Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 240074 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#156235 Feb 24, 2013
He has no proof so relies heavily on Eric Hovind style obfuscation.
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
No (and thanks for the randomly bizarre capitalization).
My argument is:
There is not now, nor has there ever been, any proof of any god's existence.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#156236 Feb 24, 2013
TheBlackSheep wrote:
Some things never change.
http://www.foxnews.com/science/2013/02/22/sci...
Scientists search for the 'unparticle'
It's a good time to be a particle physicist. The long-sought Higgs boson particle seems finally to have been found at an accelerator in Geneva, and scientists are now hot on the trail of another tiny piece of the universe, this one tied to a new fundamental force of nature.
http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/24/world/europe/sc...
Scotland's archbishop contests "inappropriate behavior" claim
(CNN)-- Scotland's Roman Catholic archbishop is contesting accusations of "inappropriate behavior" with priests, claims leveled as Cardinal Keith O'Brien prepares to join the conclave that will choose a new pope.
http://www.physlink.com/education/askexperts/...

That is how the proton was discovered. More accurately, how it was "deduced" to exist.

This was all based on total electrical charges.

That quantity became an assumed standard.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/pa...

That was the discovery of the neutron. Note how it too was "deduced"

There are issues also about the electron as a "particle".

Noting "observed". All deduced and assumed.

The proton and neutron are about 1836 times the mass of the electron.

Again "deduced" and assumed.

Various other "particles" have been "deduced" that make up the proton and neutron.

Lots of changes over the years resulting in "new particles" to fill in the holes of these "deduced".

The Higg's Boson is about 30-40 times the mass of the proton or neutron.

How could they have missed that?

Because they were wrong to begin with in their assumptions from their deductions.

They ignored how nature flows in the pursuit of a math model. It is quite evident in the technology derived from the applied sciences. As I have tried to point out, they took the physics out of physics and replaced it with math.

Theoretical physics, and disciplines that use their info, are heading down a blind alley. Thankfully, it is the applied physics people that create the stuff we use, and make the important discoveries.
christianity is EVIL

Halifax, Canada

#156237 Feb 24, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Pluto can be observed empirically with the aid of a telescope...
The big bang cannot.
False analogy...
youre LYING,you must be xian

Evidence for BB

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Big_Bang

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#156238 Feb 24, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
No.
You simply do not understand what biblical faith is.
The false atheistic misrepresentation of faith, which atheists themselves practice (a blind optimism that they can know they unknowable), is not Christian faith.
Wait, your deity's knowable?

Post his E-mail addy, will ya?

We can clear this whole thing up in no time at all.

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#156239 Feb 24, 2013
Did your preacher email you that? Hey Buck was bragging about how well you nailed his chunky @ss. So glad you two found each other. Buck will make a lovely chunky bride for our resident George Burns look alike. Sorry the Higg's boson went beyond magnets and strings Dave that just have upset you to no end.
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.physlink.com/education/askexperts/...
That is how the proton was discovered. More accurately, how it was "deduced" to exist.
This was all based on total electrical charges.
That quantity became an assumed standard.
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/pa...
That was the discovery of the neutron. Note how it too was "deduced"
There are issues also about the electron as a "particle".
Noting "observed". All deduced and assumed.
The proton and neutron are about 1836 times the mass of the electron.
Again "deduced" and assumed.
Various other "particles" have been "deduced" that make up the proton and neutron.
Lots of changes over the years resulting in "new particles" to fill in the holes of these "deduced".
The Higg's Boson is about 30-40 times the mass of the proton or neutron.
How could they have missed that?
Because they were wrong to begin with in their assumptions from their deductions.
They ignored how nature flows in the pursuit of a math model. It is quite evident in the technology derived from the applied sciences. As I have tried to point out, they took the physics out of physics and replaced it with math.
Theoretical physics, and disciplines that use their info, are heading down a blind alley. Thankfully, it is the applied physics people that create the stuff we use, and make the important discoveries.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#156240 Feb 24, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Wake up.
Dude.......?

