Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
148,261 - 148,280 of 226,341 Comments Last updated 1 hr ago

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#154270 Feb 14, 2013
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, you guy(s) got us! Atheism is a religion. We have faith that there is no god. You guy(s) are so smart.
Lookie here, folks.

An honest atheist.

**checks the sky for flying pigs**

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#154271 Feb 14, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
There is only one type of Dave Nelson. Geriatrically speaking.
We are everywhere, sweetness.

Gee, it's raining outside. Pretty rare here anymore.

No wonder my bones are aching.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#154272 Feb 14, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> Actually evolution is a fact...and a theory.
But since we quit naming facts laws , there is no law of evolution.
But scientifically there's no difference between from Newtons second and the observed fact of biological evolution.
Don't confuse the sheep.

That biota on this planet changes over time is a fact. Our current understanding of the mechanisms that drive this change is a theory.

Location hidden

#154273 Feb 14, 2013
River Tam wrote:
There is only one type of Dave Nelson. Geriatrically speaking.
he

hehehe

HA HA HA HA !!!!

(gotsta give credit where credits due)

“ecrasez l'infame”

Atlanta, Georgia

#154274 Feb 14, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
You are no doubt an intelligent man. Why does it bother you that Christians and others choose to live free and believe in religious freedom?
What do you hope to accomplish here?
You have the right to believe how you want and we want you to have that freedom.
Yet you seem to be bothered that we are enjoying the same air your breath.
Christianity is not imposing upon you. No one is making you do anything. Actually Atheism has done more for Christianity than you can image. By enforcing separation from Church and State. Other non Christian faiths are prevented from gaining a foothold in our governments and schools. That Sir is a blessing in disguise.
Now if we could get the schools to throw out the occult and Greek Mythology we would be doing much better.
I, and probably most atheists, don't really care what most theists believe.

We care about actions they take premised on those beliefs. When 19 theists, inspired by their belief in god and their interpretation of how god wants them to behave, murder over 3,000 people by flying planes into tall buildings, atheists care about what theists believe. When theists insist on having myths taught in school as science, atheists care about what theists believe. When Muslims treat women like property, engage in honor killings, prevent women from getting educations, and generally limit their ability to achieve their full human potential, atheists care. When Christians try to prevent women who may or may not share their religion from deciding whether to have a child, and even want to prevent women from having access to contraceptives, atheists care. When the religious state of Israel and the theocratic state of Iran threaten mass destruction because of their beliefs, atheists care. When theists insist on public prayer being included in non-religious activities, atheists care. When theists insist on having the government enforce their religious dogma as laws applicable to all, or demand government endorsement of religion, atheists care.

BUT, when theists gather in their churches to pray, atheists don't care. When theists pray before meals in their own homes, atheists don't care. When theists pray silently to themselves in school, atheists don't care. When Theists raise their own money to build new churches, atheists don't care. When theists erect nativity scenes on private property, without public funds, atheists don't care. When theists go door to door to pass out religious literature, atheists don't care. When theists erect billboards with religious messages on them, atheists don't care.

BUT, while atheists respect your right to believe what you want, and practice your religion freely, we do not feel bound to respect the actual absurdities you believe, any more than you do the beliefs of followers of other religions, and we retain our own free speech rights to laugh at you. When you come here and post the 1,000,000th iteration of Pascal's Wager, thinking it is some profound new insight you just thought up, we reserve the right to howl in derision, roll our eyes, or simply point out all the holes in your logic (or all three).

“ecrasez l'infame”

Atlanta, Georgia

#154275 Feb 14, 2013
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Hedonist , saw where you were talking about the standard of science being met, and if you don't its the same as voodoo. Lets talk abiogenesis, it doesn't have a testable hypothesis and it isn't repeatable, therefore according to science its as provable as voodoo...But of course you could still believe in it.
Who said I do?

"Belief" isn't even the right term for science. "Confidence" would be more accurate.

I have confidence in science is direct proportion to the amount of available independently verifiable evidence there is to support a given scientific position.

As far as abiogenesis is concerned, we have a long way to go to say there is a high level of confidence in any particular working hypothesis, but every working hypothesis has a thousand percent more evidence that any supernatural magic explanation, since magic has 0 available evidence.

Location hidden

#154276 Feb 14, 2013
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
Life being on this planet is dependent on the origin of life. Duh. The question is, was it through biochemical interactions or supernatural magic.
Why do you say supernatural "magic"?

The only "magic" is your appearance of a universe out of nowhere in a poof. Even Bible God took 6 days at least. That means it was constructed. Hard work. Had to rest, even.

I swear, you people really have some head and perception problems.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Atlanta, Georgia

#154277 Feb 14, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You are a bunch of discombubulated in your logic, or whatever it is. Plues, the burden of proof is really not on me. It is on those that claim life can come from raw chemicals. If it didn't, then the default is it was created by something, just like our experience with matter. We can shape and transform it. It doesn't do it all by itself. They will at least have to create conditions that existed at the time, and get at least a spark. No maybe could haves.
Your links were not to the message. They were to the page. On Firefox you will right click on the message number and select Copy Link Location for the particular message.
But I'm not making that claim. I'm claiming that it is prudent to have guarded confidence in hypotheses which are backed by some measure of evidence and ignore those that aren't.

If there is evidence for supernatural magic that can be independently verified, I'd appreciate knowing about it. Until then, I see no reason to consider it.

PS: On both Google Chrome and IE Explorer my links work just like your to point to the correct post number.
Thinking

Yeovil, UK

#154278 Feb 14, 2013
Why doesn't the all powerful being solve it first?
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
The Biblical story is mankind was cast out on his own after he got to big for his britches. The Creator was nice enough to make him some clothes before he threw man and the clothes out the door.
If man is so smart, why doesn't he solve that problem?

“ecrasez l'infame”

Atlanta, Georgia

#154280 Feb 14, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
....Self starting and self creation of life in the beginning is not possible....
And you know that how, exactly?

Location hidden

#154281 Feb 14, 2013
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
Life being on this planet is dependent on the origin of life. Duh. The question is, was it through biochemical interactions or supernatural magic.
The theory of evolution hinges on the assumption that all life on Earth comes from a single common ancestor.

That's where your little theory blows chunks.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#154282 Feb 14, 2013
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
We care about actions they take premised on those beliefs. When 19 theists, inspired by their belief in god and their interpretation of how god wants them to behave, murder over 3,000 people by flying planes into tall buildings, atheists care about what theists believe. When theists insist on having myths taught in school as science, atheists care about what theists believe. When Muslims treat women like property, engage in honor killings, prevent women from getting educations, and generally limit their ability to achieve their full human potential, atheists care. When Christians try to prevent women who may or may not share their religion from deciding whether to have a child, and even want to prevent women from having access to contraceptives, atheists care. When the religious state of Israel and the theocratic state of Iran threaten mass destruction because of their beliefs, atheists care. When theists insist on public prayer being included in non-religious activities, atheists care. When theists insist on having the government enforce their religious dogma as laws applicable to all, or demand government endorsement of religion, atheists care.
BUT, when theists gather in their churches to pray, atheists don't care. When theists pray before meals in their own homes, atheists don't care. When theists pray silently to themselves in school, atheists don't care. When Theists raise their own money to build new churches, atheists don't care. When theists erect nativity scenes on private property, without public funds, atheists don't care. When theists go door to door to pass out religious literature, atheists don't care. When theists erect billboards with religious messages on them, atheists don't care.
BUT, while atheists respect your right to believe what you want, and practice your religion freely, we do not feel bound to respect the actual absurdities you believe, any more than you do the beliefs of followers of other religions, and we retain our own free speech rights to laugh at you. When you come here and post the 1,000,000th iteration of Pascal's Wager, thinking it is some profound new insight you just thought up, we reserve the right to howl in derision, roll our eyes, or simply point out all the holes in your logic (or all three).
That is way too heavy to them... er I mean him!

He just hears, we hate god.

Location hidden

#154284 Feb 14, 2013
Hedonist wrote:
I didn't say we would.
Yes you did. You said "when we find life on Mars", you did not say "if we find life on Mars".
I asked what your reaction would be. So, show us you have such an open mind. What would your reaction be assuming we actually did find clear evidence that there has been life on Mars?
That's better.

Now "if" we find life on Mars, I think that would be absolutely fantastically cool!

Location hidden

#154285 Feb 14, 2013
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
But I'm not making that claim. I'm claiming that it is prudent to have guarded confidence in hypotheses which are backed by some measure of evidence and ignore those that aren't.
If there is evidence for supernatural magic that can be independently verified, I'd appreciate knowing about it. Until then, I see no reason to consider it.
PS: On both Google Chrome and IE Explorer my links work just like your to point to the correct post number.
Did you miss your meds today?

There goes that magic thing again.

Your whole "truth" and "prudence" is the acceptance of dreams as reality.

Show us life made totally from raw chemicals either naturally or in the lab.

Location hidden

#154286 Feb 14, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Why doesn't the all powerful being solve it first?
<quoted text>
Why should it?

“ecrasez l'infame”

Atlanta, Georgia

#154287 Feb 14, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm an optimist.
You're apparently a pessimist.
I like to believe that Americans are indivisible. We are ONE nation, ONE people & most of us have the same goal in life - to be happy, healthy & worry free.
But go on, keep fighting the good fight to separate us as much as you can.
I'm a veteran and I believe in this country. I'm also an active volunteer in my community in local government planning and management. So I don't just talk about it.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Be a good little sheep atheist.
And yet, your religious leaders often refer to their congregations as the "flock." Go figure.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Atlanta, Georgia

#154288 Feb 14, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
The theory of evolution hinges on the assumption that all life on Earth comes from a single common ancestor.
That's where your little theory blows chunks.
No. The theory of evolution stands on it's own. The logical extension of the theory leads one to consider common ancestor.

Location hidden

#154289 Feb 14, 2013
Hedonist wrote:
Bullshit.

If that were true, you atheists wouldn't spend so much time arguing with theists and arguing about religion and arguing whether or not God is real.

If you really truly didn't care, you wouldn't be here.

We wonder if you atheists spend so much time arguing whether or not the Loch Ness monster is real.
Thinking

Yeovil, UK

#154290 Feb 14, 2013
If the all powerful being was decent, it would.

If it was cuntish or didn't exist, then all bets are off.

I think I've just paraphrased Epicurus.
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Why should it?

“ecrasez l'infame”

Atlanta, Georgia

#154291 Feb 14, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you miss your meds today?
There goes that magic thing again.
Your whole "truth" and "prudence" is the acceptance of dreams as reality.
Show us life made totally from raw chemicals either naturally or in the lab.
A supernatural entity creating man from a lump of clay is magic, poorly written magic at that.

That is, unless you have real verifiable proof of this event. Not speculation and wild hand waving, but independently verifiable evidence?

No? Okay ... magic.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheists that tout free thinking use bully tact... 53 min Patrick 13
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 3 hr Patrick 21,502
Our world came from nothing? 4 hr CunningLinguist 422
Atheists forgetting the meaning of freedom 6 hr Jaimie 46
Should Uninformed Opinion Be Respected? 9 hr Patrick 27
How much faith it takes to believe in Evolution. 9 hr Patrick 172
100% Faith Free 12 hr Thinking 11
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••