Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
148,161 - 148,180 of 225,662 Comments Last updated 1 hr ago
Lincoln

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Judged:

Twentieth century atheists in power resulted in mass murder.

Mao
Zinoviev
Kaminev
Fidel Castro
Lenin
Trotsky

No wonder neither political party nominated atheists for president.!

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Judged:

Darth Bob wrote:
Dave Nelson,
I mostly agree with you. At this point, abiogenesis does not have sufficient evidence to support it. Evolution itself is easily demonstrated through various means. But exactly how life began is still a bit of a mystery.
I am no expert on the topic, however my understanding is that order does at times arise from chaos. There is not yet a rigidly mathematical model of how this occurs, at least so far as I am aware. But there are things like Lorentz attractors, the Mandelbrot set, cellular automata, and so on that shed some light on the subject.
There are no verified recorded accounts of life ever appearing spontaneously. Lots of rumors, but science has always poo poohed them.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
There are two types of Topix atheist. Generically speaking.
You have those that are so enamored with the technical aspects of existence that they lost sight of the greater picture and kind of blunder about in a maze they can't get out of. A jeweler's loupe is a great device, but you don't want to walk around with it on.
Then you have those with the technical aspects rattling around loose in the case.
Get you a tube. Have a friend or someone to assist you.
http://www.loctiteproducts.com/threadlocking-...
Well said, lol,:)
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Lincoln wrote:
Mao
Zinoviev
Kaminev
Fidel Castro
Lenin
Trotsky
None of their actions were motivated by atheism and none would have been any better for being religious.
Religion = superstition

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I answered you. You just couldn't understand it.
What I said was "over 150 years of research by scientists in all the Earth sciences from all over the world working within all different sociopolitical cultures we have gathered enough evidence for all the different aspect of biological evolution that to withhold tacit approval for this theory would be unreasonable."
You want to learn biology, go back to school, and this time pay attention. Considering your level of questions, you should probably start with middle school Earth sciences. Or maybe even a basic class explaining what science really is.
You want me to teach you? No. Unless we spend a few year going through all the evidence, you'll just keep spouting "not enough" BS. There are literally museums full of this evidence, all over the world. Go to school, take classes, pass test, and then, maybe, you'll know enough that at least your questions will make sense.
You could've just said "I can't answer that. All I know is that scientists says it's true & I believe them."

It would've been the same thing...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
I have no problem with sharing Sweet Cheeks. I wouldn't ride him/her/it bareback.
LMAO!

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Can you prove life didn't originate by completely natural devices?
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
There are no verified recorded accounts of life ever appearing spontaneously. Lots of rumors, but science has always poo poohed them.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't miss anything. Your statement that we can't blame people who create bad legislation is flat-out dumb.
What bad legislation are you referring to?

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
Other than the feeble atheist argument of "You can't prove it", you've got nothing.
Again, I'm not atheist, and you STILL can't prove what you said is true.

Mylan:2 - Redneck: 0

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
It was not codified until 1956 as a change to our motto from "e pluribus unum" -- out of many we become one. I guess that was too inclusive for you.
Sorry, bucko. It first started on our coins in 1864.

"The motto IN GOD WE TRUST was placed on United States coins largely because of the increased religious sentiment existing during the Civil War."

www.treasury.gov ›Home›About›Education
CunningLinguist

Kissimmee, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Judged:

Dave Nelson wrote:
Topix atheists make me sick. They make any human being that wants to live a life sick.
They want to impose their mechanistic uninspiring dull nothingness on all life. A soulless existence for all because they lack one. Wanting everyone to live in the dark because they can't stand the light.
They should be locked up and forced to listen to Pavarotti 24/7 for 6 months.
We know Religion is a myth, you (closet hypocrite) suspect it yourself or you would not be reading content found in atheist forums. Jesus has his eye on you in particular David.

Your problem is simply RELIGION

The Christian view that all intercourse outside marriage is immoral was based upon the view that all sexual intercourse, even within marriage, is regrettable.

