Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#154654 Feb 16, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
So repeating what someone says without a shred of you finding errors or mistakes is the bet you chumps can do?
<quoted text>
Fabrications from you are acknowledged. You are prone to say anything and claim it as a fact. When asked for proof you just side step the question. Your opinions, hunches and guesses is considered not proof.

You have made so many deceitful statements itís hard to believe anything you say. Why is untruthfulness a mainstay of your persona? Do Atheist embrace lying as being ok? Or is this just something unique to you?

We talked about a moral code among Atheist and where does it come from. I think some Atheist are honest but I donít believe you are one of them. Your track record here on topix shows it. I have to ask myself what is your incentive to tell the truth?

You donít care about your image here. Youíre not worried about answering to a higher power about all your lying. So what the heck, you just lie and claim it as the truth. Hoping that the audience and regulars wonít notice. This is going to be a hell of a shock to you, we notice.

Southern Illinois

#154655 Feb 16, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Even your hero Bart Erhman states the Josephus and Tacitus passages are forged.
Many Christian scholars pastors and priests say to avoid using Tacitus at all costs because he would never refer to jesus as Christ, and even educated believers admit the Jospehus line is forged but how much is it forged?
Links from several sources have been provided umpteenth times Daffy and you know it.
<quoted text>
Again you supply no sources.

Virtually all modern scholars of antiquity agree that Jesus existed, and biblical scholars and classical historians regard theories of his non-existence as effectively refuted.[

The term "Christ myth theory" is an umbrella term that applies to a range of arguments that in one way or another question the authenticity of the existence of Jesus or the essential elements of his life as described in the Christian gospels. Among the variants of the Jesus myth theory, the notion that Jesus never existed has little scholarly support, and although some modern scholars adhere to it, they remain a distinct minority; virtually all scholars involved with historical Jesus research believe that his existence can be established

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historicity_of_J...

Southern Illinois

#154656 Feb 16, 2013
Virtually all modern scholars of antiquity agree that Jesus existed, and biblical scholars and classical historians regard theories of his non-existence as effectively refuted.

the notion that Jesus never existed has little scholarly support, and although some modern scholars adhere to it, they remain a distinct minority;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historicity_of_J ...

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#154657 Feb 16, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Not to mention the Jospehus and Tacitus passage are outrageous Christian forgeries not appearing until centuries later.
<quoted text>
Josephus was apparently been altered from the original.

Tacitus is probably close to pristine, he simply documented what people said, not that what they said were actually facts.

Let us remember that if we use a criteria to "debunk" Christian documents then we must use the same criteria for all ancient texts. The result would be the elimination of most of human history.

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#154658 Feb 16, 2013
What fabrications? What lies? How did you come to the conclusion they were?

Unable to answer this caulks up yet another failure on your part.

So who was the middle eastern dressed man who went in your dad's hospital room anyways?

:)
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Fabrications from you are acknowledged. You are prone to say anything and claim it as a fact. When asked for proof you just side step the question. Your opinions, hunches and guesses is considered not proof.
You have made so many deceitful statements itís hard to believe anything you say. Why is untruthfulness a mainstay of your persona? Do Atheist embrace lying as being ok? Or is this just something unique to you?
We talked about a moral code among Atheist and where does it come from. I think some Atheist are honest but I donít believe you are one of them. Your track record here on topix shows it. I have to ask myself what is your incentive to tell the truth?
You donít care about your image here. Youíre not worried about answering to a higher power about all your lying. So what the heck, you just lie and claim it as the truth. Hoping that the audience and regulars wonít notice. This is going to be a hell of a shock to you, we notice.

Lexington, KY

#154659 Feb 16, 2013
Not apparently, definitely. Tacitus' is pristine? Are you seriously claiming an imperial Hellenistic roman would have called a long dead Rabbi Christ? In a copy of his work from the 15th century! Lmfao!

Seriously? Care to rethink that one?
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
Josephus was apparently been altered from the original.
Tacitus is probably close to pristine, he simply documented what people said, not that what they said were actually facts.
Let us remember that if we use a criteria to "debunk" Christian documents then we must use the same criteria for all ancient texts. The result would be the elimination of most of human history.

Southern Illinois

#154660 Feb 16, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Many Christian scholars pastors and priests say to avoid using Tacitus at all costs because he would never refer to jesus as Christ, and even educated believers admit the Jospehus line is forged but how much is it forged?
Links from several sources have been provided umpteenth times Daffy and you know it.
<quoted text>
Bart Ehrman's

In "Did Jesus Exist? The Historical Argument for Jesus of Nazareth," Ehrman soundly refutes the arguments -- sometimes made by atheists, agnostics and humanists -- that early storytellers invented Jesus.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/03/did-...

“Love much, trust none”

There

#154661 Feb 16, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Not apparently, definitely. Tacitus' is pristine? Are you seriously claiming an imperial Hellenistic roman would have called a long dead Rabbi Christ? In a copy of his work from the 15th century! Lmfao!
Seriously? Care to rethink that one?
<quoted text>
So we can pitch Caesars Gallic Wars in the dust bin, too.

The term "Christ" was used by non-christian Romans for at least 100 years before Tacitus.

You are just another fool who should put down the double edged sword before you get hurt.

Lexington, KY

#154662 Feb 16, 2013
And he states the Josephus and Tacitus passages are forged, had you read his book and not just a tidy copy and paste you would know this. Oh and Bart's argument is... Paul, another person he can't prove actually existed btw, said Jesus existed and the story is so stupid it has to be about a real person! Ta-da!

Still waiting for my so called lies and how you know they were lies and not just facts that you don't like.

Anytime now.... Any day now... Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz... Hmm did you find those specific lies yet Daffy? No?

Thought so.
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Bart Ehrman's
In "Did Jesus Exist? The Historical Argument for Jesus of Nazareth," Ehrman soundly refutes the arguments -- sometimes made by atheists, agnostics and humanists -- that early storytellers invented Jesus.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/03/did-...

“Love much, trust none”

There

#154663 Feb 16, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
Virtually all modern scholars of antiquity agree that Jesus existed, and biblical scholars and classical historians regard theories of his non-existence as effectively refuted.
the notion that Jesus never existed has little scholarly support, and although some modern scholars adhere to it, they remain a distinct minority;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historicity_of_J ...
Agreed.

Southern Illinois

#154664 Feb 16, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
<quoted text>
His newest book has turned some of his perennial critics into fans, at least temporarily. In "Did Jesus Exist?: The Historical Argument for Jesus of Nazareth," Ehrman decimates the persistent arguments of those who not only deny the divinity of Jesus but insist that no such man ever even existed.

In an interview, I asked Ehrman about the motives of the "mythicists," the evidence supporting the existence of Jesus, and his own spiritual beliefs.

Q: As you explain in your book, many mythicists continue to try to debunk the very existence of Jesus Christ. What's the motivation of those who try to turn Jesus into an imaginary figure?

A: It's been a bit of a mystery. I don't have a solid answer, but I have a hunch. It's based on the fact that everybody whoís a mythicist is a very strong agnostic or, more typically, a hard-core atheist.
And virtually [all mythicists are] diehard opponent[s] of organized religion. They think it's done so much harm in the world, not just crusades and inquisitions, but by supporting slavery and racism and sexism and so forth.
These people, who are quite strongly opposed to religion, live in a culture where the dominant religion is Christianity. These people think that by showing Christianity is founded on a myth, they can show that it's in fact a fairy tale not worthy of belief.
Q: How influential are these people?

A: They are not influential among scholars of antiquity, historians of the ancient world, classicists, and biblical scholars. There, they've made virtually no impact.
Where they have made an impact is in popular circles, especially with the advent of the Internet. There is an increasing following of these people on the Internet, and a number of them have written books that have sold a lot of copies.

Q: Does the existence of Jesus matter for people who aren't Christian?

A: For people who have allegiance at all to Jesus, whether they consider themselves Christian or consider him an ethical teacher, it matters whether he existed or not.
I myself am an agnostic, and one would ask why would it matter to me.
The answer is that history really matters. It's important that we not rewrite it as the way we want it to be. Once we give people that license, it can lead to all sorts of dangerous political and social implications. It's important to get history right even if it's something that we're not that concerned about.

The second thing is that whether we're Christian or not, there's no doubt that Christianity is the most important phenomenon in Western civilization. Jesus stands at the foundation of Christianity and the Christian church. It's important to understand Jesus.

Q: Many biblical scholars believe that the canonical Gospels Ė Matthew, Mark, Luke and John Ė weren't written by anyone who personally knew Jesus. Does that make it difficult to rely on them as historical narratives of what really happened?

A: Scholars have worked on this problem for a very long time, starting in the 1770s. We're talking about a discipline thatís hundreds of years old.
For about the last century, the majority of scholars in Europe and North America have agreed that the earliest gospels, Matthew, Mark, and Luke, do contain historically reliable information.

http://www.csmonitor.com/Books/chapter-and-ve... (page)/2

Southern Illinois

#154665 Feb 16, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
What fabrications? What lies? How did you come to the conclusion they were?
Unable to answer this caulks up yet another failure on your part.
So who was the middle eastern dressed man who went in your dad's hospital room anyways?
:)
<quoted text>
You must be working on our side because your making Atheist look really bad.

“Formerly "Richard"”

Since: Mar 12

In the beginning e=mc^2

#154666 Feb 16, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
You must be working on our side because your making Atheist look really bad.
As usual you never answer a question.
bohart

Newport, TN

#154667 Feb 16, 2013
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
You guess!?!? Well hey, how about you ask your god and question? If you get the right answer from your god, then I will believe!
I have a calendar in my den, what is the theme?
What? Your god will no play? Why not? It would bring glory to him. Isn't that the main criteria for him?
No worries, I understand.
Wow!, what an incoherent babble, I can't speak for the creator as I am one of the created, but a fair assumption is that one of his creatures that routinely shits his pants is in no position to question his methods .

“Love much, trust none”

There

#154668 Feb 16, 2013
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
.... a fair assumption is that one of his creatures that routinely shits his pants is in no position to question his methods .
So you shit your pants and never question your beliefs.

Didn't need a deity to figure that our.

Let me use "The Gift of Marduk" to discern the truth....

You are a Christian !

....Marduk reveals the hidden truth once again!
bohart

Newport, TN

#154669 Feb 16, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
So you shit your pants and never question your beliefs.
Didn't need a deity to figure that our.
Let me use "The Gift of Marduk" to discern the truth....
You are a Christian !
....Marduk reveals the hidden truth once again!
33,478 posts?get your inbred low IQ sister to empty your drool bucket before it leaks down to the Puerto Ricans in the apartment below you.

“Love much, trust none”

There

#154670 Feb 16, 2013
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
33,478 posts?get your inbred low IQ sister to empty your drool bucket before it leaks down to the Puerto Ricans in the apartment below you.
Yep.

You're a Christian.

Praise Marduk!

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#154671 Feb 17, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>WAG
Phd One Million 1 wrote:
<quoted text>WAG
Are you two part of a gang? The {W}e {A}re {G}ay gang? I have no idea what that has to do with the conversation. I don't care if you are gay or not.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#154672 Feb 17, 2013
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow!, what an incoherent babble, I can't speak for the creator as I am one of the created, but a fair assumption is that one of his creatures that routinely shits his pants is in no position to question his methods .
Are you part of WAG, too?

Australia

#154673 Feb 17, 2013
Mylan wrote:
<quoted text>
You piss all over the pope and if lightning doesn't strike, well... there ya go.
Evidence of absence is evidence of any kind that suggests something is missing or that it does not exist. A simple example of evidence of absence: A baker never fails to put finished pies on her windowsill, so if there is no pie on the windowsill, then no finished pies exist. This can be formulated as modus tollens in propositional logic: P implies Q, but Q is false, therefore P is false.
You can't prove a negative. But then you already knew that. You just use your childish "prove god doesn't exist" excuse because then you think you don't have to prove that god exist. Wrong butthead!!!
You CAN prove that things exist; but you can't PROVE that they don't, nor should anyone have to. A reasonable person would reject a belief without evidence. Only a religious person would be retarded enough to believe in things like unicorns or anything else that has never been proven.
1. If God exists, then he is perfect.
2. If God exists, then he is the creator of the universe.
3. A perfect being can have no needs or wants.
4. If any being created the universe, then he must have had some need or want.
5. Therefore, it is impossible for a perfect being to be the creator of the universe (from 3 and 4).
6. Hence, it is impossible for God to exist (from 1, 2, and 5).
Thankk you. This is perfect :)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Is 'naturalism' a bleak philosophical outlook? ... 12 min Mikko 2
Yes, atheists can be fundamentalists 14 min Mikko 2
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 49 min red and right 2,285
Christians More Supportive of Torture Than Non-... 1 hr Thinking 3
A New Kinder, Gentler Atheism 7 hr _Bad Company 143
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 19 hr polymath257 23,199
Can Atheists Know God Does Not Exist When They ... Sat Yiago 148
More from around the web