Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 239525 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Siro

Seven Hills, Australia

#155636 Feb 21, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> Your real name is humpty dumpty isn't it?
And yours is Aunty Mytha

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#155637 Feb 21, 2013
Again why should anyone care about what the book of Hebrews or any book in the bible says?

I see you are unable to put together an answer.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You really are one dense sumbitch.
You can't understand "substance, not source"?
I've got Bud in my belly & AC/DC in my ears, you're boring me. Do a dance or something.

Lexington, KY

#155638 Feb 21, 2013
Several times you have posted from Fox News and right wing sources, and you know it.
Jesus is an invisible sky wizard, you believe he performs magic tricks aka miracles and you believe he is up in the heavens although you can't see him. Invisible sky wizard.
I actually enjoy humiliating you and your low Iq ilk. It's so easy. I am having a blast repeatedly factually destroying you. Thanks.
My wife is a life long Catholic and yes she says he is a Christian, as does any other catholic I have ever met. Catholics don't go around saying they are not Christians.

You are just stuck in your Fox News trailer park bubble.

RR: Catholics are not Christians!
GML: What is the largest Christian church?
RR: The Catholic Church of course...
Everyone: lmfao!
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I said I've posted from Fox News, maybe once.
<quoted text>
Jesus isn't an invisible sky wizard, how many times must I tell you that is an atheist belief?
<quoted text>
LMAO! Are we in 300 now?
What's wrong with you, dude? Why are you so pissed all the time?
<quoted text>
Why don't you ask a Catholic if they call themselves a Christian, then get back to me.

“ Knight Of Hyrule”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#155639 Feb 21, 2013
Siro wrote:
<quoted text>
And yours is Aunty Mytha
Nope, my name is.....

“the end-times is now”

Since: Feb 13

Location hidden

#155641 Feb 21, 2013
ask an atheist . . . . my bad

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

#155642 Feb 22, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would Atheist want to bring children into this religious world?
Then when you consider that the secular hospitals are overcrowded and long waits. An Atheist would end up going to one of the fine up to date Christian Hospitals. And Christians would be delivering and handling the baby.
How awful for Atheist. Having a baby delivered in a Christian Hospital and the baby coming in contact with Christian Staff. They might even do something like pray for the baby.
You are dribbling again.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#155644 Feb 22, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You are a very reactive creature.
Who said blind faith?
Religious faith must be blind, unless you have actual evidence that you are not presenting.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#155645 Feb 22, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
It's the substance, dude. Not the source.
"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."
Don't agree?
You've probably seen me write "Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence". A smart phrase, from your precious Carl Sagan.
Lower your ego shield a few degrees.
Sources are just as important, and actually more so, than what they say. A demonstrated inaccurate or completely false source has no authority and should be considered nothing more than fanciful tales by the sane person. When someone proves they are a liar, do you trust them?

Oh, and the Carl Sagan quote, applies to things that are logical, your god is not logical, therefore it does not apply. There are some pagan gods that are a bit more logical, and it could apply to them, but not the anthropomorphic Abrahamic gods, those are completely illogical.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#155646 Feb 22, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>The ability to learn from the mistakes of others.
That's what we learn from you.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#155647 Feb 22, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>That sounds very hypercritical and arrogant Dave.
Wouldn't it be better to recognize and learn from your own mistakes?
But yes to learn (anything) is a plus.

That isn't evolutionary though, that's just wisdom.
What I learn many times from others is...
No matter how bad it is for me , at times of bad times.
Someone else has it worse.
In aviation, we have a saying.

Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself.
Thinking

Hounslow, UK

#155648 Feb 22, 2013
Only Bud? I'll pray to the god of decent beer for you.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You really are one dense sumbitch.
You can't understand "substance, not source"?
I've got Bud in my belly & AC/DC in my ears, you're boring me. Do a dance or something.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#155649 Feb 22, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>Would you get pissed if a nurse prayed for your newborn baby?
Nope.

But if she did it out loud, I'd tell her to do it silently.

And if she prayed instead of rendering medical assistance, I'd have her fired.

Lexington, KY

#155650 Feb 22, 2013
As anyone should do. Even believers I have noticed get uneasy when someone in public comes up talking to them about Jesus and prayer. They're like uh-huh... gotta go!

:)
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope.
But if she did it out loud, I'd tell her to do it silently.
And if she prayed instead of rendering medical assistance, I'd have her fired.

“There is no god!”

Since: Jun 12

Södertälje, Sweden

#155651 Feb 22, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Would you get pissed if a nurse prayed for your newborn baby?
pray = do nothing

Lexington, KY

#155652 Feb 22, 2013
If I had a dime for every time a christhole on here purposely used a quote out of context.
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Sources are just as important, and actually more so, than what they say. A demonstrated inaccurate or completely false source has no authority and should be considered nothing more than fanciful tales by the sane person. When someone proves they are a liar, do you trust them?
Oh, and the Carl Sagan quote, applies to things that are logical, your god is not logical, therefore it does not apply. There are some pagan gods that are a bit more logical, and it could apply to them, but not the anthropomorphic Abrahamic gods, those are completely illogical.
Imhotep

Williston, FL

#155653 Feb 22, 2013
MagskBob wrote:
Atheism requires reason which is contrary to faith. The subject statement/question is absurd and has no answer.
Faith?
For slot machines only - and the deluded theists that find solace in whining about those that are indifferent to their dogma addiction.

Faith is the surrender of the mind; it's the surrender of reason, it's the surrender of the only thing that makes us different from other mammals.

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." ~Benjamin Franklin

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#155654 Feb 22, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
Goodnight, everyone.
Remember that last breath you took can always be your last one. A damned meteor can hit you in the head.
Then you ain't got no time to stop and think anymore. You done arrived at the end of the line.
You're finally starting to understand...

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#155655 Feb 22, 2013
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>
You had a NDE. You quite obviously didn't cross over and return. Why do you continue to use it as an absolute reference?
Because of the ad lib character of it, and a detached analysis of how things transpired.

A very sudden surprise. A realization I just had a serious encounter with physical forces, then a compulsion to get up and see what happened, which then turned into a trip through a black tunnel and emergence with the same consciousness I always had. I was surveying the scene and agonizing over the work I had to do to bring order to it. It was just an everyday sort of thinking we do. Then I became alerted to a green smoky trail leading from where I started and into me. My reaction was as if I was being attacked by a snake, which I then wrestled with rather violently. It was all a surprise. From there came the realization I had just died, which is a rather emotional moment in one's life. Then a resigning to fate and an awakening in another realm with consciousness changes along the way. Such as how we think here. Memory banks were all gone, language was all gone, these physical frames of reference we learn were all gone. Pretty much basic existence and emotion. I saw, I did, but can't say I thought much about it. I was aware, but not in a real intellectual mode.

Even though I just went through the realization I died, and the emotional agony, which was really based upon the sudden event, and it being the result of just a traffic accident, not one single thought, instinct, or any sort of anticipation of my ceasing to exist, or going to sleep forever occurred to me. The concept was just not there. Every bit of it was just losing a spot in this particular existence. I did prepare for a jump to another existence, which surprisingly I seemed to be jumping into fully formed and functional, but not anticipating with much eagerness. It was a primitive and hostile environment I was headed into. Even though my consciousness was totally disconnected from my body, there was still a link that enabled me to return after being alerted I was still a viable physical entity, though damaged.

A severely wounded animal whose consciousness was going through the throes of death. With a new existence waiting inches away. Not one single glimmer of a possibility my "self" was about to expire en toto. I was atheist.

I had a future. I was enabled to come back to this one. And as I mentioned, there was an awakening after resigning myself to my demise here.

The experience did not lend itself very well to the Topix atheist belief and faith they just close their eyes and drift off into eternal unconsciousness.

There were many more aspects to the experience that point to some misconceptions about "reality", but the fact is I wasn't being terminated eternally.

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt. And I didn't get my underwear back in the hospital.

Chicago, IL

#155656 Feb 22, 2013
You had a hallucination after you cut your fingers off. No surprise there Geriatric Dave.
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Because of the ad lib character of it, and a detached analysis of how things transpired.
A very sudden surprise. A realization I just had a serious encounter with physical forces, then a compulsion to get up and see what happened, which then turned into a trip through a black tunnel and emergence with the same consciousness I always had. I was surveying the scene and agonizing over the work I had to do to bring order to it. It was just an everyday sort of thinking we do. Then I became alerted to a green smoky trail leading from where I started and into me. My reaction was as if I was being attacked by a snake, which I then wrestled with rather violently. It was all a surprise. From there came the realization I had just died, which is a rather emotional moment in one's life. Then a resigning to fate and an awakening in another realm with consciousness changes along the way. Such as how we think here. Memory banks were all gone, language was all gone, these physical frames of reference we learn were all gone. Pretty much basic existence and emotion. I saw, I did, but can't say I thought much about it. I was aware, but not in a real intellectual mode.
Even though I just went through the realization I died, and the emotional agony, which was really based upon the sudden event, and it being the result of just a traffic accident, not one single thought, instinct, or any sort of anticipation of my ceasing to exist, or going to sleep forever occurred to me. The concept was just not there. Every bit of it was just losing a spot in this particular existence. I did prepare for a jump to another existence, which surprisingly I seemed to be jumping into fully formed and functional, but not anticipating with much eagerness. It was a primitive and hostile environment I was headed into. Even though my consciousness was totally disconnected from my body, there was still a link that enabled me to return after being alerted I was still a viable physical entity, though damaged.
A severely wounded animal whose consciousness was going through the throes of death. With a new existence waiting inches away. Not one single glimmer of a possibility my "self" was about to expire en toto. I was atheist.
I had a future. I was enabled to come back to this one. And as I mentioned, there was an awakening after resigning myself to my demise here.
The experience did not lend itself very well to the Topix atheist belief and faith they just close their eyes and drift off into eternal unconsciousness.
There were many more aspects to the experience that point to some misconceptions about "reality", but the fact is I wasn't being terminated eternally.
Been there, done that, got the T-shirt. And I didn't get my underwear back in the hospital.
Siro

Seven Hills, Australia

#155657 Feb 22, 2013
Mikko wrote:
<quoted text>
pray = do nothing
Kurd = bend over

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 4 min Eagle 12 7,504
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 1 hr Aura Mytha 19,101
News Atheists' problem with the Bible (Sep '09) 1 hr Pete-o 7,504
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 3 hr Pahu 2,219
News Phil Robertson talks against Atheists 12 hr Rosa_Winkel 134
News New Atheism's fatal arrogance: The glaring inte... 18 hr Knowledge- 6
News Richard Dawkins insists he's not an angry athei... Fri Thinking 2
More from around the web