Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Comments (Page 7,471)

Showing posts 149,401 - 149,420 of223,136
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2013

Judged:

Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Mouth to nose in a lump of clay is just plain stupid.
And the latest CPR guidelines say Compressions, Airway, Breathing, in that order.
It is no longer ABC. It is now CAB.
The stupid is taking that breathing into a lump of clay as literal, and then trying to pass it off as intellectual thought. Like you just did.

Your limited mentality again limits your perspective to some being in a material form breathing into a lump of wet dirt. You can't get past the possibility this deity being somewhat larger than you can see.

Put your lump of clay in a closed container. Your lump has cavities in it, right? In your case, a really large on above your shoulders.

Pressurize the container. What happens? Some of that pressure finds its way into those cavities. Chemical processes can then be activated.
You need to exhale from that cranial cavity you have and get let some fresh air back in.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2013

Judged:

The_Box wrote:
Genesis was written by people who had no knowledge of human origins, and had to make up magical explanations for them. God breathing life into dust to make a man and then make a women out of his rib is magic. It's not even an attempt to be a scientific explanation.
Well no shit it's not an attempt to be a scientific explanation, it's the Bible, not a 10th grade science book.

The Bible doesn't claim to offer scientific explanations. Never has, never will.

That doesn't mean it's false, though. It also doesn't teach you how to roast a turkey, tie your shoes or pour concrete...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2013

Judged:

The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
No, it isn't. That's just a contrarian. A freethinker would reject accepted opinions if they were being accepted based simply on tradition or authority, like religion.
Which happens to be the exact opposite of you.
Freethought holds that individuals should not accept ideas proposed as truth without recourse to knowledge and reason.

Freethinkers thought the steady state model was accurate.

Freethinkers thought insects were borne of rotting food.

Freethinkers thought the eath was flat.

Freethinkers thought the Milky Way was the universe.

Freethinkers thought the universe is infinite, then finite, then infinite.

Ad nauseum

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2013

Judged:

Thinking wrote:
As an aside, does any religion *not* have a creation myth?
Does any religion say, "We're not sure how it all started, so let's do some scientific research."?
<quoted text>
Actually, yes. Christianity says that God createed everything. We're trying to find out HOW He did it.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2013

Judged:

Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
How long have you been in the 'Bible turd polishing' business?
You are desperate.
Your religion is absurd, allergic to reality, and losing its grip. As knowledge increases your fantasy world will collapse.
Yes, thou shalt deny the facts but thou art lying to thyself. Google it.
A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep.~Saul Bellow
I see your mind is incapable of learning, especially where the Bible is concerned.

You've got your own opinions about it and that's that.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2013

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Well no shit it's not an attempt to be a scientific explanation, it's the Bible, not a 10th grade science book.
The Bible doesn't claim to offer scientific explanations. Never has, never will.
That doesn't mean it's false, though. It also doesn't teach you how to roast a turkey, tie your shoes or pour concrete...
Except we know that it is false. The evidence shows that humans evolved from earlier hominids, not that we were molded out of dust and created in an instant.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2013

Judged:

Imhotep wrote:
How long have you been in the 'Bible turd polishing' business?
How long have you been in the bible bashing business?

Seems a complete waste of time to bash something you claim to not believe in...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2013

Judged:

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
The stupid is taking that breathing into a lump of clay as literal, and then trying to pass it off as intellectual thought. Like you just did.
Your limited mentality again limits your perspective to some being in a material form breathing into a lump of wet dirt. You can't get past the possibility this deity being somewhat larger than you can see.
Put your lump of clay in a closed container. Your lump has cavities in it, right? In your case, a really large on above your shoulders.
Pressurize the container. What happens? Some of that pressure finds its way into those cavities. Chemical processes can then be activated.
You need to exhale from that cranial cavity you have and get let some fresh air back in.
BTW, the earth is a pressurized container.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2013

Judged:

The_Box wrote:
Except we know that it is false. The evidence shows that humans evolved from earlier hominids, not that we were molded out of dust and created in an instant.
And by what authority and/or evidence have you concluded that the story of Adam is literal?

Also, how do you know that Adam wasn't the first homo sapien?

Also, how are you the end-all be-all of what is Bible?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2013

Judged:

The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
What makes you think the earlier hominids couldn't be Adam and Eve and the earlier begatters?
Thinking

Yeovil, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2013

Is there anything good about you?
Siro wrote:
<quoted text>
But you were never a girl, you fugly tranny
What a bs artist you are
Poof

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2013

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
And by what authority and/or evidence have you concluded that the story of Adam is literal?
Fair enough. I'll restate: When taken literally, Genesis is known to be false.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Also, how do you know that Adam wasn't the first homo sapien?
There was no 'first homo sapien'. Populations evolve, not individuals.
Thinking

Yeovil, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2013

Judged:

Yes, that's your creation myth. I wanted to know if any religion doesn't have a creation myth.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Christianity says that God createed everything.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2013

Judged:

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
What makes you think the earlier hominids couldn't be Adam and Eve and the earlier begatters?
The earliest humans (Adam/Eve/Cain/Abel) in the Bible practiced agriculture, had complex language, and built cities. They're clearly not early hominids.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2013

Judged:

I'm going to do some role playing here. I'm going to play act as a Topix atheist.

Hell, let me get properly prepared. Excuse me while I walk out to the concrete block fence.

THUMP!!!!!!

Uh, duh. Gee, that kinda hurted.

What was i doing? Oh, yeah.

Where is that low lifing blacklagoon?

Blackie, how dare you try to impose your values and definitions of what is true, fact, good, righteous, and all of that stuff on me. I have no belief in your music. It is something only goatherders and militaristic minds could find to be "truth". You fundie jazzturd. Believing in an imaginary skycooldaddy of music. A mindless boob trained to believe in such a thing. A high priest of bullshit just trying to sell some records.

Everyone was born a music atheist.

In segments of 4000 characters or less, take as many sections of them as you need, explain to us just why we should follow your illusionary path to musical nirvana.

Where is the proof of your false god?

Or something like that.

“YO BOO”

Since: Sep 07

land of BOO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2013

Thinking wrote:
Yes, that's your creation myth. I wanted to know if any religion doesn't have a creation myth.
<quoted text>
YO dude where have been??? how is yo sister been... are yall still doing it???

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2013

Judged:

The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
The earliest humans (Adam/Eve/Cain/Abel) in the Bible practiced agriculture, had complex language, and built cities. They're clearly not early hominids.
How do you deduce that?

The earliest humans would be found buried under settled places, not in the wilds of Africa like Lucy. It is an assumption modern humans started out as wild creatures.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2013

The_Box wrote:
Fair enough. I'll restate: When taken literally, Genesis is known to be false.
Try again. Here, I'll do it for you. "When taken literally, Genesis is assumed to be false."
There was no 'first homo sapien'. Populations evolve, not individuals.
According to ToE, it is assumed that every living thing evolved from some goo. There had to have been a first fish, a first bird, a first T-Rex, a first Neanderthal and a first homo sapien.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2013

Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't have a creation myth, so...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2013

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
How do you deduce that?
The earliest humans would be found buried under settled places, not in the wilds of Africa like Lucy. It is an assumption modern humans started out as wild creatures.
I used the term "early hominids", not "early humans".

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 149,401 - 149,420 of223,136
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••