Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
149,701 - 149,720 of 224,019 Comments Last updated 2 hrs ago

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you for sharing your belief.
Decomp, is a fact of life, in death.
But that was the main reason we invented refrigeration, to slow the process.

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2013

Well Mary did not marry the father of the baby so regardless he would have been a bastard. Great list :)
CunningLinguist wrote:
<quoted text>
10 important questions to be asked by any rational person as a guide to the question of whether or not there is a God.
1. If logic is the hallmark that separates man from beast, why is religion then a matter of “faith”, rather than rationality?
2. If something cannot be proved, then why do people continue to believe in it?
3. If there is a God, which is the real one and how come when a culture no longer exists neither do its gods? Isis? Ra? Neptune? Zeus? Apollo? Thor? Quetzacoatle?
4. If the Christian God is monotheistic how can it also be triune with Jesus & the Holy Spirit?
5. If God was the father of Jesus via the “immaculate conception”, wasn’t Mary technically raped & impregnated against her will?
6. If Jesus was born to a mother who was unwed doesn’t that make him a bastard?
7. If “Christ died for your sins on the cross”, how much of a sacrifice was it really, considering he’s immortal?
8. Why do people continue to believe in religion’s gods when promises made for thousands of years have yet to be delivered, whereas, science has shown us the earth is NOT flat, the earth revolves around the sun and not the other way around, medicine heals but prayers don’t, and although we can’t literally walk on water we can circumnavigate the globe underwater in a submarine and fly to the moon?
9. If God made the earth and then created a great flood to wipe it out, how could a perfect, infallible being make something needing to be destroyed and begun anew?
10. If God “gave his only son” to save us from our sins, then why do we have to do anything?

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2013

This is why you need to flee from those intelligent design rejects.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm...

This is old news.
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong.
NDE's are not well-understood, and have no current scientific explanation.
Your explanation offered here is of no use. NDE's bear practically no resemblance to hallucinations.
The way neuroscience deals with it is to explain certain neural correlates that take place in the brain, then claim they explained the phenomenon.
They lie, in other words.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2013

The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
There's strong evidence of that. Sensory perception, memory, emotion, personality, and thought are all functions of the brain.
When you die, your brain decomposes and those things (you) are gone.
...unless you can evidence a mechanism by which they are saved. Can you?
Yours may have had a head start.

Ever copy a file over wireless?

Space and matter occupy the same universe. Matter displaces space, moving space displaces space, space can displace matter through space. You have space within the atomic realm surrounded by material strands and energy. Matter vibrates space, space can vibrate matter by vibrating that space within those strands.

Your material self is vibrating matter.

Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2013

Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
When you say “Fundie,” are you talking about a special ice cream cone?
Well it’s a bit too cold for that.
What's wrong with you?

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2013

Uh hey reject... You do know people can go back to see you braying that you had only done this once right? I notice you cowered away from the other facts I proved you wrong on.

In other words, you got nothing. Which we already knew half wit.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
OMG!
How many times will yousay that so I can agree with it?

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You are, of course, assuming that we don't have a soul OR you're assuming that our souls are limited to our physical brains.
This is silliness. I don't have to "assume" souls don't exist. You have no evidence that they do.

I gave you a perfectly reasonable argument.
- Various things that constitute 'you' are located in the brain.- When you die, the brain is destroyed.
- Therefore,'you' are destroyed.

Can you provide evidence for a mechanism by which 'you' are saved after death or not?

Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
What do you think happens after death?
Depends whose death it was.

If, say, the President dies, the VP becomes president.

If a husband dies, we have a widow.

There are lots of other possibilities, too.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2013

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, that process is well known.

Can you evidence the process by which a person's memory and personality are copied upon death?

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You are, of course, assuming that we don't have a soul OR you're assuming that our souls are limited to our physical brains.
As of yet, science is unable to answer the question: Do we have a soul?
So anyone claiming we don't is either ignorant or lying.

We may yet invent the possibility, but for now .
They do not exist.

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2013

Seeing as how Dave has suffered irreversible damage to his brain is it any surprise he goes on these childish rants? During his NDE he had a vision of Jesus with magnets in each hand saying... These are the keys Dave you need string to bind it all together!

Dave replied.. You are real! Yes oh lord I shall carry on your magnet work! Can I have those magnets as proof I met you?

Jesus answered. No George Burns look alike for these magnets are closing the holes in my hands!

Lmfao!
Dave Nelson wrote:
http://scitechdaily.com/using- a-fifth-force-of-nature-to-pro be-earths-deep-interior/
As far as modern physics goes, this will lead to a serious re-writing of the books. If the effort isn't killed and buried quickly.
http://scitechdaily.com/gravity-alone-does-no...
The beginning of the end for gravity based cosmology.
http://scitechdaily.com/study-shows-that-bees...
There is that pesky EM again.
EM is not what they define and pigeonhole it to. It is the grand polarity induced into the universe. All the rest is effects.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2013

Aura Mytha wrote:
Decomp, is a fact of life, in death.
But that was the main reason we invented refrigeration, to slow the process.
Refrigerated dirt?

hmmm.....

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2013

Givemeliberty wrote:
Uh hey reject... You do know people can go back to see you braying that you had only done this once right? I notice you cowered away from the other facts I proved you wrong on.
In other words, you got nothing. Which we already knew half wit.
<quoted text>
Facts?

Are you claiming its a fact that I've posted Fox News more than once?

Put up or shut up, bitch.

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2013

....... Need I even say anything here after his previous confessions?........
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Do outbursts like that lead to ejaculation, or is that it?
You are a weird puppy.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2013

The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
This is silliness. I don't have to "assume" souls don't exist. You have no evidence that they do.
I gave you a perfectly reasonable argument.
- Various things that constitute 'you' are located in the brain.- When you die, the brain is destroyed.
- Therefore,'you' are destroyed.
Can you provide evidence for a mechanism by which 'you' are saved after death or not?
No, I cannot provide that evidence. I am not a scientist by any means.

But science hasn't ruled out the possibility of one day being able to detect our souls.

YOU cannot demonstrate that souls are non-existent, can you?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2013

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, that process is well known.
Can you evidence the process by which a person's memory and personality are copied upon death?
That process was not well known 100 years ago.

People like would would likely discount it as "myth" or "legend".....

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2013

Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
We may yet invent the possibility, but for now .
They do not exist.
We can't invent the possibility of having a soul.

Either we do or we don't.

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2013

I just said he suffered a hallucination after he cut off his own fingers. He has obviously suffered irreversible brain damage from this.
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
You really enjoy the thought of someone going through pain.
It case you don’t know. Sadism is outside the boundaries of what is considered normal.
From Wiki:
Sadism is the derivation of pleasure as a result of inflicting pain, cruelty, degradation, or humiliation, or, watching such behaviors inflicted on others. Aspects of it include:

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2013

Givemeliberty wrote:
I just said he suffered a hallucination after he cut off his own fingers. He has obviously suffered irreversible brain damage from this.
<quoted text>
I think you like to see suffering and pain. You are the only one that keeps bringing up about this injury because the thought of someone else being in pain is like a feather tickling you in the ass.

Your sadist behavior is not normal. I’m trying to insult you just telling you that you are way outside the lines of normal.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I cannot provide that evidence. I am not a scientist by any means.
If there is no evidence of it, then my position that we are gone upon death is the most reasonable stance, right?
RiversideRedneck wrote:
YOU cannot demonstrate that souls are non-existent, can you?
No. I cannot demonstrate that I do not get a Karma Point for every time I said the word "Awesome" either. I also cannot demonstrate that we're not in The Matrix.

Ideas that are unfalsifiable generally aren't very useful.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••