Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Read more

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#155559 Feb 21, 2013
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes and yet you owe your life to science! The one time that I wish science failed.
It is amusing how you claim science as a part of atheism.
MagskBob

Brattleboro, VT

#155560 Feb 21, 2013
Atheism requires reason which is contrary to faith. The subject statement/question is absurd and has no answer.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#155561 Feb 21, 2013
Why do Atheist want YOU?

A. Because misery loves company.

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#155562 Feb 21, 2013
Which let's be honest is a throw back to Neanderthal days. Dad why did Mom die after giving birth to Grok? Well son the great sky spirit needed her to give birth to his 20 children now. Wow Dad... Look out those Neanderthals are eyeing our projectile weapons again!!
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Non freethinkers know goddidit.

Lexington, KY

#155563 Feb 21, 2013
Bandwagon logical fallacy is used by them repeatedly. It seems they can't do much better than what their own mom disproved when they were 10! If everyone else was jumping off a cliff would you as well? Lemmings the lot of them.
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
It is possible, the religious nuts do seem to think that popularity makes something more real than facts.

Westcliffe, CO

#155564 Feb 21, 2013
MagskBob wrote:
Atheism requires reason which is contrary to faith. The subject statement/question is absurd and has no answer.
Atheists don't know how to define faith, as it requires the ability to have it to define it. You see constant attempts by them to define it to their own view on here. Their arguments based upon their definitions are hollow.

They see to see it as only a blind obedience to a way of thought dictated by a hierarchy. That is why they like to cite Hitchens and other leaders of the atheist movement, and claim science supports their views. All without the ability to question their own blind faith, as instilled by their leaders.

The only freethinking exhibited by these Topix atheists is the little badge issued to them by the movement saying I'm a freethinker. It came with the list of talking points and hymn book of favorite anti-gospel rants.

Southern Illinois

#155565 Feb 21, 2013
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes and yet you owe your life to science! The one time that I wish science failed.
Atheist donít need to reproduce.

So get your wires clipped. Snip, snip.

Lexington, KY

#155566 Feb 21, 2013
Well you sure do quite them enough and have posted links to them and conservative wiki. You mental midgets are free to brag like the jackasses you are. We free thinkers will glance at each other, sigh, shake our heads in pity.

You dedicate your life to an invisible sky wizard because you think he will sen you to Hell if you don't. You must throw reason to the side and rely on superstition and that is sad because reason I what makes us different from the animals. And you throw away your birthright for a bowl of superstitious diarrhea.

I pity your lot, I really do.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
ANd again you're wrong.
I don't watch Fox News.
Free thinkers are a free joke for all to laugh at.

Lexington, KY

#155567 Feb 21, 2013
Plus Christians today pick and chose what passages to pay attention to and which to ignore. Perfect word of God eh?

Lmfao!
CunningLinguist wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you - and Gideons!
Yes, the bible is truly ignorant and it is beyond easy to discredit 50% of it - all that is required is a yellow marker and the stamina to wade through it. Marking each verse that is questionable with the marker, one finds 50% of the book YELLOW at the conclusion. For extra credit take your copy to the clergy and seek a explanation... this is where the fun really begins! LOL
We must make excuses for the writers whom were not the sharpest knifes in drawer!
Each Christian sect picks the parts of the Bible it likes the sound of and then weaves their own teachings around these selected verses.
You can invent all sorts of denominations using the Bible as a reference and there are hundreds of Christian denominations, each claiming to have the best interpretation of the Bible centering around a figure called Jesus.
Philosophies or beliefs which don't meet this minimum requirement are considered and declared "false" beliefs.
The NT does not encourage differing views on what the universe is or how it was set up.
The patriarchal system of the Bible which starts with a male warrior God becomes a male oriented belief system based on the warrior God's son Jesus, who only appears in the NT.
In order for this belief system called Christianity, which declares that it is the only true way to God, to maintain it's position of power, it must discredit other beliefs which don't agree with the NT perspective.

Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

#155568 Feb 21, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheist donít need to reproduce.
So get your wires clipped. Snip, snip.
What's wrong with you?

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#155569 Feb 21, 2013
CunningLinguist wrote:
We must make excuses for the writers whom were not the sharpest knifes in drawer!
LMAO!

Wait for it.....

Southern Illinois

#155570 Feb 21, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
What's wrong with you?
Why would Atheist want to bring children into this religious world?

Then when you consider that the secular hospitals are overcrowded and long waits. An Atheist would end up going to one of the fine up to date Christian Hospitals. And Christians would be delivering and handling the baby.

How awful for Atheist. Having a baby delivered in a Christian Hospital and the baby coming in contact with Christian Staff. They might even do something like pray for the baby.
Anon

Lakewood, OH

#155571 Feb 21, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheists don't know how to define faith, as it requires the ability to have it to define it. You see constant attempts by them to define it to their own view on here. Their arguments based upon their definitions are hollow.
They see to see it as only a blind obedience to a way of thought dictated by a hierarchy. That is why they like to cite Hitchens and other leaders of the atheist movement, and claim science supports their views. All without the ability to question their own blind faith, as instilled by their leaders.
The only freethinking exhibited by these Topix atheists is the little badge issued to them by the movement saying I'm a freethinker. It came with the list of talking points and hymn book of favorite anti-gospel rants.
Why do you perceive faith to be a virtue, something desirable? In a world filled with uncertainty, it's complicated enough to make clear decisions based on facts - why would I allow faith, which is nothing more than my desire to "will" a particular outcome, enter the equation? I've seen many poor business models based on faith alone ("I just KNOW this will work.") go down in flames. Many bad relationships ("I just KNOW it will work out this time.") that could have been avoided with a healthy dose of skepticism and common sense, turn ugly and eventually disintegrate. Life has enough pitfalls as it is, why should I create my own hurdles to add to the confusion?

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#155572 Feb 21, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Well you sure do quite them enough and have posted links to them and conservative wiki. You mental midgets are free to brag like the jackasses you are. We free thinkers will glance at each other, sigh, shake our heads in pity.
You dedicate your life to an invisible sky wizard because you think he will sen you to Hell if you don't. You must throw reason to the side and rely on superstition and that is sad because reason I what makes us different from the animals. And you throw away your birthright for a bowl of superstitious diarrhea.
I pity your lot, I really do.
<quoted text>
I think I've quoted Fox news one time since I've been on topix, just Once. And for you that would seem to be "enough" times?

I don't know what you're talking about, I don't believe in any sky wizard.
Anon

Lakewood, OH

#155573 Feb 21, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Then when you consider that the secular hospitals are overcrowded and long waits. An Atheist would end up going to one of the fine up to date Christian Hospitals. And Christians would be delivering and handling the baby.
How awful for Atheist. Having a baby delivered in a Christian Hospital and the baby coming in contact with Christian Staff. They might even do something like pray for the baby.
What's wrong with you?

Westcliffe, CO

#155574 Feb 21, 2013
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you perceive faith to be a virtue, something desirable? In a world filled with uncertainty, it's complicated enough to make clear decisions based on facts - why would I allow faith, which is nothing more than my desire to "will" a particular outcome, enter the equation? I've seen many poor business models based on faith alone ("I just KNOW this will work.") go down in flames. Many bad relationships ("I just KNOW it will work out this time.") that could have been avoided with a healthy dose of skepticism and common sense, turn ugly and eventually disintegrate. Life has enough pitfalls as it is, why should I create my own hurdles to add to the confusion?
Sorry, faith is an anchor or fulcrum to work from. If you don't have it you just get blown by the wind. True, it can be misguided and fail, but then again it also works for some. The ambitions have faith, that why they get somewhere. Gamblers do to. A few of them get there.

Faith covers a lot of territory. You need a certain amoun tin yourslef to even survive. Faith in something looking out for you helps that faith in yourself.

Sure beats being a neurotic liberal nervous wreck.:-)

“Move into the light.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#155575 Feb 21, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
You say some silly stuff sometimes.
Thinking

Hounslow, UK

#155576 Feb 21, 2013
The 80% figure is just my council. Others landfill more, but all are improving as landfill costs will increase to a peak in 2014.

Once filled, sometimes 200+ feet deep, we can reclaim the landfill as parkland. There is an impermeable layer of clay or plastic separating the parkland from the waste. Meanwhile, the methane created by the waste is extracted, meeting ~3% of the UK's energy needs.

Germany landfills just 7% of their waste, but they incinerate 35% of their waste in order to achieve this 7% figure.
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
80% recycling is pretty good. Itís surprising you have any land available for land fill in the UK. Iím glad to hear that you guys donít do ocean dumping.
blacklagoon

Revere, MA

#155577 Feb 21, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
It is all in perspective.
The fairies could still be there protecting you even if you don't believe in them.
One way to test is to de-fairyfy the place. Then if something bad happens to you, you will have some real evidence to support your claim they don't exist.
Want me to tell you how to de-fairyfy it? It will take some serious commitment on your part. I will try to find some less bloodless way to do it, though. Never had to de-fairyfy before. This may take some thinking.
I will advise you that when you make changes on a level such as that there is no telling from your perspective on what will happen. Nature abhors a vacuum on all levels. She very much strives to balance things out. You just don't know what will fill that void. It is usually best to just deal with what you know.
OHHHH...KAAAAYYYY....."Th e fairies could still be there protecting me?" REALLY. I think this post gives me all the information I need about you. And no thanks I don't want you to tell me how to "DE-FAIRIFY" You're really becoming frightening!!!!!! Errr...ahhh...Gotta Go....see ya.........(rapid footsteps fading in the distance)

“Move into the light.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#155578 Feb 21, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I think I've quoted Fox news one time since I've been on topix, just Once. And for you that would seem to be "enough" times?
I don't know what you're talking about, I don't believe in any sky wizard.

What ? You believe in water wizards don't you?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 1 hr par five 6,353
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 1 hr Denisova 17,924
News Confessions of a black atheist 1 hr Redefined 4
News The Consequences of Atheism 3 hr thetruth 1,108
News Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) 3 hr thetruth 14,494
News Who is an atheist? (May '10) 3 hr thetruth 9,226
News Is Religion Childish? (Sep '14) 6 hr thetruth 161
More from around the web