Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258038 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#155227 Feb 20, 2013
CunningLinguist wrote:
<quoted text>
Your have utterly failed to comprehend your Bible.
The Bible is supposedly the guide to morality, inspired by a deity. Why is any of that awful stuff included in such a supposedly wonderful document? Why does anyone have to make excuses for the filth in it? The "context" argument does not hold.
One of the most conspicuous blind spots Christians display is regarding Jesus' "Sermon on the Mount." Snippets of it are cited repeatedly and even nonbelievers know some of them. That sermon begins in Matthew 5:3. Some of its better known "beatitudes" include: Verses 3 through 5 - "Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted. Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth." Also Verses 7 through 9 - "Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy. Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God. Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God."
What makes this so ironic is that a mere eight verses later, in the same "Sermon on the Mount" Jesus says this: "Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled. Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven." (Matthew 5:17-19) And again, "For had ye believed Moses, ye would have believed me: for he wrote of me. But if ye believe not his writings, how shall ye believe my words?" (John 5:46-47)
There you have it. Jesus is unambiguously talking about Old Testament Law. Not only that, but Jesus, the supposedly "gentle carpenter" from Galilee, as part of the Christian Triune God, participated in every single Old Testament atrocity.
And the OT Law he defended so strongly includes, among so many hundreds of other cruel and/or bizarre directives, the Law that non¬virginal brides must be murdered. And not just murdered, but "stoned," one of the most barbaric, cruel practices imaginable: "But if this thing be true, and the tokens of virginity be not found for the damsel: Then they shall bring out the damsel to the door of her father's house, and the men of her city shall stone her with stones that she die." (Deuteronomy 22:20,21)
Stonings take place to this day, in many Muslim countries, based on biblical directives.(Muslims, like Christians and Jews, consider themselves the "children of Abraham.") Remember, according to Jesus, not "one jot or one tittle" of the OT Law shall pass until the end of time. So, non-virginal brides should be stoned to death, today, tomorrow and forever.
Amnesty International has a poster that shows, to scale, the size of the stones to be used in a "proper" stoning. Imagine dying that way.. Then imagine a God who would order that people should die that way.
It's obvious you really didn't understand Matthew 5:17-19 very well....

Did ya catch the "for he wrote of me" part?

Why don't you do some more bible study classes then come back & see me.

Learn to read the Bible in an understandable version, understandable to you.

Also, learn to read the Bible observantly, like you would a detective or crime show...

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#155228 Feb 20, 2013
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
You say that like it is a bad thing! If you mean it to be, then you are as stupid as the come.
btw: Religion is not self-correcting and that is one of their major faults.
That's the neat thing about Christianity - it needs no correction.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#155229 Feb 20, 2013
scaritual wrote:
How about that theist motto?
"Be a Theist! You can worship anything you want, dragons, lizard mosquitoes on snow fire, it can be anything you imagine, after all, it's not like anyone can prove it doesn't exist.."
lol

Or that other atheist motto:

"Join us atheists! Don't believe in the absurdity of any deity! Just spend your whole life arguing about it!"

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#155230 Feb 20, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Unlike religion, which still wallows in the same mistakes as always. Science, by correcting its mistakes, learns about how the universe works and the same mistakes are not made a second time. So there is progress. It is never absolutely proven (no amount of observation can produce absolute proof of a general proposition), but the confidence can be quite high. And the error bars get smaller all the time.
Ah.... So you're quite "confident" that ToE & BBT are accurate?

huh...

You say confident, I say believe.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#155231 Feb 20, 2013
Darth Bob wrote:
<quoted text>
What documented eyewitness testimony is there in the Bible?
Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, Paul, Moses, Daniel, Jude, and all of the other Bible’s co-authors qualify as impeccably reliable eyewitnesses.

Many of the Bible’s writers suffered cruel treatment, even death, for their stand on their witness.

