Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#154716 Feb 17, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
Ah, Topix and the internet. Where else can 13 year old brains in much older bodies play act, trying hard to appear as intellectual, mature adults? With a tendency to do stupid posts.
Speaking from personal experience I see. Maybe if you didn't waste your time with some loser religion you'd have better self-esteem and not feel that way about yourself. Oh bother.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#154717 Feb 17, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
Dave Nelson wrote:
Ah, Topix and the internet. Where else can 13 year old brains in much older bodies play act, trying hard to appear as intellectual, mature adult atheists?
<quoted text>
You aren't atheist? Well, please forgive me. Let me correct that to read the following for your particular case.
Ah, Topix and the internet. Where else can 13 year old brains in much older bodies play act, trying hard to appear as intellectual, mature adults?
With a tendency to do stupid posts.
Am I forgiven?
You don't like 13 , because that's too old for your devious plans.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#154718 Feb 17, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
Am I forgiven?
Don't ask me.

I'm not your god, or Jesus, or a magnet.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#154719 Feb 17, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't ask me.
You ain't shit, either.

Why do you feel so compelled to volunteer your comments?

Hooked the spa back up. Looks like it will work.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#154720 Feb 17, 2013
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you part of WAG, too?
Homey, you are way out of the main stream. WAG means Wild Ass Guess. I would have told you sooner but I thought you knew.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#154721 Feb 17, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't ask me.
http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/natio...

Atheists don't need a skydaddy to keep watch over them. They have their fellow man.

Careful who you have in that outdoor hot tub with you, Catcher.

Oh yeah, make sure everything on your property is up to code. No unpermitted buildings, trash piles, etc, etc, etc.

Ain't science and technology grand?

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#154722 Feb 17, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Homey, you are way out of the main stream. WAG means Wild Ass Guess. I would have told you sooner but I thought you knew.
Sorry, I am not as hip as you. It must be because I am really in my 50's and you are really a young kid.

But you did answer my question; the christian god isn't interested in talking to christians anymore than it is interested in talking to me.

Location hidden

#154723 Feb 17, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I thought WAG meant "women and girls"?

But there you go , making d stuff up!

Southern Illinois

#154724 Feb 17, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
We do not know the mechanism. But, your choice of language is telling. It shows a bias that is unreasonable in this context.
For example, NONE of the atoms in your body is alive. None of the basic components from which you are made is alive. An oxygen atom or a hydrogen atom are 'dead, lifeless, sterile material'. The same can be said for every other chemical element, but you are completely made from such elements.
In other words, YOU, a living thing, are made from dead, lifeless, sterile materials. You really should think about this point. Everything alive is made from atoms and those are all, according to your language, dead, lifeless sterial materials.
The point is that chemical elements are NOT sterile in the sense that they interact with other chemical elements in complex and interesting ways. And it is in the variety of those interactions that we get life. There is no 'life substance' that is added to 'dead lifeless atoms' to obtain life.
It takes more than mixing chemicals to come up with living cells. It takes purposeful and precise bio engineering. RNA and DNA had to be assembled through precise engineering to have this run on life.

Happenstance creation as you would want to believe. It doesnít happen that way in labs and it didnít happen that way in the beginning. Science research is a testament to that fact. Life doesnít self create from non living things.

The answer that Atheist want can be found in the beginning. If you are an Atheist. You should be thinking about how all this life started from lifeless material without purposeful intervention.

You would have a very strong argument if we had repeatedly produced in a lab life from non living material without intrusion. It has not happened. It hasnít happened on Mars and it hasnít happened on the Earth.

Location hidden

#154725 Feb 17, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>

Southern Illinois

#154726 Feb 17, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Daffy thinks an advertisement for a book is proof for Jesus. Daffy thinks because a book written by a guy who said he knew the world was ending in 1988, claims it then it must be true!
Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahaha!
<quoted text>

ďEven your hero Bart Erhman states the Josephus and Tacitus passages are forged.ď

You were the one who brought him up as a reference in post #154652. I would like to see proof that the world would end in 1988.

Southern Illinois

#154727 Feb 17, 2013
something seven wrote:
PROOF THERE IS A GOD: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =vi1MIAjoaUYXX
Funny but I don't see anything relevant to the thread but I did get a laugh out of it.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#154728 Feb 17, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You ain't shit, either.
Why do you feel so compelled to volunteer your comments?
Hooked the spa back up. Looks like it will work.
I have always believed in pro bono work.

Even on these threads. My comment are free of charge.

So turn on the heat and enjoy the hot tub.

Southern Illinois

#154729 Feb 17, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =94_oswDn-oMXX
Wow! I wonder if Adam sang that to Eve, lol.:)

Location hidden

#154730 Feb 17, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow! I wonder if Adam sang that to Eve, lol.:)
Damn straight, if you dumb enough to believe there was a Adam And Eve.

Then You will believe anything!

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#154731 Feb 17, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
If you are an Atheist. You should be thinking about how all this life started from lifeless material without purposeful intervention.
If you are a Christian, you should be thinking about how god came to be without purposeful intervention.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#154732 Feb 17, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
http://pages.towson.edu/ladon/carbon.html
Geometry, motion, motion displacing "space", motion creating polarity, channeling of motion.
And I thought you didn't like quantum mechanics. Those orbitals described in your link are classical quantum mechanical concepts. Not to mention electron spin (not to be confused with rotation).

Southern Illinois

#154733 Feb 17, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>Damn straight, if you dumb enough to believe there was a Adam And Eve.
Then You will believe anything!
You donít believe there was a first man and woman?

How could there not be a first?

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#154734 Feb 17, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
It takes more than mixing chemicals to come up with living cells. It takes purposeful and precise bio engineering. RNA and DNA had to be assembled through precise engineering to have this run on life.
That is a claim you can make, but there is no evidence for it. And my basic point still remains: that *every* atom is your body is non-alive, yet those 'dead lifeless' atoms still combine to produce life.
The answer that Atheist want can be found in the beginning. If you are an Atheist. You should be thinking about how all this life started from lifeless material without purposeful intervention.
While I am interested in abiogenesis, I don't have the technical knowledge of organic chemistry required to pursue the question in depth.
You would have a very strong argument if we had repeatedly produced in a lab life from non living material without intrusion. It has not happened. It hasnít happened on Mars and it hasnít happened on the Earth.
We have been working on the question for about 60 years. Less if you also require some knowledge of the genetic code. In that time, we have shown the basic building blocks of life spontaneously form under a variety of conditions. We have produced microspheres that are capable of catalyzing reactions required for life, that grow and divide. Given the the natural process on life took at least a couple of hundred million years, I don't consider that bad progress at all.

Mars has always been a borderline case for life off of Earth: a bit too far from the sun, low gravity (so the atmosphere diffuses away), and no other source of heat. Even if there was life on Mars very early on, I strongly doubt it would still be here OR that we would be likely to find unambiguous evidence of it. That there was running water certainly helps the case, but a lack of nitrogen compounds hurts it. I'd give it about a 20% chance of ever having life and about a 5% chance of our finding it even if it did.

I am much more enthused about Titan. It has a heat source from tidal action, has a wealth of organic compounds and has a decent atmosphere. It is still very cold and running water is an issue (although a ammonia based life might be feasible). I'd give Titan about a 10% chance of having life, although actual detection will still be another issue.

Let's face it. We have barely started to explore other worlds in our own solar system. But I certainly would not be surprised if Earth is the only body in our solar system with life. Even if it isn't, I strongly doubt anything more advanced than bacteria is anywhere circling the sun (other than us).

Now, when we go to other stars, the odds increase dramatically. First, we know that basic building blocks of life are common in the galaxy. We also know that stars with planets are very common (a fact that we did not know even 10 years ago). At this point, our techniques are biased towards finding planets that are close to the parent stars and so are unlikely to have life. But our technology is getting better on this. An oxygen atmosphere on another planet would be an almost sure sign of life there. And it is possible we could detect that even from here. I guess we shall see.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#154735 Feb 17, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
Atheists don't need a skydaddy to keep watch over them.
Either do you, you're just too delusional to realize it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 2 hr red and right 2,628
Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 3 hr ChristineM 5,961
Can Atheists Know God Does Not Exist When They ... 7 hr Richardfs 179
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 7 hr Morse 23,279
faith & pride 8 hr geezerjock 1
A New Kinder, Gentler Atheism 11 hr _Bad Company 214
Pastor who gave up God for a year after getting... 11 hr thetruth 3
More from around the web