Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

#154236 Feb 14, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
At least you're starting to learn that God created us, our environment and the entire universe.
Good start!
Uh, no, I was showing you the problems with your example. Maybe you should go back and read that again.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#154237 Feb 14, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>God doesn't need religion.

Humans need it to attempt to understand God.

Sheesh
Which god?

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

#154238 Feb 14, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
If an Atheist is responsible for mass murder itís perfectly fine according to Atheist.
If itís someone masquerading as a Christian then itís horrendous. This is why they never mention these Atheist Leaders you mentioned. Theyíre ok with it.
Straw man arguments like that just show the poverty of facts on your side.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#154239 Feb 14, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
Topix atheists make me sick. They make any human being that wants to live a life sick.

They want to impose their mechanistic uninspiring dull nothingness on all life. A soulless existence for all because they lack one. Wanting everyone to live in the dark because they can't stand the light.

They should be locked up and forced to listen to Pavarotti 24/7 for 6 months.
Sounds like you're getting that you're losing all your arguments again.

Sucks to be you.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#154240 Feb 14, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
You get to have your beliefs.
That doesn't mean nobody can question them.
If your beliefs were valid, they would stand up to questioning.
That you think religion is somehow protected from inquiry just shows that you already know your beliefs are bogus.
Funny, that's exactly the way I see you.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#154241 Feb 14, 2013
Rider on the Storm wrote:
Anybody here know anything about magnets?
What would you like to know?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#154242 Feb 14, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You should find more constructive things to do in your spare time.
I've got idiots to slap around on here. I'm kinda drawn to them. Have this irresistible urge. This compulsion. I can't fight it.
:-)
Why don't magnets stick to stainless steel?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#154243 Feb 14, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
No doubt religion accounts for turmoil now and throughout history. But what bothers many Christians is this attitude that all the worlds problems are due to religion. This is when we bring up the hundreds of millions that have died by the hand of Atheist leadership from communism.
Atheism doesnít not have a clean slate. The track record for Atheist leadership is pretty damn dismal when it comes to human rights. Why wear blinders and pretend that Atheism historically doesnít have blood on their hands?
That kind of thinking helps atheists feel better about their beliefs.

....er, um... non-beliefs.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#154244 Feb 14, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Of course nobody can prove life didn't originate by all natural and observable devices.
Here it comes....
Why? Because that's where all the evidence is leading us.
There it is! Hypocrite.
We no longer need to place it on some invisible sky wizard.
Christians have never had a sky wizard....
We have progressed past the ancients in that regards.
Yes, WE have.
Well some of us have anyways.
Yes, I meant WE, not you.
bohart

Newport, TN

#154245 Feb 14, 2013
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
No you didn't. You asserted it without substantiating your assertion.
You still haven't.
Just because you want to make this false correlation, doesn't make it true.
You also tried to insert ID as if it were science, but you have not met the standard of science to even claim it as science any more than voodoo or astrology is.
And I know we have discussed what a theory is before, so you can't claim ignorance unless it is more than just a claim.
Hey Hedonist , saw where you were talking about the standard of science being met, and if you don't its the same as voodoo. Lets talk abiogenesis, it doesn't have a testable hypothesis and it isn't repeatable, therefore according to science its as provable as voodoo...But of course you could still believe in it.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#154246 Feb 14, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>The real issue is abiogenesis. Prove it can be done before preaching it was done. And also prove the universe can appear out of nothing to begin that process.

Evolution is a process of model change. Adaptation to a changing environment. There is absolutely zero proof that an original model was not created by intelligent design that has since been modified, or that the creation of this universe and our emergence was not part of a process initiated by an intelligent design. By the very fact we have emerged from a stabilized system is evidence that such may have occurred.

That American Association for the Advancement of Science statement on evolution is a left handed way of advancing order out of chaos as it infers any opposition to it, such as the theory of intelligent design is strictly religion based, and thus "unscientific" and "objective". Objective system analysis will not support that contention of order out of chaos theory, which is PURE CONJECTURE.

There is no honesty or objectiveness in statements like that.
So far, the "theory" of intelligent design is nothing more than a hypothesis.

And its only "evidence" is that we haven't figured out exactly how life started yet.

