Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#154987 Feb 18, 2013
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know whats worse ,an intelligent guy like you telling all those lies ,or just the total amount of denial in that post.
The activation of life if you will comes from the light from the sun driving photosynthesis?
Atoms and the way they interact with light are enough activation!
Neo wake up! this is Morpheous, you are in the matrix ! come out of the rabbit hole back to reality.
Perhaps you can send that theory into the Scientific American, I'm sure thay have a comic strip in the back.
I love how Polymath spends so much time explaining things to you and all you can do to refute is this?
Imhotep

United States

#154988 Feb 18, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
That story is about incest & drunkedness and how to protect yourself against it happening to you.
It's strange that our society today has become much like the ancient society of Sodom...
<quoted text>
Matthew 25:1-13. Nowhere in that parable does it say the groom is marrying those 10 virgins. They are likely bridesmaids.
In fact, it doesn't even mention who the bride & groom are....
The parable is about preparedness, specifically regarding the 2nd coming of Jesus.
<quoted text>
Too bad for you that your atheistic ego is in your way, you can't seem to learn.
Too bad you must make excuses for the inexcusable. Regrettable.

Into what context do you excuse incest, child murder, rape and slavery?

We can discuss the talking animals and reptiles later while babbling in the Tower of err... Towering in the babble... of organized superstition aka religion.

Other non believers may select a more rigorous mental workout - I credit this daily infusion of Christian nonsense with extending my lifespan and providing a good laugh.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#154989 Feb 18, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
"You never see animals going through the absurd and often horrible fooleries of magic and religion. Only man behaves with such gratuitous folly. It is the price he has to pay for being intelligent but not, as yet, intelligent enough." ~Aldous Huxley
We had a workshop out in the back yard with a flat tin roof when I was growing up. One night the dog barked and wanted out the back. I opened the door and let him loose and turned on the light. On top of the tin roof was 8 to ten cats just sitting. A couple or three more on a rubber tree branch overhanging one corner of the roof, and a couple or three more on a step ladder and other high things about that building. They were having a meeting.

I walked out there and looked up at them and they just looked back at me, and my German Shepard. I told them to leave. They didn't. They just looked down at me and at each other. I looked down at my dog and he was just looking kind of bumfuzzled. He had stopped barking after I let him loose. So I said, Hokay, and me and the dog went back into the house and they went back to their business.

Animals can get strange every so often.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#154990 Feb 18, 2013
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
Perhaps you've heard of sciences objection to the goo, Biogenesis, do a wikipedia on it .After that do a little study and find out how many exceptions to this law have been observed.
Since the theories beginnings are wrong , it's conclusions can't be right,...well, only to the faithful.
I see nothing since 1864. Now you look up Abiogenesis. Science is self-correcting.
bohart

Newport, TN

#154991 Feb 18, 2013
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
I love how Polymath spends so much time explaining things to you and all you can do to refute is this?
perhaps you can take up his flag and explain how light activated the first atoms to cause life?
Imhotep

United States

#154992 Feb 18, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
In order to have a checkmate, you must have a winning hand.
IOW - put up or shut up.
We do have the wining hand.

Do you not read? Living in a cocoon?

Is religion losing its grip on the educated?
Are attendance numbers dropping?
If course it is... And yes they are.

It's in the numbers and they don't add like 1+1+1=1.

http://www.adherents.com/Religions_By_Adheren...

Christianity: 2.1 billion
Islam: 1.5 billion
Secular/Nonreligious/Agnostic/ Atheist: 1.1 billion
Hinduism: 900 million
Chinese traditional religion: 394 million
Buddhism: 376 million
primal-indigenous: 300 million
African Traditional & Diasporic: 100 million
Sikhism: 23 million
Juche: 19 million
Spiritism: 15 million
Judaism: 14 million
Baha'i: 7 million
Jainism: 4.2 million

“Reason and faith are opposites, two mutually exclusive terms: there is no reconciliation or common ground. Faith is belief without, or in spite of, reason.”~George H. Smith

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#154993 Feb 18, 2013
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
perhaps you can take up his flag and explain how light activated the first atoms to cause life?
How many ways can I say, "We {including you} don't know."?

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#154994 Feb 18, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Abiogenesis is just a technical term for spontaneous generation.
Evolution, or The Theory Of, is hinged on spontaneous generation.
Without it, Darwin's version of evolution has nothing.
Wrong. The evidence that species change over geological time (i.e, evolution) is not dependent on abiogenesis. Even *if* life were started by the intervention of a deity, the evidence for evolution is still solid and shows that species do, in fact, change over time. It also shows the relatedness of all life on earth.
bohart

Newport, TN

#154995 Feb 18, 2013
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
I see nothing since 1864. Now you look up Abiogenesis. Science is self-correcting.
Oh I've seen the abiogenesis theory, its never even come close to being proved.....while biogenesis has never been proven wrong!
Funny? how is a guy like you on the wrong side of observable science here, and the creationist has the scientific evidence behind me?

Obviously you are just a liar for the evos.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#154996 Feb 18, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
In order to have a checkmate, you must have a winning hand.
Hahaha, RR.

