Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#154276 Feb 14, 2013
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
Life being on this planet is dependent on the origin of life. Duh. The question is, was it through biochemical interactions or supernatural magic.
Why do you say supernatural "magic"?

The only "magic" is your appearance of a universe out of nowhere in a poof. Even Bible God took 6 days at least. That means it was constructed. Hard work. Had to rest, even.

I swear, you people really have some head and perception problems.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#154277 Feb 14, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You are a bunch of discombubulated in your logic, or whatever it is. Plues, the burden of proof is really not on me. It is on those that claim life can come from raw chemicals. If it didn't, then the default is it was created by something, just like our experience with matter. We can shape and transform it. It doesn't do it all by itself. They will at least have to create conditions that existed at the time, and get at least a spark. No maybe could haves.
Your links were not to the message. They were to the page. On Firefox you will right click on the message number and select Copy Link Location for the particular message.
But I'm not making that claim. I'm claiming that it is prudent to have guarded confidence in hypotheses which are backed by some measure of evidence and ignore those that aren't.

If there is evidence for supernatural magic that can be independently verified, I'd appreciate knowing about it. Until then, I see no reason to consider it.

PS: On both Google Chrome and IE Explorer my links work just like your to point to the correct post number.
Thinking

Yeovil, UK

#154278 Feb 14, 2013
Why doesn't the all powerful being solve it first?
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
The Biblical story is mankind was cast out on his own after he got to big for his britches. The Creator was nice enough to make him some clothes before he threw man and the clothes out the door.
If man is so smart, why doesn't he solve that problem?

“ecrasez l'infame”

Atlanta, Georgia

#154280 Feb 14, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
....Self starting and self creation of life in the beginning is not possible....
And you know that how, exactly?

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#154281 Feb 14, 2013
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
Life being on this planet is dependent on the origin of life. Duh. The question is, was it through biochemical interactions or supernatural magic.
The theory of evolution hinges on the assumption that all life on Earth comes from a single common ancestor.

That's where your little theory blows chunks.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#154282 Feb 14, 2013
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
I, and probably most atheists, don't really care what most theists believe.
We care about actions they take premised on those beliefs. When 19 theists, inspired by their belief in god and their interpretation of how god wants them to behave, murder over 3,000 people by flying planes into tall buildings, atheists care about what theists believe. When theists insist on having myths taught in school as science, atheists care about what theists believe. When Muslims treat women like property, engage in honor killings, prevent women from getting educations, and generally limit their ability to achieve their full human potential, atheists care. When Christians try to prevent women who may or may not share their religion from deciding whether to have a child, and even want to prevent women from having access to contraceptives, atheists care. When the religious state of Israel and the theocratic state of Iran threaten mass destruction because of their beliefs, atheists care. When theists insist on public prayer being included in non-religious activities, atheists care. When theists insist on having the government enforce their religious dogma as laws applicable to all, or demand government endorsement of religion, atheists care.
BUT, when theists gather in their churches to pray, atheists don't care. When theists pray before meals in their own homes, atheists don't care. When theists pray silently to themselves in school, atheists don't care. When Theists raise their own money to build new churches, atheists don't care. When theists erect nativity scenes on private property, without public funds, atheists don't care. When theists go door to door to pass out religious literature, atheists don't care. When theists erect billboards with religious messages on them, atheists don't care.
BUT, while atheists respect your right to believe what you want, and practice your religion freely, we do not feel bound to respect the actual absurdities you believe, any more than you do the beliefs of followers of other religions, and we retain our own free speech rights to laugh at you. When you come here and post the 1,000,000th iteration of Pascal's Wager, thinking it is some profound new insight you just thought up, we reserve the right to howl in derision, roll our eyes, or simply point out all the holes in your logic (or all three).
That is way too heavy to them... er I mean him!

He just hears, we hate god.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#154284 Feb 14, 2013
Hedonist wrote:
I didn't say we would.
Yes you did. You said "when we find life on Mars", you did not say "if we find life on Mars".
I asked what your reaction would be. So, show us you have such an open mind. What would your reaction be assuming we actually did find clear evidence that there has been life on Mars?
That's better.

Now "if" we find life on Mars, I think that would be absolutely fantastically cool!

Location hidden

#154285 Feb 14, 2013
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
But I'm not making that claim. I'm claiming that it is prudent to have guarded confidence in hypotheses which are backed by some measure of evidence and ignore those that aren't.
If there is evidence for supernatural magic that can be independently verified, I'd appreciate knowing about it. Until then, I see no reason to consider it.
PS: On both Google Chrome and IE Explorer my links work just like your to point to the correct post number.
Did you miss your meds today?

There goes that magic thing again.

Your whole "truth" and "prudence" is the acceptance of dreams as reality.

Show us life made totally from raw chemicals either naturally or in the lab.

Location hidden

#154286 Feb 14, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Why doesn't the all powerful being solve it first?
<quoted text>
Why should it?

“ecrasez l'infame”

Atlanta, Georgia

#154287 Feb 14, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm an optimist.
You're apparently a pessimist.
I like to believe that Americans are indivisible. We are ONE nation, ONE people & most of us have the same goal in life - to be happy, healthy & worry free.
But go on, keep fighting the good fight to separate us as much as you can.
I'm a veteran and I believe in this country. I'm also an active volunteer in my community in local government planning and management. So I don't just talk about it.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Be a good little sheep atheist.
And yet, your religious leaders often refer to their congregations as the "flock." Go figure.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Atlanta, Georgia

#154288 Feb 14, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
The theory of evolution hinges on the assumption that all life on Earth comes from a single common ancestor.
That's where your little theory blows chunks.
No. The theory of evolution stands on it's own. The logical extension of the theory leads one to consider common ancestor.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#154289 Feb 14, 2013
Hedonist wrote:
I, and probably most atheists, don't really care what most theists believe.
Bullshit.

If that were true, you atheists wouldn't spend so much time arguing with theists and arguing about religion and arguing whether or not God is real.

If you really truly didn't care, you wouldn't be here.

We wonder if you atheists spend so much time arguing whether or not the Loch Ness monster is real.
Thinking

Yeovil, UK

#154290 Feb 14, 2013
If the all powerful being was decent, it would.

If it was cuntish or didn't exist, then all bets are off.

I think I've just paraphrased Epicurus.
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Why should it?

“ecrasez l'infame”

Atlanta, Georgia

#154291 Feb 14, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you miss your meds today?
There goes that magic thing again.
Your whole "truth" and "prudence" is the acceptance of dreams as reality.
Show us life made totally from raw chemicals either naturally or in the lab.
A supernatural entity creating man from a lump of clay is magic, poorly written magic at that.

That is, unless you have real verifiable proof of this event. Not speculation and wild hand waving, but independently verifiable evidence?

No? Okay ... magic.
Thinking

Yeovil, UK

#154292 Feb 14, 2013
Agreed- because of evidence.

According to Professor Brian Cox's latest programmes, the chance that we came from "multiple common ancestors" (for wont of a better term) is around 1 in 10 to the 40th power.
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
No. The theory of evolution stands on it's own. The logical extension of the theory leads one to consider common ancestor.

Location hidden

#154293 Feb 14, 2013
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
A supernatural entity creating man from a lump of clay is magic, poorly written magic at that.
That is, unless you have real verifiable proof of this event. Not speculation and wild hand waving, but independently verifiable evidence?
No? Okay ... magic.
Do you realize how much you are just repeating buzzwords and not really thinking?

BTW, if and when man does create life from raw chemicals, then you lose.

If we can create it by design, then something could have created us. Simple as that.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#154294 Feb 14, 2013
Hedonist wrote:
As far as abiogenesis is concerned, we have a long way to go to say there is a high level of confidence in any particular working hypothesis, but every working hypothesis has a thousand percent more evidence that any supernatural magic explanation, since magic has 0 available evidence.
Would you change your tune if some scientists or group of scientists came up with a way to test for the supernatural and discovered that it is in fact real?

Would you change your mind if some sort of "God test" implied that God is real?

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#154296 Feb 14, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Would you change your tune if some scientists or group of scientists came up with a way to test for the supernatural and discovered that it is in fact real?
Would you change your mind if some sort of "God test" implied that God is real?
I, for one, would. But I don't expect that there will be any testable hypotheses for a supernatural nor any evidence for a deity.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#154297 Feb 14, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Honey, your car wouldn't work without fire & gasoline.....
No but my car works just FINE without religion. That's the point, moron.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#154298 Feb 14, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Why don't magnets stick to stainless steel?
In a word, nickel.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
God' existence 9 min Carchar king 88
Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 3 hr ChristineM 5,952
The Perils of Belief 5 hr P_Smith 1
Pastor who gave up God for a year after getting... 5 hr P_Smith 1
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 7 hr Morse 23,268
Evidence for God! 7 hr Morse 373
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 15 hr RayOne 2,621
More from around the web