Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
148,081 - 148,100 of 225,665 Comments Last updated 7 min ago

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Judged:

The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
I said ideas should be criticized and you accused me of wanting to overturn the Constitution.
If that isn't shit reading comprehension, I don't know what is.
There are people that criticize just because they have hormonal or other physical issues. Nothing really constructive.

Topix atheists come to mind.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
I would say that you can't possibly be this stupid, but that would be a lie.
You don't think there's atheist bigotry?

Then you're a bigger fool than most.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Judged:

Thinking wrote:
Do remember to thank your god for childhood leukaemia. Despite your lies about Atheists like me, I'd hate to take the praise for everything.
<quoted text>
The Biblical story is mankind was cast out on his own after he got to big for his britches. The Creator was nice enough to make him some clothes before he threw man and the clothes out the door.

If man is so smart, why doesn't he solve that problem?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Judged:

The_Box wrote:
I said ideas should be criticized and you accused me of wanting to overturn the Constitution.
If that isn't shit reading comprehension, I don't know what is.
You must suffer from short-term memory loss. You said:

"Society is a mix of ideas. Some are good, some are bad. They all must be challenged. If someone says trickle-down economics is the best way to help the poor, people will stand up and say "That's crap." But in our country, religion gets a free pass. It shouldn't."

See that? "religion gets a free pass. It shouldn't."

That would require overturning the 1st Amendment.

“There is no god!”

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
And their "rational thought" & "skepticism" ends when a calculator can't give them any answers.
You fill the blanks with your god

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Judged:

The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
BANNING is equal to "not promoting"?
Wow, ok.
Christianity cannot ban gay marriage. Christianity does not make the law. Society makes the laws, politicians make the laws, judges make the laws.

I know you need someone to blame, so you blame Christians because of what they've been taught through Christianity, but that just isn't true.

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Judged:

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Why?[/QUOTE[

Why? Because as soon as God is not responsible for something, God is no longer omnipotent. Pretty simple. What is not under God's control?

[QUOTE]You are infinately more powerful than an ant. Are you resposible when they get flooded out & die when it rains? Is it your fault they're too ignorant to not make a home outdoors?

A few small problems with your example: I'm not "infinitely" more powerful than an ant, nor did I create the ant, or it's environment, or indeed the entire universe.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Judged:

The_Box wrote:
<quoted text>
...yes.
<quoted text>
Thanks for proving my point. Religion gets kid gloves.
Criticize an economic idea? Ok.
Criticize a political idea? Ok.
Criticize a scientific idea? Ok.
Criticize a practical idea?
Criticize art or media? Ok.
Criticize a religious idea? "Why are you so intollerant?"
Religion has to make itself immune to criticism because it can't hold up to any.
Criticizing Christianity is one thing, tolerating Christianity is one thing, but you want to ban Christianity altogether. That's a completely different thing.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Judged:

Mikko wrote:
<quoted text>
You fill the blanks with your god
What blanks do I fill in with God?

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
There are people that criticize just because they have hormonal or other physical issues. Nothing really constructive.
Sh*t the f*ck up you lying sack of creationist sh*t. We don't believe because you are proven liars who don't know when to sh*t the f*ck up.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Criticizing Christianity is one thing, tolerating Christianity is one thing, but you want to ban Christianity altogether. That's a completely different thing.
not a single christian has ever stood up and corrected the hatred against atheists written in your bible.

Your cult can't play victim in this day and age.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
The Biblical story is mankind was cast out on his own after he got to big for his britches. The Creator was nice enough to make him some clothes before he threw man and the clothes out the door.
If man is so smart, why doesn't he solve that problem?
apologist nonsense. you can stop lying now.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Sh*t the f*ck up you lying sack of creationist sh*t. We don't believe because you are proven liars who don't know when to sh*t the f*ck up.
Tsk. Definitely a case of chemical imbalance or nervous irritation. Insufficient material to be strictly mental.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
As a professor and a player your study of music has been a formula based understanding and application. Very mathematical and rigid. This will of course affect your appreciation of it. Like I said, you appear to be on each standard classical music snob. Orchestral music requires math because of the amount of instruments involved. That type of music is your basis of music belief.
Jazz is supposed to be improv, which is why so much of it sounds like shit, but for some reason you will have people like yourself claim it is beautiful, and assume a position of superior musical tastes because you have made sense out of cacophony in your own allegedly math based brain. You people have issues. Too much ego overriding real sensation.
High school kids rapping out a beat on their books can get a groove going on in their audience. A note bent at particular moments can can change the whole character of a song. This expression from the personal time line and emphasis on notes, which may not be mathematically perfect, from one soul can elicit more emotional response than your marching music.
I will guarantee you that if you and Buckethead were playing out in a field the biggest crowd will gather around the guy wearing the bucket and mask. You would only get a bigger crowd if you had a serious promotional campaign to get out your fellow pretentious music critics. Real people wandering by will be attracted to that which attracts their soul.
This is an opinion from the end process of the music industry. The one that does the buying. The real critics.

I can see you were unable to answer my simple questions on the brass family. I understand how difficult it is to the musically illiterate.

Jazz music is built on very spastic forms. It involves very complex harmonic scheme's, and an educated listener will hear the various phrase lengths. Will hear as the soloists weaves their way throughout these complex harmonies instantaneously creating melodic phrases, developing motives
:-)
Now I see what other mean by your pseudo-intellect. This is how idiotic you are. people would gather around Buckethead solely because he was wearing a mask and a bucket on his head. Then you contradict yourself by saying "real people" will be attracted to what attracts their soul. Which is it meathead, the mask and bucket or the attraction of the soul, and mystical thing you can't even justify. And why do you suppose this guy founds it necessary toy wear a mask and a friggin bucket over his head? Isn't he musical genius enough of a draw. How many people would gather around him if has clean shaven and in a suit? He needs gimmick because his music is childish and without substance.

