Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#155931 Feb 23, 2013
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
This is completely false. I'll take whatever position the evidence takes me in. You take positions even if there is no evidence for them at all.
<quoted text>
Not knowingly make false statements? You said I was wrong when you knew I was right.
See? You think your right that souls don't exist.

You've even congratulated yourself for it.

There is no evidence to back up your claim, that makes it your belief - not fact.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#155932 Feb 23, 2013
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
Did mommy and daddy... oops, sorry! Did mommy tell you about the 70's?
And the sign said "Long-haired freaky people need not apply"
So I tucked my hair up under my hat and I went in to ask him why
He said "You look like a fine upstanding young man, I think you'll do"
So I took off my hat, I said "Imagine that. Huh! Me workin' for you!"
Whoa-oh-oh

Sign, sign, everywhere a sign
Blockin' out the scenery, breakin' my mind
Do this, don't do that, can't you read the sign?
And the sign said anybody caught trespassin' would be shot on sight
So I jumped on the fence and-a yelled at the house, "Hey! What gives you
the
right?"

"To put up a fence to keep me out or to keep mother nature in"
"If God was here he'd tell you to your face, Man, you're some kinda sinner"
Sign, sign, everywhere a sign
Blockin' out the scenery, breakin' my mind
Do this, don't do that, can't you read the sign?
Now, hey you, mister, can't you read?
You've got to have a shirt and tie to get a seat
You can't even watch, no you can't eat
You ain't supposed to be here
The sign said you got to have a membership card to get inside
Ugh!

And the sign said, "Everybody welcome. Come in, kneel down and pray"
But when they passed around the plate at the end of it all, I didn't have a
penny to pay
So I got me a pen and a paper and I made up my own little sign
I said, "Thank you, Lord, for thinkin''bout me. I'm alive and doin' fine."
Wooo!

Sign, sign, everywhere a sign
Blockin' out the scenery, breakin' my mind
Do this, don't do that, can't you read the sign?
Sign, sign, everywhere a sign
Sign
Sign, sign

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#155933 Feb 23, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
See? You think your right that souls don't exist.
Of course. There's no evidence for them.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
There is no evidence to back up your claim, that makes it your belief - not fact.
Ok, buddy. I guess you BELIEVE that houses don't have house-souls and you BELIEVE cars don't run on fairy magic.
blacklagoon

Revere, MA

#155934 Feb 23, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
The architecture housing the invisible life force, which is your thoughts, emotions, etc of an invisible and physically unmeasurable nature decomposes.
It is an assumption that energy, which those things are, just collapses and dissolves with the architecture. At the minimum, independent of a belief there is a spirit or soul responsible for this manifestation, those are energy fields woven from the material world. Loops are started, just as you have with molecules, that try to maintain themselves, just like atoms do. You can't "see" this energy, so you can't assume it dissipates with the material.
In ever human there lies a dormant energy, this energy has no name, some call it the "anti-soul" some call it "The energy of reason" It lies dormant because in order to access this energy your mind must be "cleared' from all preconceived notions. Only free thinkers and Atheists can access this energy. Theists have their minds dialed to preconceived ideas about everything found in the cosmos and cannot unlock this valuable energy source. Since "ALL" people of religion have preconceived ideas about every aspect of life, this energy is unreachable. Those that CAN tap this energy find it opens a universe of unlimited possibilities. The awe and majesty that results is so much more satisfying than pigeonholing everything into one total unreasonable event, filled with mythical beings and magical events.

Those that can tap this valuable resource can begin the journey of discovery. For those where religion has dictated a preconceived answer, the journey of discover can never really begin. Oh, some will say there are scientists who are deeply religious and still can take the journey of discovery, but once a preconceived attitude is set, the hidden energy can never be released, so the work these scientist do is ALWAYS tainted with their preconceived ideas, and they can never really take part in the journey of discovery like those without such preconceived ideas.

I am so glad I can tap this energy, the cosmos is so much more awe inspiring. Poor you!!!!

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#155935 Feb 23, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
And the sign said "Long-haired freaky people need not apply"
Wow! You copied and pasted the lyrics for a 1970's song! That must mean that you are old!

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#155936 Feb 23, 2013
The_Box wrote:
Of course. There's no evidence for them.
There is no evidence AGAINST them.
Ok, buddy. I guess you BELIEVE that houses don't have house-souls and you BELIEVE cars don't run on fairy magic.
There is evidence AGAINST those.

Do pay attention. You have a belief. You refuse to admit it. Why?

