Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#154340 Feb 15, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Then you are not a freethinker.
Garbage. go by what the *evidence* shows or suggests.
Centuries ago, someone like you would probably sit there and say "humans will never fly, that's impossible!".
Centuries ago, we knew that flight was possible: birds fly all the time. We have yet to see *any* evidence of a supernatural.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#154341 Feb 15, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Cute and sends a message.
But one canít always fix terminal cancer. Thatís when itís time to pray or if you are an Atheist. Itís time to die without hope.
Let's see how well your prayers work! What sign will you pray for that we all can witness?
Thinking

Yeovil, UK

#154342 Feb 15, 2013
One can't ever fix terminal cancer. Otherwise it wouldn't be terminal.

If it wasn't for christianity imposing the Dark Ages on Europe we might've cracked cancer a couple of centuries ago.

My positive contribution to future generations is not to prey, but to leave my house to cancer research. I'm guessing that's the best part of a century away, so in the meantime I contribute heavily to cancer research.
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Cute and sends a message.
But one canít always fix terminal cancer. Thatís when itís time to pray or if you are an Atheist. Itís time to die without hope.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#154344 Feb 15, 2013
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
Let's see how well your prayers work! What sign will you pray for that we all can witness?
I don't have to pray for a sign. It's going to come anyway and you all will witness it in your appointed time.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#154345 Feb 15, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh boy.... Didn't you JUST ridicule ID as being only a hypothesis? And now you defend abiogenesis as if its fact?!
Life exists, dipshit.
Yes.
It's a fact.
Unless you want to claim that either life doesn't exist or that we contain some kind of atoms that don't exist in non-living material.
Name one single atom that exists in living material that doesn't exist in non-living material.
Otherwise, STFU, moron.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#154346 Feb 15, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't have to pray for a sign. It's going to come anyway and you all will witness it in your appointed time.
I cancelled my appointment.

Seems I work better alone.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#154347 Feb 15, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I donít believe in Sasquatch. Some people actually do. I donít give a red rats ass if they do. Iím not on the Big Foot topix channel fighting with those who claim they saw a Sasquatch. I simply do not care what they want to believe.
Itís a bit humorous to me but hey whatever. Iím not going to stand before congress and try to enact laws to prevent people from believing in Sasquatch. If I was an Atheist I would feel the same way about religion.
But Atheist are really bothered that people believe in Christ. To the point they donít want us on the earth sharing the same air. The Germans felt the same way about the Jews. So they came up with the ultimate solution.
Who is trying to legislate away your right to believe in any foolishness you like?

And I have yet to hear of the Loch Ness monster or sasquatch trying to pass laws or teach creationism.

That's why I don't bother arguing about them.

But you already know this. You just have no valid arguments, so you wish we'd all just shut up and quit pointing out how batshit crazy you are.
Thinking

Yeovil, UK

#154348 Feb 15, 2013
Bollocks.
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#154349 Feb 15, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Sweets, prayer works the same way. If you don't make the effort you don't get the light. It doesnít work if you donít try.
Then I have to say that you guys really need to step up your efforts.

Either that, or stop praying that 15,000,000 children die of starvation every year, among other things.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#154350 Feb 15, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
The switches still work. Open or close. It works like your mind.
Turn the switch to the ON position when you want to see.
http://www.ehow.com/how_2108351_install-two-w...

It can get more complicated than that.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#154351 Feb 15, 2013
Mylan wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry sparky, science & religion is NOT cohesive... Just the opposite. The last thing that religion wants is for science to prove that your "god" does not exist. That would put them out of business sparky.
I think you meant to say pseudo-science & religion.
Of course they can co-exist, so long as one does not try to pass itself off as the other.

For example, don't ask one of the books in the Bible, such as Genesis, to furnish you with scientific facts or information about how old the earth is.

In turn, don't ask a science book to teach you how to pray.

I see no reason why God could not have created the basic building blocks for life and then allowed it to continue independently from Him.

I believe in both God and evolution, Who's to say evolution isn't part of God's plan?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#154352 Feb 15, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheist are not alone in caring what radical extreme terrorist do. It may be a shock to you but I have never been to a terrorist school nor have I been trained to fly airplanes into buildings. If I remember the United States came under attack that day, all of us citizens of this country were the enemy.
I also stand with you when it comes to choices in birth control. I canít speak for Catholics but I would bet a lot of them practice birth control. Iím against abortion as a birth control method. Mainly because prevention is always the preferred and safest method. Abortion is a ghastly method.
I stand with Atheist when it comes to separation of Church and State. So far Iím 3 for 3 on your side of things. Now I disagree with you on what bothers Atheist when it comes to Christianity. Lets face it Christianity is the only religion Atheist are openly against. Because Christians wonít blow your legs off at the kneecaps like the Muslims will.
So we take the brunt of your hate. Which is more in line with the Hatfieldís and McCoyís. Atheist have been fighting Christians and Christianity for so long they have forgot what it is they are fighting about. They just know they are supposed to hate Christians as evidence of the post we receive here on topix.
Iíve seen here in the last 5 years in my city. Atheist leaders tried to prevent a Church from operating on the main road in town. They tried to zone out the church. The church owned the property and the building but the city government said,ďNo churches here, Sorry you have to build on the back side of town where no one can see you.Ē
Iím happy to say the City lost when it was realized the Federal Government prevents municipalities from zoning out churches. So Iíve seen first hand Atheist try to prevent religious freedom. We are certainly hated by Atheist.
To the point Atheist are bothered about sharing the same air.
This is a long rant I apologize. Ever since the 1700ís Christianity has accepted science and scientific research. We are living in modern times and yes Christians support science. That doesnít mean we support pseudo science and if you study your evolution history. You will find it has been chocked full of frauds, and forged science. More so than any other science.
Nicely put, Eagle. Well done.

Location hidden

#154353 Feb 15, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Then I have to say that you guys really need to step up your efforts.
Either that, or stop praying that 15,000,000 children die of starvation every year, among other things.
"The Large Hadron Collider (LHC) is the world's largest and highest-energy particle accelerator. It was built by the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN) from 1998 to 2008, with the aim of allowing physicists to test the predictions of different theories of particle physics and high-energy physics, and particularly prove or disprove the existence of the hypothesized Higgs boson[1] and of the large family of new particles predicted by supersymmetric theories."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Large_Hadron_Col...

How many of those children died because the money to feed them was diverted to build a toy for theoretical physicists?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#154354 Feb 15, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Name one just one so called atheist leader that said his crimes were in the name of atheism.
There are none.

Nobody would stand before a crowd, hoping to get elected, and announce that they're an atheist.

Atheism is not a cause worth dying for.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#154355 Feb 15, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
But you insist evolution is a myth.
No, I think parts of evolution are assumption.

I've never said anything about evolution being a myth, you inserted that bullshit.
And you think science and your religion are compatible!?
Absolutely.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#154356 Feb 15, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
No.
I will ask you to describe your god, meaning your interpretation of the Christian god.
YOu just refuse to type "God", don't you?

Are you ascared?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#154357 Feb 15, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
Garbage. go by what the *evidence* shows or suggests.

Centuries ago, we knew that flight was possible: birds fly all the time. We have yet to see *any* evidence of a supernatural.
See? You're not a freethinker. You're indoctrinated or brainwashed to think that something is not possibl unless there is evidence for it.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#154358 Feb 15, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:

Oh boy.... Didn't you JUST ridicule ID as being only a hypothesis? And now you defend abiogenesis as if its fact?!
Aerobatty wrote:
Life exists, dipshit.
Yes.
It's a fact.
Unless you want to claim that either life doesn't exist or that we contain some kind of atoms that don't exist in non-living material.
Name one single atom that exists in living material that doesn't exist in non-living material.
Otherwise, STFU, moron.
Where the f_ck did you get from me that life doesn't exist?!

Quit being such a brick & try to pay attention.

YOU ridicule ID as only a hypothesis.

Then YOU praise abiogenisis as if it's fact.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#154359 Feb 15, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
Who is trying to legislate away your right to believe in any foolishness you like?
Atheists.

Y'all started it back in the 60's when school prayer was banned.

And now y'all are whining that the President hosts public prayers...

Hows you're search for Bigfoot going?

Location hidden

#154361 Feb 15, 2013
"Computing resources

Data produced by LHC, as well as LHC-related simulation, was estimated at approximately 15 petabytes per year (max throughput while running not stated).[90]

The LHC Computing Grid[91] was constructed to handle the massive amounts of data produced. It incorporated both private fiber optic cable links and existing high-speed portions of the public Internet, enabling data transfer from CERN to academic institutions around the world.[92]

The Open Science Grid is used as the primary infrastructure in the United States, and also as part of an interoperable federation with the LHC Computing Grid.

The distributed computing project LHC@home was started to support the construction and calibration of the LHC. The project uses the BOINC platform, enabling anybody with an Internet connection and a computer running Mac OSX, Windows or Linux,[93] to use their computer's idle time to simulate how particles will travel in the tunnel. With this information, the scientists will be able to determine how the magnets should be calibrated to gain the most stable "orbit" of the beams in the ring.[94] In August 2011, a second application went live (Test4Theory) which performs simulations against which to compare actual test data, to determine confidence levels of the results."

This is modern theoretical physics. Computer simulations built upon pre-conceived math models.

Smash and see if it splatters they way you think it will. If not, smash again. They do that with a lot of physics things. HAARP for one. Push the envelope.

The paragraph after that quoted deals with the concerns about doomsday. They assured it wouldn't happen. If they had that much knowledge about reactions, why did the need such am expensive machine?

Just say no to mad scientists.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 4 min woodtick57 2,303
Yes, atheists can be fundamentalists 2 hr Thinking 3
A New Kinder, Gentler Atheism 2 hr TheHeadlines 145
Is 'naturalism' a bleak philosophical outlook? ... 11 hr Mikko 2
Christians More Supportive of Torture Than Non-... 12 hr Thinking 3
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) Sat polymath257 23,199
Can Atheists Know God Does Not Exist When They ... Sat Yiago 148
More from around the web