Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#155523 Feb 21, 2013
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
No, you're not getting it.
Look at this gradient: http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2011/022/a/...
What's the first blue pixel?
I would say the first pixel would be the one the designer put their first.

Can you tell which one it is? Probably not.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#155524 Feb 21, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
It's not our fault that god isn't real. God back to your cult leaders and complain to them about why they never bothered to teach you evolution or morals / honesty / intellectual enquiry.
You've chosen stupidity as your disease, now leave atheists alone.
HA HA HA !!!

You act as if we're in the third grade and I'm bullying you around.

"Leave me alone!"

WAAAAA-WAAAA!

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#155525 Feb 21, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I never said that populations don't evolve. But at some point a population of something gradually became a population of Tyrannosaurus Rex, meaning that there had to be a first T-Rex, just like there had to be a last T-Rex.
No, that is part of the point. It is *our* definition and classification scheme. In nature, the lines are blurry.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#155526 Feb 21, 2013
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>No, you're not getting it.

Look at this gradient: http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2011/022/a/...

What's the first blue pixel?
Or the first blue letter.

Or word.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/...

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#155527 Feb 21, 2013
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh wow man, it's so cosmic. Are you stuck in the sixties or something? I'd like to poke you in your Third Eye.
I think Dave dropped a bit too much acid at some point.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#155528 Feb 21, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
It's not our fault that god isn't real. God back to your cult leaders and complain to them about why they never bothered to teach you evolution or morals / honesty / intellectual enquiry.
You've chosen stupidity as your disease, now leave atheists alone.
Still having problems with those hemorrhoids?

The Doctor won’t remove them?

Well try hiring a 5 ton tow truck to pull those bastards out of your as*.

Then you’ll feel so much better. Why live with pain and misery?

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#155529 Feb 21, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't really worry, myself.
However, it is a fact a CME ejected at the wrong time and of sufficient size can change the environment here in a very profound way. Amazing luck we have had over the years, eh? Ain't luck and randomness grand?
So ... you haven't read any of the actual science behind it.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#155530 Feb 21, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
I think Dave dropped a bit too much acid at some point.
A bit? I'm starting to think he's actually completely insane now.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#155531 Feb 21, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I would say the first pixel would be the one the designer put their first.
Can you tell which one it is? Probably not.
I didn't say the first pixel, I said the first BLUE pixel in the transition from red to blue.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#155532 Feb 21, 2013
http://solarscience.msfc.nasa.gov/the_key.sht...

"Magnetism is the key to understanding the Sun."

That's a big sucker brewing. The quickness makes the mass more energetic, and less likely to be held in place. That is likely to be a big wad shot.

The sun is 109 earth diameters. Of course, due to that 6 times our diameter being on the surface of a sphere, it occupies much less than 1/18th of the surface, but given the depth it can go, you are talking many, many times our volume that can get upchucked of hot nasty stuff. Say it is 6 diameters deep, a shot string 6 times the diameter of the earth of plasma could hit the earth. However, it is likely to be a minor inconvenience at worst. Surely chance will spare us the pellet that would smack this clay pigeon real hard.

But it never hurts to have your soul settled.:-)

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#155533 Feb 21, 2013
Getting to sensitive to drink coffee? Oh no it's to hot!

Lmfao!
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Just to warm it up a tad. I hate really hot coffee.
However, I do take care to hold it a moment, and say a few magic numbers of Polymath's to shoo away his virtual particles. They can upset my tummy.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#155534 Feb 21, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Creationist tw*t with no morals.
Tell that tow truck driver once he’s all hooked up to those hemorrhoids to not stop pulling until he reaches the end of the street.
Anon

Lakewood, OH

#155535 Feb 21, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =2r85F1quxekXX
Wow. Hard to find a copy of The Alchemist. The copyright guys are active on that one.
The first song is The Alchemist by Enigma. That is the name of his mobile music studio. Light up a doobie and put that part on fullscreen. Take a photo tour of the rest of you. Understand the forces you see are at work within you, to. It's a matter of scale and interconnectedness
:-)
Dave, I get to the same place you're talking about when I listen to Coltrane, Parker, Mingus, Monk, Sun Ra, etc. I don't need video enhancement, as a good two channel stereo system (turntable, tube amp., tube preamp) creates an almost holographic soundstage that, unfortunately, most people have never experienced. The doob is optional...

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#155536 Feb 21, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Getting to sensitive to drink coffee? Oh no it's to hot!
Lmfao!
<quoted text>
I went to Starbuck's and the barista said "careful, I accidentally made it really hot" ... my reply was "it is a HOT latte, I expect no less" with a smile. She got a kick out of it. If it's less than 100 degrees, I would complain about it, no way I'm drinking cold java.

Location hidden

#155537 Feb 21, 2013
http://www.space.com/11506-space-weather-suns...

Nice description of the mechanics. Is a little weak on the actual effects from a really good zap. Things like pole shifts, axial tilt, a major league rearrangement of the way things were. You could even miss work the next day. You might not want to go to the beach, though.

All in how things interact. This is a lesson how abiogenesis could have began. Right connections at the right time.

:-)

Location hidden

#155538 Feb 21, 2013
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>
Dave, I get to the same place you're talking about when I listen to Coltrane, Parker, Mingus, Monk, Sun Ra, etc. I don't need video enhancement, as a good two channel stereo system (turntable, tube amp., tube preamp) creates an almost holographic soundstage that, unfortunately, most people have never experienced. The doob is optional...
It's easier to post youtube. I prefer pure sound, too. Only have one good ear to hear it, but I appreciate it.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#155539 Feb 21, 2013
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>Dave, I get to the same place you're talking about when I listen to Coltrane, Parker, Mingus, Monk, Sun Ra, etc. I don't need video enhancement, as a good two channel stereo system (turntable, tube amp., tube preamp) creates an almost holographic soundstage that, unfortunately, most people have never experienced. The doob is optional...
The doob is mandatory.

Lexington, KY

#155540 Feb 21, 2013
No eagle was puking out apologetic talking points and you as predicted loved them so much you jumped in.

Hmmmm are Dave and Eagle socks?
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
The stupid is taking that breathing into a lump of clay as literal, and then trying to pass it off as intellectual thought. Like you just did.
Your limited mentality again limits your perspective to some being in a material form breathing into a lump of wet dirt. You can't get past the possibility this deity being somewhat larger than you can see.
Put your lump of clay in a closed container. Your lump has cavities in it, right? In your case, a really large on above your shoulders.
Pressurize the container. What happens? Some of that pressure finds its way into those cavities. Chemical processes can then be activated.
You need to exhale from that cranial cavity you have and get let some fresh air back in.
Anon

Lakewood, OH

#155541 Feb 21, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
The doob is mandatory.
I stand corrected, sir...

Lexington, KY

#155542 Feb 21, 2013
No free thinking is when you look at available evidence and come to your own conclusion regardless to what the majority thinks.

Free thinkers can be wrong or right when they do this.

Clearly you are a Fox News reject and not a free thinker.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Freethought holds that individuals should not accept ideas proposed as truth without recourse to knowledge and reason.
Freethinkers thought the steady state model was accurate.
Freethinkers thought insects were borne of rotting food.
Freethinkers thought the eath was flat.
Freethinkers thought the Milky Way was the universe.
Freethinkers thought the universe is infinite, then finite, then infinite.
Ad nauseum

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 7 min serfs up 2,319
A New Kinder, Gentler Atheism 37 min _Bad Company 147
Yes, atheists can be fundamentalists 3 hr Thinking 3
Is 'naturalism' a bleak philosophical outlook? ... 12 hr Mikko 2
Christians More Supportive of Torture Than Non-... 14 hr Thinking 3
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) Sat polymath257 23,199
Can Atheists Know God Does Not Exist When They ... Sat Yiago 148
More from around the web