Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#154422 Feb 15, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
We have yet to develop self sustaining fusion, yet we know it happens.
Our sun is but one example.
God is able to develop that.

Oh, I mean nature.....

Because humans can't do it, it HAS TO be able to happen naturally.....
Anon

Lakewood, OH

#154423 Feb 15, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
And you know what those idiots forgot? That praying for rain is ineffective. They should know that God doesn't answer prayer that way.
You are stuck in a drought.
You pray to God for it to rain.
Instead God offers you knowledge of how to live through a drought or move to an area where there is no drought.
Those people ignored God's knowledge.
Why wouldn't he answer prayer that way? He could have ended the drought and showed that, yes, miracles do actually happen. A win-win situation all the way around. Instead, he gives tips on how to survive the drought? My god doth commandeth me to run through the sprinkler... Typical christian cop-out.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#154424 Feb 15, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes.
You?
No.

Who do you think profits from your, and my, tax dollars paying $10,000 for an assault weapon?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#154425 Feb 15, 2013
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>
Why wouldn't he answer prayer that way? He could have ended the drought and showed that, yes, miracles do actually happen. A win-win situation all the way around. Instead, he gives tips on how to survive the drought? My god doth commandeth me to run through the sprinkler... Typical christian cop-out.
If God simply caused it to rain and effectively ended the drought, the people would have learned nothing.

That would suggest that God would have or could have been doing things like that all throughout humanity's history, but God doesn't work that way, He wants us to learn our own, to advance on our own, to figure out problems on our own. I believe that's why he hasn't "snapped his fingers" and cured cancer.....

Where would humanity be if God fixed all of our problems for us?

We'd probably be a lot like those lazy asses that are federally subsidized that don't want to work, that don't know how to work, that are perpetually lazy, that are no use to anybody, and that don't want to advance their own lives.

That ain't what God wants for us.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#154426 Feb 15, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
No.
Who do you think profits from your, and my, tax dollars paying $10,000 for an assault weapon?
Crooked politicians.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#154427 Feb 15, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
If God simply caused it to rain and effectively ended the drought, the people would have learned nothing.
That would suggest that God would have or could have been doing things like that all throughout humanity's history, but God doesn't work that way, He wants us to learn our own, to advance on our own, to figure out problems on our own. I believe that's why he hasn't "snapped his fingers" and cured cancer.....
We'd probably be a lot like those lazy asses that are federally subsidized that don't want to work, that don't know how to work, that are perpetually lazy, that are no use to anybody, and that don't want to advance their own lives.
My irony meter just broke.

You just described a deity who appreciates skeptical scientific thinking more than belief on blind faith.
Anon

Lakewood, OH

#154428 Feb 15, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You say this, and yet if it had rained during those three days of prayer, you'd be throwing your hat in the air along with hundreds of thousand of believers declaring that god answered their prayers by providing a miracle. Don't tell me you wouldn't.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#154429 Feb 15, 2013
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>
You say this, and yet if it had rained during those three days of prayer, you'd be throwing your hat in the air along with hundreds of thousand of believers declaring that god answered their prayers by providing a miracle. Don't tell me you wouldn't.
I wouldn't.

Because I know God doesn't work like that.

He allows us free will, if He started interfering with our day to day lives, no more fee will.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#154430 Feb 15, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
That's why Jesus said Pilate had no real power.
The essential message of Jesus was you had eternal life if you believed it. He was the ultimate spirit guide to a different realm of existence. Instead of a faceless Creator people could never really get a handle on, the creative force put a face on a fellow human. Kind of an idol worship, something that man had a hard time getting past due to his material construction. Maybe the Creator kind of gave up, or realized the error he made in construction. You don't want to believe so, but your atheism is also built upon that material constraint as evinced by your perception of gods and how people worship. There is an intellectual aspect to that, a rising above a strictly active/reactive physical thing, but you are only halfway there in understanding.
Your intellectual concepts are from looking at the stars, not from looking between and beyond them.
There is always something over the next hill.
Faceless creator!?!? Are you forgetting that he waked with Adam and sat down with Abraham? Now if jesus had visited every group of people, you may have a leg to stand on, but he didn't and you don't.

I do like how you try to make me out to be the foolish one. LOL! Nice!

The church said that the Earth was the center of the Universe. Science said, "Nope! Nowhere near the center." Yet believers are wiser!

The church said that if a woman could not get pregnant, it was god's will. Science said, "Nope! We have ways around most problems." Yet believers are wiser!

And so on... Yet believers are wiser!

We would still be living in cave and dying of simply cured diseases and conditions.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#154431 Feb 15, 2013
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
My irony meter just broke.
You just described a deity who appreciates skeptical scientific thinking more than belief on blind faith.
Why are you always going on about "blind faith"?

Oh ya, because you're clueless.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

#154432 Feb 15, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
No, He didn't die.
That's why we can still pray to Him.
Again, what did he sacrifice?

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

#154433 Feb 15, 2013
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
Here, let me help -- their deity turned himself human just so he could pretend to sacrifice himself to himself so that he could forgive his creations of the wrath of himself.
That is what I am hearing!

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#154434 Feb 15, 2013
TheBlackSheep wrote:
Faceless creator!?!? Are you forgetting that he waked with Adam and sat down with Abraham?
Because he "walked" with Adam & "sat with" Abraham, you've concluded that God has a face?

I've felt God's presence & I've heard His voice, but I did not see Him....

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#154435 Feb 15, 2013
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
The pain & agony of what a human torture & death feels like.
CunningLinguist

Kissimmee, FL

#154436 Feb 15, 2013
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
What sacrifice?

The act of offering something to a deity in propitiation or homage, especially the ritual slaughter of an animal or a person.

A victim offered in this way.
Forfeiture of something highly valued for the sake of one considered to have a greater value or claim.
Something so forfeited.
Relinquishment of something at less than its presumed value.
Something so relinquished.
A loss so sustained.
Baseball. A sacrifice bunt or sacrifice fly.

According to popular myth - Jesus, our most famous bastard, died on a cross, refused to have the decency to stay dead, arose to piss off his one single unmarried parent, and came back to life leaving the spook in the dark. Now they are multiple entities but yet one. Dad & Son are the same. I must admit... this is quite a yarn, but a yarn none the less. Disney did a much better job - JRR was superb.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#154437 Feb 15, 2013
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
Faceless creator!?!? Are you forgetting that he waked with Adam and sat down with Abraham? Now if jesus had visited every group of people, you may have a leg to stand on, but he didn't and you don't.
I do like how you try to make me out to be the foolish one. LOL! Nice!
The church said that the Earth was the center of the Universe. Science said, "Nope! Nowhere near the center." Yet believers are wiser!
The church said that if a woman could not get pregnant, it was god's will. Science said, "Nope! We have ways around most problems." Yet believers are wiser!
And so on... Yet believers are wiser!
We would still be living in cave and dying of simply cured diseases and conditions.
Your perspectives are too warped to see straight.

You are wrong about science and the center. They have done ALL their measurements and determinations based upon here. Why they have come up with your magical poof Big Bang and expanding universe.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

#154438 Feb 15, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Because he "walked" with Adam & "sat with" Abraham, you've concluded that God has a face?
I've felt God's presence & I've heard His voice, but I did not see Him....
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
The pain & agony of what a human torture & death feels like.
Obviously, we are reading from different bibles or more accurately, I am read from the bible and you are not.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

#154439 Feb 15, 2013
CunningLinguist wrote:
<quoted text>
What sacrifice?
The act of offering something to a deity in propitiation or homage, especially the ritual slaughter of an animal or a person.
A victim offered in this way.
Forfeiture of something highly valued for the sake of one considered to have a greater value or claim.
Something so forfeited.
Relinquishment of something at less than its presumed value.
Something so relinquished.
A loss so sustained.
Baseball. A sacrifice bunt or sacrifice fly.
According to popular myth - Jesus, our most famous bastard, died on a cross, refused to have the decency to stay dead, arose to piss off his one single unmarried parent, and came back to life leaving the spook in the dark. Now they are multiple entities but yet one. Dad & Son are the same. I must admit... this is quite a yarn, but a yarn none the less. Disney did a much better job - JRR was superb.
I do like the excuse that since we do not have the holy spirit guiding us, we cannot understand the bible; yet there are far too many opposing 'christian' sects for that to be true.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

#154440 Feb 15, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Your perspectives are too warped to see straight.
You are wrong about science and the center. They have done ALL their measurements and determinations based upon here. Why they have come up with your magical poof Big Bang and expanding universe.
"You are wrong about science and the center." We are the center of the universe? Really?

We are not ready to discuss the BBT or the TOE or Abiogenesis! We have a plethora of proof for many simple science facts that the bible got wrong or ignored.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#154441 Feb 15, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Why are you always going on about "blind faith"?
Oh ya, because you're clueless.
Ad hominem is a sure sign that you have nothing on content.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 26 min red and right 2,593
Christians More Supportive of Torture Than Non-... 3 hr QUITTNER Dec 24 2014 5
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 4 hr ChristineM 1,449
Can Atheists Know God Does Not Exist When They ... 6 hr polymath257 159
A New Kinder, Gentler Atheism 8 hr _Bad Company 192
Atheism: On the Rise? (Jan '13) 9 hr ratboyhunter 34
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 11 hr thetruth 23,228
More from around the web