Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 238876 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#154286 Feb 14, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Why doesn't the all powerful being solve it first?
<quoted text>
Why should it?

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#154287 Feb 14, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm an optimist.
You're apparently a pessimist.
I like to believe that Americans are indivisible. We are ONE nation, ONE people & most of us have the same goal in life - to be happy, healthy & worry free.
But go on, keep fighting the good fight to separate us as much as you can.
I'm a veteran and I believe in this country. I'm also an active volunteer in my community in local government planning and management. So I don't just talk about it.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Be a good little sheep atheist.
And yet, your religious leaders often refer to their congregations as the "flock." Go figure.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Atlanta, Georgia

#154288 Feb 14, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
The theory of evolution hinges on the assumption that all life on Earth comes from a single common ancestor.
That's where your little theory blows chunks.
No. The theory of evolution stands on it's own. The logical extension of the theory leads one to consider common ancestor.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#154289 Feb 14, 2013
Hedonist wrote:
I, and probably most atheists, don't really care what most theists believe.
Bullshit.

If that were true, you atheists wouldn't spend so much time arguing with theists and arguing about religion and arguing whether or not God is real.

If you really truly didn't care, you wouldn't be here.

We wonder if you atheists spend so much time arguing whether or not the Loch Ness monster is real.
Thinking

Yeovil, UK

#154290 Feb 14, 2013
If the all powerful being was decent, it would.

If it was cuntish or didn't exist, then all bets are off.

I think I've just paraphrased Epicurus.
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Why should it?

“ecrasez l'infame”

Atlanta, Georgia

#154291 Feb 14, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you miss your meds today?
There goes that magic thing again.
Your whole "truth" and "prudence" is the acceptance of dreams as reality.
Show us life made totally from raw chemicals either naturally or in the lab.
A supernatural entity creating man from a lump of clay is magic, poorly written magic at that.

That is, unless you have real verifiable proof of this event. Not speculation and wild hand waving, but independently verifiable evidence?

No? Okay ... magic.
Thinking

Yeovil, UK

#154292 Feb 14, 2013
Agreed- because of evidence.

According to Professor Brian Cox's latest programmes, the chance that we came from "multiple common ancestors" (for wont of a better term) is around 1 in 10 to the 40th power.
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
No. The theory of evolution stands on it's own. The logical extension of the theory leads one to consider common ancestor.

Westcliffe, CO

#154293 Feb 14, 2013
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
A supernatural entity creating man from a lump of clay is magic, poorly written magic at that.
That is, unless you have real verifiable proof of this event. Not speculation and wild hand waving, but independently verifiable evidence?
No? Okay ... magic.
Do you realize how much you are just repeating buzzwords and not really thinking?

BTW, if and when man does create life from raw chemicals, then you lose.

If we can create it by design, then something could have created us. Simple as that.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#154294 Feb 14, 2013
Hedonist wrote:
As far as abiogenesis is concerned, we have a long way to go to say there is a high level of confidence in any particular working hypothesis, but every working hypothesis has a thousand percent more evidence that any supernatural magic explanation, since magic has 0 available evidence.
Would you change your tune if some scientists or group of scientists came up with a way to test for the supernatural and discovered that it is in fact real?

Would you change your mind if some sort of "God test" implied that God is real?

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#154296 Feb 14, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Would you change your tune if some scientists or group of scientists came up with a way to test for the supernatural and discovered that it is in fact real?
Would you change your mind if some sort of "God test" implied that God is real?
I, for one, would. But I don't expect that there will be any testable hypotheses for a supernatural nor any evidence for a deity.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#154297 Feb 14, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Honey, your car wouldn't work without fire & gasoline.....
No but my car works just FINE without religion. That's the point, moron.

Location hidden

#154298 Feb 14, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Why don't magnets stick to stainless steel?
In a word, nickel.

“ Knight Of Hyrule”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#154299 Feb 14, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
There is only one type of Dave Nelson. Geriatrically speaking.
He needs Geritol.
JJ doesn't..

Westcliffe, CO

#154300 Feb 14, 2013
Mylan wrote:
<quoted text>In a word, nickel.
Nickel is magnetic.

Location hidden

#154301 Feb 14, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
The theory of evolution hinges on the assumption that all life on Earth comes from a single common ancestor.
That's where your little theory blows chunks.
Only for those who are ignorant or religious. Hey wait, that's the same thing....
Imhotep

United States

#154302 Feb 14, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
God.
Pick one!

http://www.godchecker.com/

Our Mythology Encyclopedia features over 3,700 weird and wonderful Supreme Beings, Demons, Spirits and Fabulous Beasts from all over the world. Explore ancient legends and folklore, and discover Gods of everything from Fertility to Fluff with Godchecker!

Mrs. Betty explains Christian marriage
A woman known throughout Christendom for her joie d'après vivre!

http://m.youtube.com/watch...

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#154303 Feb 14, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
I, for one, would. But I don't expect that there will be any testable hypotheses for a supernatural nor any evidence for a deity.
Then you are not a freethinker.

Centuries ago, someone like you would probably sit there and say "humans will never fly, that's impossible!".

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#154304 Feb 14, 2013
Mylan wrote:
<quoted text>No but my car works just FINE without religion. That's the point, moron.
No, the point is that some things are cohesive, even things you wouldn't expect - like gas & fire, science & religion.

If you weren't such a blockhead, you'd understand that.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#154305 Feb 14, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
Pick one!
First - Aero asked me that question.
Second - Aero knows I'm Christian.
Third - Now you do, too.
Fourth - I still expect both of you morons to ask me "Which god?" .........

O_o
Imhotep

United States

#154307 Feb 14, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Bullshit.
If that were true, you atheists wouldn't spend so much time arguing with theists and arguing about religion and arguing whether or not God is real.
If you really truly didn't care, you wouldn't be here.
We wonder if you atheists spend so much time arguing whether or not the Loch Ness monster is real.
Not really RR

We find theists extremely delusional and highly entertaining. We know you feel Jesus with you as you type. Yes... Your obsession shows! And a good 'straight man' is hard to find

God bots seem to find atheists irresistible. Why?

We ignore all that most theists believe, yet find their self inflicted mental illness, oddly fascinating, worthy of satire and critical skepticism.

Dogma addicts

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheists' problem with the Bible (Sep '09) 2 hr karl44 7,431
why Atheists believe in incest,pedophilia and b... 4 hr thetruth 29
News Phil Robertson talks against Atheists 4 hr thetruth 79
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 5 hr Kaitlin the Wolf ... 7,176
News .com | What hope is there without God? Wed Kaitlin the Wolf ... 26
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) Wed thetruth 2,171
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) Tue Kathleen 19,031
More from around the web