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#156241 Feb 24, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>It's astonishing what you simply chose to ignore. You have avoided addressing the dead composers having their music played, you avoided your horrid views of mankind and your total lack of passions, and a life devoid of elegance, grace, and seeking out the very best in life as well as art. You also have avoided what it is that you leave behind and of what importance your life has been.
Instead you ramble on and on about spiritual matters, try with all your might to connect morality and my personal beliefs with religion. You are so shallow that you can't imagine someone who's thoughts and actions are totally devoid of religious beliefs. I have NO spiritual beliefs. I don't accept the concept of "spirit." the non-physical part of man. My emotions and character are a result of my life's experiences coupled with the knowledge I have gained about the world around me, and not because of some religious Voodoo.
You seem to look upon ego and knowing, as a detriment. You relish in the "herd" mentality of religion. You think being part of the "herd" being a member of the "flock" one "sheep" among many is virtuous. Seeking knowledge, raising above the herd, building your ego, being proud of your accomplishments, striving to be the best you can be, better than those around you, those are worthy goals.
"Holding mans ego in check and being answerable to a higher power." What bullish. This is the power that religion seeks to weld over man. BORN SICK AND COMMANDED TO BE WELL. The nuts and bolts of religion. Keep the sheep under our thumb. Make them know that a celestial dictator can peer into their most private thoughts and convict them of thought crimes. Cower to this imaginary being, spend your life under his thumb and you will be rewarded by never truly dying. You can live forever. Kiss Gods ass, remain a member of the herd and all will be well. The phrase "Member of the flock" tells me all I need to know about the mindset of religion. And you buy into it, go down without a whimper, totally subjugated by an imaginary being, grazing with the herd, your pitiful fool.
You get way too emotional to be truly rational.

You play the music of the dead composers of not very long back, and whose paper has been preserved. There were many, many times that over the course of civilization. All the great ancient civilizations had music, and I am sure it got complex. I dare say they had more than just flutes and lyres to play.

They probably even had jazz and rock and roll styles.

And composers with oversized egos you never of.

All turned to dust.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#156242 Feb 24, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Toilet paper was invented for hygienic purposes Daffy. Humanity created god as a comfort measure and explanation devise. Humanity is growing up and more and more realize it's time to put away childish things.
<quoted text>
I find your opinion is useful when it’s printed on toilet paper and used appropriately. Other than that, it’s useless.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#156243 Feb 24, 2013
Chane my previous post to read.

"And composers with oversized egos you never "heard" of.

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#156244 Feb 24, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
That is not what he said and you know it. What we do know is you come on here bleating your Eric Hovind arguments, close your eyes and run away when presented with reason. Again two penny word games, twisting the meaning of words and obfuscating what people said does not show proof for god. In fact you resorting to such childish tactics proves you know there is no real proof which is why you employ such word games.
<quoted text>
You could of course make this ad hominem attacks all the time, but it does not make you right.

The alternative is to actually deal with the arguments presented.

But you cannot.

Which means your only recourse is ad hominem.

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#156245 Feb 24, 2013
mtimber wrote:
Atheism refuted:
Without God, "absolute knowledge" of anything is impossible...
Givemeliberty wrote:
Why? You must demonstrate proof there is avid before you can assign attributes to it.
<quoted text>
I am not sure what avid is.

Absolute truth is by its nature self attesting.

Think about it...

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#156246 Feb 24, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
First you have to prove or even define what this spirit of truth even is before you can claim it. Name these specific people who saw Jesus walk on water and show secular proof they existed and made this claim.
Until you are able to do this you cannot use them as credible witnesses.
:)
Oh how your word games fail you. Time to put away such childish things and grow up.
<quoted text>
I agree with you argument.

First of all you have to be able to account for Absolute Truth, before you can make truth claims.

And I can account for it, because the God who Created everything has revealed that account to humanity.

You however, as an atheist, cannot account for Absolute Truth.

So you cannot demand it from another, until you can account for Absolute Truth, from which to argue from...

As you cannot do that, you have no basis to question anything...

Account for Absolute Truth...

No?

Didn't think so...:-)

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#156247 Feb 24, 2013
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
They were full of something!!
Prejudicial arbitrary ad hominem does not make you right...

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#156248 Feb 24, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Goofy iPhone lol! You must demonstrate there is a god before you can assign attributes to it.
<quoted text>
God has already demonstrated Himself.

Through the absolutes that you keep appealing to, that He has revealed to you.

Those absolutes you cannot account for, then have to use, whilst denying they exist.

The very fact that you are reduced to absurdity when confronted with the truh, reveals the truth!

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#156249 Feb 24, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> Sure it can, to within half a billion years it is directly observed. That's 500 million doll.
So your evidence for the Big Bang, your direct empirical evidence, is what happened 1/2 a billion years later?

Thats like saying you witnessed the bank robbery because you were in the bank the next day...

Absurd.

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#156250 Feb 24, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Again you are relying on obfuscation. You are flailing and failing because of it. All proof shows man created god as a comfort measure and explanation devise. We see this in every culture that has deities time and time again. Can you demonstrate proof otherwise?
No you can't. See I can show evidence of my argument. Actual secular historical proof as well as what believers themselves eagerly say. I don't need two penny word games where I twist the meaning of words, obfuscate what people say, or assign properties to a deity that I haven't established is even there!
You want to talk about the laws of logic yet assign properties to this god that you can't demonstrate is there! How more illogical can you get?
See your bullsht word games are just childish things. Time to grow up.
<quoted text>
So you "absolutely" know that God does not exist...

Again, you cannot know something absolutely, unless you know "everything".

Are you claiming omniscience?

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#156251 Feb 24, 2013
christianity is EVIL wrote:
<quoted text>
youre LYING,you must be xian
Evidence for BB
http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Big_Bang
I am lying?

What about?

That Pluto can be observed?

Or that the Big Bang cannot and has not been observed?

“There is no god!”

Since: Jun 12

Södertälje, Sweden

#156252 Feb 24, 2013
mtimber wrote:
Atheism is so absurd.
It's absurd to be a christian

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#156253 Feb 24, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.physlink.com/education/askexperts/...
That is how the proton was discovered. More accurately, how it was "deduced" to exist.
This was all based on total electrical charges.
That quantity became an assumed standard.
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/pa...
That was the discovery of the neutron. Note how it too was "deduced"
There are issues also about the electron as a "particle".
Noting "observed". All deduced and assumed.
The proton and neutron are about 1836 times the mass of the electron.
Again "deduced" and assumed.
Various other "particles" have been "deduced" that make up the proton and neutron.
Lots of changes over the years resulting in "new particles" to fill in the holes of these "deduced".
The Higg's Boson is about 30-40 times the mass of the proton or neutron.
How could they have missed that?
Because they were wrong to begin with in their assumptions from their deductions.
They ignored how nature flows in the pursuit of a math model. It is quite evident in the technology derived from the applied sciences. As I have tried to point out, they took the physics out of physics and replaced it with math.
Theoretical physics, and disciplines that use their info, are heading down a blind alley. Thankfully, it is the applied physics people that create the stuff we use, and make the important discoveries.
Good post.

The standard response is:

"Yes we are often wrong, but we learn from that and earn some moral gold stars for admitting that.

Except about God of course, we are never wrong about that...!"

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#156254 Feb 24, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Wait, your deity's knowable?
Post his E-mail addy, will ya?
We can clear this whole thing up in no time at all.
Yes, He has revealed Himself to humanity.

But humanity in general want to suppress that truth, so that they can continue to sin.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 27 min Thinking 2,241
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 1 hr MikeF 19,151
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 5 hr Thinking 7,667
News Phil Robertson talks against Atheists 14 hr The_Box 139
The Ultimate Evidence of God (Mar '14) 18 hr Reason Personified 166
News Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) 18 hr Reason Personified 14,660
News Atheists' problem with the Bible (Sep '09) Mon NoahLovesU 7,514
More from around the web