Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
148,121 - 148,140 of 225,585 Comments Last updated 3 hrs ago

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You're not too bright are ya?
Religion & religious ideas get a free pass BECAUSE of the 1st Amendment.
In turn, non-religious ideas ALSO get a free pass.
If you are implying that you don't want religion to get a few pass, then you are wanting to alter the 1st Amendment
Wow. My first temptation is to simply post the Billy Madison "Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to you" clip from youtube.
The 1st Amendment doesn't give anything a free pass from criticism. In fact, it does the exact opposite by allowing criticism as free speech.
NO ideas should be free from challenge. That would make for a cowardly, anti-intellectual society. In terms of religious ideas, that's what we are and it needs to change.

Since: Mar 11

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

And right as Dave comes out of the closet! Perfect timing!

Lmfao!
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Ignorance can be infinite.
I never knew that until you and Dave came along.
How's it going, bucky?
They let you out of restraints again?

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
Yes. And it has served America well for 237 years and will continue to serve us well.
Great. Glad that you admit what you said before was WRONG. That's all I was trying to prove. Have a nice day.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You're not too bright are ya?
Religion & religious ideas get a free pass BECAUSE of the 1st Amendment.
In turn, non-religious ideas ALSO get a free pass.
If you are implying that you don't want religion to get a few pass, then you are wanting to alter the 1st Amendment
So what you're saying is that non-religious ideas should get a free pass from challenges and criticism. Okay, then stop challenging and criticizing non-religious ideas.

Oh, that's not really what you meant. You meant that only your religion should get to use the 1st Amendment argument to stop other people from criticizing your religion.

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Dave wants to see your floppy man boobs he likes chunky men he admitted. You are perfect for Dave! You like he are Christian, you believe in intelligent design creation, you both hate reason and observable facts, you were with several men in prison and you are a big fatass with moobs!

You will be the bride since you got the cleavage and more voluptuous figure, Dave will be the toothless groom.

You can have your honeymoon at the buffet and test your magnetism with your new husband Dave!

I am so happy you two found each other.
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Look closer, GivemeLiverwurst.
Those are called pectoral muscles.
Want it proved the hard way?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
I'm all for American tradition.
If a tradition is broken and based in superstition then it has no place in modern society. It will only hold us back, and that's NOT a good thing.
I want America to continue to prosper as its always done.
So do I. But unless you can prove that your morals are better than the next guys then you only get one vote. Like cream, the best ideas should rise to the top, not just old ideas because we did it that way yesterday and the day before.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Judged:

Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
We don't teach it as "pure fact". We have been over this with you repeatedly, so either you are too scientifically illiterate to understand or are purposefully lying.
After over 150 years of research by scientists in all the Earth sciences from all over the world working within all different sociopolitical cultures we have gathered enough evidence for all the different aspect of biological evolution that to withhold tacit approval for this theory would be unreasonable.
Even Baylor University, one of the finest Christian universities in the world, has stated:
"Evolution, a foundational principle of modern biology, is supported by overwhelming scientific evidence and is accepted by the vast majority of scientists. Because it is fundamental to the understanding of modern biology, the faculty in the Biology Department at Baylor University, Waco, TX, teach evolution throughout the biology curriculum. We are in accordance with the American Association for Advancement of Science's statement on evolution. We are a science department, so we do not teach alternative hypotheses or philosophically deduced theories that cannot be tested rigorously." ~ " http://www.baylor.edu/biology/index.php... ;
The real issue is abiogenesis. Prove it can be done before preaching it was done. And also prove the universe can appear out of nothing to begin that process.

Evolution is a process of model change. Adaptation to a changing environment. There is absolutely zero proof that an original model was not created by intelligent design that has since been modified, or that the creation of this universe and our emergence was not part of a process initiated by an intelligent design. By the very fact we have emerged from a stabilized system is evidence that such may have occurred.

That American Association for the Advancement of Science statement on evolution is a left handed way of advancing order out of chaos as it infers any opposition to it, such as the theory of intelligent design is strictly religion based, and thus "unscientific" and "objective". Objective system analysis will not support that contention of order out of chaos theory, which is PURE CONJECTURE.

There is no honesty or objectiveness in statements like that.

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

And like a doting bride to be...
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
C'mon Dave. I'm on your side.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
God doesn't need religion.
Absolutly CORRECT. And I'm surprised that you can understand that, but it's refreshing to see. Baby steps. You're making progress.
Humans need it to attempt to understand God.
Too bad for you what you're describing is science, and NOT religion. Welcome to reality.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Judged:

Mylan wrote:
<quoted text>Your "creator" is a prick.
Your creator creates a fatal condition called Exencephaly, where a babies brain painfully grows abnormally outside of the skull. What kind of god would create such a thing? What kind of "creator" would allow an innocent baby to needlessly suffer like that?
I'll say it again, your "creator" is a prick.
Everyday in this world your "creator" puts 9 year old girls in harms way and makes it possible for them to continuously get raped by worthless azzholes. Your "creator" turns a blind eye to all of their suffering. What kind of god would induce such a life for a person? What kind of "creator" would allow a child to be put through such hell and suffer like that?
What kind of "creator" creates starvation, and all the pain and suffering to goes along with it?
What kind of "creator" turns a blind eye to sick and dying children suffering through no fault of their own?
What kind of "creator" creates cancer, and then unleashes it on humans?
What kind of "creator" creates earthquakes and volcanoes which cause senseless mass destruction?
What kind of "creator" condones at least 6000 innocent children to be burned alive in Auschwitz?
What kind of "creator" does nothing while innocent children are being molested and abused?
But he loves you!
If the Creator kicked man out the door, then man did all of those things.

Address your anger toward man.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Judged:

Dave Nelson wrote:
Topix atheists make me sick.
And yet here you are. Weird.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Givemeliberty wrote:
Dave wants to see your floppy man boobs he likes chunky men he admitted. You are perfect for Dave! You like he are Christian, you believe in intelligent design creation, you both hate reason and observable facts, you were with several men in prison and you are a big fatass with moobs!
You will be the bride since you got the cleavage and more voluptuous figure, Dave will be the toothless groom.
You can have your honeymoon at the buffet and test your magnetism with your new husband Dave!
I am so happy you two found each other.
<quoted text>
Sweet Cheeks, I don't want Buck. I want your ass. Just for a while.

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Pascal's wager? Seriously?

Wow this is the best these idiots can do. What happens if you pick the wrong deity? There are only thousands of them and picking wrong is just as bad. Your god is just as invalid to someone of another faith as their god is invalid to you.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh boy...
What happens if you win the bet?(you're wrong)
What happens if you lose the bet?(you're right)

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes. And it has served America well for 237 years and will continue to serve us well.
I'll agree that some things should change, so long as it doesn't undermine our core American values.
I'm all for American tradition. I want it to stay that way. I want America to continue to prosper as its always done.
You people seem to want to reinvent the wheel. If it ain't broke, don't "fix" it.
American tradition? When I was born, "god" wasn't in our pledge nor on our money. That's American tradition.

The Catholics (lobbying by the Knights of Columbus) changes us from "on nation indivisable" to one nation divided by god. But driving a wedge into our secular government is something Catholics have been wanting to do since our inception.

The most notable aspect of our American Constitution was that it was the first time a country founded it's government on "We the people" instead of divine fiat.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Darth Bob wrote:
I don't even really like the term atheist. I just go by nullafidian -- that is a person without any beliefs.
Meh…. the religitards will only start a new thread entitled "Nullafidians require as much faith as religion." They're funny like that.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
:-)
A picture is worth a thousand words. A song can sum it all up in minutes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =YyChmkPKi0IXX
People are emotional creatures. It is part of the overall scheme of expression by higher powers. They push buttons and play notes to get some action going. Simple minds are math heads just plodding along.
You were in the Army. You know you have to be taught to march, to follow the cadence set by someone else. You and your fellow plodder alongers holler a lot and make noise with your hot air pumping machines trying to get everyone to follow your cadence. You don't realize you are the ones out of step.
Get some poetry in your soul. Get you a duduk and emote.
Yes, people are emotional creatures. Now provide some scientific evidence that #1.) There is a higher power...and #2) That it created a scheme of any kind. Good Luck with that GODBOT.

Some push buttons some move slides, some press keys, some draw bows, some pluck strings, of course you would know this if you weren't completely illiterate musically, and would never embarrass yourself by claiming all they do is "PUSH BUTTONS. Actually there are very few instruments were buttons are "pushed." Dumb ass!

I never had to march, always either a soloists or in a section. Shit for brains there are no instruments that you PUMP!!! Accordion maybe, but thats a reach, and not in a marching band. You don't know shit about music do you....admit it ands save yourself some serious embarrassment.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Judged:

The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course you can. If people do something stupid, you blame them for doing something stupid. You don't say "oh well."
<quoted text>
No, you speak up and try to get it changed.
YOu seem to have missed the central portion of that post...... Here:

You see, that's how democracy works. A ballot or measure or law or something like that is put out there for all the people to vote, if the people vote this way or that, you just have to live with it.

There are plenty of new laws that I do not agree with, but I have to live with them because they are now law.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Judged:

Mylan wrote:
<quoted text>Your "creator" is a prick.
Your creator creates a fatal condition called Exencephaly, where a babies brain painfully grows abnormally outside of the skull. What kind of god would create such a thing? What kind of "creator" would allow an innocent baby to needlessly suffer like that?
Everyday in this world your "creator" puts 9 year old girls in harms way and makes it possible for them to continuously get raped by worthless azzholes. Your "creator" turns a blind eye to all of their suffering. What kind of god would induce such a life for a person? What kind of "creator" would allow a child to be put through such hell and suffer like that?
What kind of "creator" creates starvation, and all the pain and suffering to goes along with it?
What kind of "creator" turns a blind eye to sick and dying children suffering through no fault of their own?
What kind of "creator" creates cancer, and then unleashes it on humans?
What kind of "creator" creates earthquakes and volcanoes which cause senseless mass destruction?
What kind of "creator" condones at least 6000 innocent children to be burned alive in Auschwitz?
What kind of "creator" does nothing while innocent children are being molested and abused?
But he loves you!
I'm reaching for straws here, but I'm gonna take a gamble & assume that you think God is a prick......

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Dave Nelson wrote:
If the Creator kicked man out the door, then man did all of those things.
If the Creator kicked man out the door, then you don't need to suck his tit 24/7.

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Judged:

And now Dave is quoting genesis! So nice you have confirmed you are a creationist Christian.

Tell your preacher hello this Sunday and don't forget to put some money in the plate. You need to butter him up to do the ceremony for your new chunky bride Buck.
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
The Biblical story is mankind was cast out on his own after he got to big for his britches. The Creator was nice enough to make him some clothes before he threw man and the clothes out the door.
If man is so smart, why doesn't he solve that problem?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
If Christianity were true... 26 min Charchar king 137
How much faith it takes to believe in Evolution. 34 min Charchar king 139
Our world came from nothing? 41 min Charchar king 358
Atheists forgetting the meaning of freedom 4 hr mealima 1
One top most argument for atheism (Apr '12) 5 hr nOgOd 4
Hollywood Actor Reveals What He Thinks Is 'Weir... 9 hr Lawrence Wolf 103
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 9 hr Thinking 884

Search the Atheism Forum:
•••