Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Comments (Page 7,447)

Showing posts 148,921 - 148,940 of216,329
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2013

TheBlackSheep wrote:
BibleGateway.com: A searchable online Bible in over 100 versions ...
Pick the one that suits your sect!
Over 100 versions of god's word? Shouldn't that give some of you a clue that something just isn't right?
In reference to the number of interpretations to the bible. It is a free market and groups have tried the maximize the number of sells. If they make a new version then perhaps people will by it and bring profits up. Kind of like a new model change every other year for the Chevrolet.

In 2006, there were approximately 45,000 different types of wine being produced in the world. Recently that number was increased to 75,000. But all these wines have something in common, fermentation and alcohol.

The King James Version is probably the least altered version in history. The Amplified is a good version that makes it more simple to understand. We have little control over the free market of the number one seller of all times.

http://mykitchenpot.com/wine-tip-10-how-many-...

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2013

The power of prayers. You hear from the Topix atheists mocking that a lot.

Let me tell you about a time in our history. It was a time where the only real translation of theoretical physics was turned into technology.

Scientists created nifty things that could turn millions into toast in seconds. If you were a child of the 50's and early 60's you know what I am talking about.

Every night millions of little children and their parents prayed they wouldn't be toast come breakfast time, especially in this country.

The scientists? They lived the good life designing bigger and better toasters, and ways to deliver them. They had no way to protect against them, or to undo the lasting effects they would produce.

They certainly weren't the reason we survived that time.

Fifty years ago last November the efforts and contributions of those scientists to humankind almost bore fruit.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2013

Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
In reference to the number of interpretations to the bible. It is a free market and groups have tried the maximize the number of sells. If they make a new version then perhaps people will by it and bring profits up. Kind of like a new model change every other year for the Chevrolet.
In 2006, there were approximately 45,000 different types of wine being produced in the world. Recently that number was increased to 75,000. But all these wines have something in common, fermentation and alcohol.
The King James Version is probably the least altered version in history. The Amplified is a good version that makes it more simple to understand. We have little control over the free market of the number one seller of all times.
http://mykitchenpot.com/wine-tip-10-how-many-...
Well, at least five other sites/people plagiarized the wine bit, so I guess you are alright.

WAG2 was just saying something about how stupid some people are that they can only copy from others.

WAG2 you need to talk to WAG1!
bohart

Morristown, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2013

TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
Which part are you calling an opinion?
We do not know the mechanism.
NONE of the atoms in your body is alive.
None of the basic components from which you are made is alive.
An oxygen atom or a hydrogen atom are 'dead, lifeless, sterile material'.
The same can be said for every other chemical element, but you are completely made from such elements.
In other words, YOU, a living thing, are made from dead, lifeless, sterile materials.
You really should think about this point.
Everything alive is made from atoms and those are all, according to your language, dead, lifeless sterial materials.
The point is that chemical elements are NOT sterile in the sense that they interact with other chemical elements in complex and interesting ways.
And it is in the variety of those interactions that we get life.
There is no 'life substance' that is added to 'dead lifeless atoms' to obtain life.
Which statement are you having trouble with?
You said, you a living thing are made..
everything alive is made ...

See we can agree ,..we are made.

You admit to not knowing the mechanism , then contradict that at the end by saying , no life substance is added to dead lifeless atoms to obtain life.

Everything is made of matter, something IS REQUIRED to activate that matter to life, and its not part of the matter.Its beyond science and telling the same old lies will not change it.The absolute best science can say is we don't know, to say as you do that nothing else is required is a personal opinion backed by nothing but your belief.

The testable hypotheses with repeatable results states life only comes from existing life.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2013

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
That is assumed distance, and thus assumed time.
Your measurements of them are based upon assumptions made here.
So refute what you will.
Do you object to the figures in distance or time?
Or do you just object, for lack of anything better to do?
bohart

Morristown, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2013

Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
There was no opinion in Poly's post.
That's all verified fact.
Deal with it.
look up testable and repeatable , you don't know what that means do you.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2013

Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> So refute what you will.
Do you object to the figures in distance or time?
Or do you just object, for lack of anything better to do?
I object to them being used as absolutes on a universal scale. As I have pointed out a few times, matter in this gravity well will be assembled different in other wells. The force will affect charge and distribution and observation. If it wasn't so, then there would not be fusion and fission.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2013

TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, at least five other sites/people plagiarized the wine bit, so I guess you are alright.
WAG2 was just saying something about how stupid some people are that they can only copy from others.
WAG2 you need to talk to WAG1!
I really think you have what it takes to be a stand up comic. With your talent you should make lots of money. I mean really, why havenít you been signed up with someone for a contract.

I could see you entertaining thousands in Las Vegas with your own show. Why havenít you tried out in some of the comedy shops in Pittsburgh?

Man, you need to put that talent to work. I mean I just canít hardly stop laughing your so damn good. Does it come natural to you or do you have to work at it?

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2013

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
I object to them being used as absolutes on a universal scale. As I have pointed out a few times, matter in this gravity well will be assembled different in other wells. The force will affect charge and distribution and observation. If it wasn't so, then there would not be fusion and fission.
Nothing is ever absolute , except in horseshoes and hand grenades.
bohart

Morristown, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2013

polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
I doubt such an experiment would be run for ethical reasons.
Define ethical?

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2013

Dave Nelson wrote:
Number based reality versus reality.
You have a car with an EPA 30mpg. You drive it for months and keep scrupulous records and work out your own average. It turns out to be 28.34488865996 mpg.
Cool. You have something to bank on there.
One day you get up and realize you forgot to fill the tank on the car. You cruised home on fumes and didn't realize it. Maybe you were pre-occupied thinking about how many billions of years it takes for matter to collide and make organic life, and considerably less to make such a genius as yourself for understanding that.
Anyhow, you are out of gas. The nearest gas station is 27 miles away. But you are in luck. You have exactly one gallon of gas left in the lawn mower gas can. So you very carefully pour it in, making sure it all goes into the tank.
You grab your wallet, jump in, fire that puppy up and head for the gas station, being careful on acceleration.
Hopefully you remembered to put the gas can in the back, because you will walk that last little ways.
Unless a truck comes out of nowhere, passes you, and you can slipstream it.
Got the hot tub working, huh?

You may want to turn the heat down.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2013

Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
In reference to the number of interpretations to the bible.
OMG, dude, OMG.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2013

Siro wrote:
So the atheists say that life came about because atoms somehow got together at random to form self repeating patterns uniformly at a random basis?
Nope. Atheists say that they have no belief in deities.

Beyond that, they can say anything else they want.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2013

River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Got the hot tub working, huh?
You may want to turn the heat down.
Haven't turned it on yet. Was hoping you would stop by and help me heat it up. You can bring your friend.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2013

Just to make sure that we have things straight. You told polymath257 that he was only giving his opinion. I took polymath257's post and split it out into individual sentences, so that you could point out polymath257's opinion.

I am sure that polymath257 can not only speak for himself, but he can also do it much better than I can.
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
You said, you a living thing are made..
everything alive is made ...
See we can agree ,..we are made.
Don't you feel, at least, a bit stupid? You have to break apart sentences to try to pull the wool over someone's eye. You really should feel stupid, but I would have to be that you feel quite pleased with yourself.
bohart wrote:
You admit to not knowing the mechanism , then contradict that at the end by saying , no life substance is added to dead lifeless atoms to obtain life.
Do you mean, like god breathing life into our nostrils? What substance is added? The God Substance?
bohart wrote:
Everything is made of matter, something IS REQUIRED to activate that matter to life, and its not part of the matter.
I like to think that I am open minded; what is this substance? Don't tell me what you believe or what you were taught, tell me what it is and how we can study it.

The one thing that you cannot or will not get through your head is: I don't care if there is a god or not. Until I can plug him into an equation, it doesn't matter. I am not talking about a completely unknown, incalculable, ever changing variable.
bohart wrote:
Its beyond science and telling the same old lies will not change it.
What lies? Science does not care if there is a god or not. They only want to get to the truth. If one or a group of scientists go off track, there are a 100,000 scientists who are trying to discredit or confirm their findings. Hence that is why science is self-correcting.
bohart wrote:
The absolute best science can say is we don't know, to say as you do that nothing else is required is a personal opinion backed by nothing but your belief.
The testable hypotheses with repeatable results states life only comes from existing life.
You are playing the god of the gaps, again. Go back 60 years and damn few scientists thought that we would have home computers, let alone dozens of them.

150 years ago, who thought that it was possible to fly?

300 years ago, appendicitis was a death sentence.

Get out of the gaps!

“Today we pray”

Since: Jul 12

"tomorrow we win"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2013

TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL! 44 of them are in English!
Ok.

There are different versions of English, man.
Imhotep

Fort White, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Silly atheist....
It's in different versions for different languages....
Silly True Believerô

Thou hast been deceived by thine own lies. ;)

Protestant Bible:
It includes an Old Testament with 17 historical books, five books of poetry and 17 books of prophecy. Its New Testament includes the four gospels, Acts, the 21 letters and the book of Revelation. The Protestant Bible has a total of 66 books.

Catholic Bible:
The Catholic Bible includes 73 books, seven more than the Protestant Bible, and includes Greek additions to the books of Daniel and Esther. The additional books, which the Council of Trent approved, include Tobit, Judith, Baruch, Sirach, Wisdom of Solomon and First and Second Maccabees.

