Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#155349 Feb 20, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not trying to get you to think outside the box but to just think.
No, you're trying to BS people and it's been very ineffective.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#155350 Feb 20, 2013
Buckethead and Yanni should hook up, they would put the sleeping pill business out of business! lmao!

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#155351 Feb 20, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
I can see where a certain growth got short circuited in your mental development.
What is a copper wire? A bunch of dead molecules, right?
Touch one laying on the table. Deader than a door nail. Stick one in the hot side of an outlet and touch it. Still deader than a door nail, right? Touch it and wet your finger and touch the screw in the middle of that outlet.
Not so dead after all, is it?
It still isn't alive. It is charged and connected to an electric potential, but that is a very different thing from being alive.

There is certainly a short circuit in understanding somewhere, but it isn't with blacklagoon.

Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

#155352 Feb 20, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
As long as you stay out of hot tubs.
Eagle, Eagle, Eagle.

20 pushups.

You know why.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#155353 Feb 20, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, if a couple of hot babes where in there too and I wasn‘t married. I just might and they were laughing and giggling and having a good time.
I don't think anyone believes that you are married. Just keep WAGing that BS!

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#155354 Feb 20, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Bacteria are atheist.
You were the one claiming *all* known life comes from some sort of seed. I simply pointed out that you are wrong (again).

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#155355 Feb 20, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Microwave ovens aren't strong enough to lift a car off the ground. Set to low, bypass the door lockout, stick your head in one, and come back and tell me magnets, as in magnetic force, does not affect chemical processes.
I will wait.
The main force affecting things here is the electric component of the microwaves, not the magnetic component. Try again.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#155356 Feb 20, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/wa...
High frequency EM.
BTW, the E and the M exist together. Can't really get one without the other.
Yes, you can. But *changing* electric fields produce magnetic fields and *changing* magnetic fields produce electric fields. Thanks Faraday.

Location hidden

#155357 Feb 20, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Bacteria are atheist.
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
You were the one claiming *all* known life comes from some sort of seed. I simply pointed out that you are wrong (again).
I'm thinking bacteria or specifically the communication between bacteria , which in turn formed the ability to acquire memory.
Is the reason of life as we know it. Meaning bacteria could well be the reason of all life.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#155358 Feb 20, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Smart enough to know good music.
You don't understand DNA and the EM part. It is a filter or transducer for that energy.
No, actually, it isn't.
Much like the processor in your computer. Does the routing and determines the connections.
No, actually, it doesn't. It is closer to the ROM than the CPU. If anything, the ribosomes are closer to being the CPU. The ribosomes are what take the RNA and translate it into proteins. And it is the proteins that determine the 'routing' and 'connections', not the DNA. Plus, the DNA has to be translated into RNA before the RNA gets processed by the ribosomes.
Pretty complicated little processor, but it isn't a central one. Lots and lots of them working in parallel, like in each cell.
In that sense, DNA is alive. If it wasn't, you wouldn't be either.
Wrong yet again. Perhaps you should learn a bit of biochemistry?

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#155359 Feb 20, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Slavery, and oppression of women, and belief in a supernatural is not a "Christian" thing. You like to pin it on us because you hate Christians, but you're wrong.
They are very Biblical. And you say belief in a supernatural is not a Christian thing??? Really??

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#155360 Feb 20, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
It still isn't alive. It is charged and connected to an electric potential, but that is a very different thing from being alive.
There is certainly a short circuit in understanding somewhere, but it isn't with blacklagoon.
Then you are going to have to give us the official physics and math definition of what "alive" is. Go for it.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#155361 Feb 20, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
KNOCK KNOCK
Is anybody, or anything, in there?
Your whole damned body is chemicals. You can even ask a Topix atheist.
Electricity makes it "alive". Gravity and the nuclear forces just kind of sit there like knots on a log.
Jeez, you think you are something magical?
It is the chemical potential difference between oxygen and the molecules in food that 'makes it alive'. That isn't 'electricity' in the sense of electric current. There are moving electrons in the electron transport chain of metabolism, but life can exist without that (happens in bacteria). Transmission in neurons is primarily by induction, not conduction (saltation across the myelin).

Keep going. You are batting 1000 being wrong.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#155362 Feb 20, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Then you are going to have to give us the official physics and math definition of what "alive" is. Go for it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life#Definitions

Location hidden

#155363 Feb 20, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>

Contains a cell wall and can reproduce and evolve.
Quite simple really.

Location hidden

#155364 Feb 20, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
No, actually, it isn't.
<quoted text>
No, actually, it doesn't. It is closer to the ROM than the CPU. If anything, the ribosomes are closer to being the CPU. The ribosomes are what take the RNA and translate it into proteins. And it is the proteins that determine the 'routing' and 'connections', not the DNA. Plus, the DNA has to be translated into RNA before the RNA gets processed by the ribosomes.
<quoted text>
Wrong yet again. Perhaps you should learn a bit of biochemistry?
If there wasn't a polarity in the DNA, nothing would happen. Is that polarity caused by gravity, the nuclear forces, or virtual particles? Or EM? Chemistry is pretty much EM exchanges.

BTW, found this

"The genetic information stored in DNA is a living archive of instructions that cells use to accomplish the functions of life."

http://www.nature.com/scitable/topicpage/ribo...

IS DNA living?

Being "alive" is a system where energy can be directed counter to environmental forces, moving part or the whole assemblage. You stepping into the shade, or a plant growing matter to bend its leaves toward the sun.

Location hidden

#155365 Feb 20, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
Can't come up with something on your own? I thought you understood this stuff.

Now, give us the details on those vague thingies you just posted. The atomic physics involved.

You pass a lot of gas as knowledge. Where's the beef?

Location hidden

#155366 Feb 20, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
Buckethead and Yanni should hook up, they would put the sleeping pill business out of business! lmao!
From that and previous postings of your musical tastes it is apparent you need lots of noise to stimulate your brain to a conscious state. Seems to be little range for the more subtle songs.

Interesting.

And not at all surprising.

Location hidden

#155367 Feb 20, 2013

Location hidden

#155368 Feb 20, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
From that and previous postings of your musical tastes it is apparent you need lots of noise to stimulate your brain to a conscious state. Seems to be little range for the more subtle songs.
Interesting.
And not at all surprising.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 7 min Thinking 22,101
How much faith it takes to believe in Evolution. 1 hr Patrick 188
Atheism vs. Theism: Knowns and Unknowns 1 hr Patrick 42
Stump a theist with 2 questions 1 hr Patrick 18
Atheists forgetting the meaning of freedom 5 hr TheHeadlines 70
Atheism 101: What's the most aggravating argume... 7 hr Patrick n Angela 3
The Ultimate Evidence of God Mon sriKim 120
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••