Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
148,281 - 148,300 of 226,360 Comments Last updated 25 min ago
Thinking

Yeovil, UK

#154292 Feb 14, 2013
Agreed- because of evidence.

According to Professor Brian Cox's latest programmes, the chance that we came from "multiple common ancestors" (for wont of a better term) is around 1 in 10 to the 40th power.
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
No. The theory of evolution stands on it's own. The logical extension of the theory leads one to consider common ancestor.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#154293 Feb 14, 2013
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
A supernatural entity creating man from a lump of clay is magic, poorly written magic at that.
That is, unless you have real verifiable proof of this event. Not speculation and wild hand waving, but independently verifiable evidence?
No? Okay ... magic.
Do you realize how much you are just repeating buzzwords and not really thinking?

BTW, if and when man does create life from raw chemicals, then you lose.

If we can create it by design, then something could have created us. Simple as that.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#154294 Feb 14, 2013
Hedonist wrote:
As far as abiogenesis is concerned, we have a long way to go to say there is a high level of confidence in any particular working hypothesis, but every working hypothesis has a thousand percent more evidence that any supernatural magic explanation, since magic has 0 available evidence.
Would you change your tune if some scientists or group of scientists came up with a way to test for the supernatural and discovered that it is in fact real?

Would you change your mind if some sort of "God test" implied that God is real?

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#154296 Feb 14, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Would you change your tune if some scientists or group of scientists came up with a way to test for the supernatural and discovered that it is in fact real?
Would you change your mind if some sort of "God test" implied that God is real?
I, for one, would. But I don't expect that there will be any testable hypotheses for a supernatural nor any evidence for a deity.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#154297 Feb 14, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Honey, your car wouldn't work without fire & gasoline.....
No but my car works just FINE without religion. That's the point, moron.

Location hidden

#154298 Feb 14, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Why don't magnets stick to stainless steel?
In a word, nickel.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#154299 Feb 14, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
There is only one type of Dave Nelson. Geriatrically speaking.
He needs Geritol.
JJ doesn't..

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#154300 Feb 14, 2013
Mylan wrote:
<quoted text>In a word, nickel.
Nickel is magnetic.

Location hidden

#154301 Feb 14, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
The theory of evolution hinges on the assumption that all life on Earth comes from a single common ancestor.
That's where your little theory blows chunks.
Only for those who are ignorant or religious. Hey wait, that's the same thing....
Imhotep

United States

#154302 Feb 14, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
God.
Pick one!

http://www.godchecker.com/

Our Mythology Encyclopedia features over 3,700 weird and wonderful Supreme Beings, Demons, Spirits and Fabulous Beasts from all over the world. Explore ancient legends and folklore, and discover Gods of everything from Fertility to Fluff with Godchecker!

Mrs. Betty explains Christian marriage
A woman known throughout Christendom for her joie d'après vivre!

http://m.youtube.com/watch...

Location hidden

#154303 Feb 14, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
I, for one, would. But I don't expect that there will be any testable hypotheses for a supernatural nor any evidence for a deity.
Then you are not a freethinker.

Centuries ago, someone like you would probably sit there and say "humans will never fly, that's impossible!".

Location hidden

#154304 Feb 14, 2013
Mylan wrote:
<quoted text>No but my car works just FINE without religion. That's the point, moron.
No, the point is that some things are cohesive, even things you wouldn't expect - like gas & fire, science & religion.

If you weren't such a blockhead, you'd understand that.

Location hidden

#154305 Feb 14, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
Pick one!
First - Aero asked me that question.
Second - Aero knows I'm Christian.
Third - Now you do, too.
Fourth - I still expect both of you morons to ask me "Which god?" .........

O_o
Imhotep

United States

#154307 Feb 14, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Bullshit.
If that were true, you atheists wouldn't spend so much time arguing with theists and arguing about religion and arguing whether or not God is real.
If you really truly didn't care, you wouldn't be here.
We wonder if you atheists spend so much time arguing whether or not the Loch Ness monster is real.
Not really RR

We find theists extremely delusional and highly entertaining. We know you feel Jesus with you as you type. Yes... Your obsession shows! And a good 'straight man' is hard to find

God bots seem to find atheists irresistible. Why?

We ignore all that most theists believe, yet find their self inflicted mental illness, oddly fascinating, worthy of satire and critical skepticism.

Dogma addicts
Imhotep

United States

#154308 Feb 14, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
First - Aero asked me that question.
Second - Aero knows I'm Christian.
Third - Now you do, too.
Fourth - I still expect both of you morons to ask me "Which god?" .........
O_o
Allah works for me during the day.
Krishna has 'my six' during the evenings.
Morpheus provides solid sleep
Aphrodite shhh! That's private!
Baal is my gardener and Lucifer provides heat on cold nights.

Big Daddy, Junior & da Spook are conflicting personalities. Look at their followers posts!

Tis a celestial mental disorder and the other gods are complaining!
Imhotep

United States

#154309 Feb 14, 2013
Jesus walks into a hotel, throws three nails on the counter and says "can you put me up for the night"

Segway to...

Jesus and Moses were strolling by the Red Sea, when Moses nudged Jesus and said, "Psst. Hey, Jesus, I've still got it."

Moses turned towards the Red Sea and lifted his staff on high. The angels began to sing, the gentle sea breeze turned into a raging gale, and the waters of the Red Sea were parted. Moses lowered his arms and, with a smug grin on his face, turned back to face Jesus.

Jesus scoffed. "Moses, my boy," said the Messiah, "I have still got it." And with a flourish of his robes, Jesus stepped onto the waters of the Red Sea and began to stride across without so much as a ripple.

But to Moses' amazement, halfway across the water, Jesus suddenly began to sink. He splashed into the water and began to choke and flounder as the waves tossed him around. Moses grumbled at Jesus' sillyness and parted the water once more. Moses helped Jesus back to shore, as the Saviour hacked up salt water.

When they had finally reached shore, Moses slapped a consoling hand on Jesus' shoulder and said, "Don't worry about it, Lord. Last time you tried it, you didn't have holes in your feet."

;)

ZAP!
I see another burning bush on my lawn.
LQTM

Location hidden

#154310 Feb 14, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
No, the point is that some things are cohesive, even things you wouldn't expect - like gas & fire, science & religion.
If you weren't such a blockhead, you'd understand that.
Sorry sparky, science & religion is NOT cohesive... Just the opposite. The last thing that religion wants is for science to prove that your "god" does not exist. That would put them out of business sparky.

I think you meant to say pseudo-science & religion.

Location hidden

#154311 Feb 14, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
Jesus walks into a hotel, throws three nails on the counter and says "can you put me up for the night"
LQTM
Jesus is hanging on the cross, and peter is standing in the crowd watching him.

Jesus calls to him "Peter! Come to me!" and Peter runs forward.

The Romans beat him mercilessly with their spears and throw him back. Again,

Jesus cries out "Peter! Come to your savior!" and Peter rushes forward, to again be pounded silly by bored roman guards.

Dazed, Peter hears Jesus call him once more and surges through the guards, filled with holy strength.&#8232;"Yes my lord! What do you need o son of god?!!" he cries...

&#8232;And Jesus says: "Peter...I can see your house from here."

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#154312 Feb 14, 2013
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>Yo kitten!
Happy V-Day Clown!

:*

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#154313 Feb 14, 2013
To the "why isn't stainless steel magnetic?" ... since it's a pain to find older posts.

Only the 300 series is not magnetic, because it contains molybdenum, a preservative for metals but it is not magnetic due to the atomic structure, for something to be magnetic it must have a specific balance of electromagnetic valence.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
I left Creationism! Ask me anything! 42 min Patrick 3
The Ultimate Evidence of God 1 hr Ben_Masada 57
Atheists forgetting the meaning of freedom 2 hr Patrick 52
How much faith it takes to believe in Evolution. 2 hr Patrick 173
Atheists that tout free thinking use bully tact... 2 hr Patrick 14
Our world came from nothing? 2 hr Patrick 425
Should Uninformed Opinion Be Respected? 2 hr Patrick 31
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••