Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
149,841 - 149,860 of 224,357 Comments Last updated 1 hr ago

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
But there is also no evidence that it doesn't occur!
There literally CAN'T be evidence that it doesn't occur. The claim is unfalsifiable.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2013

Dave Nelson wrote:
Why is it Topix atheists have no real intellectual curiosity? It seems all they can do is blurt.
Is it really necessary for the body human to have so many zits? Is this part of a growing and maturing process? Or has mankind ate too much junk food?
The words of a defeated creationist with no proof of god, who can't stop immorally lying about his beliefs.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
That's it huh? You just turn off like a broken TV and get discarded? That is your assumption.
I view it more like a candle flame that is blown out. And it is *your* assumption that there is more than this even though there is no evidence of such. What we do know is that after we die we decompose (assuming we aren't preserved in formaldehyde or something similar). If you have any evidence of anything more, please present it.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2013

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Then why can't you understand a soul, brain, or what have you can be translocated or transmuted to a different realm or medium?
There is nothing difficult about the *concept*. Now, is there any evidence that it happens in reality? Any evidence at all that this program can run on different hardware? Any evidence that it does, in fact, run on different hardware (or even without hardware)?

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2013

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
None that that specific phenomenon regarding human souls does, but only because science hasn't figured how to measure it yet.
And this is in spite of many, many attempts to find a way to measure it. At what point do we simply admit it doesn't exist?

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2013

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
It's funny how little you know about physics. Gravity has already been determined to be the weakest force in nature, that's really old news. You act like these tiny news articles are actually something huge or new, that would be cute if you were 10 years old, but knowing you're an adult makes it sad.
And if you actually read the article, it is clear that the difference is due to collisions between the binary star systems.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2013

Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
I have no belief in this, as the truth is I want to think there is something there. But the evidence says I'm wrong , and the brain is mind. What ever it is that makes us, us ..that resides within the physical body , only exists when the body is alive.
I understand that's your belief.

I can't say you're wrong & I can't say you're right.

Neither can you.

But thanks for your honesty.

Goin shooting today?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2013

Givemeliberty wrote:
Funny I didn't see you answer
You ain't worth answering, you filthy piece of shit.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2013

Givemeliberty wrote:
Like the typical Christhole he thinks his baseless opinion is fact.
<quoted text>
Like the typical Athihole he thinks his baseless opinion is fact.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2013

Givemeliberty wrote:
Actually women are taking over more and more of the adult industry as directors and producers. Men are being totally phased out in that regards. Lol
So........ You're gonna be out of a job soon? Lettin a broad take your place?!

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2013

polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
I view it more like a candle flame that is blown out. And it is *your* assumption that there is more than this even though there is no evidence of such. What we do know is that after we die we decompose (assuming we aren't preserved in formaldehyde or something similar). If you have any evidence of anything more, please present it.
The architecture housing the invisible life force, which is your thoughts, emotions, etc of an invisible and physically unmeasurable nature decomposes.

It is an assumption that energy, which those things are, just collapses and dissolves with the architecture. At the minimum, independent of a belief there is a spirit or soul responsible for this manifestation, those are energy fields woven from the material world. Loops are started, just as you have with molecules, that try to maintain themselves, just like atoms do. You can't "see" this energy, so you can't assume it dissipates with the material.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2013

Judged:

polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
And this is in spite of many, many attempts to find a way to measure it. At what point do we simply admit it doesn't exist?
Then you are attempting the wrong way.

All forces occupy space. Space is part of the circuitry of the universe. If you are just measuring the energetic paths, what we call matter, with matter, then you will miss a lot. Those forces transverse space. Space is a carrier.

Space is essentially the ground plane. You have to develop a method to read changes in it. Believe or not, you do that with material observation. You are inserting a resistance or displacement, and thus a polarity.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2013

Judged:

Aerobatty wrote:
Why do you go by the assumption that souls DO exist?
Because that is my belief and there's no evidence that they DON'T exist.
Some people believe this so strongly that they waste their lives in misery just waiting to "die" into their immortal souls.
Who? Who "wastes their lives in misery"??
If there is no soul, they've just wasted their lives. If there is, they've still wasted their lives.
If there is no soul then there's nothing to lose by believing there is one.

If there is a soul, there's a lot to lose by believing there isn't one.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2013

Judged:

The_Box wrote:
Ok, then why did you say I was wrong?
Because its more likely that I'll sprout an oak tree out of my ass rather than break through the ego of an atheist such as yourself.

You've made up your mind.

You think your assumptions are fact & you've convinced yourself of that.

What am I to do?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2013

polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
There is nothing difficult about the *concept*. Now, is there any evidence that it happens in reality? Any evidence at all that this program can run on different hardware? Any evidence that it does, in fact, run on different hardware (or even without hardware)?
Not yet.

But don't assume for one second that we've tapped all the knowledge of the universe....

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2013

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Because its more likely that I'll sprout an oak tree out of my ass rather than break through the ego of an atheist such as yourself.
You've made up your mind.
You think your assumptions are fact & you've convinced yourself of that.
This is completely false. I'll take whatever position the evidence takes me in. You take positions even if there is no evidence for them at all.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
What am I to do?
Not knowingly make false statements? You said I was wrong when you knew I was right.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2013

Judged:

River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Punctuation and sentence structure is your friend here.
I'm not.
Do you think pedophiles should be hung by the neck until they're dead?
Yes, there would be a lot fewer if they were.

Southern Illinois

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2013

River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Katy Lied
http://www.youtube.com/watch...
Relax, just saying.
Very hip and brings back memories of the 70ís.

There is a message there in the lyrics.

Thank you, just saying.

Southern Illinois

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2013

Judged:

Working for the Lord wrote:
I found it interesting but Atheist won't bother to read it and that's a shame.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2013

Judged:

Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I found it interesting but Atheist won't bother to read it and that's a shame.
Yeah you're right.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

5 Users are viewing the Atheism Forum right now

Search the Atheism Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Our world came from nothing? 10 hr NightSerf 240
20+ Questions for Theists (Apr '13) 13 hr Patrick 385
What does "Atheism" mean? 15 hr Reason Personified 10
Introducing The Universal Religion 16 hr Reason Personified 733
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 20 hr DonPanic 21,400
Talking some sense into you people... 22 hr religionisillness 24
The numbers are in: America still distrusts ath... 22 hr religionisillness 19
•••
•••