Evolution doesn't even address abiogenesis, but you've already been told this a thousand times, so I don't expect you'll ever get it.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#154247 Feb 14, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>I asked a very simple question that you didn't answer.

What part of ToE is evidenced?

There's no evidence of abiogenesis, no evidence of spontaneous life, no evidence of fish transforming to mammals, no evidence of bacteria becoming birds.

We haven't even cataloged all the existing life on Earth, how is it thought that we know what life existed billions of years ago?

Know it before you preach it.
All life is evidence of abiogenesis. Only the process isn't known.

And 150 years worth of evidence has more than adequately proved evolution.

You are in a deep state of denial.
Imhotep

United States

#154248 Feb 14, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Hmmm...
So quoting the words of another quack reveals your intellectual capabilities in presenting your beliefs?
Should I quote the Bible for you?

Quacks wrote it
Quacks believe it
Quacks sell it on TV

Faith is Rewarded to the Same Degree as Disbelief

Someday the realization that if you prayed to God for a given number of things, and then prayed to a rock for that same number of things, the chances are very good that the rock and God would answer roughly the same number of times.

After all is said and done, every God seems to answer in roughly the same proportion, unless of course... for the 100% rate of failure for such requests as healing an amputee or ďmoving a mountain.Ē However... Faith can move skyscrapers!
Allah Akbar!

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#154249 Feb 14, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>Don't go patting yourself on the back for thinking you taught me something I already know.

[QUOTE] Too bad for you what you're describing is science, and NOT religion. Welcome to reality. "

Too bad for you that you don't understand that science & religion are partners.
They could be, but they're not.

As long as idiots like you and buck and Dave refuse to acknowledge the existing evidence of evolution, religion will remain the enemy of science.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#154250 Feb 14, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
True. But their non beliefs are only concerning God. I can sit here and write that I believe in leprechauns, I think Casper was really a friendly ghost, he wasn't evil-he was friendly. They wouldn't argue either of those at all.
That's what these atheists here don't realize that the only thing they're "skeptical" on is God.
When somebody advocates putting the Ten Commandments of Casper in a school or government building, I'll be all over them. So far, it hasn't been a big problem.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#154251 Feb 14, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Golly Gee man,[blushing] you didnít have to say it like that. Now Iím all embarrassed, ah shucks.
No problem! I will stand up for you and all your other characters! You guy(s) are tops!

Tell us again about Mao, Zinoviev, Kaminev, Fidel Castro, Lenin
Trotsky!

Hey! What about Hitler? You didn't give up on the, "Hitler was an Atheist", bit, did you!

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#154252 Feb 14, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>It's people like you that think we're divided. We ARE one nation - indivisable.

It doesn't matter what an AMerican's religion - or lack thereof - is, we're all Americans and all out for very similar goals.

Stop trying to divide us.

It's a shame you don't see that.
You're the blind one.

That post is proof of that.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#154253 Feb 14, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
Which god?
God.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#154254 Feb 14, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
That kind of thinking helps atheists feel better about their beliefs.
....er, um... non-beliefs.
Oh, you guy(s) got us! Atheism is a religion. We have faith that there is no god. You guy(s) are so smart.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#154255 Feb 14, 2013
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope, that was the conversation.
You can see at each step what the comment was that the reply was addressed to and it goes step by step.
If you'd care to find any side comment that fits into this discussion, please cite your reference.
You are a bunch of discombubulated in your logic, or whatever it is. Plues, the burden of proof is really not on me. It is on those that claim life can come from raw chemicals. If it didn't, then the default is it was created by something, just like our experience with matter. We can shape and transform it. It doesn't do it all by itself. They will at least have to create conditions that existed at the time, and get at least a spark. No maybe could haves.

Your links were not to the message. They were to the page. On Firefox you will right click on the message number and select Copy Link Location for the particular message.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 2 hr Morse 1,034
A New Kinder, Gentler Atheism 5 hr Morse 27
Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) 5 hr Morse 14,450
Can Atheists Know God Does Not Exist When They ... 8 hr QUITTNER Nov 27 2014 31
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 14 hr Richardfs 1,423
Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 21 hr Gillette 5,946
Why the Internet is slowly strangling religion Tue Dally Mama 3

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE