Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 247744 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#153669 Feb 12, 2013
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay, I erad your 90% comment backwards. My bad.
As to the rest of your post. That is EXACTLY why we need a new commitment to such a goal. Permanent Moon base, L5, Mars. Anything that can stimulate our imagination, resourcefulness, and commitment.
This is how research creates the kind of spin-offs we need. And the challenges to this kind of goal will greatly improve our understanding (and technology) in human healthcare and ecology.
Again, Apollo's benefit wasn't Moon rocks, it was spin-offs.
When it comes to manned flights, get the physics down right before experimenting with people. It is those subtle things that kill you. Wild hairs cost money and lives.

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#153670 Feb 12, 2013
I would have a better reason to accept there was a dude this Jesus of Nazareth. But not a mouth breathing apologetic. Just that he wasn't a totally made up myth.

Jesus Ben strada there is no reason to believe, we have actual secular historical proof he existed and was executed. We accept he existed because there is actual historical evidence from secular sources who watched him be executed. See the difference?
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Then you'd start believing? Quote the atheist, you are.....
<quoted text>
Ah. You'll believe one story but not the other.
Huh...
Hypocrite.

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#153671 Feb 12, 2013
Do you are saying you prefer a guy with some extra pounds eh? This explains why you are so angry and confused all time! Your church tells you that your being gay is a sin and you try to fight nature but it eventually slips through as it has here.

Why not leave your church Dave go find man as you clearly state you want to do? I would wager RR and Daffy both are fatasses, more cushion less pushin for you eh? No wait buck is a fatass and he rambles on about incorrect pseudo science just like you!
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, Chunky, you make me so hot.
Male or female, or whatever you really are, reading your words just gives me a huge erection and the desire to share it with you to shut you up.
I bet you do that to all the guys.

Westcliffe, CO

#153672 Feb 12, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Do you are saying you prefer a guy with some extra pounds eh? This explains why you are so angry and confused all time! Your church tells you that your being gay is a sin and you try to fight nature but it eventually slips through as it has here.
Why not leave your church Dave go find man as you clearly state you want to do? I would wager RR and Daffy both are fatasses, more cushion less pushin for you eh? No wait buck is a fatass and he rambles on about incorrect pseudo science just like you!
<quoted text>
Don't be coy, Chunky Punky. You know you want it. The last time I sweet talked you, you suddenly ran to your violet wand and didn't come back for a while.

Trading recipes. Yeah.

It doesn't matter if you are he/she/it, lovey. Your gonna get it the same place. My church tells me to give you what you deserve.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#153673 Feb 12, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Salutations need not be complete sentences.
I thought you said common sense is better than education.
I took that to mean that you lack the latter.
In which case, you should at least show some common sense!
A proper salutation would've been "Eagle Baby,".

Not "Eagle baby".

Fine. I concede the sentence remark. It wasn't a propr salutation.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#153674 Feb 12, 2013
The_Box wrote:
It's not a good question. It's a question that's been answered countless times. And every time, the answer is ignored in favor of some pop-psychology or conspiracy theorist-type nonsense.
This'll be good...
Why do skeptics rail against Christianity?
Answer: Christian superstition is viewed as a negative influence on society [[[[SCREEEEEEEEECH!!!!]]]]
By whom?

Who, other than skeptics, view Christianity as a negative influence?

Surely not the millions upon millions that Christianity feeds & houses.......

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#153675 Feb 12, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't.
I talk about religion and the insanity it promotes.
You do?

I've only seen your insane atheist rantings, nothing more.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#153676 Feb 12, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
A proper salutation would've been "Eagle Baby,".
Not "Eagle baby".
Fine. I concede the sentence remark. It wasn't a propr salutation.
You should head up to Hwy 38, you're not far.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#153677 Feb 12, 2013
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
Is it against your belief to read the bible or you like being stupid?
Exodus 19
King James Version (KJV)
19 In the third month, when the children of Israel were gone forth out of the land of Egypt, the same day came they into the wilderness of Sinai.
2 For they were departed from Rephidim, and were come to the desert of Sinai, and had pitched in the wilderness; and there Israel camped before the mount.
3 And Moses went up unto God, and the Lord called unto him out of the mountain, saying, Thus shalt thou say to the house of Jacob, and tell the children of Israel;
I don't see the word christian anywhere in there, do you?
I know. You are just a troll and you don't care what the bible says anymore than I do.
That or you are incredibly and willfully stupid.
No, dummy. You don't see the word "Christian" in there, but you DO see "say to the house of Jacob, and tell the children of Israel".....

'_'

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#153678 Feb 12, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
I would have a better reason to accept there was a dude this Jesus of Nazareth. But not a mouth breathing apologetic. Just that he wasn't a totally made up myth.
Jesus Ben strada there is no reason to believe, we have actual secular historical proof he existed and was executed. We accept he existed because there is actual historical evidence from secular sources who watched him be executed. See the difference?
<quoted text>
Yes, I see the difference...

Secular source = good
Religious source = bad

Lol, you're such a moron.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#153679 Feb 12, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
<quoted text>
Why are you thinking about a wager regarding my build?

Odd.....

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#153680 Feb 12, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
You should head up to Hwy 38, you're not far.
I know!

My brother lives in Sugarloaf, about 1 mike from the 38.

Hell be fine, though. He's been stockpiling guns & ammo, too.

He & his oldest son (13) are watching their doors, shotguns loaded & ready.

I wonder if their gay, liberal neighbors will come over for protection....

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

The Borderland of Sol

#153682 Feb 12, 2013
Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
Of yes of course, jesus, lazarus and numerous undead saints roamed jerusalem as zombies (source - the bible)
"...and the dead arose and appeared to man."

Not a single historical reference to this wonder?

Surely somebody noticed!
Thinking

Yeovil, UK

#153683 Feb 12, 2013
I didn't expect you to say that.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Hell be fine, though.

Since: Aug 12

Location hidden

#153684 Feb 12, 2013
Your Pope wants to speak directly to you, my people as you so deservedly need to hear from Your Pope.

Yesterday, Your Pope tendered his resignation as HEAD of the Holy Roman Catholic Church and has made arrangements for a New Pope to be installed within a month.

Your Pope has taken such actions personally, because Your Pope has become fragile and the Holy Roman Catholic Church always needs its HEAD to be astute in Body and Soul 'all the time'.

For those of you who are a little lost by Your Pope's actions (a Pope has not resigned in nearly 600 years), do Not despair. Your Pope knows that your Holy Roman Catholic Church wil continue to be as it has always been.....with Truth, Honesty, Humbleness, and Kindness in the Name of Our Lord Jesus Christ. Filled with members who want to help and assist the Needy, the Desperate, the Blind and the Insane in all countries and towards all cultures, and to Keep the Commandments of Christ, Our Lord, ONE in Being with the Father and the Holy Spirit.

And so, Your Pope wants to thank you all for your kindness over the past eight years and especially for your Prayers in times of Need by Your Pope.

Carry on in the Spirit of Our Lord. Forgiveness is your greatest Goodness. Do Good to those who hate you, Bless those who persecute you, and most of all Love One Another.

GOD Bless You All.
Et nominee Patri, et Felio Dei, etSpirituo Sancti, Amen.

Your Pope in Obedience to Christ.

Pope Benedict XVI
Imhotep

United States

#153685 Feb 12, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, assume. Why?
<quoted text>
It is my duty as a Christian.
<quoted text>
I don't believe in "Gods", so......
<quoted text>
And? In those parts of the world in those days, sources of fuel was sometimes scarce, dry cow poop makes great kindling.
<quoted text>
Of course, the ignorant thinks "back parts" means "ass"...
<quoted text>
True. Good thing I don't believe in "Gods"....
Duty?
Too easy!
You are forgiven... ;)

Define back parts please.

Whereupon Moses beseeches the Lord (Exodus 33:18) to “show me thy glory” God responds that He can whimsically show grace and mercy to whomever the hell he wants. But no one can see His face and live (apparently forgetting that a dozen verses earlier in Exodus 33:11, He “spake unto Moses face to face”.) Then out of either grace or spite replies

He…
…will put thee in a clift of the rock, and will cover thee with my hand while I pass by: And I will take away mine hand, and thou shalt see my back parts: but my face shall not be seen.

Magical! In other words,“Moses, kiss my ass.”

Of course, most theologians prefer to interpret the verse a bit differently, and usually this is seen as God’s desire to show Moses as much as he can of himself without doing him in.

True... You believe in one of Many Gods.

Modern scholarship exposes the barbarous nonsense of the Bible as never before. The men who, 1800 years ago, wrote the gospels, knew nothing of science and rationality. They could in no manner anticipate the skills and insights which would be brought to bear on their pious fantasy far into the future.

Indeed, until relatively recent times, the Bible was a forbidden book, denied to all but the clergy. In the vast compendium of nonsense, selectively read in Latin to an illiterate peasantry, who would have noticed the myriad inconsistencies, contradictions and absurdities?

The Apologist boldly turns the disaster to his advantage. "The errors obviously prove the essential truth. If the writers had wanted to tell a lie they would have got it right."

These 'writers' were con men of their time and unable to anticipate mass literacy, the printing press, computers or the internet.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#153686 Feb 12, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>"...and the dead arose and appeared to man."
Not a single historical reference to this wonder?
Surely somebody noticed!
Both Jewish and Roman sources and traditions admit an empty tomb. Those resources range from Josephus to a compilation of fifth-century Jewish writings called the "Toledoth Jeshu." Dr. Paul Maier calls this "positive evidence from a hostile source, which is the strongest kind of historical evidence. In essence, this means that if a source admits a fact decidedly not in its favor, then that fact is genuine."

http://www.leaderu.com/everystudent/easter/ar...
Thinking

Yeovil, UK

#153687 Feb 12, 2013
F**k off, bob nob gobbler.

You are a nonce.

Your pope is a nonce protector.

The next pope at best will be a nonce protector.
POPE BENEDICT - XVI wrote:
Your Pope wants to speak directly to you, my people as you so deservedly need to hear from Your Pope.
Yesterday, Your Pope tendered his resignation as HEAD of the Holy Roman Catholic Church and has made arrangements for a New Pope to be installed within a month.
Your Pope has taken such actions personally, because Your Pope has become fragile and the Holy Roman Catholic Church always needs its HEAD to be astute in Body and Soul 'all the time'.
For those of you who are a little lost by Your Pope's actions (a Pope has not resigned in nearly 600 years), do Not despair. Your Pope knows that your Holy Roman Catholic Church wil continue to be as it has always been.....with Truth, Honesty, Humbleness, and Kindness in the Name of Our Lord Jesus Christ. Filled with members who want to help and assist the Needy, the Desperate, the Blind and the Insane in all countries and towards all cultures, and to Keep the Commandments of Christ, Our Lord, ONE in Being with the Father and the Holy Spirit.
And so, Your Pope wants to thank you all for your kindness over the past eight years and especially for your Prayers in times of Need by Your Pope.
Carry on in the Spirit of Our Lord. Forgiveness is your greatest Goodness. Do Good to those who hate you, Bless those who persecute you, and most of all Love One Another.
GOD Bless You All.
Et nominee Patri, et Felio Dei, etSpirituo Sancti, Amen.
Your Pope in Obedience to Christ.
Pope Benedict XVI

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

The Borderland of Sol

#153688 Feb 12, 2013
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
The first line of the bible should be, "In the beginning, god created time."
If it began with "Once upon a time", it'd be more accurate.
And even the apocalyptically gullible might be able to tell which was its proper library classification.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#153689 Feb 12, 2013
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
Reference post #153590 (" http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T... ;)
For gaining knowledge of planets, space, etc. Robots work well. For spin-offs that directly benefit humans, we need human involvement.
If you are really concerned about technology gain vs. loss of life. Let's stop all the wars and redirect some DoD money into actually helping our fellow man instead of just paying lip service to it. Oh, that's right, you love weapons of human destruction and training on how to kill people. Never mind.
NASA should have considered a new shuttle fleet with shuttles that are about 1/3 the size they were and a cabin ejection system similar to what the F-111 had. I’m a fan of NASA and worked down the road from Johnson Space Center. I just don’t think they are going in the right direction as far as man space exploration goes.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 2 min thetruth 12,897
News As an atheist, how do I maintain my relationshi... 3 min thetruth 57
News Atheism, the Bible and sexual orientation 12 min thetruth 29
News In America, atheists are still in the closet (Apr '12) 3 hr woodtick57 47,893
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 22 hr Thinking 2,357
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) Wed macumazahn 20,900
Proof of God for the Atheist Wed Amused 130
More from around the web