Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 247599 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Thinking

Hounslow, UK

#154402 Feb 15, 2013
More was wasted on building churches, mosques, synagogues.

By contrast, the LHC can benefit everyone.
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
"The Large Hadron Collider (LHC) is the world's largest and highest-energy particle accelerator. It was built by the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN) from 1998 to 2008, with the aim of allowing physicists to test the predictions of different theories of particle physics and high-energy physics, and particularly prove or disprove the existence of the hypothesized Higgs boson[1] and of the large family of new particles predicted by supersymmetric theories."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Large_Hadron_Col...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Large_Hadron_Col...
How many of those children died because the money to feed them was diverted to build a toy for theoretical physicists?

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#154403 Feb 15, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Absolutely not!
But jesus had to die for us to be forgiven. god planned it that way and someone had to kill jesus for the rest of us to have a chance.

You sure don't know much about your mythology, do you?

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#154404 Feb 15, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Actually it was mainly theists who were behind forced prayer from being removed from school.
I guess Fox News just wants you to blame everything on atheists eh?
<quoted text>
Yes, it's fun. Those damn Catholics.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#154405 Feb 15, 2013
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
But jesus had to die for us to be forgiven. god planned it that way and someone had to kill jesus for the rest of us to have a chance.
Ya but I'm not Jesus. And Jesus didn't die, so.....

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#154406 Feb 15, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Why would a totalitarian leader like Stalin care? He said whatever the hell he wanted to whenever the hell he wanted to. You are dodging the question show where any of the murderous totalitarian leaders ever said or even were that they were killing in the name of atheism?
If you are unable your argument is null and void.
<quoted text>
Not "in the name of" atheism, but in pursuit of an state which was atheist.

Atheists have killed plenty of people. Stalin, Pol Pot, and Mao Tse Tung were all atheists, and killed around 20 million, 1.5 million, and 40 million respectively.

Do some reading on the Reign of Terror (1793-4) in France...

The enactment of a law on October 21, 1793 made all suspected priests and all persons who harbored them liable to death on sight. The climax was reached with the celebration of the Goddess "Reason" in Notre Dame Cathedral on November 10. Because dissent was now regarded as counterrevolutionary, extremist enragés such as Hébert and moderate Montagnard indulgents such as Danton were guillotined in the spring of 1794. On June 7 Robespierre, who had previously condemned the Cult of Reason, advocated a new state religion and recommended that the Convention acknowledge the existence of God. On the next day, the worship of the deistic Supreme Being was inaugurated as an official aspect of the Revolution. Compared with Hébert's somewhat popular festivals, this austere new religion of Virtue was received with signs of hostility by an amazed Parisian public.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#154407 Feb 15, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus didn't die?!?!? Then what did he sacrifice?

Your mythology has more twists and turns than any other that I have studied!

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#154408 Feb 15, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You like to pretend that prayer doesn't work, huh?
Believe me, it's not much of a stretch.
Anon

Lakewood, OH

#154409 Feb 15, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You like to pretend that prayer doesn't work, huh?
I recall Rick Perry's urging fellow Texans to three days of prayer to alleviate the 2011 drought. All those people locked in prayer, pleading with god for much needed rain and they received - nothing. I wonder how many people thought this will show the world that god does indeed exist? Bet there was a lot of head scratching and doubt after that debacle.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#154410 Feb 15, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Keep tellin' yourself that, cupcake.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#154411 Feb 15, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Absolutely not!
Some christians would disagree with you.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#154412 Feb 15, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
That depends on who's paying for it.
If a citizen pays maybe $500-$2000, you can bet the government is "paying" $10,000.....
Do you vote republican?

I forget.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#154413 Feb 15, 2013
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
<Christian>"It's metaphorically and allegorically hyperbolical simile and rarely literal..."

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#154414 Feb 15, 2013
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
That's why Jesus said Pilate had no real power.

The essential message of Jesus was you had eternal life if you believed it. He was the ultimate spirit guide to a different realm of existence. Instead of a faceless Creator people could never really get a handle on, the creative force put a face on a fellow human. Kind of an idol worship, something that man had a hard time getting past due to his material construction. Maybe the Creator kind of gave up, or realized the error he made in construction. You don't want to believe so, but your atheism is also built upon that material constraint as evinced by your perception of gods and how people worship. There is an intellectual aspect to that, a rising above a strictly active/reactive physical thing, but you are only halfway there in understanding.

Your intellectual concepts are from looking at the stars, not from looking between and beyond them.

There is always something over the next hill.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#154415 Feb 15, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
The proof Atheist need can be found “In the beginning.”
That’s the mystery that you need to resolve. It’s not in the theory of evolution but how everything started.
Self starting and self creation of life in the beginning is not possible. The reason I say that it has never been done by scientist, ever. It has not occurred on Mars.
This Earth is so unique we have founding nothing like it in the solar system that is remotely close to where we live. Scientist don’t have a clue if there is life elsewhere.
I tend to believe there is life elsewhere but like the Earth they had a designer or life architect. The bible does talk of a new heaven and a new Earth.
We have yet to develop self sustaining fusion, yet we know it happens.

Our sun is but one example.

Does that mean fusion is not possible?

Hopefully you see the absurdity there.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#154416 Feb 15, 2013
Anon wrote:
I recall Rick Perry's urging fellow Texans to three days of prayer to alleviate the 2011 drought. All those people locked in prayer, pleading with god for much needed rain and they received - nothing. I wonder how many people thought this will show the world that god does indeed exist? Bet there was a lot of head scratching and doubt after that debacle.
And you know what those idiots forgot? That praying for rain is ineffective. They should know that God doesn't answer prayer that way.

You are stuck in a drought.
You pray to God for it to rain.
Instead God offers you knowledge of how to live through a drought or move to an area where there is no drought.

Those people ignored God's knowledge.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#154417 Feb 15, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you vote republican?
I forget.
Yes.

You?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#154418 Feb 15, 2013
TheBlackSheep wrote:
No, He didn't die.

That's why we can still pray to Him.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#154419 Feb 15, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Keep tellin' yourself that, cupcake.
Careful with the pet names, Dave might start hittin on you....

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#154420 Feb 15, 2013
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
Here, let me help -- their deity turned himself human just so he could pretend to sacrifice himself to himself so that he could forgive his creations of the wrath of himself.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#154421 Feb 15, 2013
http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_22597511/di...

The things you have to deal with in life.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 20 min Gary Coaldigger 12,821
News As an atheist, how do I maintain my relationshi... 1 hr NoahLikesPi 41
News Atheism, the Bible and sexual orientation 1 hr NoahLikesPi 20
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 2 hr Eagle 12 2,356
News In America, atheists are still in the closet (Apr '12) 2 hr Eagle 12 47,848
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 6 hr macumazahn 20,900
Proof of God for the Atheist 13 hr Amused 130
More from around the web