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#155937 Feb 23, 2013
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
You cry when I read!
If you buy a Hebrew slave,
You mention slavery in the biblical times yet you fail to educate the populace that slavery is an ongoing issue even today in the United States. Your motives is obviously is not to condemn slavery.

It’s obvious the issue of slavery is something you could care less about. If you did you would be more passionate about slavery today. It never comes up in your rants. It’s pretty transparent you are unconcerned.

Since you won’t bring up that slavery continues today, I will.

http://www.state.gov/j/tip/what/index.htm

What is Modern Slavery?

Over the past 15 years,“trafficking in persons” and “human trafficking” have been used as umbrella terms for activities involved when someone obtains or holds a person in compelled service.

The United States government considers trafficking in persons to include all of the criminal conduct involved in forced labor and sex trafficking, essentially the conduct involved in reducing or holding someone in compelled service. Under the Trafficking Victims Protection Act as amended (TVPA) and consistent with the United Nations Protocol to Prevent, Suppress and Punish Trafficking in Persons, Especially Women and Children (Palermo Protocol), individuals may be trafficking victims regardless of whether they once consented, participated in a crime as a direct result of being trafficked, were transported into the exploitative situation, or were simply born into a state of servitude. Despite a term that seems to connote movement, at the heart of the phenomenon of trafficking in persons are the many forms of enslavement, not the activities involved in international transportation.

Forced Labor
Also known as involuntary servitude, forced labor may result when unscrupulous employers exploit workers made more vulnerable by high rates of unemployment, poverty, crime, discrimination, corruption, political conflict, or even cultural acceptance of the practice. Immigrants are particularly vulnerable, but individuals also may be forced into labor in their own countries. Female victims of forced or bonded labor, especially women and girls in domestic servitude, are often sexually exploited as well.

Sex Trafficking
When an adult is coerced, forced, or deceived into prostitution – or maintained in prostitution through coercion – that person is a victim of trafficking. All of those involved in recruiting, transporting, harboring, receiving, or obtaining the person for that purpose have committed a trafficking crime. Sex trafficking can also occur within debt bondage, as women and girls are forced to continue in prostitution through the use of unlawful “debt” purportedly incurred through their transportation, recruitment, or even their crude “sale,” which exploiters insist they must pay off before they can be free.

It is critical to understand that a person’s initial consent to participate in prostitution is not legally determinative; if an individual is thereafter held in service through psychological manipulation or physical force, that person is a trafficking victim and should receive the benefits outlined in the United Nations’ Palermo Protocol and applicable laws.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#155938 Feb 23, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>In ever human there lies a dormant energy, this energy has no name, some call it the "anti-soul" some call it "The energy of reason" It lies dormant because in order to access this energy your mind must be "cleared' from all preconceived notions. Only free thinkers and Atheists can access this energy. Theists have their minds dialed to preconceived ideas about everything found in the cosmos and cannot unlock this valuable energy source. Since "ALL" people of religion have preconceived ideas about every aspect of life, this energy is unreachable. Those that CAN tap this energy find it opens a universe of unlimited possibilities. The awe and majesty that results is so much more satisfying than pigeonholing everything into one total unreasonable event, filled with mythical beings and magical events.
Those that can tap this valuable resource can begin the journey of discovery. For those where religion has dictated a preconceived answer, the journey of discover can never really begin. Oh, some will say there are scientists who are deeply religious and still can take the journey of discovery, but once a preconceived attitude is set, the hidden energy can never be released, so the work these scientist do is ALWAYS tainted with their preconceived ideas, and they can never really take part in the journey of discovery like those without such preconceived ideas.
I am so glad I can tap this energy, the cosmos is so much more awe inspiring. Poor you!!!!
Your journey will have an eternal price to pay. Go to the nearest Church of Christ and get baptized and start your journey with God as your guide on a journey of happiness that will never end, instead of the dead-end one you're about to take.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#155939 Feb 23, 2013
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow! You copied and pasted the lyrics for a 1970's song! That must mean that you are old!
There’s nothing wrong with being young. Old is what happens if you continue to live. Old has been redefined by the way. It was one time people in their 60’s. But now people in their 60’s is considered young. Old is like 90-100+.

So if you want to consider that I’m young that is always a compliment.

:)

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#155940 Feb 23, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
You mention slavery in the biblical times yet you fail to educate the populace that slavery is an ongoing issue even today in the United States.
Quit your gd crying! Your god never said that slavery was wrong.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#155941 Feb 23, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no evidence AGAINST them.
The burden of proof is on you, RR
RiversideRedneck wrote:
There is evidence AGAINST those.
No, there isn't. You can't provide evidence against them. They're completely unfalsifiable. There is nothing you could see, hear, touch, find, or detect that would be evidence against house-souls.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#155942 Feb 23, 2013
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
Quit your gd crying! Your god never said that slavery was wrong.
What did God say about slavery?

