Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#155483 Feb 21, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
BTW, the earth is a pressurized container.
Your complete and total lack of scientific study is astounding.
Anon

Lakewood, OH

#155484 Feb 21, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
If you had any soul or poetry in you it would be obvious.
Has to do with being trapped, desperation, and holding on for something better, to have it reshaped, like dust in gravity.
I quite realize all that. It's still a mediocre effort at best.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#155485 Feb 21, 2013
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>
I quite realize all that. It's still a mediocre effort at best.
Better than none at all.

Here, put some mustard on it. It will taste better.

Location hidden

#155486 Feb 21, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Grab a barometer. Read it. Put it in your pocket.

On your next trip out to Neptune, pull it out and read it again along the way.

Location hidden

#155487 Feb 21, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh.

Here, put a little of this cinnamon on it. It goes good with that latte.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#155488 Feb 21, 2013
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
No, it's known, beyond a reasonable doubt. The evidence quite clearly contradicts it.
<quoted text>
If you think that's the case, you don't understand the ToE correctly. Populations evolve, not individuals.
The ole infamous atheist comeback, "you just don't understand"

'_'

Location hidden

#155489 Feb 21, 2013
There is an interesting corollary between quantum physics and existence. Has to do with the effect of the observer on the observed.

Keep in mind what you observe is what you exist in.

Being "objective" is being critical. As you know, there is a difference between being critical as in discerning, and being critical as in being a pain in the ass to everyone else.

You can be a critical thinker that can change your world into something devoid of fun. The magic is no longer in the world you lived in, but in the delusion you get justifying yourself. Then you get to be a critical pain in the ass telling others they are wrong for what they believe in. You get caught in a loop. You can become a Topix atheist or a music critic.

Or something like that.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#155490 Feb 21, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
'_'
I specifically told you WHY you were wrong: populations evolve, not individuals.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#155491 Feb 21, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
'_'
Then learn it so you will understand it.

Location hidden

#155492 Feb 21, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Then learn it so you will understand it.
You confuse studying and info gathering with knowledge. Knowledge is understanding what you gathered. You have to apply some brain power to that which just can't be handed to you.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#155493 Feb 21, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
There is an interesting corollary between quantum physics and existence. Has to do with the effect of the observer on the observed.
Keep in mind what you observe is what you exist in.
Being "objective" is being critical. As you know, there is a difference between being critical as in discerning, and being critical as in being a pain in the ass to everyone else.
You can be a critical thinker that can change your world into something devoid of fun. The magic is no longer in the world you lived in, but in the delusion you get justifying yourself. Then you get to be a critical pain in the ass telling others they are wrong for what they believe in. You get caught in a loop. You can become a Topix atheist or a music critic.
Or something like that.
You can be a critical thinker and avoid complacency and settling for mediocrity. It has NOTHING to do with being a pain is the ass, unless you are the one being criticized for accepting mediocrity. For following the "herd," accepting what is the popular stance and conforming to the norm.

The true creative mind is a skeptical one, a mind that values NOT being sucked into what is considered the norm. The creative mind seeks higher levels in all aspects of life including Art forms. It abhors anything lacking in substance especially if it is trying to be passed off as truly creative and of the highest standers. The simple mind follows the crowd as you apparently do, as demonstrated by you being totally impressed with numbers and popularity. "He's sold 40 CD's and has appeared on youtube." "He's more "popular" so I guess that means-----to you anyway, that he must be really good!!!

Yes, anyone believing is anything for NO good reason is WRONG!!! Our beliefs inform our actions, believing in anything without evidence or for NO reason is not only WRONG, its dangerous.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#155494 Feb 21, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
Or something like that.
Or nothing at all like that.

Location hidden

#155495 Feb 21, 2013
http://www.weather.com/news/science/massive-s...

Pay no attention. It is only EM. Totally insignificant.

Ignore the fact it is growing so rapidly, which kinda means it is very energetic. Just mass in a higher acceleration rate. Ignorable perturbation.

Gravity is the basis of your life and existence. And virtual particles. Ask Polymath.

However, until it decides what it wants to do, keep track so you can schedule phone calls and avoid various other minor inconveniences.

Location hidden

#155496 Feb 21, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>You can be a critical thinker and avoid complacency and settling for mediocrity. It has NOTHING to do with being a pain is the ass, unless you are the one being criticized for accepting mediocrity. For following the "herd," accepting what is the popular stance and conforming to the norm.
The true creative mind is a skeptical one, a mind that values NOT being sucked into what is considered the norm. The creative mind seeks higher levels in all aspects of life including Art forms. It abhors anything lacking in substance especially if it is trying to be passed off as truly creative and of the highest standers. The simple mind follows the crowd as you apparently do, as demonstrated by you being totally impressed with numbers and popularity. "He's sold 40 CD's and has appeared on youtube." "He's more "popular" so I guess that means-----to you anyway, that he must be really good!!!
Yes, anyone believing is anything for NO good reason is WRONG!!! Our beliefs inform our actions, believing in anything without evidence or for NO reason is not only WRONG, its dangerous.
"Yes, anyone believing is anything for NO good reason is WRONG!!! Our beliefs inform our actions, believing in anything without evidence or for NO reason is not only WRONG, its dangerous."

So, I take it that is what you believe?

I believe myself and others may believe you have a wrong perspective on which you are basing your beliefs that you believe in so strongly, which is in essence believing without good evidence as your belief that believing in anything can be based upon no good reason is really beyond logic. Everyone has a reason to justify their belief to themselves.

Or something like that. I believe.

Oh, Enigma is another of my favorites. Do you believe my belief Michael Cretu is good is illusional? Feel the music.

Location hidden

#155497 Feb 21, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Or nothing at all like that.
Poor Poly. Your virtual particles are blinding you. They are warping your perspective. Random little buggers are good at that.

Location hidden

#155498 Feb 21, 2013
Kitten and Poly remind me of little Johnny getting home from school one day.

He runs into the kitchen while Mommy is fixing dinner hollering "Mom, guess what I learned in school today?".

"What was that, dear?", says Mommy.

"How babies are made!", gushes Johnny.

Then, as she slowly and deliberately picks up the pot she just dropped, Mommy says "Oh?".

Little Johnny then gushes out "Yeah, they have these things called zygotes that make them!".

Mom says, as she let's out a deep breath, "Oh, very good dear." "Now, let's go wash your hands".

A God would just smile.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#155499 Feb 21, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
http://www.weather.com/news/sc ience/massive-sunspot-forms-20 130220
Pay no attention. It is only EM. Totally insignificant.
Ignore the fact it is growing so rapidly, which kinda means it is very energetic. Just mass in a higher acceleration rate. Ignorable perturbation.
Gravity is the basis of your life and existence. And virtual particles. Ask Polymath.
However, until it decides what it wants to do, keep track so you can schedule phone calls and avoid various other minor inconveniences.
Did I ever say that EM was irrelevant? In some situations, it can be very relevant. But not *all* situations. Also, it is important to be precise about exactly what is going on. You tend to confuse things like polarity, electricity, electric fields, electric potentials, not to mention magnetic fields, magnets, and magnetism. Without precise use of language, understanding is impossible.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#155500 Feb 21, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong.
1) Populations evolve, not individuals.
2) The definitions of 'fish, mammal, T-Rex, etc' are fuzzy. There isn't a precise line separating T-Rex from 'not-T-Rex'.
3) The amount of time it takes a changing population to cross that fuzzy boundary is measured in hundreds, if not thousands, of generations.
These together mean that no single individual can be labeled the 'first' of any species. Nor, for that matter, can any single generation.
There has to be a precise line separating T-Rex from 'not-T-Rex'. We just haven't found it yet & likely never will.

T-Rex was a living animal, there had to be a first & a last.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#155501 Feb 21, 2013
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
I specifically told you WHY you were wrong: populations evolve, not individuals.
I never said that populations don't evolve. But at some point a population of something gradually became a population of Tyrannosaurus Rex, meaning that there had to be a first T-Rex, just like there had to be a last T-Rex.
Thinking

Hounslow, UK

#155502 Feb 21, 2013
Why?
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
There has to be a precise line separating T-Rex from 'not-T-Rex'

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 4 hr Eagle 12 2,275
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 4 hr EXPERT 23,181
A New Kinder, Gentler Atheism 6 hr _Bad Company 120
Islam is the Enemy (Sep '12) 10 hr Thinking 28
God' existence 10 hr Thinking 57
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 11 hr thetruth 1,442
Atheism does not exist at all 11 hr thetruth 4
More from around the web