Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 247771 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“There is no god!”

Since: Jun 12

Södertälje, Sweden

#155736 Feb 22, 2013
Siro wrote:
<quoted text>
Go and cheer on a gang rape in Malmo
You are a racist that means you are stupid

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#155737 Feb 22, 2013
The_Box wrote:
That wasn't what I said. What I said was that it requires one to reject superior natural explanations.
If we heard a noise in your attic and I told you that it sounds just like the noise raccoons make in attics, and you countered by saying the noise could be caused by the burps of Magic Attic Gnomes, no reasonable person would accept your explanation over mine because you are making unnecessary appeals to things we don't even know exist.
That being said, the cultural dependence of many aspects of NDEs is evidence against it being an objective afterlife experience. People's reports of their experiences strongly match up with their pre-existing expectations. For example, Christians sometimes see Jesus, while Hindus sometimes see Hindu deities. That shouldn't occur.
Why shouldn't it occur?

Would you be happier if they saw nothing after they die, as atheists suggest?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#155738 Feb 22, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
love from the creationist scum who can't convince anyone that the earth is 6000 years old.
yes I'm telling you to your face that your cult beliefs are ridiculous.
There goes that beautiful morality of yours, Septic.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#155739 Feb 22, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
And you like all the rest of fundies expect....us to take your word on it.
Orrie, there is something very important about this whole matter you are missing.

You act like deists are trying to force you to believe as they do regarding an afterlife.

They aren't. They are giving their own testimony the same as you are with your rejection. You can accept it and figure it in with your own calculations just as much as they can accept yours and figure it into their own.

You overreact. And a lot of other Topixc atheists do. Which leads to the pissing contests and name calling on here because they react to your reaction.

As far as Christianity goes, the belief is you are to give testimony and let you and God remake yourself, not me.

Credit card companies and economic interests want to "own" you, not Christianity. Can't say that for other religions, or some organized Christian sects. You always have that economic interest in maintaining a flock. But Christianity allows for you to create your very own personal relationship with the Creator. Custom built.

You will find atheist and secular interests just as bad about keeping you penned in to milk and shear as any organized hierarchal religion.

You are not in the loop of my personal life other than as words on a monitor. If you are not in the way where I would trip over your dead body, then you are just some remote thing, like a deity and its interest in keeping you around for a long time you decide not to believe in.

Such applies to all of us. Your physical interests lie in the physical beings you deal with physically. That is reality. Every thing else is a head trip.

Do what you want with what you hear. You can rot in hell or on the ground for all I can really care. It is your ass, not mine. And it doesn't matter if you think I am wrong in my beliefs or not.

Does that sound very "Christian", as you perceive it should be?

Plus your taste in music sucks.

God loves you if nobody else does. Maybe.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#155740 Feb 22, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Why shouldn't it occur?
Because it is a contradiction. The Christian and Hindu afterlifes cannot both be true. So, either the Christian, the Hindu, or both have had an experience that was not real.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Would you be happier if they saw nothing after they die, as atheists suggest?
None of these people have truly died. If they did, they would not be able to convey their experiences.

I think it would be great if all these people reported their NDE as a comforting experience (though they don't). Even if not real, that's not a bad way to go out.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#155741 Feb 22, 2013
The_Box wrote:
Because it is a contradiction. The Christian and Hindu afterlifes cannot both be true. So, either the Christian, the Hindu, or both have had an experience that was not real.
Perhaps they saw the same thing but interpreted it differently.
None of these people have truly died. If they did, they would not be able to convey their experiences.
They disagree with you: http://www.near-death.com/
I think it would be great if all these people reported their NDE as a comforting experience (though they don't). Even if not real, that's not a bad way to go out.
What do you think happens after death?

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#155742 Feb 22, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
There goes that beautiful morality of yours, Septic.
You don't have any morals - that's why you're trying to sell a god you have no proof of.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#155743 Feb 22, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
We know what happens after death - NOTHING.

Anyone who thinks otherwise has a mental illness and is in denial. IE most of the world.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#155744 Feb 22, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Seeing a religious deity is a SPECIFIC detail. No one would interpret Jesus as Ganesh, or vice-versa.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
That's nice. My statement remains true though. Anyone truly dead cannot relay an experience. All NDEs are told by living people.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Your body decomposes and you are gone.

Westcliffe, CO

#155745 Feb 22, 2013
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Beats shrieking in terror as you dissemble, doesn't it? When you realize a Band Aid ain't gonna do the trick?

Even a belief you will go to sleep forever can get you over that hump. However, as I posted earlier, it is when you wake up when the real issues start.

Westcliffe, CO

#155746 Feb 22, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Anyone who thinks otherwise has a mental illness and is in denial. IE most of the world.
Yeah, they are all crazy except for you.

"We", you and that gerbil up your ass are the only sane creatures alive.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#155747 Feb 22, 2013
Mikko wrote:
<quoted text>
You are a racist that means you are stupid
Just a bit of advice. Your avatar looks like a Catholic Priest staring into the boys dressing room. If I were you, I’d change it. Unless of course you like looking like a pervert.

I’m not trying to be mean but helpful.

Westcliffe, CO

#155749 Feb 22, 2013
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
Seeing a religious deity is a SPECIFIC detail. No one would interpret Jesus as Ganesh, or vice-versa.
<quoted text>
That's nice. My statement remains true though. Anyone truly dead cannot relay an experience. All NDEs are told by living people.
<quoted text>
Your body decomposes and you are gone.
"All NDEs are told by living people."

Who can give a different perspective on living than you can.

Southern Illinois

#155750 Feb 22, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Prove it, no proof then shut the f**k up.

Southern Illinois

#155751 Feb 22, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't have any morals - that's why you're trying to sell a god you have no proof of.
Go find a good dentist, he probably can yank those bad hemorrhoids from your throat. He might have to use a cheery picker but what the heck.

Westcliffe, CO

#155752 Feb 22, 2013
Something tells me some of these Topix atheists have had some very strange personal experiences beyond what is considered "natural", and making great attempts to deny it was real. Whistling by the graveyard sort of thing, but not a fear of death, per se, but of something they experienced.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#155753 Feb 22, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Decomposition.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#155754 Feb 22, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Have I tried to sell you anything?

There's another quality moral of atheists - lying.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#155755 Feb 22, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
I know you're evidence of that - NOTHING.

Southern Illinois

#155756 Feb 22, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
You had a hallucination after you cut your fingers off. No surprise there Geriatric Dave.
<quoted text>
You really enjoy the thought of someone going through pain.

It case you don’t know. Sadism is outside the boundaries of what is considered normal.

From Wiki:

Sadism is the derivation of pleasure as a result of inflicting pain, cruelty, degradation, or humiliation, or, watching such behaviors inflicted on others. Aspects of it include:

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism, the Bible and sexual orientation 1 min Eagle 12 32
News As an atheist, how do I maintain my relationshi... 5 min ORIGINAL WILLARD 70
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 14 min woodtick57 12,918
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 38 min Eagle 12 2,360
News In America, atheists are still in the closet (Apr '12) 2 hr -Stray Dog 47,905
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) Wed macumazahn 20,900
Proof of God for the Atheist Wed Amused 130
More from around the web