Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#153621 Feb 12, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Show us all with your mighty intelligence where it says that all atheists must commit genocide.
Exactly, you can't - you're full of sh*t and bitter at the fact you have no proof of god.
Remember, it's your mental illness, not ours.
Among all of your malicious ramblings you have failed to prove there is no God.
Thinking

Yeovil, UK

#153622 Feb 12, 2013
Agreed.

Oh, sorry, is quote mining only for believers?
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
there is no God.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#153623 Feb 12, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I would agree with you on the benefits of NASA and its contribution to society and including national pride. On the down side the Space Shuttle Program came with a high price of human life. We know both of the shuttle disasters could have been prevented.
We have abandoned the Shuttle Program and were going back to the multi stage rocket deployments. Im one who thinks NASA needs a new and more realistic long term goals. Going beyond Earths orbit with man space flight to Mars for example is a waste of tax dollars.
I have grown to love NASAs unmanned space exploration. This should be the path NASA should continue to follow. The Hubble Telescope has been a magnificent tool for astronomy. The Mars Rovers have performed exceptionally well. Robotics is the future for NASA. Manned space flight should remain in low Earth orbit.
Reference post #153590 (" http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T... ;)

For gaining knowledge of planets, space, etc. Robots work well. For spin-offs that directly benefit humans, we need human involvement.

If you are really concerned about technology gain vs. loss of life. Let's stop all the wars and redirect some DoD money into actually helping our fellow man instead of just paying lip service to it. Oh, that's right, you love weapons of human destruction and training on how to kill people. Never mind.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#153624 Feb 12, 2013
Siro wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah...I know what you mean.....
I'd probably be of the same opinion if I counted Stalin and Pol Pot as my brethren.
But keep strong Hedonist, your brothers need you.
Maybe you could draft up a petition to outlaw hell and present it to the U.N.
Don't have to outlaw what don't exist.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#153625 Feb 12, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I would agree with you on the benefits of NASA and its contribution to society and including national pride. On the down side the Space Shuttle Program came with a high price of human life. We know both of the shuttle disasters could have been prevented.
We have abandoned the Shuttle Program and were going back to the multi stage rocket deployments. Im one who thinks NASA needs a new and more realistic long term goals. Going beyond Earths orbit with man space flight to Mars for example is a waste of tax dollars.
I have grown to love NASAs unmanned space exploration. This should be the path NASA should continue to follow. The Hubble Telescope has been a magnificent tool for astronomy. The Mars Rovers have performed exceptionally well. Robotics is the future for NASA. Manned space flight should remain in low Earth orbit.
Even low earth orbit is deleterious to a human's health. Bone mass loss and other things that go to hell when they are out of the gravity well they were constructed in. By just a tiny amount. The gravity is still about 90% where they hang out. Free fall is not real lack of gravity.

The body and mind were designed to work here.

For all their big talk, the physicists can't even provide a physical environment to maintain the forces we were designed for.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#153626 Feb 12, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Like I said earlier, you have been driving down the highways with the bright lights on. You have missed a lot along the way.
There are countless billions you have passed by that have had a better perspective, and understanding of life than you have. Not only have they had a slower and more detailed look at the road, they have seen hot rods like you pass by, and the wrecks they get into.
You are too full of self to see reality.
Your metaphor suck, really they do!! You have no idea who I am. You're no better than those who condemn people to hell without knowing them as a person, but simply because they hold an opposing view.

I view life through the lens of logic and reason. I deal with reality, my view, unlike yours, is not clouded with imaginary beings and magical events. I outgrew that. As they say, I stopped being religious once I reached the age of reason.

Because of my Atheism, and what medical science tells me, I do not believe in an afterlife. I'm pretty sure this life is all we get. So, realizing this, I try and make every moment really special. Life to me, is NOT a brief interlude, a mere resting point, before the main event like Theists believe. They miss the true beauty of this world knowing they have much more to look forward to. So.....you are completely and utterly full of shit. To use your piss poor metaphor, I drive extremely SLOW down the highway, taking in everything. Try it, lose the imaginary being bullshit and view life for what it is,

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#153627 Feb 12, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Even low earth orbit is deleterious to a human's health. Bone mass loss and other things that go to hell when they are out of the gravity well they were constructed in. By just a tiny amount. The gravity is still about 90% where they hang out. Free fall is not real lack of gravity.
The body and mind were designed to work here.
For all their big talk, the physicists can't even provide a physical environment to maintain the forces we were designed for.
I'm not sure you really understand free fall, but that's tangential to this discussion.

However, we can and have designed a habitat that accounts for the proper physical environment. Google the "Stanford Torus". This project included required launch rates and schedules, costing, physiological design considerations, etc. and was all planned in 1975. As a member of the now defunct L5 Society, we lobbied for consideration of these ideas, but science has never been that glamorous in America, so we never got too far.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#153628 Feb 12, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
No.
A rock cannot exist and not exist in the same place, the same time and in the same sense.
Because that would contradict the universal logical law of non-contradiction.
But you now have a problem.
Because you have claimed that man created the laws of logic.
So before mankind existed a rock could exist and not exist at the same time, in the same place and in the same sense.
This is what your atheism reduces you to.
Absurdity.
Isn't it about time you abandoned the illogical?
You are using language to even pose the problem, but language is a human invention. Logic is a part of how we use language and so is an invention of humans also.

So, when we talk about a rock existing or not before there were humans, we use human language to pose the problem, so can use the laws of logic.

Location hidden

#153629 Feb 12, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Your metaphor suck, really they do!! You have no idea who I am. You're no better than those who condemn people to hell without knowing them as a person, but simply because they hold an opposing view.
I view life through the lens of logic and reason. I deal with reality, my view, unlike yours, is not clouded with imaginary beings and magical events. I outgrew that. As they say, I stopped being religious once I reached the age of reason.
Because of my Atheism, and what medical science tells me, I do not believe in an afterlife. I'm pretty sure this life is all we get. So, realizing this, I try and make every moment really special. Life to me, is NOT a brief interlude, a mere resting point, before the main event like Theists believe. They miss the true beauty of this world knowing they have much more to look forward to. So.....you are completely and utterly full of shit. To use your piss poor metaphor, I drive extremely SLOW down the highway, taking in everything. Try it, lose the imaginary being bullshit and view life for what it is,
Your rationality is affected by some deeper issues as exemplified by your passion on the subject.

Those special moments will come to a screeching halt. You might not even have the opportunity to realize how insignificant they truly were.

So, tell me, how is it going now that you have entered the Previously Important Person phase of your existence?

Oh, and in regards to your music criticism. It is most fortunate for the vast majority of humans that we are not under your influence like those in your previous important person phase, and thus be forced to appreciate your aesthetic values and determinations of what is special and what is not.

Have a nice day.:-)

Location hidden

#153630 Feb 12, 2013
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not sure you really understand free fall, but that's tangential to this discussion.
However, we can and have designed a habitat that accounts for the proper physical environment. Google the "Stanford Torus". This project included required launch rates and schedules, costing, physiological design considerations, etc. and was all planned in 1975. As a member of the now defunct L5 Society, we lobbied for consideration of these ideas, but science has never been that glamorous in America, so we never got too far.
Cause it wouldn't work was the likely cause. But a great source of income studying it for a while.

Free fall is nothing but scooting out of the way of a direct line of acceleration. However, you just move into another line on a continuous basis. A tangential resistance. Believe or not, there is also a straight line aspect to that movement. Your motion has to actually counter gravity. Instead of a perfect circle, you have a series of straight lines. Sort of sawtoothed, but very fine. It could make it appear as a wave.

You still have the force of gravity. It's a law or something.

A trip to Mars means the sun will be the strongest attraction for a good ways.

