Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 243362 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#154331 Feb 15, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
Smirk... ;)
Top Ten Signs You're a Fundamentalist Christian
10 - You vigorously deny the existence of thousands of gods claimed by other religions, but feel outraged when someone denies the existence of yours.
9 - You feel insulted and "dehumanized" when scientists say that people evolved from other life forms, but you have no problem with the Biblical claim that we were created from dirt.
8 - You laugh at polytheists, but you have no problem believing in a Triune God.
7 - Your face turns purple when you hear of the "atrocities" attributed to Allah, but you don't even flinch when hearing about how God/Jehovah slaughtered all the babies of Egypt in "Exodus" and ordered the elimination of entire ethnic groups in "Joshua" including women, children, and trees!
6 - You laugh at Hindu beliefs that deify humans, and Greek claims about gods sleeping with women, but you have no problem believing that the Holy Spirit impregnated Mary, who then gave birth to a man-god who got killed, came back to life and then ascended into the sky.
5 - You are willing to spend your life looking for little loopholes in the scientifically established age of Earth (few billion years), but you find nothing wrong with believing dates recorded by Bronze Age tribesmen sitting in their tents and guessing that Earth is a few generations old.
4 - You believe that the entire population of this planet with the exception of those who share your beliefs -- though excluding those in all rival sects - will spend Eternity in an infinite Hell of Suffering. And yet consider your religion the most "tolerant" and "loving."
3 - While modern science, history, geology, biology, and physics have failed to convince you otherwise, some idiot rolling around on the floor speaking in "tongues" may be all the evidence you need to "prove" Christianity.
2 - You define 0.01% as a "high success rate" when it comes to answered prayers. You consider that to be evidence that prayer works. And you think that the remaining 99.99% FAILURE was simply the will of God.
1 - You actually know a lot less than many atheists and agnostics do about the Bible, Christianity, and church history - but still call yourself a Christian.
With regard to #4 above, most fundamentalists are profoundly suspicious of the doctrinal purity of the guy in the next pew.

This leads inevitably to the conclusion that Fundamentalism is actually a loose aggregation of a large number of cults-of-one.
Thinking

Yeovil, UK

#154332 Feb 15, 2013
farm3.static.flickr.com/2097/3530172719_97274...
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Sweets, prayer works the same way. If you don't make the effort you don't get the light. It doesn’t work if you don’t try.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#154333 Feb 15, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>Then you are not a freethinker.

Centuries ago, someone like you would probably sit there and say "humans will never fly, that's impossible!".
You only see what you want to see, don't you.

Is the statement "humans will never fly. That's impossible", the same as "I do not expect that humans will ever fly"?

You really are a fundy. You just won't admit it.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#154334 Feb 15, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>No, the point is that some things are cohesive, even things you wouldn't expect - like gas & fire, science & religion.

If you weren't such a blockhead, you'd understand that.
But you insist evolution is a myth.

And you think science and your religion are compatible!?

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#154335 Feb 15, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>First - Aero asked me that question.
Second - Aero knows I'm Christian.
Third - Now you do, too.
Fourth - I still expect both of you morons to ask me "Which god?" .........

O_o
No.

I will ask you to describe your god, meaning your interpretation of the Christian god.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#154336 Feb 15, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Daffy we have been over this hundreds of times. Name one just one so called atheist leader that said his crimes were in the name of atheism. You and your ilk always and I mean ALWAYS run away from this question.
It is night and day different comparing a religious lead group who proudly states they are killing in the name of Jesus or Muhammad and pick a random totalitarian who may have been and atheist and say he did it because of atheism.
<quoted text>
No matter how much you want to disembark from the Atheist crimes against humanity. They have accounted for over 200 million deaths. The Atheism went with the Communism and the Communism went with the Atheism. They were hand and hand.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#154337 Feb 15, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
No matter how much you want to disembark from the Atheist crimes against humanity. They have accounted for over 200 million deaths. The Atheism went with the Communism and the Communism went with the Atheism. They were hand and hand.
Nope.

Nuff said.

Southern Illinois

#154338 Feb 15, 2013
Thinking wrote:
farm3.static.flickr.com/2097/3 530172719_97274647b5.jpg
<quoted text>
Cute and sends a message.

But one can’t always fix terminal cancer. That’s when it’s time to pray or if you are an Atheist. It’s time to die without hope.

Southern Illinois

#154339 Feb 15, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
If my light switch worked like prayers, I'd take it back and get a new one.
Why don't you?
I think you would just leave it turned off. Why change something that works?

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#154340 Feb 15, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Then you are not a freethinker.
Garbage. go by what the *evidence* shows or suggests.
Centuries ago, someone like you would probably sit there and say "humans will never fly, that's impossible!".
Centuries ago, we knew that flight was possible: birds fly all the time. We have yet to see *any* evidence of a supernatural.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#154341 Feb 15, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
But one can’t always fix terminal cancer. That’s when it’s time to pray or if you are an Atheist. It’s time to die without hope.
Let's see how well your prayers work! What sign will you pray for that we all can witness?
Thinking

Yeovil, UK

#154342 Feb 15, 2013
One can't ever fix terminal cancer. Otherwise it wouldn't be terminal.

If it wasn't for christianity imposing the Dark Ages on Europe we might've cracked cancer a couple of centuries ago.

My positive contribution to future generations is not to prey, but to leave my house to cancer research. I'm guessing that's the best part of a century away, so in the meantime I contribute heavily to cancer research.
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>

Southern Illinois

#154344 Feb 15, 2013
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
Let's see how well your prayers work! What sign will you pray for that we all can witness?
I don't have to pray for a sign. It's going to come anyway and you all will witness it in your appointed time.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#154345 Feb 15, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh boy.... Didn't you JUST ridicule ID as being only a hypothesis? And now you defend abiogenesis as if its fact?!
Life exists, dipshit.
Yes.
It's a fact.
Unless you want to claim that either life doesn't exist or that we contain some kind of atoms that don't exist in non-living material.
Name one single atom that exists in living material that doesn't exist in non-living material.
Otherwise, STFU, moron.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#154346 Feb 15, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't have to pray for a sign. It's going to come anyway and you all will witness it in your appointed time.
I cancelled my appointment.

Seems I work better alone.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#154347 Feb 15, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I don’t believe in Sasquatch. Some people actually do. I don’t give a red rats ass if they do. I’m not on the Big Foot topix channel fighting with those who claim they saw a Sasquatch. I simply do not care what they want to believe.
It’s a bit humorous to me but hey whatever. I’m not going to stand before congress and try to enact laws to prevent people from believing in Sasquatch. If I was an Atheist I would feel the same way about religion.
But Atheist are really bothered that people believe in Christ. To the point they don’t want us on the earth sharing the same air. The Germans felt the same way about the Jews. So they came up with the ultimate solution.
Who is trying to legislate away your right to believe in any foolishness you like?

And I have yet to hear of the Loch Ness monster or sasquatch trying to pass laws or teach creationism.

That's why I don't bother arguing about them.

But you already know this. You just have no valid arguments, so you wish we'd all just shut up and quit pointing out how batshit crazy you are.
Thinking

Yeovil, UK

#154348 Feb 15, 2013
Bollocks.
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#154349 Feb 15, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Sweets, prayer works the same way. If you don't make the effort you don't get the light. It doesn’t work if you don’t try.
Then I have to say that you guys really need to step up your efforts.

Either that, or stop praying that 15,000,000 children die of starvation every year, among other things.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#154350 Feb 15, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
The switches still work. Open or close. It works like your mind.
Turn the switch to the ON position when you want to see.
http://www.ehow.com/how_2108351_install-two-w...

It can get more complicated than that.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#154351 Feb 15, 2013
Mylan wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry sparky, science & religion is NOT cohesive... Just the opposite. The last thing that religion wants is for science to prove that your "god" does not exist. That would put them out of business sparky.
I think you meant to say pseudo-science & religion.
Of course they can co-exist, so long as one does not try to pass itself off as the other.

For example, don't ask one of the books in the Bible, such as Genesis, to furnish you with scientific facts or information about how old the earth is.

In turn, don't ask a science book to teach you how to pray.

I see no reason why God could not have created the basic building blocks for life and then allowed it to continue independently from Him.

I believe in both God and evolution, Who's to say evolution isn't part of God's plan?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 33 min thetruth 9,369
News Aliens and evolution (Jun '12) 2 hr Brian_G 6,217
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 3 hr ChristineM 19,788
News Atheism must be about more than just not believ... 5 hr Amused 2
Should atheists have the burden of proof? 13 hr thetruth 38
News Founders created secular nation (Jul '10) 14 hr knight of Jesus 521
Disney Buys The Church Of Jesus Christ Of Latte... (Nov '12) 22 hr millertr1 5
More from around the web