Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#154925 Feb 18, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
So how did it form, if the physical laws were not there to form it with?
Your beliefs make no sense.
We are talking about the very early universe, before 500,000 years.
But the physical laws existed since minutes after the fact.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#154926 Feb 18, 2013
TheBlackSheep wrote:
BibleGateway.com: A searchable online Bible in over 100 versions ...
Pick the one that suits your sect!
Over 100 versions of god's word? Shouldn't that give some of you a clue that something just isn't right?
Silly atheist....

It's in different versions for different languages....

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#154927 Feb 18, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
I have to confess I get a little peeved about your elitist "understanding math" routine.
I understand math very well. I do billions of calculations every second. As does 7 billion other people. Why we can drive to the gas station. It is built into us.
What is not built into us is the formalized training and indoctrination in a particular form dictated by someone long ago that you suffer from.
Have you noticed my tendency to couch physics in terms relating to motion and polarity? That is because they are the underpinnings of our physical existence. Not numbers. Numbers can be used to quantify some of their aspects, but they don't guide them, and even less so created them.
SMACK!!!!
Good God, man!! Snap out of it, you have been hypnotized!!
Shhh! dave is talking to himself!

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

#154928 Feb 18, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Silly atheist....
It's in different versions for different languages....
LOL! 44 of them are in English!

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#154929 Feb 18, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> Peering far back in distance, is seeing far back in time.
That is assumed distance, and thus assumed time.

Your measurements of them are based upon assumptions made here.

Location hidden

#154930 Feb 18, 2013
There is no difference between the divination systems of the Kabbalah, I Ching, astrology, various and sundry other systems based upon math, and modern physics.

They are all sects of the same core belief system. Numbers don't lie and determine your fate.

Modern physics just says it is the true one. The rest are infidels and pagans. They are old and archaic, not bright, shiny, and new like theirs. BTW, there are some Islamists that say the same newness makes theirs the correct one.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#154933 Feb 18, 2013
TheBlackSheep wrote:
BibleGateway.com: A searchable online Bible in over 100 versions ...
Pick the one that suits your sect!
Over 100 versions of god's word? Shouldn't that give some of you a clue that something just isn't right?
In reference to the number of interpretations to the bible. It is a free market and groups have tried the maximize the number of sells. If they make a new version then perhaps people will by it and bring profits up. Kind of like a new model change every other year for the Chevrolet.

In 2006, there were approximately 45,000 different types of wine being produced in the world. Recently that number was increased to 75,000. But all these wines have something in common, fermentation and alcohol.

The King James Version is probably the least altered version in history. The Amplified is a good version that makes it more simple to understand. We have little control over the free market of the number one seller of all times.

http://mykitchenpot.com/wine-tip-10-how-many-...

Location hidden

#154934 Feb 18, 2013
The power of prayers. You hear from the Topix atheists mocking that a lot.

Let me tell you about a time in our history. It was a time where the only real translation of theoretical physics was turned into technology.

Scientists created nifty things that could turn millions into toast in seconds. If you were a child of the 50's and early 60's you know what I am talking about.

Every night millions of little children and their parents prayed they wouldn't be toast come breakfast time, especially in this country.

The scientists? They lived the good life designing bigger and better toasters, and ways to deliver them. They had no way to protect against them, or to undo the lasting effects they would produce.

They certainly weren't the reason we survived that time.

Fifty years ago last November the efforts and contributions of those scientists to humankind almost bore fruit.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

#154935 Feb 18, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
In reference to the number of interpretations to the bible. It is a free market and groups have tried the maximize the number of sells. If they make a new version then perhaps people will by it and bring profits up. Kind of like a new model change every other year for the Chevrolet.
In 2006, there were approximately 45,000 different types of wine being produced in the world. Recently that number was increased to 75,000. But all these wines have something in common, fermentation and alcohol.
The King James Version is probably the least altered version in history. The Amplified is a good version that makes it more simple to understand. We have little control over the free market of the number one seller of all times.
http://mykitchenpot.com/wine-tip-10-how-many-...
Well, at least five other sites/people plagiarized the wine bit, so I guess you are alright.

WAG2 was just saying something about how stupid some people are that they can only copy from others.

WAG2 you need to talk to WAG1!
bohart

Newport, TN

#154936 Feb 18, 2013
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
Which part are you calling an opinion?
We do not know the mechanism.
NONE of the atoms in your body is alive.
None of the basic components from which you are made is alive.
An oxygen atom or a hydrogen atom are 'dead, lifeless, sterile material'.
The same can be said for every other chemical element, but you are completely made from such elements.
In other words, YOU, a living thing, are made from dead, lifeless, sterile materials.
You really should think about this point.
Everything alive is made from atoms and those are all, according to your language, dead, lifeless sterial materials.
The point is that chemical elements are NOT sterile in the sense that they interact with other chemical elements in complex and interesting ways.
And it is in the variety of those interactions that we get life.
There is no 'life substance' that is added to 'dead lifeless atoms' to obtain life.
Which statement are you having trouble with?
You said, you a living thing are made..
everything alive is made ...

See we can agree ,..we are made.

You admit to not knowing the mechanism , then contradict that at the end by saying , no life substance is added to dead lifeless atoms to obtain life.

Everything is made of matter, something IS REQUIRED to activate that matter to life, and its not part of the matter.Its beyond science and telling the same old lies will not change it.The absolute best science can say is we don't know, to say as you do that nothing else is required is a personal opinion backed by nothing but your belief.

The testable hypotheses with repeatable results states life only comes from existing life.

Location hidden

#154937 Feb 18, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
That is assumed distance, and thus assumed time.
Your measurements of them are based upon assumptions made here.
So refute what you will.
Do you object to the figures in distance or time?
Or do you just object, for lack of anything better to do?
bohart

Newport, TN

#154938 Feb 18, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
There was no opinion in Poly's post.
That's all verified fact.
Deal with it.
look up testable and repeatable , you don't know what that means do you.

Location hidden

#154939 Feb 18, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> So refute what you will.
Do you object to the figures in distance or time?
Or do you just object, for lack of anything better to do?
I object to them being used as absolutes on a universal scale. As I have pointed out a few times, matter in this gravity well will be assembled different in other wells. The force will affect charge and distribution and observation. If it wasn't so, then there would not be fusion and fission.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#154940 Feb 18, 2013
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, at least five other sites/people plagiarized the wine bit, so I guess you are alright.
WAG2 was just saying something about how stupid some people are that they can only copy from others.
WAG2 you need to talk to WAG1!
I really think you have what it takes to be a stand up comic. With your talent you should make lots of money. I mean really, why havenít you been signed up with someone for a contract.

I could see you entertaining thousands in Las Vegas with your own show. Why havenít you tried out in some of the comedy shops in Pittsburgh?

Man, you need to put that talent to work. I mean I just canít hardly stop laughing your so damn good. Does it come natural to you or do you have to work at it?

Location hidden

#154941 Feb 18, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
I object to them being used as absolutes on a universal scale. As I have pointed out a few times, matter in this gravity well will be assembled different in other wells. The force will affect charge and distribution and observation. If it wasn't so, then there would not be fusion and fission.
Nothing is ever absolute , except in horseshoes and hand grenades.
bohart

Newport, TN

#154942 Feb 18, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
I doubt such an experiment would be run for ethical reasons.
Define ethical?

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#154943 Feb 18, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
Number based reality versus reality.
You have a car with an EPA 30mpg. You drive it for months and keep scrupulous records and work out your own average. It turns out to be 28.34488865996 mpg.
Cool. You have something to bank on there.
One day you get up and realize you forgot to fill the tank on the car. You cruised home on fumes and didn't realize it. Maybe you were pre-occupied thinking about how many billions of years it takes for matter to collide and make organic life, and considerably less to make such a genius as yourself for understanding that.
Anyhow, you are out of gas. The nearest gas station is 27 miles away. But you are in luck. You have exactly one gallon of gas left in the lawn mower gas can. So you very carefully pour it in, making sure it all goes into the tank.
You grab your wallet, jump in, fire that puppy up and head for the gas station, being careful on acceleration.
Hopefully you remembered to put the gas can in the back, because you will walk that last little ways.
Unless a truck comes out of nowhere, passes you, and you can slipstream it.
Got the hot tub working, huh?

You may want to turn the heat down.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#154944 Feb 18, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
In reference to the number of interpretations to the bible.
OMG, dude, OMG.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#154945 Feb 18, 2013
Siro wrote:
So the atheists say that life came about because atoms somehow got together at random to form self repeating patterns uniformly at a random basis?
Nope. Atheists say that they have no belief in deities.

Beyond that, they can say anything else they want.

Location hidden

#154946 Feb 18, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Got the hot tub working, huh?
You may want to turn the heat down.
Haven't turned it on yet. Was hoping you would stop by and help me heat it up. You can bring your friend.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Can Atheists Know God Does Not Exist When They ... 2 hr QUITTNER Nov 27 2014 31
A New Kinder, Gentler Atheism 2 hr Carchar king 26
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 4 hr NightSerf 1,031
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 8 hr Richardfs 1,423
Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) 8 hr Morse 14,448
Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 15 hr Gillette 5,946
Why the Internet is slowly strangling religion Tue Dally Mama 3

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE