Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
148,781 - 148,800 of 226,561 Comments Last updated 1 hr ago

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#154812 Feb 17, 2013
Mylan wrote:
<quoted text>They're called protocells you ignorant religitard. Oh wait, you don't know about them because they weren't in the bibull.....LOL...
Nor were cats - and yet...

The Borderland of Sol

#154813 Feb 17, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Always trying to inflict some kind of pain, sadist.
Did you like to torture animals when you were a kid?
Virtual Persecution Points don't count, silly.

The Borderland of Sol

#154814 Feb 17, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm going to go and refuel. See you guys sometime tomorrow.
Remember, "In the beginning, God created!"
Three unsupported assertions in five words.
That's pret' good - are you going for some sort of record?

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#154815 Feb 17, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> No it means there were hundreds if not thousands to tens of thousands, who were most likely the ancestors of archaic humans who gradually turned human. But I forgot you will winch your nose up and most likely say you believe you were magically made from a mud pie, a stolen penis bone or something like that.
But again I will say the direct evidence is that there were multiples of humans when the first humans came to be.
Youíre talking about a gradual blend in evolution. But hereís the deal. If there was a genetic mutation among the primates that resulted in a genetic change. Most likely that hiccup was to only one offspring and not several hundred or several thousands at the same time.

Stay with me here just a moment and think about this. Humans have 23 pairs of Chromosomes and primates have 24. Are you going to state that this fusion of Chromosome 2 happened to several thousand at the same time?

That is hardly believable that a radical change in Chromosomes could happen to so many humans at the same time. I just donít believe that is possible. How could anyone believe that? Perhaps one change in one offspring. That would be more believable. Then we would have the first human with 23 pairs of Chromosomes.

Southern Illinois

#154816 Feb 17, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Well, it's happened at least once.
We have evidence.
I would love to see the evidence you have and perhaps the entire scientific community, please share it with us.

“Why does my ignorance”

Since: Mar 11

justify your deity?

#154817 Feb 17, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
The truth is there has not been a lab experiment where life self created from sterile non living things. That would be big news in the science world if it had.
Since it has not happened in a lab then that is evidence it hasnít happened anywhere and at anytime.
You don't seem to understand how evidence works above.

:)

Southern Illinois

#154818 Feb 17, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> No it means there were hundreds if not thousands to tens of thousands, who were most likely the ancestors of archaic humans who gradually turned human. But I forgot you will winch your nose up and most likely say you believe you were magically made from a mud pie, a stolen penis bone or something like that.
But again I will say the direct evidence is that there were multiples of humans when the first humans came to be.
If this chromosome fusion is true it should be tested. Scientist can fuse chromosome 2 in a primate then that primate would give birth to a human. But I have heard of no such experiments.

A lot of couples would love to adopt a baby.

Southern Illinois

#154819 Feb 17, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
When I was typing I said to myself. If Hiding was here she would say I didnít understand.

Itís good to hear from you. I would love to stay and chat but itís 2:00am and Iím going to be with my Grandson tomorrow.

Hope you are doing well and we all have missed you.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#154820 Feb 18, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Youíre talking about a gradual blend in evolution. But hereís the deal. If there was a genetic mutation among the primates that resulted in a genetic change. Most likely that hiccup was to only one offspring and not several hundred or several thousands at the same time.
Stay with me here just a moment and think about this. Humans have 23 pairs of Chromosomes and primates have 24. Are you going to state that this fusion of Chromosome 2 happened to several thousand at the same time?
That is hardly believable that a radical change in Chromosomes could happen to so many humans at the same time. I just donít believe that is possible. How could anyone believe that? Perhaps one change in one offspring. That would be more believable. Then we would have the first human with 23 pairs of Chromosomes.
You're right. That particular change only happened to one individual who, apparently, was successful and multiplied. His/her children were successful and eventually hominin with different chromosomes went extinct through genetic drift.

It would be a mistake to assume that all human genetic material can trace back to that one chromosome shift. It cannot. When that individual was born, there were lots of other individuals of the same species around. S/he mated with someone w/out the chromosome blend, but his/her blended chromosome was either 1) dominant in that all offspring had it or 2) was co-dominant and lucky through genetic drift. Importantly, his/her other genes mixed, through sexual reproduction, just like everyone else's. In other words, the only genetic material we can trace back to that individual is the chromosome blending error.

Others contributed genes to the next generations in other areas. But, for whatever reason, that chromosome came to dominate in the gene pool of hominins.

Also, that individual was not the "first human" but the "first hominin with 22 Chromosomes." Humans are relatively recent in a long line of hominins - very likely, the chromosome 2 merger happened b/c of the reproductive isolation of hominin from the other great apes (they were interbreeding with Pan and Gorilla after they first appear in the fossil record, some 6.3 million years ago).

Here's one of the first studies to demonstrate what happened with Chromosome 2. They don't give dates, but they provide ideas of how we could figure out the date of the merger (by the numbers of mutations since then):

http://www.pnas.org/content/88/20/9051.full.p...

Here's a very, very technical paper that details human genetic phylogeny (where genes arose in the evolutionary lineage that eventually produced humans). It's probably a bit too complicated, sorry:

http://173.83.99.134/publicati ons/GuEtal_NG02.pdf

Finally, getting a bit off topic, here is an abstract detailing where the human sex chromosomes come from and when they first emerged in the animal kingdom:

http://www.sciencemag.org/content/286/5441/96...

It's impossible to deny that humans evolved just like every other species on the planet. Our genes connect us to them. You are an animal, whether you like it or not, and we are all cognitively and culturally distinct from all other animals.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#154821 Feb 18, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
When I was typing I said to myself. If Hiding was here she would say I didnít understand.
Itís good to hear from you. I would love to stay and chat but itís 2:00am and Iím going to be with my Grandson tomorrow.
Hope you are doing well and we all have missed you.
Hi! <waves hand>

I hope you have a good time with your grandson tomorrow!

(what you were wrong about was stating that b/c scientists haven't found evidence of X, X does not exist. Scientists haven't actually been looking that long - we don't know enough to conclude that it's impossible for abiogenesis. What we do have suggests that abiogenesis occurred and that we simply don't know how yet. If, however, scientists exhaust all possible ways of producing life from non-life, you'd be correct. Since that hasn't been done, your analysis is premature. Give them a few more decades :))

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#154822 Feb 18, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
If this chromosome fusion is true it should be tested. Scientist can fuse chromosome 2 in a primate then that primate would give birth to a human. But I have heard of no such experiments.
That couldn't work. You'd only have a fused Chromosome of Ape (chimp, gorilla, whichever you used) genes.

In addition to fusing the chromosomes, you'd also have to replace all the genes with human genes and all the non-coding sections with human non-coding sections. That's probably impossible. But if you successfully replaced the ape DNA in its entirety with human DNA, then you'd have a human.

If that's not impossible, it's a lot more difficult than simply cloning a human (also full or problems, many of them ethical). If I was the researcher doing it, I would take the cell you wanted me to transform into a human cell, dump it in the garbage and find a human cell. There, replaced!

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#154823 Feb 18, 2013
Mylan wrote:
<quoted text>There's a radio station in (believe it or not) Bishopville (yep, Bishopville) South Carolina, WAGS (AM). LOL..
Nice kanji, Mylan.

The Borderland of Sol

#154824 Feb 18, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
And apparently doesn't understand science at all.

Hiya, Hiding!

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#154825 Feb 18, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>And apparently doesn't understand science at all.
Hiya, Hiding!
Hello Mac! Hugs and hugs for you!

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#154826 Feb 18, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
At the split 6-12 million years ago the common ancestor who acquired the chromosomal change , was hardly human, and undoubtedly more apelike than man at first.
But when we talk the LCA of all the human homo sapiens species
such a Mt. Eve and Y c Adam , they're were very well established
as archaic humans. The difference was Mt. Eve being the direct mother (not a aunt). As opposed to other humans who had a different mother.

"Perhaps one change in one offspring. That would be more believable. Then we would have the first human with 23 pairs of Chromosomes"

This is what happened probably near or at the split , or divergence of human /ape on the tree of life.
But this chromosome split most likely predates homo sapiens sapiens, so it is still the same answer.

There were multiple humans when humans became human.

And It does make perfect sense.

Location hidden

#154827 Feb 18, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
You're crazy , apes are still a different species. If we were to fused gene 2 in them , the result would be another species, human like maybe ...but a cousin and another branch on the tree of life.

Location hidden

#154828 Feb 18, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
You're right. That particular change only happened to one individual who, apparently, was successful and multiplied. His/her children were successful and eventually hominin with different chromosomes went extinct through genetic drift.
It would be a mistake to assume that all human genetic material can trace back to that one chromosome shift. It cannot. When that individual was born, there were lots of other individuals of the same species around. S/he mated with someone w/out the chromosome blend, but his/her blended chromosome was either 1) dominant in that all offspring had it or 2) was co-dominant and lucky through genetic drift. Importantly, his/her other genes mixed, through sexual reproduction, just like everyone else's. In other words, the only genetic material we can trace back to that individual is the chromosome blending error.
Others contributed genes to the next generations in other areas. But, for whatever reason, that chromosome came to dominate in the gene pool of hominins.
Also, that individual was not the "first human" but the "first hominin with 22 Chromosomes." Humans are relatively recent in a long line of hominins - very likely, the chromosome 2 merger happened b/c of the reproductive isolation of hominin from the other great apes (they were interbreeding with Pan and Gorilla after they first appear in the fossil record, some 6.3 million years ago).
Here's one of the first studies to demonstrate what happened with Chromosome 2. They don't give dates, but they provide ideas of how we could figure out the date of the merger (by the numbers of mutations since then):
http://www.pnas.org/content/88/20/9051.full.p...
Here's a very, very technical paper that details human genetic phylogeny (where genes arose in the evolutionary lineage that eventually produced humans). It's probably a bit too complicated, sorry:
http://173.83.99.134/publicati ons/GuEtal_NG02.pdf
Finally, getting a bit off topic, here is an abstract detailing where the human sex chromosomes come from and when they first emerged in the animal kingdom:
http://www.sciencemag.org/content/286/5441/96...
It's impossible to deny that humans evolved just like every other species on the planet. Our genes connect us to them. You are an animal, whether you like it or not, and we are all cognitively and culturally distinct from all other animals.
Hello hiding, lol Your answer is much better than mine. But didn't know you would be here to give it. Eagle is as unknowing how we evolved as anyone we could hope to meet though. BTW WB

The Borderland of Sol

#154829 Feb 18, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Hello Mac! Hugs and hugs for you!
Bog, it's early here...
CunningLinguist

Kissimmee, FL

#154832 Feb 18, 2013
andet1987 wrote:
<quoted text>
please change your name asap. it looks like cunnilingus. thanks.
Pick one for me,,, thanx

Connie Lingus
Dixie Rect
Mona Lott
Phil Accio

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#154833 Feb 18, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Building blocks of life may indeed form in a lab environment with some outside technical interference.
Self creating life from non life forms has not happened, ever.
Remember as a kid those ABC building blocks?
Take all 26 letters and putting them in a large bag and shake them up. Then toss them out onto the floor.
What are the chances these letters will self assemble into complex words lined up from one end to the other in a orderly fashion?
Those blocks are inert. The molecules of life are not. HUGE difference.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 3 hr Thinking 21,529
Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 5 hr Thinking 5,921
The Ultimate Evidence of God 9 hr James 68
The myth of the angry atheist 20 hr _Bad Company 3
Our world came from nothing? Mon Patrick 436
It seems there are more Atheists in the Christi... (Jun '13) Mon Patrick 13
Atheists forgetting the meaning of freedom Sat religionislies 58
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••