To whom?

When?

Why?

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#155943 Feb 23, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
You mention slavery in the biblical times yet you fail to educate the populace that slavery is an ongoing issue even today in the United States. Your motives is obviously is not to condemn slavery.
It's pretty disingenuous to compare an open practice that is defended as ethical to an illegal, underground practice.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#155944 Feb 23, 2013
The_Box wrote:
No, there isn't. You can't provide evidence against them. They're completely unfalsifiable. There is nothing you could see, hear, touch, find, or detect that would be evidence against house-souls.
That's the "gotcha". Thanks.

The same can be said of human souls.

And you wrote it.
christianity is EVIL

Halifax, Canada

#155945 Feb 23, 2013
Working for the Lord wrote:
Atheists and the word "faith". Atheists understand thoroughly the word faith, they understand the meaning and how it's used. Atheists just like the rest of us use faith everyday in one way or another, whether in people or things it's a fact that we all use it everyday. Since atheists use it for other purposes, then why do they not use it to believe in God? The atheists believe their must be proof, facts that substantiate without a doubt something exsists or not. Faith which is used daily is proven to work when one uses it over and over in their lives or they wouldn't continue to use it. An example of faith for instance would be like having faith in a service such as your phone carrier you use, as long as that service runs smoothly you're happy, when it starts to cause you headaches you then have no faith in it as a good phone service, so you change phone carriers. Having faith in people is another way we demostrate the use of faith. Let's say for instance you use a doctor who has always taken the time to listen to you and showed a level of compassion you became use to expecting, and then you noticed his attitude and his lack of paying attention changed and you felt uncomfortable with him displaying this type of behaviour over the course of the last 5 visits, so now you have lost faith in him and you now seek another doctor.. Atheists must have scientific proof that God exsists before they will believe, but they have no problem believing in people or things through faith but refuse to allow themselves to utilize faith to believe in God. God has made it perfectly clear time after time that no calculation or deciphering or scientific testing will ever prove of his exsistence, again time after time God has made it clear that no testing by a man made method will ever prove of him exsisting. He tells us the only way you can know he exsists and he tells us this many many times to make sure we understand that FAITH is the only way to know of him being real. God has made it to where on judgment day no excuses will be used, like the excuse of not using faith to believe in him as we do in people and things in our lives. This seals the fate of those who refuse to believe in God for what ever reason.(12 min ago (55 min ago | post #479)
god never said that
..,youve been brainwashed into IDIOCY
and we KNOW your god isnt real,

www.evilbible.com/Impossible.htm

spread the Word

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#155946 Feb 23, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>In ever human there lies a dormant energy, this energy has no name, some call it the "anti-soul" some call it "The energy of reason" It lies dormant because in order to access this energy your mind must be "cleared' from all preconceived notions. Only free thinkers and Atheists can access this energy. Theists have their minds dialed to preconceived ideas about everything found in the cosmos and cannot unlock this valuable energy source. Since "ALL" people of religion have preconceived ideas about every aspect of life, this energy is unreachable. Those that CAN tap this energy find it opens a universe of unlimited possibilities. The awe and majesty that results is so much more satisfying than pigeonholing everything into one total unreasonable event, filled with mythical beings and magical events.
Those that can tap this valuable resource can begin the journey of discovery. For those where religion has dictated a preconceived answer, the journey of discover can never really begin. Oh, some will say there are scientists who are deeply religious and still can take the journey of discovery, but once a preconceived attitude is set, the hidden energy can never be released, so the work these scientist do is ALWAYS tainted with their preconceived ideas, and they can never really take part in the journey of discovery like those without such preconceived ideas.
I am so glad I can tap this energy, the cosmos is so much more awe inspiring. Poor you!!!!
That was quite amusing.

I have a few of those T-shirts in my drawer.

Oh, my young friend with a not fully developed appreciation of music, this old hulk you see has sailed the calm and stormy seas, setting sail and reaching many ports. It has survived broadsides and pirates. It has also been caught in the irons and struggled to get under away. It has passed perilously close to the rocks. It has been caught in the stills, baking in the sun, the varnish peeling, the sails dry rotted away, and ship's stores depleted. It has spent the last many years drifting, following the currents and the breeze, gazing upon what passes in view. Reflecting on what it has seen in the past in its travels and the false notions that led it into those stills or a bad tack. It can no longer struggle against tides and winds. It just waits and enjoys the view until the sea claims it.

Oh, my young sprig, this old persimmon has weathered storms, drought, extreme heat, and the bugs. It has lived its life. It has experienced just about all a persimmon can experience. It is ripe, maybe a little overripe, and ready to drop to the ground to start a new life, or to sustain another one. The sun, wind, rain, and the bugs, no longer bother it. You may see it fall past you as you grow. If you survive the sun, wind, and the bugs.

I'm not on here to save your soul, or to gain knowledge that won't do no good in this manifestation. This is just passing time.

You ain't been no place I ain't been. You should listen to you elders more, laddybuck.

Or something like that.

Reminds me of a song.

Anon

Lakewood, OH

#155947 Feb 23, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>In ever human there lies a dormant energy, this energy has no name, some call it the "anti-soul" some call it "The energy of reason" It lies dormant because in order to access this energy your mind must be "cleared' from all preconceived notions. Only free thinkers and Atheists can access this energy. Theists have their minds dialed to preconceived ideas about everything found in the cosmos and cannot unlock this valuable energy source. Since "ALL" people of religion have preconceived ideas about every aspect of life, this energy is unreachable. Those that CAN tap this energy find it opens a universe of unlimited possibilities. The awe and majesty that results is so much more satisfying than pigeonholing everything into one total unreasonable event, filled with mythical beings and magical events.
Those that can tap this valuable resource can begin the journey of discovery. For those where religion has dictated a preconceived answer, the journey of discover can never really begin. Oh, some will say there are scientists who are deeply religious and still can take the journey of discovery, but once a preconceived attitude is set, the hidden energy can never be released, so the work these scientist do is ALWAYS tainted with their preconceived ideas, and they can never really take part in the journey of discovery like those without such preconceived ideas.
I am so glad I can tap this energy, the cosmos is so much more awe inspiring. Poor you!!!!
Oh wow, man. Mystical powers! Can you levitate too?

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#155948 Feb 23, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
That's the "gotcha". Thanks.
The same can be said of human souls.
And you wrote it.
Yes, thank you for admitting that you believe something equally as unevidenced as house-souls.

You rejected the idea of house-souls as ridiculous, but you accept human souls even though they're the same thing.

I don't believe in either one.

One of us is consistent in our acceptance of claims; one of us is not.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#155949 Feb 23, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no evidence AGAINST them.
<quoted text>
There is evidence AGAINST those.
Do pay attention. You have a belief. You refuse to admit it. Why?
Here is one clue there is no such thing.
If you possessed a soul that could see without physical eyes, like
in a OOBE suggests you could. Then it would be useless to close your eyelids , because you would still see everything. This shows that OOBE's are nothing but a brain condition. Also.....

If you possessed knowledge independent of brain tissue.
When people suffer severe brain trauma , they would not lose memories and would not need therapy to regain motor function.

There are many lines of evidence there is no such thing as a soul.
A large piece of evidence is that not once in 200,000 years has anyone been able to positively communicate back from the state of death. Scam artist and charlatan mediums don't count.
If something exists after death, it can't effect the physical.
Doesn't exist within the physical, so it doesn't exist in our reality.

blacklagoon

Revere, MA

#155950 Feb 23, 2013
Working for the Lord wrote:
<quoted text> Your journey will have an eternal price to pay. Go to the nearest Church of Christ and get baptized and start your journey with God as your guide on a journey of happiness that will never end, instead of the dead-end one you're about to take.
Ahh, the never-ending threats from the religiously unfriendly. Your attitude is exactly why peoples of our planet will never be united, why peace and tranquility will never be achieved. You people draw a line in the sand. Step over the line and join my exclusive club or suffer eternal torture. Every time you make a statement like this it further proves how divisive religion is. Your religion is a poison, a disease upon our species. It should be eradicated like any other dangerous disease.

BTW Why would I ever consider starting a journey of any kind with a fictitious being?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Introducing The Universal Religion (Feb '14) 5 min Patrick 762
An atheist returns to Christ (Jan '09) 1 hr Patrick 4,094
Atheism vs. Theism: Knowns and Unknowns 2 hr woodtick57 100
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 2 hr emperorjohn 22,217
Atheists forgetting the meaning of freedom 3 hr Thinking 77
Stump a theist with 2 questions 7 hr TheHeadlines 58
Bill Maher's "dirty secret": He's deeply religi... 12 hr Thinking 5
•••

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••