Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#154881 Feb 18, 2013
Thinking wrote:
jesus christ...
<quoted text>
Phil McCracken

Hugh Jass

Seymour Buttz

I.P. Daley

Emma Hoar
Thinking

Hounslow, UK

#154882 Feb 18, 2013
You must be blind or lying. It happens so often.

www.topix.com/forum/city/medina-tn/T6E07P6QT6...
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Care to cite your sources? Topix atheists always demand that. Since they can't think for themselves.
Now, please. Validate thyself.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#154883 Feb 18, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You are making a pretty large leap there yourself.
Your basic belief in such is that we are the result of random actions. Remember, no intelligent design behind all of this in your view.
Thus, all is the result of random combinations, including your belief. You are under an illusion at best of being "right" in your determinations of what is and what ain't. You blow a bubble around yourself you can't see past.
Keep an open mind. You will see more things to base your determining abilities on.
Again, you read only what you want and ignore the rest. How many steps, in the process, has science filled in? How many steps has religion filled in?

I don't recall reading about DNA in the bible. I don't recall reading about atoms, bacteria or how to preform an appendectomy, in the bible.

Your mythology has one giant, unfounded, untestable, unbelievable leap. Science has a hell of a lot of testable, provable, believable steps.

Haven't you already stated that your mind is closed?

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#154884 Feb 18, 2013
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
"Without testable hypotheses and repeatable results , all you have is personal opinion, not actual knowledge".....polymath 257
thanks for your opinion.
There was no opinion in Poly's post.

That's all verified fact.

Deal with it.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#154885 Feb 18, 2013
This pondering the cause and purpose and etc of the universe and existence is nice, but really pales in comparison to something a bit more "reality" based. Something more concrete than the possibilities of deities, etc.

The real burning question.

If a Topix atheist was given a brain, could it learn how to use it? Even if given billions of years?

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#154886 Feb 18, 2013
CunningLinguist wrote:
<quoted text>
David Nelson says ďI believe in God but I do not try and assume I know what it is.Ē
Iím hearing Bronze Age thinking here. Thatís like saying that although you donít know what a Zqkthplm is, you damn well believe in it!
Such inane replies spring from the harsh, incessant social pressure to conform and Believe in God. It doesnít matter which god, which in itself seems silly, but there it is.
American society will accept almost any religious beliefs.
Must we continually list the atrocities caused by Christianity and its intrinsic intolerance?
The Crusades, the Inquisitions, burning witches, killing Jews. Letís not forget the Thirty Years War and the killings in Northern Ireland. Or the Christians giving Native Americans two choices: convert or die. The current madness in Iraq is a direct result of Christian arrogance, and Bushís own words about his messianic mission attest to that fact.
Here's a brief list of current religious conflicts:

http://funvax.wordpress.com/2011/03/20/curren...

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#154887 Feb 18, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You have no idea how close to the truth you may be there.
God works in mysterious ways.
God is boring.

Location hidden

#154888 Feb 18, 2013
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
Again, you read only what you want and ignore the rest. How many steps, in the process, has science filled in? How many steps has religion filled in?
I don't recall reading about DNA in the bible. I don't recall reading about atoms, bacteria or how to preform an appendectomy, in the bible.
Your mythology has one giant, unfounded, untestable, unbelievable leap. Science has a hell of a lot of testable, provable, believable steps.
Haven't you already stated that your mind is closed?
Hmmmm...you missed my reference to the irrational associations Topix atheists make. Or you just went ahead and did so anyhow.
let there be love

Edinburgh, UK

#154889 Feb 18, 2013
it is not wise to have faith in nothing
everything came from somewhere
athiest way leads to oppression if you are too rigid
tolerate other folk if you want them to leave you in peace
walk in love harm no one

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

#154890 Feb 18, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Hmmmm...you missed my reference to the irrational associations Topix atheists make. Or you just went ahead and did so anyhow.
What I am hearing is; you cannot discuss the issues, so you play games with the goal post.

Not a problem. I did not expect or hope to get a straight answer from you.

Location hidden

#154891 Feb 18, 2013
While still in a philosophicating mode and preparatory to go to go get some nicotine to fuel my existence, upon which I will likely lose my train of thought.

Starting a train moving is no big deal. It is the stopping that is the trick. Same with airplanes. Or rockets you hope to return on. Or even driving down the road.

Once you get something started, it just kinda goes. Taking the curves and stopping will determine the ultimate success of your trip.

A Topix atheist launches their mind out into the wild blue yonder, up past the clouds, past the stars, a bag of goodies and a whiskey bottle on the seat next to them.

Will they make it back home? Would they remember where they been?
Siro

Brisbane, Australia

#154892 Feb 18, 2013
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
What I am hearing is; you cannot discuss the issues, so you play games with the goal post.
So youre going to explain division of the sexes?

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

#154894 Feb 18, 2013
Siro wrote:
<quoted text>
Sounds like a goal post being moved!

Why not start small? Why not start with what science can prove and the bible is either wrong or silent on?

Your game is to attack that which no one yet knows and claim that it must be due to a god. That's a silly god of the gaps game and I don't play it.

Location hidden

#154895 Feb 18, 2013
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
You have no goal posts. Just dreams you will kick the winning one and be a hero.

Evidence of your being in your own little world is right there in your first sentence. Your assumption of what the issues are, and what is worthy of being discussed.

Look up in the stands. Some are laughing at you, and others have a look of pity on their face.

I'm the one smoking the cigarette and looking bored.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

#154896 Feb 18, 2013
Siro wrote:
<quoted text>
But if you want to play the bible god's division of the sexes, let's play.

According to your mythology, god always was and god is the creator of everything, right?

So, god is... just being; his is not floating or traveling through time and space, nothing has been created yet.

God, being the only being in, whatever, decides to create the heavens and the Earth.

God decides to make animals or Adam first, depending on which creation story you subscribe to. He makes the animals both male and female, but only makes a male human. Of course that is confused in first story when god had moses write, "male and female he created them."

Then to confuse matters even more, in chapter two, moses writes, "5 Now no shrub had yet appeared on the earth and no plant had yet sprung up, for the Lord God had not sent rain on the earth and there was no one to work the ground, 6 but streams came up from the earth and watered the whole surface of the ground. 7 Then the Lord God formed a man from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living being."

Chapter one states that god made plants on the 3rd day! 3 days before he made man!

Well that is all besides the point. The point is, god made male and female animals but only a male human.

Where did god come up with sex? Bloody brilliant! But then he wasn't going to share 'sex' with man! Why?

Then god tells Adam to go out into the animals and find him a mate! WTF?!?! god figured out that man was lonely, so his first choice was for Adam to find an animal mate?

You would think that a brilliant god, who came up with sex, would have thought that one through a bit better than that!

Don't you?

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

#154897 Feb 18, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You have no goal posts. Just dreams you will kick the winning one and be a hero.
Evidence of your being in your own little world is right there in your first sentence. Your assumption of what the issues are, and what is worthy of being discussed.
Look up in the stands. Some are laughing at you, and others have a look of pity on their face.
I'm the one smoking the cigarette and looking bored.
You have an imagination, I'll give you that!

There is no dream of scoring the final goal against your mythology!

Location hidden

#154898 Feb 18, 2013
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
Sounds like a goal post being moved!
Why not start small? Why not start with what science can prove and the bible is either wrong or silent on?
Your game is to attack that which no one yet knows and claim that it must be due to a god. That's a silly god of the gaps game and I don't play it.
Mankind has been peering outward for a very long time. Lots of thought given to who, what, and where he is, and how things work. Science has been around a long time, too.

All of that brain power, and science, has led to an almost overwhelming conclusion a higher power created all of this. Religions were developed from this. They didn't appear out of nowhere and everyone just followed. What this power is and what it looks like has been argued about quite a bit. But something exists is the consensus of opinion.

You talk about god of the gaps. That is exactly what you are doing with your science. If you can't explain it, then it doesn't exist. Talk about a leap of faith.
Imhotep

Wesley Chapel, FL

#154899 Feb 18, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
80% of Americans would disagree with you...
I think you missed the point

Which religion or belief will the USA not tolerate?

We pander to many pseudo beliefs.
And... all religions are false.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#154900 Feb 18, 2013
Abiogenesis is where the evidence can be found of Godís existence to non believers.

Until the genesis of life is known. Atheist will be lacking the validation thatís needed to support their theory life can self start without a designer.

Itís encouraging to this poster in this modern era of science there is no answer. It remains unknown and I think it will remain unknown until eternity.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

#154901 Feb 18, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Mankind has been peering outward for a very long time. Lots of thought given to who, what, and where he is, and how things work. Science has been around a long time, too.
Let's keep it fair! How long has your religion been around? 2000 years. What did it take to last that long? Inquisitions and oppression.

How long has modern science been around? About 500 years and it has had to fight the church all the way.
Dave Nelson wrote:
All of that brain power, and science, has led to an almost overwhelming conclusion a higher power created all of this.
Not the dumbest statement that you have made, but it is close.
Dave Nelson wrote:
Religions were developed from this.
Here's another runner up!
Dave Nelson wrote:
They didn't appear out of nowhere and everyone just followed.
Everyone does not follow.
Dave Nelson wrote:
What this power is and what it looks like has been argued about quite a bit. But something exists is the consensus of opinion.
You're too much!
Dave Nelson wrote:
You talk about god of the gaps. That is exactly what you are doing with your science. If you can't explain it, then it doesn't exist. Talk about a leap of faith.
Never said anything to the sort. If there is no evidence, then why waste time on nothing? Show us one bit of evidence that there is a god.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Evidence for God! 32 min NightSerf 372
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 3 hr _Bad Company 23,267
Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 3 hr Morse 5,951
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 3 hr RayOne 2,621
Christians More Supportive of Torture Than Non-... 5 hr SnuffAGlobalisst 23
Atheism: On the Rise? (Jan '13) 9 hr Dee 41
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 9 hr _Bad Company 1,458
More from around the web