Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 20 comments on the Jul 18, 2009, Webbunny tumblelog story titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#154315 Feb 14, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>He needs Geritol.
JJ doesn't..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =1bzyWVvPZQ0XX
MILF !!!

GILF ???

She's still hot.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#154316 Feb 14, 2013
imjustthatguy wrote:
Just skimmed through the comments and just wanted to address the people who are stating that atheists are believers I will respond with a quote from Bill Maher:
"Atheism is a religion as abstinence is a sex position".
Atheism is not a matter of belief, just as religion is... Atheism is a matter of logic and probability, empirical understanding and reason. Religion is none of those things.
Topix atheism is a delusional pathology.

Or something like that.

Westcliffe, CO

#154317 Feb 14, 2013
imjustthatguy wrote:
Just skimmed through the comments and just wanted to address the people who are stating that atheists are believers I will respond with a quote from Bill Maher:
"Atheism is a religion as abstinence is a sex position".
Atheism is not a matter of belief, just as religion is... Atheism is a matter of logic and probability, empirical understanding and reason. Religion is none of those things.
"Maher is highly critical of religion, and views it as highly destructive. He is described as an agnostic, and refers to himself as one in his feature film Religulous.[52] As for labels, he has denied being an atheist, saying, "I'm not an atheist. There's a really big difference between an atheist and someone who just doesn't believe in religion. Religion to me is a bureaucracy between man and God that I don't need. But I'm not an atheist, no."[53] Maher has also occasionally referred to himself as an "apatheist", saying "I don't know what happens when you die, and I don't care", adding, "there's Atheist and there's Agnostic, and I'm okay with us not splitting the difference on those; if you are just not a super-religious person, you are on my team".[54][55] He has reiterated his stance in subsequent interviews, rejecting both the certitude of the existence, as well as the certitude of nonexistence of deities, concluding, "I'm saying that doubt is the only appropriate response for human beings."[56] He is an advisory board member of author Sam Harris's Project Reason, a foundation that promotes scientific knowledge and secular values within society."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Maher

The comedian Bill Maher's own words. They don't seem to match with what you allege in that quote you made.

Westcliffe, CO

#154318 Feb 14, 2013
Real psychos and Topix atheists have one thing in common that is most telling. They both think they are absolutely sane and everyone else is crazy. Two things. They make their own reality.

Goodnight.

Location hidden

#154319 Feb 14, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
Real psychos and Topix atheists have one thing in common that is most telling. They both think they are absolutely sane and everyone else is crazy. Two things. They make their own reality.
Goodnight.
Prayers don't work here Dave.

Goodnight.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#154320 Feb 14, 2013
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
I, and probably most atheists, don't really care what most theists believe.
Win your logic (or all three).
Atheist are not alone in caring what radical extreme terrorist do. It may be a shock to you but I have never been to a terrorist school nor have I been trained to fly airplanes into buildings. If I remember the United States came under attack that day, all of us citizens of this country were the enemy.

I also stand with you when it comes to choices in birth control. I canít speak for Catholics but I would bet a lot of them practice birth control. Iím against abortion as a birth control method. Mainly because prevention is always the preferred and safest method. Abortion is a ghastly method.

I stand with Atheist when it comes to separation of Church and State. So far Iím 3 for 3 on your side of things. Now I disagree with you on what bothers Atheist when it comes to Christianity. Lets face it Christianity is the only religion Atheist are openly against. Because Christians wonít blow your legs off at the kneecaps like the Muslims will.

So we take the brunt of your hate. Which is more in line with the Hatfieldís and McCoyís. Atheist have been fighting Christians and Christianity for so long they have forgot what it is they are fighting about. They just know they are supposed to hate Christians as evidence of the post we receive here on topix.

Iíve seen here in the last 5 years in my city. Atheist leaders tried to prevent a Church from operating on the main road in town. They tried to zone out the church. The church owned the property and the building but the city government said,ďNo churches here, Sorry you have to build on the back side of town where no one can see you.Ē

Iím happy to say the City lost when it was realized the Federal Government prevents municipalities from zoning out churches. So Iíve seen first hand Atheist try to prevent religious freedom. We are certainly hated by Atheist.
To the point Atheist are bothered about sharing the same air.

This is a long rant I apologize. Ever since the 1700ís Christianity has accepted science and scientific research. We are living in modern times and yes Christians support science. That doesnít mean we support pseudo science and if you study your evolution history. You will find it has been chocked full of frauds, and forged science. More so than any other science.

Southern Illinois

#154321 Feb 14, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Prayers don't work here Dave.
Goodnight.
Neither do light switches if they are not powered up and turned on.

Location hidden

#154322 Feb 14, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Neither do light switches if they are not powered up and turned on.
The switches still work. Open or close. It works like your mind.

Turn the switch to the ON position when you want to see.

Southern Illinois

#154323 Feb 14, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Bullshit.
If that were true, you atheists wouldn't spend so much time arguing with theists and arguing about religion and arguing whether or not God is real.
If you really truly didn't care, you wouldn't be here.
We wonder if you atheists spend so much time arguing whether or not the Loch Ness monster is real.
I donít believe in Sasquatch. Some people actually do. I donít give a red rats ass if they do. Iím not on the Big Foot topix channel fighting with those who claim they saw a Sasquatch. I simply do not care what they want to believe.

Itís a bit humorous to me but hey whatever. Iím not going to stand before congress and try to enact laws to prevent people from believing in Sasquatch. If I was an Atheist I would feel the same way about religion.

But Atheist are really bothered that people believe in Christ. To the point they donít want us on the earth sharing the same air. The Germans felt the same way about the Jews. So they came up with the ultimate solution.

Southern Illinois

#154324 Feb 14, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
The switches still work. Open or close. It works like your mind.
Turn the switch to the ON position when you want to see.
Sweets, prayer works the same way. If you don't make the effort you don't get the light. It doesnít work if you donít try.

Southern Illinois

#154325 Feb 14, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
"Maher is highly critical of religion, and views it as highly destructive. He is described as an agnostic, and refers to himself as one in his feature film Religulous.[52] As for labels, he has denied being an atheist, saying, "I'm not an atheist. There's a really big difference between an atheist and someone who just doesn't believe in religion. Religion to me is a bureaucracy between man and God that I don't need. But I'm not an atheist, no."[53] Maher has also occasionally referred to himself as an "apatheist", saying "I don't know what happens when you die, and I don't care", adding, "there's Atheist and there's Agnostic, and I'm okay with us not splitting the difference on those; if you are just not a super-religious person, you are on my team".[54][55] He has reiterated his stance in subsequent interviews, rejecting both the certitude of the existence, as well as the certitude of nonexistence of deities, concluding, "I'm saying that doubt is the only appropriate response for human beings."[56] He is an advisory board member of author Sam Harris's Project Reason, a foundation that promotes scientific knowledge and secular values within society."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Maher
The comedian Bill Maher's own words. They don't seem to match with what you allege in that quote you made.
Maher is a real funny comedian.

I wondered a time or two what I would do if I was standing close to him. The temptation would be there to flatten his big fat nose. But that wouldnít be right.

Bill has a right to believe what he wants just as I do. Thatís what America is about. Restraining yourself from beating the living dog sh** out of some as**ole.

“ Knight Of Hyrule”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#154326 Feb 14, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you say supernatural "magic"?
The only "magic" is your appearance of a universe out of nowhere in a poof. Even Bible God took 6 days at least. That means it was constructed. Hard work. Had to rest, even.
I swear, you people really have some head and perception problems.
We decided a 5 day work week was enough already. Screw this jew crap that says we work real hard for six days and get paid for 5.

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#154327 Feb 14, 2013
Daffy we have been over this hundreds of times. Name one just one so called atheist leader that said his crimes were in the name of atheism. You and your ilk always and I mean ALWAYS run away from this question.

It is night and day different comparing a religious lead group who proudly states they are killing in the name of Jesus or Muhammad and pick a random totalitarian who may have been and atheist and say he did it because of atheism.
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
No doubt religion accounts for turmoil now and throughout history. But what bothers many Christians is this attitude that all the worlds problems are due to religion. This is when we bring up the hundreds of millions that have died by the hand of Atheist leadership from communism.
Atheism doesnít not have a clean slate. The track record for Atheist leadership is pretty damn dismal when it comes to human rights. Why wear blinders and pretend that Atheism historically doesnít have blood on their hands?

“ Knight Of Hyrule”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#154328 Feb 14, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Why are magnets magnetic?
There are different kinds of magnets, but the answer is
because they were subjected to being the center of a electric field or a subjected to a changing electric field.

The changing-electric-creates-magn etic and changing-magnetic-creates-elec tric effects.

Location hidden

#154329 Feb 14, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Sweets, prayer works the same way. If you don't make the effort you don't get the light. It doesnít work if you donít try.
If my light switch worked like prayers, I'd take it back and get a new one.

Why don't you?
bohart

Newport, TN

#154330 Feb 14, 2013
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
Who said I do?
"Belief" isn't even the right term for science. "Confidence" would be more accurate.
I have confidence in science is direct proportion to the amount of available independently verifiable evidence there is to support a given scientific position.
As far as abiogenesis is concerned, we have a long way to go to say there is a high level of confidence in any particular working hypothesis, but every working hypothesis has a thousand percent more evidence that any supernatural magic explanation, since magic has 0 available evidence.
Translation: we can't prove it but by gawd its better than your God, now spit into your bucket.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

The Borderland of Sol

#154331 Feb 15, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
Smirk... ;)
Top Ten Signs You're a Fundamentalist Christian
10 - You vigorously deny the existence of thousands of gods claimed by other religions, but feel outraged when someone denies the existence of yours.
9 - You feel insulted and "dehumanized" when scientists say that people evolved from other life forms, but you have no problem with the Biblical claim that we were created from dirt.
8 - You laugh at polytheists, but you have no problem believing in a Triune God.
7 - Your face turns purple when you hear of the "atrocities" attributed to Allah, but you don't even flinch when hearing about how God/Jehovah slaughtered all the babies of Egypt in "Exodus" and ordered the elimination of entire ethnic groups in "Joshua" including women, children, and trees!
6 - You laugh at Hindu beliefs that deify humans, and Greek claims about gods sleeping with women, but you have no problem believing that the Holy Spirit impregnated Mary, who then gave birth to a man-god who got killed, came back to life and then ascended into the sky.
5 - You are willing to spend your life looking for little loopholes in the scientifically established age of Earth (few billion years), but you find nothing wrong with believing dates recorded by Bronze Age tribesmen sitting in their tents and guessing that Earth is a few generations old.
4 - You believe that the entire population of this planet with the exception of those who share your beliefs -- though excluding those in all rival sects - will spend Eternity in an infinite Hell of Suffering. And yet consider your religion the most "tolerant" and "loving."
3 - While modern science, history, geology, biology, and physics have failed to convince you otherwise, some idiot rolling around on the floor speaking in "tongues" may be all the evidence you need to "prove" Christianity.
2 - You define 0.01% as a "high success rate" when it comes to answered prayers. You consider that to be evidence that prayer works. And you think that the remaining 99.99% FAILURE was simply the will of God.
1 - You actually know a lot less than many atheists and agnostics do about the Bible, Christianity, and church history - but still call yourself a Christian.
With regard to #4 above, most fundamentalists are profoundly suspicious of the doctrinal purity of the guy in the next pew.

This leads inevitably to the conclusion that Fundamentalism is actually a loose aggregation of a large number of cults-of-one.
Thinking

Yeovil, UK

#154332 Feb 15, 2013
farm3.static.flickr.com/2097/3530172719_97274...
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#154333 Feb 15, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>Then you are not a freethinker.

Centuries ago, someone like you would probably sit there and say "humans will never fly, that's impossible!".
You only see what you want to see, don't you.

Is the statement "humans will never fly. That's impossible", the same as "I do not expect that humans will ever fly"?

You really are a fundy. You just won't admit it.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#154334 Feb 15, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>No, the point is that some things are cohesive, even things you wouldn't expect - like gas & fire, science & religion.

If you weren't such a blockhead, you'd understand that.
But you insist evolution is a myth.

And you think science and your religion are compatible!?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 5 min Denisova 18,696
News Atheists' problem with the Bible (Sep '09) 30 min prophecydotorg 7,408
News Who is an atheist? (May '10) 2 hr FREEBIRD 9,332
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 4 hr ChristineM 2,062
News Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 4 hr Thinking 6,105
News Confessions of a black atheist 4 hr Thinking 410
News Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) 4 hr Thinking 14,611
More from around the web