Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#153690 Feb 12, 2013
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay, I erad your 90% comment backwards. My bad.
As to the rest of your post. That is EXACTLY why we need a new commitment to such a goal. Permanent Moon base, L5, Mars. Anything that can stimulate our imagination, resourcefulness, and commitment.
This is how research creates the kind of spin-offs we need. And the challenges to this kind of goal will greatly improve our understanding (and technology) in human healthcare and ecology.
Again, Apollo's benefit wasn't Moon rocks, it was spin-offs.
Moon base?

I would rather see unmanned vehicles working on the moon and controlled from Houston. With the ability to send back any rocks or samples we may desire.

Hell it was exciting to land men on the moon. No other country has done so. But it is damn risky and we canít sustain human life very long there. Why not use advanced machines with a 30 to 40 year life span?

I would be in favor of a manned telescope like the Hubble in low Earth orbit.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#153691 Feb 12, 2013
POPE BENEDICT - XVI wrote:
Your Pope wants to speak directly to you, my people as you so deservedly need to hear from Your Pope.
Yesterday, Your Pope tendered his resignation as HEAD of the Holy Roman Catholic Church and has made arrangements for a New Pope to be installed within a month.
Your Pope has taken such actions personally, because Your Pope has become fragile and the Holy Roman Catholic Church always needs its HEAD to be astute in Body and Soul 'all the time'.
For those of you who are a little lost by Your Pope's actions (a Pope has not resigned in nearly 600 years), do Not despair. Your Pope knows that your Holy Roman Catholic Church wil continue to be as it has always been.....with Truth, Honesty, Humbleness, and Kindness in the Name of Our Lord Jesus Christ. Filled with members who want to help and assist the Needy, the Desperate, the Blind and the Insane in all countries and towards all cultures, and to Keep the Commandments of Christ, Our Lord, ONE in Being with the Father and the Holy Spirit.
And so, Your Pope wants to thank you all for your kindness over the past eight years and especially for your Prayers in times of Need by Your Pope.
Carry on in the Spirit of Our Lord. Forgiveness is your greatest Goodness. Do Good to those who hate you, Bless those who persecute you, and most of all Love One Another.
GOD Bless You All.
Et nominee Patri, et Felio Dei, etSpirituo Sancti, Amen.
Your Pope in Obedience to Christ.
Pope Benedict XVI
Your imitation Latin is execrable.

"In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti."

That's one accusative, two genetives, another accusative/genetive pair.

Southern Illinois

#153692 Feb 12, 2013
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
Is it against your belief to read the bible or you like being stupid?
Exodus 19
King James Version (KJV)
19 In the third month, when the children of Israel were gone forth out of the land of Egypt, the same day came they into the wilderness of Sinai.
2 For they were departed from Rephidim, and were come to the desert of Sinai, and had pitched in the wilderness; and there Israel camped before the mount.
3 And Moses went up unto God, and the Lord called unto him out of the mountain, saying, Thus shalt thou say to the house of Jacob, and tell the children of Israel;
I don't see the word christian anywhere in there, do you?
I know. You are just a troll and you don't care what the bible says anymore than I do.
That or you are incredibly and willfully stupid.
Going camping, that's the life, warm fire, a beautiful woman, kids playing, hot food, thatís the life.

The Borderland of Sol

#153693 Feb 12, 2013
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
Funded by ARPA, so you paid for it. Oh, and it does work, but I can fully understand it might be beyond you.
<quoted text>
I kind of figured you didn't really understand it when you made the erroneous comment about LEO (low Earth orbit) being 90% less gravity effect than sea level.
At sea level the pull of gravity is 9.81 m/s^2.
At leo it's 9 m/s^2.
Freefall is just that - falling.
No different that skydiving EXCEPT
1. there is no atmospheric drag (okay, some on the orbiter, but not on the people inside); AND
2. the forward momentum of the vehicle is great enough to miss hitting the Earth as it constantly *falls* around the Earth (about 7.8 km/s).
Yah.

It's a vector sum.

Not even a hard one.

Southern Illinois

#153694 Feb 12, 2013
TerryL wrote:
<quoted text>Do you believe your 'god' exists?
Yes, thanks for stopping by.

Southern Illinois

#153695 Feb 12, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
What is being projected from me again? Something about being sad?? Regardless of your lack of the English language Dave made the statement not me. I being a good sport am willing to give Dave a mulligan, a chance to take it back but he has to state that he wants to take it back. Otherwise he will continue to own it and will be reminded, frequently may I note, about his fetish for tying up men and sedating them.
You are already looking like a jackass for saying an unknown Arab man walked uninvited to your dying Dad's hospital room and converted him to believing in Allah.
<quoted text>
Sadism

The Borderland of Sol

#153696 Feb 12, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
An incomplete simulation. Read my previous post.
How "incomplete"?

It works.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#153697 Feb 12, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Going camping, that's the life, warm fire, a beautiful woman, kids playing, hot food, thatís the life.
I can rent you a very nice cabin, in the Big Bear area of California.

It's the Angelus Oaks area.

It will smell a little smokey though.

Location hidden

#153698 Feb 12, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>How "incomplete"?
It works.
Where?

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#153699 Feb 12, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Moon base?
I would rather see unmanned vehicles working on the moon and controlled from Houston. With the ability to send back any rocks or samples we may desire.
Hell it was exciting to land men on the moon. No other country has done so. But it is damn risky and we canít sustain human life very long there. Why not use advanced machines with a 30 to 40 year life span?
Skynet?
Imhotep

United States

#153700 Feb 12, 2013
You know who you are! ;)

Top 10 Signs You're Batshit GODDIDIT crazy...

10 - You vigorously deny the existence of thousands of gods claimed by other religions, but feel outraged when someone denies the existence of yours.

9 - You feel insulted and "dehumanized" when scientists say that people evolved from other life forms, but you have no problem with the Biblical claim that we were created from dirt.

8 - You laugh at polytheists, but you have no problem believing in a Triune God.

7 - Your face turns purple when you hear of the "atrocities" attributed to Allah, but you don't even flinch when hearing about how God/Jehovah slaughtered all the babies of Egypt in "Exodus" and ordered the elimination of entire ethnic groups in "Joshua" including women, children, and trees!

6 - You laugh at Hindu beliefs that deify humans, and Greek claims about gods sleeping with women, but you have no problem believing that the Holy Spirit impregnated Mary, who then gave birth to a man-god who got killed, came back to life and then ascended into the sky.

5 - You are willing to spend your life looking for little loopholes in the scientifically established age of Earth (few billion years), but you find nothing wrong with believing dates recorded by Bronze Age tribesmen sitting in their tents and guessing that Earth is a few generations old.

4 - You believe that the entire population of this planet with the exception of those who share your beliefs -- though excluding those in all rival sects - will spend Eternity in an infinite Hell of Suffering. And yet consider your religion the most "tolerant" and "loving."

3 - While modern science, history, geology, biology, and physics have failed to convince you otherwise, some idiot rolling around on the floor speaking in "tongues" may be all the evidence you need to "prove" Christianity.

2 - You define 0.01% as a "high success rate" when it comes to answered prayers. You consider that to be evidence that prayer works. And you think that the remaining 99.99% FAILURE was simply the will of God.

1 - You actually know a lot less than many atheists and agnostics do about the Bible, Christianity, and church history - but still call yourself a Christian.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#153701 Feb 12, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Moon base?
Going camping on the moon, that's the life, warm fire, 100's of beautiful women, no kids playing, hot food and cold beer, thatís the life.
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#153703 Feb 12, 2013
Annes wrote:
<quoted text>
you just illustrated why there is a hell for you to erode and perish in.
You just illustrated how religion can eat away at the mind like a viral form of syphilis. Condemning someone you don's even know to eternal torture. This is exactly how religion fragments people. How divisive it can be. To wish this kind of horror on a perfect stranger because they don't share your particular personal belief, is shameful. What a hateful person you are. Your beliefs have turned you into a vengeful intolerant subhuman. This is how religion poisons everything. A prime example.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#153704 Feb 12, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
So you are confirming that you want to suck my d!ck?
Your church tells you to suck and swallow for random strangers? You're catholic I take it?
You were offered a chance for a mulligan Gramps, but you chose to keep blundering along.
It's your words and you are going to have to own them.
<quoted text>

Dave don't want you...you're older than 12.
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#153705 Feb 12, 2013
Annes wrote:
<quoted text>
this is why i became a christian. i didn't want to become worthless like you.
Given my success in an industry very difficult to survive in, there are many that would consider me far from worthless. You became a Christian because you're afraid of the dark, afraid of death, and terrified of the celestial dictator that would hurl you into lakes of fire if you veer from his demand. FEAR of navigating through life without a magical being to hold your hand. Weak, and fearful, suspicious of anyone who doesn't belong to your exclusive club, and wiling to condemn anyone who thinks differently from you. FEAR......that is what motivates you....FEAR.....that is what accompanies you on your journey through life......FEAR,......this s why you are a Christian. You are a pitfall example of what a human being should NOT be.

Location hidden

#153706 Feb 12, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
So you are confirming that you want to suck my d!ck?
Your church tells you to suck and swallow for random strangers? You're catholic I take it?
You were offered a chance for a mulligan Gramps, but you chose to keep blundering along.
It's your words and you are going to have to own them.
<quoted text>
Yeah, you are Chunky.

No, Sweet Cheeks, I have other ideas.

Location hidden

#153707 Feb 12, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>You just illustrated how religion can eat away at the mind like a viral form of syphilis. Condemning someone you don's even know to eternal torture. This is exactly how religion fragments people. How divisive it can be. To wish this kind of horror on a perfect stranger because they don't share your particular personal belief, is shameful. What a hateful person you are. Your beliefs have turned you into a vengeful intolerant subhuman. This is how religion poisons everything. A prime example.
"because they don't share your particular personal belief"

"What a hateful person you are. Your beliefs have turned you into a vengeful intolerant subhuman."

Subhuman. Nice. Makes you superior, right?

Gee, and you don't even believe in a Hell.

You got issues.

Location hidden

#153708 Feb 12, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Given my success in an industry very difficult to survive in, there are many that would consider me far from worthless. You became a Christian because you're afraid of the dark, afraid of death, and terrified of the celestial dictator that would hurl you into lakes of fire if you veer from his demand. FEAR of navigating through life without a magical being to hold your hand. Weak, and fearful, suspicious of anyone who doesn't belong to your exclusive club, and wiling to condemn anyone who thinks differently from you. FEAR......that is what motivates you....FEAR.....that is what accompanies you on your journey through life......FEAR,......this s why you are a Christian. You are a pitfall example of what a human being should NOT be.
Wow!!

Cut some slack, dude!! Not everyone is a raging bull totally oblivious to existence like yourself.

Pull off the road and take a breather, bud. You are under the influence.

Southern Illinois

#153709 Feb 12, 2013
The Pope is resigning, a new Pope will be selected, and we are all going to have to hear about it even if we donít want too.

I believe in religious freedom. But I donít believe the Pope and the Catholic church deserve the thousands of hours the news media is going to give them.

If they want to advertise it, place a small add in the El Paso Newspaper and be done with it.
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#153710 Feb 12, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you.
At first you said that you "know" the age of Mars, now you've corrected yourself into saying the age of Mars is assumed. Good boy.
The on'y "verifiable evidence" in that article was the known age of meteors, earth rocks & moon rocks, NOT Martian rocks...
<quoted text>
No, no, no... I've never said atheists are on an even scale than theists.
We're much higher up than you simpletons.
<quoted text>
No you haven't, you've only copy/pasted other people's assumptions about the age of Mars.
Deal with it.
I can see the word EXTRAPOLATION mean absolutely nothing to you. You're are a pathetic loser, deal with that!!

I asked you 4 question on a pervious post about your knowledge of the Mars Rover. You have failed to even make an attempt at answering. This is after you declared "I know all about the Robot (singular) on Mars." Apparently you're involved in a conversation about a topic you know nothing about. Does this seem like a very intelligent thing to do? It would be like arguing with a neurosurgeon over the proper technique for removing a brain tumor. Admit it, you have no clue what the exploration of Mars is all about. For your information numbnuts, there are TWO Rovers on Mars. See I even answered one of your question I asked.

Instead of demanding and then rejecting evidence give to you, do the smart thing and find this information on your own, Don't be a lazy ass all your life. Now either make a lame ass attempt to answer the questions I posed, or piss off!!! I'm no going to discuss a topic with a self made idiot!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) 56 min Ooogah Boogah 14,456
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 1 hr Liam R 1,048
A New Kinder, Gentler Atheism 11 hr thetruth 29
Young atheists: The political leaders of tomorrow 11 hr thetruth 6
Why Christians should stick up for atheists 11 hr thetruth 8
Can Atheists Know God Does Not Exist When They ... 22 hr QUITTNER Nov 27 2014 31
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) Wed Richardfs 1,423

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE