Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
149,421 - 149,440 of 226,167 Comments Last updated 29 min ago

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2013

Judged:

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
There are various names given to various methods of energy transfer. Energy is motion, nothing more.
Wrong. That is called kinetic energy. There are many other forms of energy. For example, the energy of an EM field is NOT due to motion.
Electric fields add up to electric currents if given a path to follow, meaning low resistance relative to the charge buildup.
You also need the charge. In a light wave, there is no charge.
People are taught the glass bends light rays by popular depiction so that it gives an idea to the masses. The light wave actually adds energy to the glass structure, the glass structure then discharges that excess to the fingertip according to its structure. The same happens to us.
Wrong yet again.
The Bible also describes things designed for the masses to understand, even though not exact.
So it is unreliable in detail.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2013

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Try again. Here, I'll do it for you. "When taken literally, Genesis is assumed to be false."
<quoted text>
According to ToE, it is assumed that every living thing evolved from some goo. There had to have been a first fish, a first bird, a first T-Rex, a first Neanderthal and a first homo sapien.
Wrong.

1) Populations evolve, not individuals.

2) The definitions of 'fish, mammal, T-Rex, etc' are fuzzy. There isn't a precise line separating T-Rex from 'not-T-Rex'.

3) The amount of time it takes a changing population to cross that fuzzy boundary is measured in hundreds, if not thousands, of generations.

These together mean that no single individual can be labeled the 'first' of any species. Nor, for that matter, can any single generation.
Anon

Lakewood, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2013

Dave Nelson wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =FxY0QxacEmMXX
Here is a beautiful little example of why religion is so important.
How could you be inspired by this mediocre piece of crap?

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2013

Judged:

polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong. That is called kinetic energy. There are many other forms of energy. For example, the energy of an EM field is NOT due to motion.
<quoted text>
You also need the charge. In a light wave, there is no charge.
<quoted text>
Wrong yet again.
<quoted text>
So it is unreliable in detail.
You are wrong.

You get a charge, polarity, from motion within the atom at the least. How else could you get your "neutral" atom. There are no monopoles.

Your light wave or particle is passing through the charges of the object such as that lens. I think that passing through has something to do with motion. That energy will disrupt the local relative equilibrium.

Your atoms are fields occupying space. Particles are the concentrated portions which gives the illusion of "solidity" because of the limitations of the observing apparatus. Your atomic theory is these fields, or charges, hold the particles, or concentrations, in a matrix. Your "empty" space between concentrations is not "empty", it is occupied by those charged fields. Disturb that space and you affect the whole equilibrium of the matrix.

You need to get away from worshiping your idols and more into what created them.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2013

Anon wrote:
<quoted text>
How could you be inspired by this mediocre piece of crap?
If you had any soul or poetry in you it would be obvious.

Has to do with being trapped, desperation, and holding on for something better, to have it reshaped, like dust in gravity.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2013

I swear, if you gave a Topix atheist a brain they would stare at it blankly, or put it between two slices of bread. Not enough creativity to even roll it into a snakey or ball, teacher would have to show them how.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2013

Judged:

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
BTW, the earth is a pressurized container.
Your complete and total lack of scientific study is astounding.
Anon

Lakewood, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2013

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
If you had any soul or poetry in you it would be obvious.
Has to do with being trapped, desperation, and holding on for something better, to have it reshaped, like dust in gravity.
I quite realize all that. It's still a mediocre effort at best.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2013

Anon wrote:
<quoted text>
I quite realize all that. It's still a mediocre effort at best.
Better than none at all.

Here, put some mustard on it. It will taste better.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2013

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Grab a barometer. Read it. Put it in your pocket.

On your next trip out to Neptune, pull it out and read it again along the way.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2013

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh.

Here, put a little of this cinnamon on it. It goes good with that latte.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2013

Judged:

The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
No, it's known, beyond a reasonable doubt. The evidence quite clearly contradicts it.
<quoted text>
If you think that's the case, you don't understand the ToE correctly. Populations evolve, not individuals.
The ole infamous atheist comeback, "you just don't understand"

'_'

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2013

Judged:

There is an interesting corollary between quantum physics and existence. Has to do with the effect of the observer on the observed.

Keep in mind what you observe is what you exist in.

Being "objective" is being critical. As you know, there is a difference between being critical as in discerning, and being critical as in being a pain in the ass to everyone else.

You can be a critical thinker that can change your world into something devoid of fun. The magic is no longer in the world you lived in, but in the delusion you get justifying yourself. Then you get to be a critical pain in the ass telling others they are wrong for what they believe in. You get caught in a loop. You can become a Topix atheist or a music critic.

Or something like that.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
'_'
I specifically told you WHY you were wrong: populations evolve, not individuals.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
'_'
Then learn it so you will understand it.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2013

Judged:

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Then learn it so you will understand it.
You confuse studying and info gathering with knowledge. Knowledge is understanding what you gathered. You have to apply some brain power to that which just can't be handed to you.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2013

Dave Nelson wrote:
There is an interesting corollary between quantum physics and existence. Has to do with the effect of the observer on the observed.
Keep in mind what you observe is what you exist in.
Being "objective" is being critical. As you know, there is a difference between being critical as in discerning, and being critical as in being a pain in the ass to everyone else.
You can be a critical thinker that can change your world into something devoid of fun. The magic is no longer in the world you lived in, but in the delusion you get justifying yourself. Then you get to be a critical pain in the ass telling others they are wrong for what they believe in. You get caught in a loop. You can become a Topix atheist or a music critic.
Or something like that.
You can be a critical thinker and avoid complacency and settling for mediocrity. It has NOTHING to do with being a pain is the ass, unless you are the one being criticized for accepting mediocrity. For following the "herd," accepting what is the popular stance and conforming to the norm.

The true creative mind is a skeptical one, a mind that values NOT being sucked into what is considered the norm. The creative mind seeks higher levels in all aspects of life including Art forms. It abhors anything lacking in substance especially if it is trying to be passed off as truly creative and of the highest standers. The simple mind follows the crowd as you apparently do, as demonstrated by you being totally impressed with numbers and popularity. "He's sold 40 CD's and has appeared on youtube." "He's more "popular" so I guess that means-----to you anyway, that he must be really good!!!

Yes, anyone believing is anything for NO good reason is WRONG!!! Our beliefs inform our actions, believing in anything without evidence or for NO reason is not only WRONG, its dangerous.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2013

Dave Nelson wrote:
Or something like that.
Or nothing at all like that.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2013

Judged:

http://www.weather.com/news/science/massive-s...

Pay no attention. It is only EM. Totally insignificant.

Ignore the fact it is growing so rapidly, which kinda means it is very energetic. Just mass in a higher acceleration rate. Ignorable perturbation.

Gravity is the basis of your life and existence. And virtual particles. Ask Polymath.

However, until it decides what it wants to do, keep track so you can schedule phone calls and avoid various other minor inconveniences.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2013

Judged:

blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>You can be a critical thinker and avoid complacency and settling for mediocrity. It has NOTHING to do with being a pain is the ass, unless you are the one being criticized for accepting mediocrity. For following the "herd," accepting what is the popular stance and conforming to the norm.
The true creative mind is a skeptical one, a mind that values NOT being sucked into what is considered the norm. The creative mind seeks higher levels in all aspects of life including Art forms. It abhors anything lacking in substance especially if it is trying to be passed off as truly creative and of the highest standers. The simple mind follows the crowd as you apparently do, as demonstrated by you being totally impressed with numbers and popularity. "He's sold 40 CD's and has appeared on youtube." "He's more "popular" so I guess that means-----to you anyway, that he must be really good!!!
Yes, anyone believing is anything for NO good reason is WRONG!!! Our beliefs inform our actions, believing in anything without evidence or for NO reason is not only WRONG, its dangerous.
"Yes, anyone believing is anything for NO good reason is WRONG!!! Our beliefs inform our actions, believing in anything without evidence or for NO reason is not only WRONG, its dangerous."

So, I take it that is what you believe?

I believe myself and others may believe you have a wrong perspective on which you are basing your beliefs that you believe in so strongly, which is in essence believing without good evidence as your belief that believing in anything can be based upon no good reason is really beyond logic. Everyone has a reason to justify their belief to themselves.

Or something like that. I believe.

Oh, Enigma is another of my favorites. Do you believe my belief Michael Cretu is good is illusional? Feel the music.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheists forgetting the meaning of freedom 10 min USN Atheist 35
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 59 min fadu singh 21,492
Richard Dawkins in a nutshell 2 hr religionislies 25
Should Uninformed Opinion Be Respected? 2 hr religionislies 8
100% Faith Free 7 hr religionislies 7
Our world came from nothing? 9 hr NightSerf 395
Atheists that tout free thinking use bully tact... 15 hr NightSerf 6
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••