It takes an entire rhythm section to create a real groove. If you knew anything about music you would know that.

And NO a note BENT at a particular moment will NOT change the entire character of a whole song. Only someone without the knowledge of how music works would say such a stupid thing. A note bent at the right moment might slightly alter the phrase, but not the whole song you idiot.

Jazz music relies on very specific forms and complex harmonies. Soloists weave through these complex harmonies instantaneously creating melodies, developing motives, superimposing other harmonies over the original harmonies. Measures are flying by, yet they create works of art in those fleeting moments. I can't begin to tell you how out your league you are. The more you attempt to display how much you THINK you know about the musical process, the more of a fool you appear.

Very simple math is used by composers, its part of basic music theory and has NOTHING to do with the actually composition, The Math amounts to no more than quarter notes, eight notes, half and whole notes, sixteenth notes. Sequential forms, time signatures, complex time signatures. Its a basic tool like paint for an artist.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Jazz sounds like shit because it usually is. Once in a while it comes together. Kind of like your abiogenesis.......Says the musically illiterate dumb ass. Anything that involves more than three chords totally mystifies this guy. If the melody consists of mow than three notes he thinks it sounds like shit. The only music he truly understands are song like row row row your boat. Too funny
CunningLinguist

Kissimmee, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Hmmm...
So quoting the words of another quack reveals your intellectual capabilities in presenting your beliefs?
This comment displays intellectual poverty on your part David.

You cannot tolerate any criticism of your beliefs, so you lash out, with odious comments, which illustrate your continuing struggle with literacy.

You might think that you disagree with that post David but you are mistaken.

You're simply experiencing an illusion caused by the limits of your comprehension.

What appears to be a difference of opinion is just you wrestling with your own defective brain.

"He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice."
-Albert Einstein

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Now I see what other mean by your pseudo-intellect. This is how idiotic you are. people would gather around Buckethead solely because he was wearing a mask and a bucket on his head. Then you contradict yourself by saying "real people" will be attracted to what attracts their soul. Which is it meathead, the mask and bucket or the attraction of the soul, and mystical thing you can't even justify. And why do you suppose this guy founds it necessary toy wear a mask and a friggin bucket over his head? Isn't he musical genius enough of a draw. How many people would gather around him if has clean shaven and in a suit? He needs gimmick because his music is childish and without substance.
It takes an entire rhythm section to create a real groove. If you knew anything about music you would know that.
And NO a note BENT at a particular moment will NOT change the entire character of a whole song. Only someone without the knowledge of how music works would say such a stupid thing. A note bent at the right moment might slightly alter the phrase, but not the whole song you idiot.
Jazz music relies on very specific forms and complex harmonies. Soloists weave through these complex harmonies instantaneously creating melodies, developing motives, superimposing other harmonies over the original harmonies. Measures are flying by, yet they create works of art in those fleeting moments. I can't begin to tell you how out your league you are. The more you attempt to display how much you THINK you know about the musical process, the more of a fool you appear.
Very simple math is used by composers, its part of basic music theory and has NOTHING to do with the actually composition, The Math amounts to no more than quarter notes, eight notes, half and whole notes, sixteenth notes. Sequential forms, time signatures, complex time signatures. Its a basic tool like paint for an artist.
The bucket is not the gimmick for him. They would hear the music. Grab the Electric Tears, Electric Sea, Colma, and Look Up There albums and you would never visualize a guy with a chicken bucket on his head.

You are a musical snob. Blinded by your illusion of education in the theory of it.

Music is written in math. It is passed on as math. It takes the individual to listen to it and interpret it, or to modify it to add a little punch. Bending notes and such.

You made reference to your surviving in a rough business earlier. That is because you are self promoter, which trumps real music appreciation. You are biased, let us say.

Plus your taste in music sucks.

:-)

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Now I see what other mean by your pseudo-intellect. This is how idiotic you are. people would gather around Buckethead solely because he was wearing a mask and a bucket on his head. Then you contradict yourself by saying "real people" will be attracted to what attracts their soul. Which is it meathead, the mask and bucket or the attraction of the soul, and mystical thing you can't even justify. And why do you suppose this guy founds it necessary toy wear a mask and a friggin bucket over his head? Isn't he musical genius enough of a draw. How many people would gather around him if has clean shaven and in a suit? He needs gimmick because his music is childish and without substance.
BTW, if you watch Brian Carroll play you will note his hand is all over that guitar neck and his plucking fingers are flying. Plus his pushing buttons on the equipment. And nice sounds come out. You can assume he knows music. He is acknowledged as as a guitar virtuoso.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
So which part of ToE has been evidenced? If there's 100 parts to ToE,.005% of them have been evidenced. Why teach it as pure fact?
How did you arrive at that value of .005%?

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Ya, and? Some atheists DO use their beliefs and push them on other people. Republicans push Democrats, Democrats push Republicans.
That's a free society, baby!
In a free-ER society, we wouldn't restrict people from engaging in activities just because it offends the religious sensibilities of some people.

In any event, now that you've admitted that Christians use their clout to push their beliefs on others, you can stop pretending that the nonreligious don't have a good reason for opposing Christianity.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 1 hr I can read 21,464
HELL real or not? (Sep '13) 2 hr Mr Duplicity 291
Hollywood Actor Reveals What He Thinks Is 'Weir... 6 hr religionisillness 104
Our world came from nothing? 6 hr religionisillness 365
The Ultimate Evidence of God 6 hr religionisillness 44
Adam Atheoi - the god of 'humanity' 6 hr religionisillness 84
If Christianity were true... 6 hr religionisillness 151

Search the Atheism Forum:
•••