Their testimony was so true that it was worth suffering and dying for, that gives them obvious credibility of their writings.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#155232 Feb 20, 2013
Mylan wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah, they just don't like going to church. LOL...
So what. You don't need to go to church to accept Jesus.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#155233 Feb 20, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Shhhh halfwit you are humiliating yourself again.
<quoted text>
Is this your version of a rebuttal?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#155234 Feb 20, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
A bad deck of cards?
No.
I've never heard that.
Until now.
But it's obvious YOU'RE not playing with a full deck.
If I was a moronic literal atheist (givemeliberty) I'd probably tell you that you're daffy because brains don't have cards in them.....

Since: Mar 11

Scottsburg, IN

#155235 Feb 20, 2013
We know more about your fairy tale collection known as the bible than you do. By far.

Why do you idiots take the bible seriously?
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
It's obvious you really didn't understand Matthew 5:17-19 very well....
Did ya catch the "for he wrote of me" part?
Why don't you do some more bible study classes then come back & see me.
Learn to read the Bible in an understandable version, understandable to you.
Also, learn to read the Bible observantly, like you would a detective or crime show...

Scottsburg, IN

#155236 Feb 20, 2013
Gotten any checkmates lately because you were holding a great hand?

Why should anyone take the bible seriously?

Hey tell us again how Catholics don't believe in Jesus and how historians are not scholars!
Lmfao!
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Is this your version of a rebuttal?

Since: Sep 08

La Veta, CO

#155237 Feb 20, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, the overall pattern is genetic. The specifics are determined by diffusion of the growth chemicals that neurons follow. There are several stages where connections are severed if they have not been used sufficiently. So no, there is NOT predefined code: at first it is all hardware, but that hardware changes over time.
Every form of like we know starts as a seed in some fashion. DNA is a bootstrap program, DNA is "alive" as it has energy coursing though it. This see then can be triggered into growth.

In plants these seeds are assembled as chemicals in packets exposed to the elements. They have a life span of their own. They can dry out or interact with the environment in a fashion where their growth can not occur.

In animals these seeds are protected within the body of the parent. Egg bearing gets the warmth for the chemicals and programming to occur. Live bearing gets the warmth and nutrients, and is even subject to changes of its host occurring after it's growth began.

There is a force that is constant and passed on in all of those processes. Show me where DNA that has not been maintained in some sort of nutrient environment, the basic raw chemicals, has been used to activate life. Show me where plants have been grown from dead seeds, and how the seeds were "rejuvenated".

The living active creature can modify it's blueprint, its seed. The purely reactive chemical processes can not do that. However, those things are done on a very low awareness level of the creature. They are not "conscious" acts.

You are stretching chance and randomness beyond their limits asserting life is strictly a chemical process. It is a combination of chemicals and programming, and with that programming is a desire to continue existing. To keep watching this movie unfold.

There is nothing to prove that "thought", or "spirit", did not create or assemble the chemicals needed to exist in this manifestation.

Man, for one, is well known for exploiting what is available to survive. Plus, he has developed the ability to even manufacture some of that. Your view would like to believe he just appeared magically out of total chaos, becoming a deity on his own able to do those things, when the truth may be he is just a chip off the old block.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#155238 Feb 20, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, Paul, Moses, Daniel, Jude, and all of the other Bible’s co-authors qualify as impeccably reliable eyewitnesses.
Many of the Bible’s writers suffered cruel treatment, even death, for their stand on their witness.
Their testimony was so true that it was worth suffering and dying for, that gives them obvious credibility of their writings.
None of the Gospels have known authors; they're anonymous. Assigning them to Matt, Mark, Luke, and John is simply church tradition. Jude is likely pseudepigraphical.

Moses didn't write squat.

The Book of Daniel wasn't even written by Daniel.

Scottsburg, IN

#155239 Feb 20, 2013
So show the secular proof these so called people existed. Anytime now.... Any day now..... Any year now.... Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Hmmm did you find proof? No? No of course not. Go back to playing chess with a deck of cards retard!

Lol but thanks for coming on here for our amusement. You have no chance of proving us wrong but thanks for dancing puppet :)
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>

Scottsburg, IN

#155240 Feb 20, 2013
So Jesus brought about the end of the world before those children sitting at his feet grew old and died?

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahaha!
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
That's the neat thing about Christianity - it needs no correction.
Thinking

Ilminster, UK

#155241 Feb 20, 2013
It's a mistake to equate human DNA with a unique sequence of 3.2 billion 4 sided dice throws.

Evolution allows for a much quicker process than that.
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Every form of like we know starts as a seed in some fashion. DNA is a bootstrap program, DNA is "alive" as it has energy coursing though it. This see then can be triggered into growth.
In plants these seeds are assembled as chemicals in packets exposed to the elements. They have a life span of their own. They can dry out or interact with the environment in a fashion where their growth can not occur.
In animals these seeds are protected within the body of the parent. Egg bearing gets the warmth for the chemicals and programming to occur. Live bearing gets the warmth and nutrients, and is even subject to changes of its host occurring after it's growth began.
There is a force that is constant and passed on in all of those processes. Show me where DNA that has not been maintained in some sort of nutrient environment, the basic raw chemicals, has been used to activate life. Show me where plants have been grown from dead seeds, and how the seeds were "rejuvenated".
The living active creature can modify it's blueprint, its seed. The purely reactive chemical processes can not do that. However, those things are done on a very low awareness level of the creature. They are not "conscious" acts.
You are stretching chance and randomness beyond their limits asserting life is strictly a chemical process. It is a combination of chemicals and programming, and with that programming is a desire to continue existing. To keep watching this movie unfold.
There is nothing to prove that "thought", or "spirit", did not create or assemble the chemicals needed to exist in this manifestation.
Man, for one, is well known for exploiting what is available to survive. Plus, he has developed the ability to even manufacture some of that. Your view would like to believe he just appeared magically out of total chaos, becoming a deity on his own able to do those things, when the truth may be he is just a chip off the old block.

Since: Sep 08

La Veta, CO

#155242 Feb 20, 2013
Thinking wrote:
It's a mistake to equate human DNA with a unique sequence of 3.2 billion 4 sided dice throws.
Evolution allows for a much quicker process than that.
<quoted text>
Evolution is a derivative of that first lucky 3.2 billion 4 sided dice throw. Without that dice toss, there would be no evolution.

But that begs the question.

What tossed the dice?

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#155243 Feb 20, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Daffy here you clearly stated mouth to mouth yet your scripture was breath to nostril. Do you know the difference between a mouth and nose?
Wow just wow.
<quoted text>
The reported instance of Adam's first breath predates the American Heart Association guidlines for CPR.

You go to a lot of trouble to make no point.
Thinking

Ilminster, UK

#155244 Feb 20, 2013
No it's not. DNA did not start with humans.
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Evolution is a derivative of that first lucky 3.2 billion 4 sided dice throw.

Location hidden

#155245 Feb 20, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
"Mouth to nose" would never work for CPR. Also you are making excuses for your abiogenesis myth, it doesn't say CPR and it talks about two unproven things.
Infant CPR involves mouth-to-nose.

Have you informed AHA that it never works?

Location hidden

#155246 Feb 20, 2013
madscot wrote:
<quoted text>

... I've performed open heart massage.
And open hard-on massage.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 1 hr scientia potentia... 48,358
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 15 hr Eagle 12 21,858
News The war on Christmas (Dec '10) 22 hr Mikko 4,905
Why you need to make sure you are saved before ... Wed Eagle 12 13
Jesus Christ and Wisdom, Knowledge, Understandi... Tue Richardfs 5
News Delta Schools Will Get Satanic Coloring Books o... (Apr '16) Nov 29 Amused 7
News Atheism vs. Theism: Knowns and Unknowns (Sep '14) Nov 28 hpcaban 441
More from around the web