Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#154176 Feb 14, 2013
The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't miss anything. Your statement that we can't blame people who create bad legislation is flat-out dumb.
What bad legislation are you referring to?

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#154177 Feb 14, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Other than the feeble atheist argument of "You can't prove it", you've got nothing.
Again, I'm not atheist, and you STILL can't prove what you said is true.

Mylan:2 - Redneck: 0

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#154178 Feb 14, 2013
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
It was not codified until 1956 as a change to our motto from "e pluribus unum" -- out of many we become one. I guess that was too inclusive for you.
Sorry, bucko. It first started on our coins in 1864.

"The motto IN GOD WE TRUST was placed on United States coins largely because of the increased religious sentiment existing during the Civil War."

www.treasury.gov ›Home›About›Education
CunningLinguist

Kissimmee, FL

#154179 Feb 14, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
Topix atheists make me sick. They make any human being that wants to live a life sick.
They want to impose their mechanistic uninspiring dull nothingness on all life. A soulless existence for all because they lack one. Wanting everyone to live in the dark because they can't stand the light.
They should be locked up and forced to listen to Pavarotti 24/7 for 6 months.
We know Religion is a myth, you (closet hypocrite) suspect it yourself or you would not be reading content found in atheist forums. Jesus has his eye on you in particular David.

Your problem is simply RELIGION

The Christian view that all intercourse outside marriage is immoral was based upon the view that all sexual intercourse, even within marriage, is regrettable.

A view of this sort, which goes against biological facts, can only be regarded by some people as a morbid aberration. The fact that it is embedded in Christian ethics has made Christianity throughout its whole history a force tending towards mental disorders and unwholesome views of life.

The Church had devastating impact upon society. As the Church assumed leadership, activity in the fields of medicine, technology, science, education, history, art and commerce all but collapsed.

Technology disappeared and the Church became the most cohesive power in Western society. The extensive aqueduct and plumbing systems vanished.

Orthodox Christians taught that all aspects of the flesh should be reviled and therefore discouraged washing as much as possible.

Toilets and indoor plumbing disappeared. Disease became commonplace as sanitation and hygiene deteriorated. For hundreds of years, towns and villages were decimated by epidemics.

Europe entered the Dark Ages.

“Organised religion is violent, irrational, intolerant, allied to racism, tribalism, and bigotry, invested in ignorance and hostile to free inquiry, contemptuous of women and coercive toward children.”
~Christopher Hitchens

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#154180 Feb 14, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
Twentieth century atheists in power resulted in mass murder.
Mao
Zinoviev
Kaminev
Fidel Castro
Lenin
Trotsky
No wonder neither political party nominated atheists for president.!
If an Atheist is responsible for mass murder it’s perfectly fine according to Atheist.

If it’s someone masquerading as a Christian then it’s horrendous. This is why they never mention these Atheist Leaders you mentioned. They’re ok with it.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#154181 Feb 14, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Can you prove life didn't originate by completely natural devices?
<quoted text>
Can anybody?

Nope.

Location hidden

#154182 Feb 14, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
I said American tradition, HoneyBooBoo, not Christian tradition....
Hey numb nutz, I said ANY tradition, which... oh yeah HoneyBooBoo.... that would include American traditions too.

Moron.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#154183 Feb 14, 2013
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
It was not codified until 1956 as a change to our motto from "e pluribus unum" -- out of many we become one. I guess that was too inclusive for you.
Here's a better link for ya:

http://www.treasury.gov/about/education/Pages...

Oh ya, you're still wrong, by about 100 years.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#154184 Feb 14, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Can you prove life didn't originate by completely natural devices?
<quoted text>
The fact scientist have not been able to see life self create from sterile soil and rocks is enough proof. It has not happened in laboratory experiments. It hasn’t happened on Mars or anywhere in the cosmos.

Location hidden

#154185 Feb 14, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Too bad for you that you don't understand that science & religion are partners.
Yeah, kind of like fire and gasoline. Hahahaha...

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#154186 Feb 14, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
What bad legislation are you referring to?
ANY bad legislation.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#154187 Feb 14, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
The bucket is not the gimmick for him. They would hear the music. Grab the Electric Tears, Electric Sea, Colma, and Look Up There albums and you would never visualize a guy with a chicken bucket on his head.
You are a musical snob. Blinded by your illusion of education in the theory of it.
Music is written in math. It is passed on as math. It takes the individual to listen to it and interpret it, or to modify it to add a little punch. Bending notes and such.
You made reference to your surviving in a rough business earlier. That is because you are self promoter, which trumps real music appreciation. You are biased, let us say.
Plus your taste in music sucks.
:-)
If it wasn't a gimmick he would have NO reason to look so ridiculous, it a gimmick because his music is so vapid, get over it.

Music IS NOT written by MATH, sorry you're so stupid.

Did you know they dedicated a song to you in the Wizard Of OZ. Its called IF I ONLY HAD A BRAIN!!!
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#154188 Feb 14, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
BTW, if you watch Brian Carroll play you will note his hand is all over that guitar neck and his plucking fingers are flying. Plus his pushing buttons on the equipment. And nice sounds come out. You can assume he knows music. He is acknowledged as as a guitar virtuoso.
Not even close to what Jazz guitarist do. Give it up numbnuts, you know nothing about music and are impressed with flying fingers and no substance.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#154189 Feb 14, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You prove life can be initiated from raw chemicals first.
They have been trying for thousands of years.
Why? Biological evolution doesn't address, nor is it dependent on, how life started. Evolution simple states that biology on this planet evolves.

Science has some evidence for earlier life that lead to a number of hypotheses concerning how life got started, but no evidence that it might have been magical deities.

You are welcome to make up any mythical fantasy you want for how life started. Without some evidence, it's just so much made up BS. But if it gives your life meaning, go for it.

It doesn't change biological evolution.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Atlanta, Georgia

#154190 Feb 14, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
If an Atheist is responsible for mass murder it’s perfectly fine according to Atheist.
If it’s someone masquerading as a Christian then it’s horrendous. This is why they never mention these Atheist Leaders you mentioned. They’re ok with it.
All atrocities are horrendous, I just don't try to falsely attribute them to a lack of belief in deities.
bohart

Newport, TN

#154191 Feb 14, 2013
Darth Bob wrote:
I don't even really like the term atheist. I just go by nullafidian -- that is a person without any beliefs.
Copy that!

“ecrasez l'infame”

Atlanta, Georgia

#154192 Feb 14, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You could've just said "I can't answer that. All I know is that scientists says it's true & I believe them."
It would've been the same thing...
You wish.

I actually paid attention in school, read, studied, visited museums (one of my favs is Museum national d'histoire naturelle in Paris).

You should try it some times.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#154193 Feb 14, 2013
CunningLinguist wrote:
<quoted text>
We know Religion is a myth, you (closet hypocrite) suspect it yourself or you would not be reading content found in atheist forums. Jesus has his eye on you in particular David.
Your problem is simply RELIGION
The Christian view that all intercourse outside marriage is immoral was based upon the view that all sexual intercourse, even within marriage, is regrettable.
A view of this sort, which goes against biological facts, can only be regarded by some people as a morbid aberration. The fact that it is embedded in Christian ethics has made Christianity throughout its whole history a force tending towards mental disorders and unwholesome views of life.
The Church had devastating impact upon society. As the Church assumed leadership, activity in the fields of medicine, technology, science, education, history, art and commerce all but collapsed.
Technology disappeared and the Church became the most cohesive power in Western society. The extensive aqueduct and plumbing systems vanished.
Orthodox Christians taught that all aspects of the flesh should be reviled and therefore discouraged washing as much as possible.
Toilets and indoor plumbing disappeared. Disease became commonplace as sanitation and hygiene deteriorated. For hundreds of years, towns and villages were decimated by epidemics.
Europe entered the Dark Ages.
“Organised religion is violent, irrational, intolerant, allied to racism, tribalism, and bigotry, invested in ignorance and hostile to free inquiry, contemptuous of women and coercive toward children.”
~Christopher Hitchens
You haven't got a damned clue as to what you are talking about.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#154194 Feb 14, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Jazz sounds like shit because it usually is. Once in a while it comes together. Kind of like your abiogenesis.
You react so badly when someone is out of your step. Tsk.
Topix atheists have such limited perspectives. Gee, if I told one their wife was the worst piece of ass I ever had they would fly into a reactive rage and never consider the fact may be I just didn't inspire her to perform like they did. Ego does get in the way of human relations.
Just for you, something you can understand, something that is musically on your level. Something you can easily relate to....ready......row row row your boat....gently down the stream...you know the rest, have fun with it. LOL How does it feel to completely embarrass yourself in front of everyone? Dickwad!!!!!

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#154195 Feb 14, 2013
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
Why? Biological evolution doesn't address, nor is it dependent on, how life started. Evolution simple states that biology on this planet evolves.
Science has some evidence for earlier life that lead to a number of hypotheses concerning how life got started, but no evidence that it might have been magical deities.
You are welcome to make up any mythical fantasy you want for how life started. Without some evidence, it's just so much made up BS. But if it gives your life meaning, go for it.
It doesn't change biological evolution.
Your logic system is a bit crippled, as is your ability to follow a discussion.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Islam is the Enemy (Sep '12) 21 min Thinking 25
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 40 min serfs up 2,262
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 1 hr Thinking 1,439
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 1 hr Thinking 23,175
America Commits Suicide (Nov '12) 1 hr Pahu 11
God' existence 22 hr polymath257 55
A New Kinder, Gentler Atheism 22 hr polymath257 112
More from around the web