Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Comments (Page 7,411)

Showing posts 148,201 - 148,220 of223,170
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
bohart

Morristown, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
The discussion was about creating life from raw materials. You went off on a tangent.
Man has been playing with chemistry since he first tasted dirt. No known cases of him producing life. You have modern chemistry with the latest knowledge and equipment and controlled conditions and they still haven't produced life from raw chemicals.
Now, you can take materials, chemicals, lay them out in a pattern, and apply juice and you get life. A Roomba is just as intelligent and alive as a bacteria. It also has the same expiration of it's power source over time.
Intelligent design. But you will have trouble grasping that.
Hey Dave, couldn't you just lay your materials and chemicals out on a flat warm rock and wait , Oh say, a couple of billion years for it to assemble and start up on it's own? or would that be stupid?.
EdSed

Wishaw, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
If an Atheist is responsible for mass murder itís perfectly fine according to Atheist.
If itís someone masquerading as a Christian then itís horrendous. This is why they never mention these Atheist Leaders you mentioned. Theyíre ok with it.
Even you must know that's nonsense. What atheist is 'okay with mass murder'? Some mass-murderers may not have been religious, but that doesn't mean religion is any defence against mass-murder.

I would also ask: whoever heard of an atheist suicide bomber? 9/11 (and possibly Egyptair 990) were the work of religious fanatics. Atheism is simply a lack of belief in god(s).

The simple fact is that religion is divisive and supports sectarianism on the scale of Zionism and Islamism.

http://newageislam.com/islam-and-sectarianism...
Wednesday's bombings of a Shia Muslim neighbourhood in the Pakistani city of Quetta that killed almost 100 people is a grim reminder of the power of sectarian militants to act as the arbiters of peace - and war - in this country...

Figures released by the Balochistan government place the number of Shias killed in the province between 2008 and 2012 at 758...

The hatred these Sunni militant groups bear towards Shia Muslims is fundamentally theological although the groups' origins date back to the late 1970s, the time of neighbouring Iran's Shia revolution
Unquote.
EdSed

Wishaw, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheists can not be trusted with power.
Ask anyone who has lived under communism
You are simply prejudiced against atheists.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Rider on the Storm wrote:
Anybody here know anything about magnets?
They are magnetic.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
The discussion was about creating life from raw materials. You went off on a tangent.
Man has been playing with chemistry since he first tasted dirt. No known cases of him producing life. You have modern chemistry with the latest knowledge and equipment and controlled conditions and they still haven't produced life from raw chemicals.
Now, you can take materials, chemicals, lay them out in a pattern, and apply juice and you get life. A Roomba is just as intelligent and alive as a bacteria. It also has the same expiration of it's power source over time.
Intelligent design. But you will have trouble grasping that.
Lying again Dave. How very Christian of you --

It actually started as a conversation between Redneck and I when he (again) falsely accused people of teaching evolution as "pure fact".

To which I explained (somewhat curtly I will admit) that we don't teach any scientific theory as fact, but that the amount of evidence for biological evolution is such that it would be unreasonable to withhold tacit approval for this theory.

You jumped into the middle claiming abiogenesis was the real issue:
" http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T... ;

I pointed out that abiogenesis is not part of the theory of biological evolution:

You ignored that and ask for proof for abiogenesis:

I again noted that abiogenesis is not evolution:

And then you tried to deflect it into an accusation that I was not following the discussion.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Dave, couldn't you just lay your materials and chemicals out on a flat warm rock and wait , Oh say, a couple of billion years for it to assemble and start up on it's own? or would that be stupid?.
That would be stupid. The garbage would pile up in the house waiting and the life would start there.

These idiots don't realize the odds against such a thing happening. First you have to get that magic zap to overcome equilibrium of the material, then you have to have the new energy flow survive the very energetic field it occurred in AND survive long enough to reproduce or replicate the process on its own. It would initially have to be supported and maintained by its environment to keep that energy flow going. Be advised this initial occurrence was highly likely to be of very low power, so very sensitive to its environment, meaning it could get wiped out very easily. That is ONE original spark of life. An alternative is this happening on a large scale, many, many sparks occurring and one or some lucking out and able to maintain the new channeling of energy. This was done in a very energetic phase of earth's development. Sort of like throwing your little piezoelectric lights from your shoes into a lava flow and expecting it to come out OK.

Of course, these clowns will say, Oh, it could happen.

We all know what to say about that.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Judged:

Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
It actually started as a conversation between Redneck and I when he (again) falsely accused people of teaching evolution as "pure fact".
To which I explained (somewhat curtly I will admit) that we don't teach any scientific theory as fact, but that the amount of evidence for biological evolution is such that it would be unreasonable to withhold tacit approval for this theory.
I pointed out that abiogenesis is not part of the theory of biological evolution:
And then you tried to deflect it into an accusation that I was not following the discussion.
I covered abiogenesis and how it is inserted into evolution theory in my jumping in there.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Atlanta, Georgia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

EdSed wrote:
<quoted text>Even you must know that's nonsense.....
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." ~ Einstein

Yet these religulous people on these threads are like broken records. Every few days that repeat the same lame arguments, and we once again point out the stupidity of their arguments.

But I do try to be patient (well, most of the time) just in case someone is reading the thread without participating and really does want answers.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
BTW, your link to that jumping in doesn't seem to fit in. You find the right one and get back to us.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

“Pillars of Creation....”

Since: Jan 11

Into this world we're thrown

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
They are magnetic.
:o)

Jus messin witcha dave..........

“ecrasez l'infame”

Atlanta, Georgia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Judged:

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
I covered abiogenesis and how it is inserted into evolution theory in my jumping in there.
No you didn't. You asserted it without substantiating your assertion.

You still haven't.

Just because you want to make this false correlation, doesn't make it true.

You also tried to insert ID as if it were science, but you have not met the standard of science to even claim it as science any more than voodoo or astrology is.

And I know we have discussed what a theory is before, so you can't claim ignorance unless it is more than just a claim.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Atlanta, Georgia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
BTW, your link to that jumping in doesn't seem to fit in. You find the right one and get back to us.
Nope, that was the conversation.

You can see at each step what the comment was that the reply was addressed to and it goes step by step.

If you'd care to find any side comment that fits into this discussion, please cite your reference.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Atlanta, Georgia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Dave Nelson wrote:
http://www.topix.com/forum/rel igion/atheism/TUGI0DVLLAKD7M2H N/post154133
Never mind, there it is.
Ok, ignore my reply to you a moment ago. You found it, just as I cited it.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Mylan wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah, kind of like fire and gasoline. Hahahaha...
Honey, your car wouldn't work without fire & gasoline.....

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
ANY bad legislation.
Nothing specific? Who gets to determine what is "bad"?

Personally, I think it's "bad" legislation to force people to wear seat belts, or to force them into buying auto insurance if they've never benn in an accident...

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah! And if the high school navy rotc says that there is no life in the cosmos, it's because he has been everywhere to see for himself!
Now shut the fuck up and listen to the boy! Everyone of his characters is richer, smarter, has better children, a bigger house, and fancier cars than you will ever have!
Golly Gee man,[blushing] you didnít have to say it like that. Now Iím all embarrassed, ah shucks.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>You're not too bright are ya?

Religion & religious ideas get a free pass BECAUSE of the 1st Amendment.

In turn, non-religious ideas ALSO get a free pass.

If you are implying that you don't want religion to get a few pass, then you are wanting to alter the 1st Amendment
You get to have your beliefs.

That doesn't mean nobody can question them.

If your beliefs were valid, they would stand up to questioning.

That you think religion is somehow protected from inquiry just shows that you already know your beliefs are bogus.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Hedonist wrote:
Why? Biological evolution doesn't address, nor is it dependent on, how life started.
"Life on Earth originated and then evolved from a universal common ancestor approximately 3.8 billion years ago."

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution

Sounds like evolution's theory is dependant on the origin of life...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
You wish.
I actually paid attention in school, read, studied, visited museums (one of my favs is Museum national d'histoire naturelle in Paris).
You should try it some times.
I also paid attention in school, read, studied and visited museums.

BUT - I always kept an open mind, I was always skeptical.

It's funny how you so-called "skeptics" are ONLY skeptical when it comes to religions & gods.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 148,201 - 148,220 of223,170
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••