Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258049 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Mar 11

Scottsburg, IN

#154850 Feb 18, 2013
My neighbor is a detective and she is a cutie! Her and her husband have had dinner with us before. I hate to tell you and Dave but adult websites are legal.

:)
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Eventually the Federal Investigators will make their case. You do realize that your probably being watched by the Police. One little slip up and it’s the cell block for you cowboy. Not only do they charge you for the crimes they also take the money made.
The Feds like to do these things in campaigns. Where they take down several hundred at a time. Unannounced they crash in your door wearing assault equipment. Before you can wake up your in cuffs in the back seat of a police cruiser.
You just go on thinking your immune.
CunningLinguist

Casselberry, FL

#154851 Feb 18, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
If you actually took the time to write that up yourself, I would be flattered you did such, and displayed and expended some intellect in doing so.
Such is highly unlikely. I think your talents are limited to cutting and pasting the thoughts of others.
But you forgot the eeyuk, eeyuk, giggle, and snort at the end.
David, you are unworthy of anything other than copy/paste as you have allowed your entire existence to be copy/pasted in advance for you by religious dogma.

Until the highly unlikely event you gain some serious knowledge, you are forever doomed to the abyss of self imposed ignorance.

If you spent 10% of your time trying to find WHY there are non believers, you might have a modicum of understanding, as it happens, all you have is hatred.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#154852 Feb 18, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
I miss a weekend & there's 2,000 more posts?
Have I missed anything?
Did the atheists finally admit there belief of no god?
What do you call your religion? The one that you believe there is not Zeus?

What do you call your religion? The one that you believe there is not Apollo?

What do you call your religion? The one that you believe there is not Angrboda?

The list goes on and on but even you should get the gist of it.

No, I take that back. You are a troll, not a christian, so you will play this game until you grow up and get some friends.

Since: Sep 08

La Veta, CO

#154854 Feb 18, 2013
Number based reality versus reality.

You have a car with an EPA 30mpg. You drive it for months and keep scrupulous records and work out your own average. It turns out to be 28.34488865996 mpg.

Cool. You have something to bank on there.

One day you get up and realize you forgot to fill the tank on the car. You cruised home on fumes and didn't realize it. Maybe you were pre-occupied thinking about how many billions of years it takes for matter to collide and make organic life, and considerably less to make such a genius as yourself for understanding that.

Anyhow, you are out of gas. The nearest gas station is 27 miles away. But you are in luck. You have exactly one gallon of gas left in the lawn mower gas can. So you very carefully pour it in, making sure it all goes into the tank.

You grab your wallet, jump in, fire that puppy up and head for the gas station, being careful on acceleration.

Hopefully you remembered to put the gas can in the back, because you will walk that last little ways.

Unless a truck comes out of nowhere, passes you, and you can slipstream it.

Since: Sep 08

La Veta, CO

#154855 Feb 18, 2013
CunningLinguist wrote:
<quoted text>
David, you are unworthy of anything other than copy/paste as you have allowed your entire existence to be copy/pasted in advance for you by religious dogma.
Until the highly unlikely event you gain some serious knowledge, you are forever doomed to the abyss of self imposed ignorance.
If you spent 10% of your time trying to find WHY there are non believers, you might have a modicum of understanding, as it happens, all you have is hatred.
Ocala used to be a neat little town. Then the idiots started moving to it.

So, how long have you lived there?
CunningLinguist

Casselberry, FL

#154856 Feb 18, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
I miss a weekend & there's 2,000 more posts?
Have I missed anything
Did the atheists finally admit there belief of no god?
"In God We Rust" is more appropriate

'Have I missed anything'- Were you absent?

'Did the atheists finally admit there belief of no god?'
We never assembled huge atheistic armies to kill those whose beliefs we didn’t agree with. We don’t even march door to door to tell you how dumb your religions are (though the courtesy is not returned) because it just ain’t our style.

It is true that it is difficult to get any two atheists to agree on whether to capitalize the word “God” but I doubt there are any, anywhere, who would call for pistols at dawn to work it out!

bohart

White Pine, TN

#154857 Feb 18, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
We do not know the mechanism. But, your choice of language is telling. It shows a bias that is unreasonable in this context.
For example, NONE of the atoms in your body is alive. None of the basic components from which you are made is alive. An oxygen atom or a hydrogen atom are 'dead, lifeless, sterile material'. The same can be said for every other chemical element, but you are completely made from such elements.
In other words, YOU, a living thing, are made from dead, lifeless, sterile materials. You really should think about this point. Everything alive is made from atoms and those are all, according to your language, dead, lifeless sterial materials.
The point is that chemical elements are NOT sterile in the sense that they interact with other chemical elements in complex and interesting ways. And it is in the variety of those interactions that we get life. There is no 'life substance' that is added to 'dead lifeless atoms' to obtain life.
"Without testable hypotheses and repeatable results , all you have is personal opinion, not actual knowledge".....polymath 257

thanks for your opinion.
Thinking

Ilminster, UK

#154858 Feb 18, 2013
WTF.
Dave Nelson wrote:
Number based reality versus reality.
You have a car with an EPA 30mpg. You drive it for months and keep scrupulous records and work out your own average. It turns out to be 28.34488865996 mpg.
Cool. You have something to bank on there.
One day you get up and realize you forgot to fill the tank on the car. You cruised home on fumes and didn't realize it. Maybe you were pre-occupied thinking about how many billions of years it takes for matter to collide and make organic life, and considerably less to make such a genius as yourself for understanding that.
Anyhow, you are out of gas. The nearest gas station is 27 miles away. But you are in luck. You have exactly one gallon of gas left in the lawn mower gas can. So you very carefully pour it in, making sure it all goes into the tank.
You grab your wallet, jump in, fire that puppy up and head for the gas station, being careful on acceleration.
Hopefully you remembered to put the gas can in the back, because you will walk that last little ways.
Unless a truck comes out of nowhere, passes you, and you can slipstream it.

Since: Mar 11

Scottsburg, IN

#154859 Feb 18, 2013
Readers Digest strikes again.
Dave Nelson wrote:
Number based reality versus reality.
You have a car with an EPA 30mpg. You drive it for months and keep scrupulous records and work out your own average. It turns out to be 28.34488865996 mpg.
Cool. You have something to bank on there.
One day you get up and realize you forgot to fill the tank on the car. You cruised home on fumes and didn't realize it. Maybe you were pre-occupied thinking about how many billions of years it takes for matter to collide and make organic life, and considerably less to make such a genius as yourself for understanding that.
Anyhow, you are out of gas. The nearest gas station is 27 miles away. But you are in luck. You have exactly one gallon of gas left in the lawn mower gas can. So you very carefully pour it in, making sure it all goes into the tank.
You grab your wallet, jump in, fire that puppy up and head for the gas station, being careful on acceleration.
Hopefully you remembered to put the gas can in the back, because you will walk that last little ways.
Unless a truck comes out of nowhere, passes you, and you can slipstream it.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#154860 Feb 18, 2013
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
"Without testable hypotheses and repeatable results , all you have is personal opinion, not actual knowledge".....polymath 257
thanks for your opinion.
Which part are you calling an opinion?

We do not know the mechanism.

NONE of the atoms in your body is alive.

None of the basic components from which you are made is alive.

An oxygen atom or a hydrogen atom are 'dead, lifeless, sterile material'.

The same can be said for every other chemical element, but you are completely made from such elements.

In other words, YOU, a living thing, are made from dead, lifeless, sterile materials.

You really should think about this point.

Everything alive is made from atoms and those are all, according to your language, dead, lifeless sterial materials.

The point is that chemical elements are NOT sterile in the sense that they interact with other chemical elements in complex and interesting ways.

And it is in the variety of those interactions that we get life.

There is no 'life substance' that is added to 'dead lifeless atoms' to obtain life.

Which statement are you having trouble with?
CunningLinguist

Casselberry, FL

#154861 Feb 18, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Ocala used to be a neat little town. Then the idiots started moving to it.
So, how long have you lived there?
Ocala may still be... only my DSL knows for sure.

Idiots are everywhere, you can hear them on weekends yelling and singing to their imaginary friends, in 'special holy buildings' sometime even dressed in silly clothes!

Fridays for Islam - need prayer rug
Saturdays for Judaism - need skull cap
Sundays for Christians - need to knee

Serious waste of a good robust weekend in my opinion!

Religion makes people stupid as evidenced by you post.

“e pluribus unum”

Since: Dec 10

primus inter pares

#154862 Feb 18, 2013
Thinking wrote:
WTF.
<quoted text>
I was thinking Dave shouldn't have moved so far out in the boonies, being so absent minded in his aged condition. He should also keep that gallon of gas and his cell phone handy, just in case anymore.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#154863 Feb 18, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
http://pages.towson.edu/ladon/carbon.html
Geometry, motion, motion displacing "space", motion creating polarity, channeling of motion.
Blah, blah, blah...

Yawn.

Since: Sep 08

La Veta, CO

#154864 Feb 18, 2013
Topix atheists are a peculiar model of cosmological mechanics.

It's like a heads up display appears in front of them.

SUBJECT NOT RANTING AGAINST CREATOR ACCORDING TO PROGRAM!!

WARNING!!! WARNING!!

CHRISTIAN FUNDIE!!!

KILL!! KILL!!

Since: Sep 08

La Veta, CO

#154865 Feb 18, 2013
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
Which part are you calling an opinion?
We do not know the mechanism.
NONE of the atoms in your body is alive.
None of the basic components from which you are made is alive.
An oxygen atom or a hydrogen atom are 'dead, lifeless, sterile material'.
The same can be said for every other chemical element, but you are completely made from such elements.
In other words, YOU, a living thing, are made from dead, lifeless, sterile materials.
You really should think about this point.
Everything alive is made from atoms and those are all, according to your language, dead, lifeless sterial materials.
The point is that chemical elements are NOT sterile in the sense that they interact with other chemical elements in complex and interesting ways.
And it is in the variety of those interactions that we get life.
There is no 'life substance' that is added to 'dead lifeless atoms' to obtain life.
Which statement are you having trouble with?
It takes a motive force for those atoms to motivate.

How did those lifeless atoms motivate you to type that?

Drop some organic matter into acid and you get interaction resulting in an energy flow. For this energy flow to result in coherent actions in a proactive way, as you think you are doing involves quite a bit of interacting. Do you really believe your actions are the result of lifeless atoms bumping against each other? How can you be certain of it? Of yourself? We are talking about you, not everyone else.
Thinking

Ilminster, UK

#154866 Feb 18, 2013
Straw man. Over use of capitalisation is more often a believer sort of thing.
Dave Nelson wrote:
Topix atheists are a peculiar model of cosmological mechanics.
It's like a heads up display appears in front of them.
SUBJECT NOT RANTING AGAINST CREATOR ACCORDING TO PROGRAM!!
WARNING!!! WARNING!!
CHRISTIAN FUNDIE!!!
KILL!! KILL!!

Since: Sep 08

La Veta, CO

#154867 Feb 18, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
I was thinking Dave shouldn't have moved so far out in the boonies, being so absent minded in his aged condition. He should also keep that gallon of gas and his cell phone handy, just in case anymore.
Your thinking is the result of random transfers of incoherent energy. Your chemical actions and such?

Why should your thinking be taken seriously?

I don't believe in the absolute infallibility of numbers. I don't run out of gas. Not after a couple of times a very long time ago.
CunningLinguist

Casselberry, FL

#154868 Feb 18, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
Topix atheists are a peculiar model of cosmological mechanics.
It's like a heads up display appears in front of them.
SUBJECT NOT RANTING AGAINST CREATOR ACCORDING TO PROGRAM!!
WARNING!!! WARNING!!
CHRISTIAN FUNDIE!!!
KILL!! KILL!!
David Nelson says “I believe in God but I do not try and assume I know what it is.”

I’m hearing Bronze Age thinking here. That’s like saying that although you don’t know what a Zqkthplm is, you damn well believe in it!

Such inane replies spring from the harsh, incessant social pressure to conform and Believe in God. It doesn’t matter which god, which in itself seems silly, but there it is.

American society will accept almost any religious beliefs.
Must we continually list the atrocities caused by Christianity and its intrinsic intolerance?

The Crusades, the Inquisitions, burning witches, killing Jews. Let’s not forget the Thirty Years War and the killings in Northern Ireland. Or the Christians giving Native Americans two choices: convert or die. The current madness in Iraq is a direct result of Christian arrogance, and Bush’s own words about his messianic mission attest to that fact.

Since: Sep 08

La Veta, CO

#154869 Feb 18, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Straw man. Over use of capitalisation is more often a believer sort of thing.
<quoted text>
Care to cite your sources? Topix atheists always demand that. Since they can't think for themselves.

Now, please. Validate thyself.

“e pluribus unum”

Since: Dec 10

primus inter pares

#154870 Feb 18, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Your thinking is the result of random transfers of incoherent energy. Your chemical actions and such?
Why should your thinking be taken seriously?
I don't believe in the absolute infallibility of numbers. I don't run out of gas. Not after a couple of times a very long time ago.
Well why are you babbling about stuff that is of little concern?
Is it because your thinking is the result of random transfers of incoherent energy? Oh....I thought so.

Your car may not have, but your posts here on topix sure have.
So why should your thinking be taken seriously?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 2 min Into The Night 23,627
The Dumbest Thing Posted by a Godbot (Jun '10) 2 hr Richardfs 5,727
Athetists' best bet is that there is a God. 8 hr IB DaMann 94
bigger fish to fry (Jul '11) 10 hr Suspicious Packag... 2
What are the best arguments against religion? 10 hr Richardfs 8
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 20 hr scientia potentia... 48,864
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) Fri ChristineM 21,882
More from around the web