions of dollars, is popular beyond belief, tours the world, his venues sell out to hundreds of thousands. These lyrics from Justin Beiber.

Oh baby baby, oh baby, oh oh oh baby, oh baby baby baby, oh oh oh oh, baby oh. Baby baby baby, oh oh oh oh oh oh , baby baby, oh baby baby, There more, look it up. This over an opened ended form, no melody, simplistic triadic harmony and a repudiative groove. THIS is what resinates with the general public. Mindless dribble.
blacklagoon

Revere, MA

#156259 Feb 24, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You get way too emotional to be truly rational.
You play the music of the dead composers of not very long back, and whose paper has been preserved. There were many, many times that over the course of civilization. All the great ancient civilizations had music, and I am sure it got complex. I dare say they had more than just flutes and lyres to play.
They probably even had jazz and rock and roll styles.
And composers with oversized egos you never of.
All turned to dust.
HA HAHAHAHA, ROTFLMAO....Your total ignorance is startling!!!! You reach behind you, and pull shit out of your ass and fully expect people to think you know what you pulled out, too funny. Here, your stupidity for all to see...."They probably even has jazz and rock and roll styles." HA HA HA HA, demonstrated for al to see your complete lack of knowledge on the history of music. If your this stupid concerning the history of music what would make anyone think you know anything about history in general?

There you go again with your obvious problem with people with oversized egos. I do believe I detect some latent jealousy over anyone who has risen above the herd and contributed something to try and advance the art form. Is it because you are so emotionally sterile, have contributed nothing to humanity, observe from a distance those with creative minds?

"I dare say they had more than flutes and lyres to play" REALLY? Pulling more shit out of your ass? Show me some documentation on ancient instruments that shows there were more than just flutes and lyres. Pick your time in history,melts say before 2000 years ago. have at it. In the meantime, you might want to bone up on your music history as far as styles go. Start with the history of Jazz. Who knows you might even learn something about Americas ONLY true art form.

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#156261 Feb 24, 2013
Groovy beatzzzzz and a 3 pound cell phone!:))

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#156262 Feb 24, 2013
Again you are relying on obfuscation. You are flailing and failing because of it. All proof shows man created god as a comfort measure and explanation devise. We see this in every culture that has deities time and time again. Can you demonstrate proof otherwise?
No you can't. See I can show evidence of my argument. Actual secular historical proof as well as what believers themselves eagerly say. I don't need two penny word games where I twist the meaning of words, obfuscate what people say, or assign properties to a deity that I haven't established is even there!
You want to talk about the laws of logic yet assign properties to this god that you can't demonstrate is there! How more illogical can you get?
See your bullsht word games are just childish things. Time to grow up.
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
So you "absolutely" know that God does not exist...
Again, you cannot know something absolutely, unless you know "everything".
Are you claiming omniscience?

Location hidden

#156263 Feb 24, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Again you are relying on obfuscation. You are flailing and failing because of it. All proof shows man created god as a comfort measure and explanation devise. We see this in every culture that has deities time and time again. Can you demonstrate proof otherwise?
No you can't. See I can show evidence of my argument. Actual secular historical proof as well as what believers themselves eagerly say. I don't need two penny word games where I twist the meaning of words, obfuscate what people say, or assign properties to a deity that I haven't established is even there!
You want to talk about the laws of logic yet assign properties to this god that you can't demonstrate is there! How more illogical can you get?
<quoted text>
Cutting and pasting the same claims does not make you right...

Location hidden

#156264 Feb 24, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
<quoted text>
Lets see your logic.

Account for absolute truth.

Location hidden

#156265 Feb 24, 2013
You see, the atheist cannot account for absolute truth.

He can only deny it, whilst appealing to it.

All the time demanding that it go unchallenged and be accepted.

Yet without absolute truth, the atheist cannot make any argument, because they have no foundation upon which to base an atheistic argument.

Totally intellectually bankrupt, yet claiming intellectual superiority...

Location hidden

#156266 Feb 24, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
Oh baby baby, oh baby, oh oh oh baby, oh baby baby baby, oh oh oh oh, baby oh. Baby baby baby, oh oh oh oh oh oh , baby baby, oh baby baby, There more, look it up. This over an opened ended form, no melody, simplistic triadic harmony and a repudiative groove. THIS is what resinates with the general public. Mindless dribble.
Reminds me of the intellectual viability of atheism...:-)

Mindless drivel fed to the masses and consumed as intellectualism...

Location hidden

#156267 Feb 24, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>HA HAHAHAHA, ROTFLMAO....Your total ignorance is startling!!!! You reach behind you, and pull shit out of your ass and fully expect people to think you know what you pulled out, too funny. Here, your stupidity for all to see...."They probably even has jazz and rock and roll styles." HA HA HA HA, demonstrated for al to see your complete lack of knowledge on the history of music. If your this stupid concerning the history of music what would make anyone think you know anything about history in general?
There you go again with your obvious problem with people with oversized egos. I do believe I detect some latent jealousy over anyone who has risen above the herd and contributed something to try and advance the art form. Is it because you are so emotionally sterile, have contributed nothing to humanity, observe from a distance those with creative minds?
"I dare say they had more than flutes and lyres to play" REALLY? Pulling more shit out of your ass? Show me some documentation on ancient instruments that shows there were more than just flutes and lyres. Pick your time in history,melts say before 2000 years ago. have at it. In the meantime, you might want to bone up on your music history as far as styles go. Start with the history of Jazz. Who knows you might even learn something about Americas ONLY true art form.
As an atheist, can you explain why art should be considered important?

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#156268 Feb 24, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>WRONG again!!!! Art is NOT what registers with people, true art is defined by those who understand the specific art form. Jazz and classical music are beyond your scope of understanding. You are illiterate in both art forms so they mean nothing to you. "Art is what registers with people." REALLY????? Here is a lyric from a great standard song, a song with real substance, a fully formed melody contained within a repeating classic form, accompanied by wonderfully complex harmony. I chose this because of it religiously based poetic lyrics. You don't have to be religious to see the beauty in the lyrics. From I REMEMBER YOU, the last stanza'
"And when my life is throughout, and the angels ask me to recall, the thrill of it all, then I will tell them I remember you." Now here is what "registers with people" Compare the two sets of lyrics and tell me which is art. From a person who has sold millions of DC's made millions of dollars, is popular beyond belief, tours the world, his venues sell out to hundreds of thousands. These lyrics from Justin Beiber.
Frank Ifield. I remember the song well.

You made some excellent points I was going to in that first paragraph, but would put them different.

Your "true" art is only appreciated by those trained in your school of "true" art.

That last song was commercial bullshit by "true" artists. The BS DJ's and record company artists.

Most people don't know what an arpeggio is, and don't care. They go by what stirs them, unless they have some effing expert telling them what they are supposed to like. What is currently "cool". Same goes with most "art".

You have art by induction, and you have real art that appeals naturally.

That is why people will prefer listening to Buckethead instead of your contrived and constricted method. It's natural.

BTW, this old hulk that has been floating on the ocean? That is because it is in tune with the ocean. It passed a message to me. The ocean would appreciate if it could find and tell that clown that toots his horn at the waves if he found someplace else, as it is disturbing the peace and tranquility of the residents thereof.

Get some Buckethead and develop some universal soul.

Soothsayer, of course, Aunt Suzie, and Look Up There for the singles,

The albums.

Colma. You will be forced to mellow out. No choice. It will flatten your ass.
Electric Tears, Electric Sea, and Shadows Between the Sky. You will be forced to reflect. No choice.

There is more, but the picking get slimmer because he does a variety of styles. Listen to them twice and you are hooked.

Oh, next trip out on the ocean. Play some Buckethead. Davy Jones loves it.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#156269 Feb 24, 2013
Mikko wrote:
<quoted text>
It's absurd to be a christian
According to an atheist.

Westcliffe, CO

#156270 Feb 24, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>HA HAHAHAHA, ROTFLMAO....Your total ignorance is startling!!!! You reach behind you, and pull shit out of your ass and fully expect people to think you know what you pulled out, too funny. Here, your stupidity for all to see...."They probably even has jazz and rock and roll styles." HA HA HA HA, demonstrated for al to see your complete lack of knowledge on the history of music. If your this stupid concerning the history of music what would make anyone think you know anything about history in general?
Appalachia would be a good place to start to see how people got creative and made their own music. Done all over the world.

You are stuck in a box. You think orchestras visited rural villages?

I am sure ancient Indian and Chinese had some sort of orchestral arrangements.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aboriginal_rock

If they do it now, they did it then.

Didn't you watch Ringo Starr in Cave Man?

Man does not have to wait to be trained by you to make his own music.

Southern Illinois

#156271 Feb 24, 2013
Mikko wrote:
<quoted text>
if we are created from dust why is there dust left ?
If a Baker makes a cake, why is their flour left?

Obviously, the Baker didn’t need all the flour.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#156272 Feb 24, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, He has revealed Himself to humanity.
But humanity in general want to suppress that truth, so that they can continue to sin.
When, how and where did god reveal himself to humanity? Does he do it every few years so that everyone can experience it? How does this happen?

We'll wait.

Southern Illinois

#156273 Feb 24, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
They rely on.. God is real cause I said so! Lmfao!
<quoted text>
A Louisiana alligator, 10 feet long can bite your arm off.

Because I said so.

Westcliffe, CO

#156274 Feb 24, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
For your listening enjoyment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

Get some world music. The Global Meditation volumes 1-4 are good.

“ Knight Of Hyrule”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#156275 Feb 24, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
So your evidence for the Big Bang, your direct empirical evidence, is what happened 1/2 a billion years later?
Thats like saying you witnessed the bank robbery because you were in the bank the next day...
Absurd.
That figure closes in on the actual event, and considering
we have seen over 12 billion years into the past it's a pretty good indication we know whats going on.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 13 min Eagle 12 7,451
News Phil Robertson talks against Atheists 53 min thetruth 120
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 2 hr thetruth 19,061
News Atheists' problem with the Bible (Sep '09) 3 hr thetruth 7,497
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 3 hr thetruth 2,202
News Richard Dawkins insists he's not an angry athei... 6 hr geezerjock 1
Reason is the root of mental illness!!! 12 hr Thinking 3
More from around the web