Gravity works on the molecular level on humans. One of the things that keeps it together and functioning properly. You can not duplicate that on a spacecraft. Just not enough mass and directions being tugged on.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#153631 Feb 12, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>

Saddism being projected from you again.
Eagle baby.

What in tarnation is "saddism"?

How sad, dude.

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#153632 Feb 12, 2013
Well Dave you are the one saying you dream about men being tied up and sedated. That was your statement yes?

Do you want a mulligan on that one? If not own it.
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You are so easy to get you to show your ass. Sure you aren't gay?
Chicks, huh?

“Leave That Thing Alone!”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#153633 Feb 12, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Among all of your malicious ramblings you have failed to prove there is no God.
Do you believe your 'god' exists?

Location hidden

#153634 Feb 12, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Eagle baby.
How sad, dude.
So.

You thought a rainbow bridge was a gay hangout and kneejerkedly kicked into denying the knowledge of such a thing?

Lexington, KY

#153635 Feb 12, 2013
Forget to change screen names again Dave? Alzheimer's is setting in on Dave as unstoppable as the ocean tides.
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Chunky Poo, are you there?

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#153636 Feb 12, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Eagle baby.
How sad, dude.
LOL, u called him "baby"!

Maybe, it has something to do with Saddam hussein.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#153637 Feb 12, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
Its your duty to sh*t the f*ck up and demonstrate some morals by not lying to us about a god that simply does not exist.
I've never lied to you about a god that doesn't exist.... Get a grip.
You people are annoying, just f*ck off back to your caves and spreading your ridiculous mental illness to sane people.
I'm sorry, are you forced to be here, reading everyday about God?

I think that shows your innate curiosity that God is real. You're looking for answers.

That's a good start.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#153638 Feb 12, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
That won't provide historical proof for Jesus will it Dave? It is a standard Christian argument, one you being a Christian you are well versed on. Still it is a logical fallacy. We all know you gush over how you perceive the Jesus myth has in your words and opinion shaped the whole world! Lmfao!
But your opinion doesn't count as fact. The Jesus myth has hindered not helped mankind. It has stymied free thinkers since it was forced down the people's throat by Constantine.
Christians can't even figure out if Jesus was born in Mary and Joseph's house on Bethlehem or if they were living in Nazareth and stopped off in Bethlehem because Mary's water broke and she gave birth in a barn. Ah yes Jesus born beside piles of horsesht! Fitting no!
:)
<quoted text>
Would you like it better if Jesus was born in a palace?

Location hidden

#153639 Feb 12, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Well Dave you are the one saying you dream about men being tied up and sedated. That was your statement yes?
Do you want a mulligan on that one? If not own it.
<quoted text>
You are the one with the virtual testosterone level of a bull dagger.

Chunky, remember the night we were on stage? Poor little darling, you had to run off and "trade recipes". Bet you wore that violet wand out.

Lexington, KY

#153640 Feb 12, 2013
What is being projected from me again? Something about being sad?? Regardless of your lack of the English language Dave made the statement not me. I being a good sport am willing to give Dave a mulligan, a chance to take it back but he has to state that he wants to take it back. Otherwise he will continue to own it and will be reminded, frequently may I note, about his fetish for tying up men and sedating them.

You are already looking like a jackass for saying an unknown Arab man walked uninvited to your dying Dad's hospital room and converted him to believing in Allah.
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
"being tied up and sedated"
Saddism being projected from you again.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Our world came from nothing? 13 min _Bad Company 704
The Dumbest Thing Posted by a Godbot (Jun '10) 6 hr Dally Mama 5,587
Heaven 9 hr susanblange 2
Another week, another atheist demands we call h... 10 hr Patrick 7
Atheists forgetting the meaning of freedom 10 hr Patrick 152
The Ultimate Evidence of God (Mar '14) 18 hr Patrick 140
Is Religion Childish? 22 hr Patrick 3

Atheism People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE