Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 244951 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#155460 Feb 21, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Well no shit it's not an attempt to be a scientific explanation, it's the Bible, not a 10th grade science book.
The Bible doesn't claim to offer scientific explanations. Never has, never will.
That doesn't mean it's false, though. It also doesn't teach you how to roast a turkey, tie your shoes or pour concrete...
Except we know that it is false. The evidence shows that humans evolved from earlier hominids, not that we were molded out of dust and created in an instant.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#155461 Feb 21, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
How long have you been in the 'Bible turd polishing' business?
How long have you been in the bible bashing business?

Seems a complete waste of time to bash something you claim to not believe in...

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#155462 Feb 21, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
The stupid is taking that breathing into a lump of clay as literal, and then trying to pass it off as intellectual thought. Like you just did.
Your limited mentality again limits your perspective to some being in a material form breathing into a lump of wet dirt. You can't get past the possibility this deity being somewhat larger than you can see.
Put your lump of clay in a closed container. Your lump has cavities in it, right? In your case, a really large on above your shoulders.
Pressurize the container. What happens? Some of that pressure finds its way into those cavities. Chemical processes can then be activated.
You need to exhale from that cranial cavity you have and get let some fresh air back in.
BTW, the earth is a pressurized container.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#155463 Feb 21, 2013
The_Box wrote:
Except we know that it is false. The evidence shows that humans evolved from earlier hominids, not that we were molded out of dust and created in an instant.
And by what authority and/or evidence have you concluded that the story of Adam is literal?

Also, how do you know that Adam wasn't the first homo sapien?

Also, how are you the end-all be-all of what is Bible?

Westcliffe, CO

#155464 Feb 21, 2013
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
What makes you think the earlier hominids couldn't be Adam and Eve and the earlier begatters?
Thinking

Hounslow, UK

#155465 Feb 21, 2013
Is there anything good about you?
Siro wrote:
<quoted text>
But you were never a girl, you fugly tranny
What a bs artist you are
Poof

Location hidden

#155466 Feb 21, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
And by what authority and/or evidence have you concluded that the story of Adam is literal?
Fair enough. I'll restate: When taken literally, Genesis is known to be false.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Also, how do you know that Adam wasn't the first homo sapien?
There was no 'first homo sapien'. Populations evolve, not individuals.
Thinking

Hounslow, UK

#155467 Feb 21, 2013
Yes, that's your creation myth. I wanted to know if any religion doesn't have a creation myth.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Christianity says that God createed everything.

Location hidden

#155468 Feb 21, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
What makes you think the earlier hominids couldn't be Adam and Eve and the earlier begatters?
The earliest humans (Adam/Eve/Cain/Abel) in the Bible practiced agriculture, had complex language, and built cities. They're clearly not early hominids.

Westcliffe, CO

#155469 Feb 21, 2013
I'm going to do some role playing here. I'm going to play act as a Topix atheist.

Hell, let me get properly prepared. Excuse me while I walk out to the concrete block fence.

THUMP!!!!!!

Uh, duh. Gee, that kinda hurted.

What was i doing? Oh, yeah.

Where is that low lifing blacklagoon?

Blackie, how dare you try to impose your values and definitions of what is true, fact, good, righteous, and all of that stuff on me. I have no belief in your music. It is something only goatherders and militaristic minds could find to be "truth". You fundie jazzturd. Believing in an imaginary skycooldaddy of music. A mindless boob trained to believe in such a thing. A high priest of bullshit just trying to sell some records.

Everyone was born a music atheist.

In segments of 4000 characters or less, take as many sections of them as you need, explain to us just why we should follow your illusionary path to musical nirvana.

Where is the proof of your false god?

Or something like that.

“YO BOO”

Since: Sep 07

land of BOO

#155470 Feb 21, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Yes, that's your creation myth. I wanted to know if any religion doesn't have a creation myth.
<quoted text>
YO dude where have been??? how is yo sister been... are yall still doing it???

Westcliffe, CO

#155471 Feb 21, 2013
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
The earliest humans (Adam/Eve/Cain/Abel) in the Bible practiced agriculture, had complex language, and built cities. They're clearly not early hominids.
How do you deduce that?

The earliest humans would be found buried under settled places, not in the wilds of Africa like Lucy. It is an assumption modern humans started out as wild creatures.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#155472 Feb 21, 2013
The_Box wrote:
Fair enough. I'll restate: When taken literally, Genesis is known to be false.
Try again. Here, I'll do it for you. "When taken literally, Genesis is assumed to be false."
There was no 'first homo sapien'. Populations evolve, not individuals.
According to ToE, it is assumed that every living thing evolved from some goo. There had to have been a first fish, a first bird, a first T-Rex, a first Neanderthal and a first homo sapien.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#155473 Feb 21, 2013
Thinking wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't have a creation myth, so...

Location hidden

#155474 Feb 21, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
How do you deduce that?
The earliest humans would be found buried under settled places, not in the wilds of Africa like Lucy. It is an assumption modern humans started out as wild creatures.
I used the term "early hominids", not "early humans".

Westcliffe, CO

#155475 Feb 21, 2013

Here is a beautiful little example of why religion is so important.

Location hidden

#155476 Feb 21, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Try again. Here, I'll do it for you. "When taken literally, Genesis is assumed to be false."
No, it's known, beyond a reasonable doubt. The evidence quite clearly contradicts it.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
According to ToE, it is assumed that every living thing evolved from some goo. There had to have been a first fish, a first bird, a first T-Rex, a first Neanderthal and a first homo sapien.
If you think that's the case, you don't understand the ToE correctly. Populations evolve, not individuals.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#155477 Feb 21, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
There are various names given to various methods of energy transfer. Energy is motion, nothing more.
Wrong. That is called kinetic energy. There are many other forms of energy. For example, the energy of an EM field is NOT due to motion.
Electric fields add up to electric currents if given a path to follow, meaning low resistance relative to the charge buildup.
You also need the charge. In a light wave, there is no charge.
People are taught the glass bends light rays by popular depiction so that it gives an idea to the masses. The light wave actually adds energy to the glass structure, the glass structure then discharges that excess to the fingertip according to its structure. The same happens to us.
Wrong yet again.
The Bible also describes things designed for the masses to understand, even though not exact.
So it is unreliable in detail.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#155478 Feb 21, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Wrong.

1) Populations evolve, not individuals.

2) The definitions of 'fish, mammal, T-Rex, etc' are fuzzy. There isn't a precise line separating T-Rex from 'not-T-Rex'.

3) The amount of time it takes a changing population to cross that fuzzy boundary is measured in hundreds, if not thousands, of generations.

These together mean that no single individual can be labeled the 'first' of any species. Nor, for that matter, can any single generation.
Anon

Lakewood, OH

#155479 Feb 21, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =FxY0QxacEmMXX
Here is a beautiful little example of why religion is so important.
How could you be inspired by this mediocre piece of crap?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
John 3:16 26 min thetruth 83
News Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) 30 min thetruth 14,666
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 36 min emperorjohn 10,947
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 8 hr dirtclod 20,623
Atheists should stop feeding the stereotypes 23 hr NightSerf 18
News Si Robertson, 'Duck Dynasty' Star, Says Atheist... Fri thetruth 42
Atheists and the "Moses Syndrome" Fri Shizle 20
More from around the web