Think about what you wrote.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#154997 Feb 18, 2013
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
perhaps you can take up his flag and explain how light activated the first atoms to cause life?
Light activates chemical compounds by increasing the energy of the electrons in those compounds. This increases their reactivity. Once again, we don't know the specifics, but we do know a lot more than you seem to think. Are you really unaware that sunlight is what 'activates' life *today*?

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#154998 Feb 18, 2013
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know whats worse ,an intelligent guy like you telling all those lies ,or just the total amount of denial in that post.
The activation of life if you will comes from the light from the sun driving photosynthesis?
Atoms and the way they interact with light are enough activation!
Neo wake up! this is Morpheous, you are in the matrix ! come out of the rabbit hole back to reality.
Perhaps you can send that theory into the Scientific American, I'm sure thay have a comic strip in the back.
It is already very well known. Perhaps you would know it also if you knew a bit of science.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#154999 Feb 18, 2013
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh I've seen the abiogenesis theory, its never even come close to being proved.....while biogenesis has never been proven wrong!
Funny? how is a guy like you on the wrong side of observable science here, and the creationist has the scientific evidence behind me?
Obviously you are just a liar for the evos.
What science do you have supporting your views? Please don't say "creationist science"!

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#155000 Feb 18, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
It is already very well known. Perhaps you would know it also if you knew a bit of science.
Dude, he does! He knows "creationist science"!

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#155001 Feb 18, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Light activates chemical compounds by increasing the energy of the electrons in those compounds. This increases their reactivity. Once again, we don't know the specifics, but we do know a lot more than you seem to think. Are you really unaware that sunlight is what 'activates' life *today*?
Light maintains and adds to a life energy flow that was already started. Why they have seeds for beginnings of all life.

Those flows have to be directed in particular channels to become "life". Not only for the emergence of that life, but also for its replicating itself. Pretty fancy footwork for just chemicals that have been laying around.

If it did it then, it would do it now. It hasn't, even with help from us.
bohart

Newport, TN

#155002 Feb 18, 2013
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
What science do you have supporting your views? Please don't say "creationist science"!
If biogenesis has been proven wrong just once all eat the keyboard. Again why does observable testable repeatable science not support abiogenesis?

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#155003 Feb 18, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Light maintains and adds to a life energy flow that was already started. Why they have seeds for beginnings of all life.
Those flows have to be directed in particular channels to become "life". Not only for the emergence of that life, but also for its replicating itself. Pretty fancy footwork for just chemicals that have been laying around.
If it did it then, it would do it now. It hasn't, even with help from us.
I find it interesting that anyone would stop trying to learn. Goddidit, so I don't need to look any further.

I wonder how long believers have been that way. Lucky for us, some very smart people were either non-believers or not satisfied with goddidit.

Why not just sit back and let the science community play? They have discovered many things that the gods did not tell us about.

We have billions upon billions of planets that have not been explored. Let science try to reach them and see what is going on there.

If there is no life, believers will jump up and down screaming we told you!

If there is life, believers will jump up and down screaming, well god never said that this was the only planet that he put life!

If ET visits us, he will be far superior to us, will you far to his feet and call him god?

bohart

Newport, TN

#155004 Feb 18, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Light activates chemical compounds by increasing the energy of the electrons in those compounds. This increases their reactivity. Once again, we don't know the specifics, but we do know a lot more than you seem to think. Are you really unaware that sunlight is what 'activates' life *today*?
You are like a drowning man who will clutch and grab at anything to keep from going under. Biogenesis has never been proven wrong and abiogenesis has never been proven right.

You are on the wrong side of the scientific river boy.
bohart

Newport, TN

#155005 Feb 18, 2013
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
I find it interesting that anyone would stop trying to learn. Goddidit, so I don't need to look any further.
I wonder how long believers have been that way. Lucky for us, some very smart people were either non-believers or not satisfied with goddidit.
Why not just sit back and let the science community play? They have discovered many things that the gods did not tell us about.
We have billions upon billions of planets that have not been explored. Let science try to reach them and see what is going on there.
If there is no life, believers will jump up and down screaming we told you!
If there is life, believers will jump up and down screaming, well god never said that this was the only planet that he put life!
If ET visits us, he will be far superior to us, will you far to his feet and call him god?
Was that intended as a rebuttal of how life began arguement? If so you left all the substance out

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#155006 Feb 18, 2013
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
If biogenesis has been proven wrong just once all eat the keyboard. Again why does observable testable repeatable science not support abiogenesis?
God of the gaps.

There is support for the hypotheses.

People used to believe that maggots spontaneously came into being from rotting meat or some other such nonliving substance. Louis Pasteur proved that was wrong.

But Abiogenesis would have happened, if it happened, in an entirely different environment than what we have now. You will agree that we know a lot more about the early Earth then they did back in the 1700's, right?

So, what you are doing, not very cleverly, is using the 1700's science to prove that we don't have a clue today. Jump up to the 21st Century! Look at what is going on in science today.

Get out of the gaps and look at what science has done sans god.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 7 min Eagle 12 2,405
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 4 hr _Bad Company 23,198
Islam is the Enemy (Sep '12) 8 hr Pahu 33
God' existence 8 hr Carchar king 63
A New Kinder, Gentler Atheism 8 hr Carchar king 138
Yes, atheists can be fundamentalists 15 hr Crazy Mess 1
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) Thu thetruth 1,442
More from around the web