Jewish Bible:
Aka the Torah, this collection of Holy scripture includes the five books of Moses, eight books of prophecy and the 11 books of writing, which include books of poetry such as Psalms, Proverbs and Song of Songs.

Anglican Bible:
This Bible accepts the New Testament in conjunction with the books of the Jewish Bible of the Old Testament. It excludes the additional 15 books of the Old testament found in the Protestant Bible.

Greek Orthodox Bible:
This Bible is the largest of any Bible in print today, including the most books of scripture. In addition to the Catholic Bible, Orthodox Christians read First Esdras, the Prayer of Manasseh, Third and Fourth Macabees and Psalm 151.

Honorable mention:
The Quran
The Book of Mormon
bohart

Morristown, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2013

TheBlackSheep wrote:
Just to make sure that we have things straight. You told polymath257 that he was only giving his opinion. I took polymath257's post and split it out into individual sentences, so that you could point out polymath257's opinion.
I am sure that polymath257 can not only speak for himself, but he can also do it much better than I can.
<quoted text>
Don't you feel, at least, a bit stupid? You have to break apart sentences to try to pull the wool over someone's eye. You really should feel stupid, but I would have to be that you feel quite pleased with yourself.
<quoted text>
Do you mean, like god breathing life into our nostrils? What substance is added? The God Substance?
<quoted text>
I like to think that I am open minded; what is this substance? Don't tell me what you believe or what you were taught, tell me what it is and how we can study it.
The one thing that you cannot or will not get through your head is: I don't care if there is a god or not. Until I can plug him into an equation, it doesn't matter. I am not talking about a completely unknown, incalculable, ever changing variable.
<quoted text>
What lies? Science does not care if there is a god or not. They only want to get to the truth. If one or a group of scientists go off track, there are a 100,000 scientists who are trying to discredit or confirm their findings. Hence that is why science is self-correcting.
<quoted text>
You are playing the god of the gaps, again. Go back 60 years and damn few scientists thought that we would have home computers, let alone dozens of them.
150 years ago, who thought that it was possible to fly?
300 years ago, appendicitis was a death sentence.
Get out of the gaps!
God substance? that sounds good!,it sure beats the hell out of the life coming from the goo.
I'm sorry I don't think you could plug God into an equation.
What lies? that life is a simple collection of chemicals in their proper proportions, that lie, supported by no evidence what so ever.

Great comedy!
throwing home computers, flight and appendicitus in to support your beliefs,ha,ha.You left out the ole puddle gooist stand by, gravity,ha,ha.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2013

bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
Define ethical?
I certainly don't mean to speak for polymath257, but

eth∑i∑cal
1. Of or relating to moral principles or the branch of knowledge dealing with these.
2. Morally correct.

Now you will want to know where we get our moral values from.

It is very simple. Just sit back and think about this.

Picture this: A man, it could be a women, doesn't matter, and his family comes into a valley where no other human has been. This man is very protective of his family and doesn't ever want to see them hurt.

Another man, could be a women, it doesn't matter, and his walk in from the other direction. He too does not want to see any of his family members hurt.

They meet for the first time; they realize very quickly that if there is a fight, their families maybe wiped out, so they talk!

Hi, my name is Fred.

Hi, my name is Barney.

There is plenty of land here for both families.

I agree. What are the rules that we should live by?

Well, the first rule should be, "Don't kill one another!"

Makes sense! We want to live, not dying plays very well into that.

Agreed. Next rule. Don't steal my cattle!

Agreed. You don't steal my corn.

Agreed. When do you allow your daughters to marry?

Well, we allow ours at 16. We will make it 17, with parents' consent.

Agreed.

You see how this is going? No god required.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2013

bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
God substance? that sounds good!,it sure beats the hell out of the life coming from the goo.
I'm sorry I don't think you could plug God into an equation.
That is why god is not part of science. Goddidit is not an answer, it is either a cop out or something that must be proven.
bohart wrote:
What lies? that life is a simple collection of chemicals in their proper proportions, that lie, supported by no evidence what so ever.
No evidence? Are you sure? I will use one of your arguments. Billions of people believe that we came about through evolution. Billions believe that the fossil record and DNA fully support that belief. Christians, Muslims, Jews, and Atheists! Billions of them believe the evidence for evolution.

Now back to science. I cannot force you to view, research or accept the vast amount of evidence that is out there, so I won't bother trying.
bohart wrote:
Great comedy!
throwing home computers, flight and appendicitus in to support your beliefs,ha,ha.You left out the ole puddle gooist stand by, gravity,ha,ha.
Again, why don't we start at a point where we know what happened? Why jump all the way back to a place where no knows, yet.

Well, you jump there because that is where you can still claim that your god was involved. You are playing the gaps. You have to play the gaps, because that is the only place that your god can live.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 148,921 - 148,940 of216,329
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••