A view of this sort, which goes against biological facts, can only be regarded by some people as a morbid aberration. The fact that it is embedded in Christian ethics has made Christianity throughout its whole history a force tending towards mental disorders and unwholesome views of life.

The Church had devastating impact upon society. As the Church assumed leadership, activity in the fields of medicine, technology, science, education, history, art and commerce all but collapsed.

Technology disappeared and the Church became the most cohesive power in Western society. The extensive aqueduct and plumbing systems vanished.

Orthodox Christians taught that all aspects of the flesh should be reviled and therefore discouraged washing as much as possible.

Toilets and indoor plumbing disappeared. Disease became commonplace as sanitation and hygiene deteriorated. For hundreds of years, towns and villages were decimated by epidemics.

Europe entered the Dark Ages.

“Organised religion is violent, irrational, intolerant, allied to racism, tribalism, and bigotry, invested in ignorance and hostile to free inquiry, contemptuous of women and coercive toward children.”
~Christopher Hitchens

Southern Illinois

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Judged:

Lincoln wrote:
Mao
Zinoviev
Kaminev
Fidel Castro
Lenin
Trotsky
If an Atheist is responsible for mass murder it’s perfectly fine according to Atheist.

If it’s someone masquerading as a Christian then it’s horrendous. This is why they never mention these Atheist Leaders you mentioned. They’re ok with it.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Judged:

Givemeliberty wrote:
<quoted text>
Can anybody?

Nope.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
I said American tradition, HoneyBooBoo, not Christian tradition....
Hey numb nutz, I said ANY tradition, which... oh yeah HoneyBooBoo.... that would include American traditions too.

Moron.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
It was not codified until 1956 as a change to our motto from "e pluribus unum" -- out of many we become one. I guess that was too inclusive for you.
Here's a better link for ya:

http://www.treasury.gov/about/education/Pages...

Oh ya, you're still wrong, by about 100 years.

Southern Illinois

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Judged:

Givemeliberty wrote:
<quoted text>
The fact scientist have not been able to see life self create from sterile soil and rocks is enough proof. It has not happened in laboratory experiments. It hasn’t happened on Mars or anywhere in the cosmos.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
Too bad for you that you don't understand that science & religion are partners.
Yeah, kind of like fire and gasoline. Hahahaha...

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
What bad legislation are you referring to?
ANY bad legislation.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
The bucket is not the gimmick for him. They would hear the music. Grab the Electric Tears, Electric Sea, Colma, and Look Up There albums and you would never visualize a guy with a chicken bucket on his head.
You are a musical snob. Blinded by your illusion of education in the theory of it.
Music is written in math. It is passed on as math. It takes the individual to listen to it and interpret it, or to modify it to add a little punch. Bending notes and such.
You made reference to your surviving in a rough business earlier. That is because you are self promoter, which trumps real music appreciation. You are biased, let us say.
Plus your taste in music sucks.
:-)
If it wasn't a gimmick he would have NO reason to look so ridiculous, it a gimmick because his music is so vapid, get over it.

Music IS NOT written by MATH, sorry you're so stupid.

Did you know they dedicated a song to you in the Wizard Of OZ. Its called IF I ONLY HAD A BRAIN!!!
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
BTW, if you watch Brian Carroll play you will note his hand is all over that guitar neck and his plucking fingers are flying. Plus his pushing buttons on the equipment. And nice sounds come out. You can assume he knows music. He is acknowledged as as a guitar virtuoso.
Not even close to what Jazz guitarist do. Give it up numbnuts, you know nothing about music and are impressed with flying fingers and no substance.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 1 hr I can read 21,464
HELL real or not? (Sep '13) 2 hr Mr Duplicity 291
Hollywood Actor Reveals What He Thinks Is 'Weir... 6 hr religionisillness 104
Our world came from nothing? 6 hr religionisillness 365
The Ultimate Evidence of God 6 hr religionisillness 44
Adam Atheoi - the god of 'humanity' 6 hr religionisillness 84
If Christianity were true... 6 hr religionisillness 151

Search the Atheism Forum:
•••