Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
148,401 - 148,420 of 224,181 Comments Last updated 12 min ago

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
But jesus had to die for us to be forgiven. god planned it that way and someone had to kill jesus for the rest of us to have a chance.
You sure don't know much about your mythology, do you?
That's why Jesus said Pilate had no real power.

The essential message of Jesus was you had eternal life if you believed it. He was the ultimate spirit guide to a different realm of existence. Instead of a faceless Creator people could never really get a handle on, the creative force put a face on a fellow human. Kind of an idol worship, something that man had a hard time getting past due to his material construction. Maybe the Creator kind of gave up, or realized the error he made in construction. You don't want to believe so, but your atheism is also built upon that material constraint as evinced by your perception of gods and how people worship. There is an intellectual aspect to that, a rising above a strictly active/reactive physical thing, but you are only halfway there in understanding.

Your intellectual concepts are from looking at the stars, not from looking between and beyond them.

There is always something over the next hill.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

Judged:

Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
The proof Atheist need can be found ďIn the beginning.Ē
Thatís the mystery that you need to resolve. Itís not in the theory of evolution but how everything started.
Self starting and self creation of life in the beginning is not possible. The reason I say that it has never been done by scientist, ever. It has not occurred on Mars.
This Earth is so unique we have founding nothing like it in the solar system that is remotely close to where we live. Scientist donít have a clue if there is life elsewhere.
I tend to believe there is life elsewhere but like the Earth they had a designer or life architect. The bible does talk of a new heaven and a new Earth.
We have yet to develop self sustaining fusion, yet we know it happens.

Our sun is but one example.

Does that mean fusion is not possible?

Hopefully you see the absurdity there.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

Anon wrote:
I recall Rick Perry's urging fellow Texans to three days of prayer to alleviate the 2011 drought. All those people locked in prayer, pleading with god for much needed rain and they received - nothing. I wonder how many people thought this will show the world that god does indeed exist? Bet there was a lot of head scratching and doubt after that debacle.
And you know what those idiots forgot? That praying for rain is ineffective. They should know that God doesn't answer prayer that way.

You are stuck in a drought.
You pray to God for it to rain.
Instead God offers you knowledge of how to live through a drought or move to an area where there is no drought.

Those people ignored God's knowledge.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you vote republican?
I forget.
Yes.

You?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

TheBlackSheep wrote:
Jesus didn't die?!?!? Then what did he sacrifice?
No, He didn't die.

That's why we can still pray to Him.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Keep tellin' yourself that, cupcake.
Careful with the pet names, Dave might start hittin on you....

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus didn't die?!?!? Then what did he sacrifice?
Your mythology has more twists and turns than any other that I have studied!
Here, let me help -- their deity turned himself human just so he could pretend to sacrifice himself to himself so that he could forgive his creations of the wrath of himself.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_22597511/di...

The things you have to deal with in life.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

Aerobatty wrote:
We have yet to develop self sustaining fusion, yet we know it happens.
Our sun is but one example.
God is able to develop that.

Oh, I mean nature.....

Because humans can't do it, it HAS TO be able to happen naturally.....
Anon

Lakewood, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
And you know what those idiots forgot? That praying for rain is ineffective. They should know that God doesn't answer prayer that way.
You are stuck in a drought.
You pray to God for it to rain.
Instead God offers you knowledge of how to live through a drought or move to an area where there is no drought.
Those people ignored God's knowledge.
Why wouldn't he answer prayer that way? He could have ended the drought and showed that, yes, miracles do actually happen. A win-win situation all the way around. Instead, he gives tips on how to survive the drought? My god doth commandeth me to run through the sprinkler... Typical christian cop-out.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes.
You?
No.

Who do you think profits from your, and my, tax dollars paying $10,000 for an assault weapon?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

Judged:

Anon wrote:
<quoted text>
Why wouldn't he answer prayer that way? He could have ended the drought and showed that, yes, miracles do actually happen. A win-win situation all the way around. Instead, he gives tips on how to survive the drought? My god doth commandeth me to run through the sprinkler... Typical christian cop-out.
If God simply caused it to rain and effectively ended the drought, the people would have learned nothing.

That would suggest that God would have or could have been doing things like that all throughout humanity's history, but God doesn't work that way, He wants us to learn our own, to advance on our own, to figure out problems on our own. I believe that's why he hasn't "snapped his fingers" and cured cancer.....

Where would humanity be if God fixed all of our problems for us?

We'd probably be a lot like those lazy asses that are federally subsidized that don't want to work, that don't know how to work, that are perpetually lazy, that are no use to anybody, and that don't want to advance their own lives.

That ain't what God wants for us.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
No.
Who do you think profits from your, and my, tax dollars paying $10,000 for an assault weapon?
Crooked politicians.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
If God simply caused it to rain and effectively ended the drought, the people would have learned nothing.
That would suggest that God would have or could have been doing things like that all throughout humanity's history, but God doesn't work that way, He wants us to learn our own, to advance on our own, to figure out problems on our own. I believe that's why he hasn't "snapped his fingers" and cured cancer.....
We'd probably be a lot like those lazy asses that are federally subsidized that don't want to work, that don't know how to work, that are perpetually lazy, that are no use to anybody, and that don't want to advance their own lives.
My irony meter just broke.

You just described a deity who appreciates skeptical scientific thinking more than belief on blind faith.
Anon

Lakewood, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You say this, and yet if it had rained during those three days of prayer, you'd be throwing your hat in the air along with hundreds of thousand of believers declaring that god answered their prayers by providing a miracle. Don't tell me you wouldn't.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

Anon wrote:
<quoted text>
You say this, and yet if it had rained during those three days of prayer, you'd be throwing your hat in the air along with hundreds of thousand of believers declaring that god answered their prayers by providing a miracle. Don't tell me you wouldn't.
I wouldn't.

Because I know God doesn't work like that.

He allows us free will, if He started interfering with our day to day lives, no more fee will.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
That's why Jesus said Pilate had no real power.
The essential message of Jesus was you had eternal life if you believed it. He was the ultimate spirit guide to a different realm of existence. Instead of a faceless Creator people could never really get a handle on, the creative force put a face on a fellow human. Kind of an idol worship, something that man had a hard time getting past due to his material construction. Maybe the Creator kind of gave up, or realized the error he made in construction. You don't want to believe so, but your atheism is also built upon that material constraint as evinced by your perception of gods and how people worship. There is an intellectual aspect to that, a rising above a strictly active/reactive physical thing, but you are only halfway there in understanding.
Your intellectual concepts are from looking at the stars, not from looking between and beyond them.
There is always something over the next hill.
Faceless creator!?!? Are you forgetting that he waked with Adam and sat down with Abraham? Now if jesus had visited every group of people, you may have a leg to stand on, but he didn't and you don't.

I do like how you try to make me out to be the foolish one. LOL! Nice!

The church said that the Earth was the center of the Universe. Science said, "Nope! Nowhere near the center." Yet believers are wiser!

The church said that if a woman could not get pregnant, it was god's will. Science said, "Nope! We have ways around most problems." Yet believers are wiser!

And so on... Yet believers are wiser!

We would still be living in cave and dying of simply cured diseases and conditions.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
My irony meter just broke.
You just described a deity who appreciates skeptical scientific thinking more than belief on blind faith.
Why are you always going on about "blind faith"?

Oh ya, because you're clueless.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
No, He didn't die.
That's why we can still pray to Him.
Again, what did he sacrifice?

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
Here, let me help -- their deity turned himself human just so he could pretend to sacrifice himself to himself so that he could forgive his creations of the wrath of himself.
That is what I am hearing!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••