Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#155369 Feb 20, 2013
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
He uses super god breath to turn a dust figure into an adult human. What part of that ISN'T magic?
The term freethinker doesn't mean you're supposed to be gullible and believe everything.
See? You think it's magic. Just as a person a few hundred years ago would think a zippo is magic...

A freethinker is a person that rejects accepted opinions...

That is NOT you.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#155370 Feb 20, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
See? You think it's magic. Just as a person a few hundred years ago would think a zippo is magic...
That is NOT you.
The wheellock existed several hundred years ago, so you will have to do better than that.

Since: Mar 11

Chicago, IL

#155371 Feb 20, 2013
And what is the majority accepted opinions? Hmmm oh ya that some god created everything.

Guess we are free thinkers after all :)
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
That is NOT you.
Thinking

Hounslow, UK

#155372 Feb 20, 2013
German ones are. They seat four.
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Microwave ovens aren't strong enough to lift a car off the ground.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#155374 Feb 20, 2013
Thinking wrote:
German ones are. They seat four.
<quoted text>
Ooh, you missed the free rationality giveaway.

If they have another one leave your number so they can call you in advance.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#155375 Feb 20, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Your analogy is asinine.

Genesis was written by people who had no knowledge of human origins, and had to make up magical explanations for them. God breathing life into dust to make a man and then make a women out of his rib is magic. It's not even an attempt to be a scientific explanation.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#155376 Feb 20, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
That is NOT you.
No, it isn't. That's just a contrarian. A freethinker would reject accepted opinions if they were being accepted based simply on tradition or authority, like religion.

Which happens to be the exact opposite of you.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#155377 Feb 20, 2013
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
Your analogy is asinine.
Genesis was written by people who had no knowledge of human origins, and had to make up magical explanations for them. God breathing life into dust to make a man and then make a women out of his rib is magic. It's not even an attempt to be a scientific explanation.
Let's just say it was a very bad attempt, at a scientific explanation.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#155379 Feb 20, 2013
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think anyone believes that you are married. Just keep WAGing that BS!
Go to a comedy club on armature night and spread the joy.

Southern Illinois

#155380 Feb 20, 2013
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
Your analogy is asinine.
Thank you for sharing with us your insignificant opinion.

I shall hold onto your opinion as long as it takes me to…

[Hit print, printing, folding it into a paper airplane, launching it, crashing into the trash can].

Thinking

Hounslow, UK

#155381 Feb 20, 2013
As an aside, does any religion *not* have a creation myth?

Does any religion say, "We're not sure how it all started, so let's do some scientific research."?
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
Your analogy is asinine.
Imhotep

United States

#155382 Feb 20, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
This can go real deep, but I will try to explain the jist of it.
God's sanctuary is a carnal typification of the spiritual. Everything had to be purified to go into the santuary.
The "lame at the gate" represents all "flesh", all of us, because we all have blemishes.
The short of it is that "ALL will be sanctified". Christ died for ALL those with blemish (all of us).
How long have you been in the 'Bible turd polishing' business?

You are desperate.

Your religion is absurd, allergic to reality, and losing its grip. As knowledge increases your fantasy world will collapse.

Yes, thou shalt deny the facts but thou art lying to thyself. Google it.

“A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep.”~Saul Bellow

Southern Illinois

#155383 Feb 20, 2013
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
It's called the supernatural creation of a human being. Just like how Eve was made out of a rib.
Pulmonary resuscitation is a process done to a living person to KEEP them living since one of their functions has ceased working.
Genesis 2 describes a process done to non-living dust/dirt/clay to turn it into a living person.
It doesn't match and you trying to force it to just makes you look silly and desperate.
Thank you kindly, I shall file your opinion away for safe keeping into “It doesn’t matter file.”

Or should I put in the,“Who gives a sh** file?”

Don’t worry, I find a good place for it.
Thinking

Hounslow, UK

#155384 Feb 20, 2013
That's where I put gideon's bibles.
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you kindly, I shall file your opinion away for safe keeping into “It doesn’t matter file.”
Or should I put in the,“Who gives a sh** file?”
Don’t worry, I find a good place for it.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#155385 Feb 20, 2013
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
Your analogy is asinine.
You make some big assumptions.

If man had watched his ancestors turn into dust consistently for a while he may scientifically deduce they, and themselves, were also made of the same stuff. Quite understandable, eh? Since they probably also noticed that they could walk around, eat, make babies and such, and other dust just kinda got trampled and blown around that they then had something special in them. Not an unreasonable conclusion. Since they couldn't see it, per se, but they did see the dust animated by it, two and two started to add up. Wind? Breath?(their own could stir dust) Scientific deduction based upon hard physical observation.

Give them a break, they didn't have the experts of today to tell them that we originated as a magic poof that then settled down into an order, except for those damned pixie particles that drift in and out messing up numbers, and this order let that dust collect, and collect, and collect, until "Voila!" we are here.

Of course we had to wade through about 100 billion ancestors to get to these modern, new improved ones that discovered those pixie particles.

Forgive your mommas and daddies. They didn't know what they were doing. But I am sure they meant well.
Thinking

Hounslow, UK

#155386 Feb 20, 2013
In sculpture, an armature is a framework around which the sculpture is built.
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Go to a comedy club on armature night and spread the joy.
bohart

Newport, TN

#155388 Feb 20, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> Let's just say it was a very bad attempt, at a scientific explanation.
Yeah , nothing like sciences attempt to explain how life started, the first attempts were made by the ancient Greek philosophers who speculated that there must have been a spontaneous generation of life. This concept was embraced on into the 21st century, when it was renamed abiogenesis .

Abiogenesis's origins were invented by ancient Greek bronze age goat herders , ha,ha,ha.
Thinking

Hounslow, UK

#155389 Feb 20, 2013
Well, that's believers for you.
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
...they didn't have the experts of today...

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#155390 Feb 20, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
So what.
Yeah, who cares about the "house" of your
god". I agree numb nuts.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#155391 Feb 20, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
He does quite a few acoustic numbers. Plays banjo, too. Probably real good on a mandolin.
Listen to him. You might learn something.
Go blow some of your hot air. They could use it in Kansas tomorrow.
Without his electronic assistance his music is featureless. He obviously has no knowledge of complex harmonies, and unable to play any really fully developed melodies. All thats left is endless diatonic runs and arpeggiated chords from the same diatonic framework. Now put a real guitarists in an acoustic setting and he'll blow your mind. Someone like Joe Pass, or Grey Sargent, Pat Metheny, or any other Jazz or classical guitarist. Pukebucket without his mask, stupid bucket, or his electronics, which is his life's blood, he becomes a 5 years old compared to real players.

Yes I can learn from pukebucket, I can learn how infantile your mind is to link this zero to the word Genius. I can learn how simple you mind is, and how anything of complexity and beauty is a complete mystery to you. I can learn that you possess absolutely no passion in your life, and the arts to you means number paintings, and music so childish anyone with any intelligence would be embarrassed to admit to thinking there is ANY substance to it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Our world came from nothing? 19 min Thinking 459
Stump a theist with 2 questions 22 min Patrick 35
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 43 min Dak-Original 22,211
Bill Maher's "dirty secret": He's deeply religi... 44 min NightSerf 2
Atheism vs. Theism: Knowns and Unknowns 1 hr Carchar king 49
Why I have rejected ATHEISM because of the JEWS 1 hr Thinking 3
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 14 hr Patrick 925
•••

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE