Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#153584 Feb 12, 2013
Why? That doesn't provide historical proof for Jesus. A rather weak argument on your behalf don't you think?

Can't you do better Dave than the weakest logical fallacy talking points? Ask your preacher this Sunday maybe he can pray with you and help you out.
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Walk out your door and tell us how far it is to the nearest Christian church.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#153585 Feb 12, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, assume. Why?
<quoted text>
It is my duty as a Christian.
<quoted text>
I don't believe in "Gods", so......
<quoted text>
And? In those parts of the world in those days, sources of fuel was sometimes scarce, dry cow poop makes great kindling.
<quoted text>
Of course, the ignorant thinks "back parts" means "ass"...
<quoted text>
True. Good thing I don't believe in "Gods"....
Its your duty to sh*t the f*ck up and demonstrate some morals by not lying to us about a god that simply does not exist.

You people are annoying, just f*ck off back to your caves and spreading your ridiculous mental illness to sane people.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#153586 Feb 12, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
Why? That doesn't provide historical proof for Jesus. A rather weak argument on your behalf don't you think?
Can't you do better Dave than the weakest logical fallacy talking points? Ask your preacher this Sunday maybe he can pray with you and help you out.
<quoted text>
Provide us historical proof that your belief system has demonstrated an improved existence for mankind.

Location hidden

#153587 Feb 12, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Its your duty to sh*t the f*ck up and demonstrate some morals by not lying to us about a god that simply does not exist.
You people are annoying, just f*ck off back to your caves and spreading your ridiculous mental illness to sane people.
You are convinced you are sane and most of the world isn't?

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#153588 Feb 12, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You are convinced you are sane and most of the world isn't?
Yes.

Lexington, KY

#153589 Feb 12, 2013
That won't provide historical proof for Jesus will it Dave? It is a standard Christian argument, one you being a Christian you are well versed on. Still it is a logical fallacy. We all know you gush over how you perceive the Jesus myth has in your words and opinion shaped the whole world! Lmfao!

But your opinion doesn't count as fact. The Jesus myth has hindered not helped mankind. It has stymied free thinkers since it was forced down the people's throat by Constantine.

Christians can't even figure out if Jesus was born in Mary and Joseph's house on Bethlehem or if they were living in Nazareth and stopped off in Bethlehem because Mary's water broke and she gave birth in a barn. Ah yes Jesus born beside piles of horsesht! Fitting no!

:)
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Provide us historical proof that your belief system has demonstrated an improved existence for mankind.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#153590 Feb 12, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
So you have a vested interest in the industry.
We all do.

The technological spin-offs from the pure research is of benefit to all of us. And all of that research is patent free.

The other indirect spin-off was the economic growth we experienced throughout the '60s. The country had a vision and the drive to make it happen.

Even today we have all the technology we need to continue this effort, but we've lost the drive to do so. That's a shame and a disgrace for all of us.

The main area of pure research we would need for a permanent Moon base and a safe human trip to Mars would be in human healthcare and closed ecological systems. The spin-offs from such an endeavor boggles the mind.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#153591 Feb 12, 2013
Annes wrote:
<quoted text>
you just illustrated why there is a hell for you to erode and perish in.
What a sick and twisted little mythology you have that would include such a place as hell.

And that you are okay with the idea of fellow human beings spending eternity there is even more twisted. Only a real psychopath could be okay with that.
Thinking

Yeovil, UK

#153592 Feb 12, 2013
First prove I'm not situated between two churches such that my choice of front or back doors (I actually have four) decides which church is nearest.
Dave Nelson wrote:
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Walk out your door and tell us how far it is to the nearest Christian church.
<quoted text>
Typical limited atheist mentality.
Note the word "nearest".
He can wander around for a while finding some, and then pull out his computer and calculate, and then get back to us if he doesn't know which way to go.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#153593 Feb 12, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
You argument for the First Cause was one of the following:
1. Infinite regress.
2. Uncaused cause.
3. Don't know.
4. Not God.
5. Quantum.
But so far you have stated that it can be any of the above, but the one thing it cannot be, absolutely is:
God
Showing that you are actually totally opposed to the idea of God, right from the start.
Proving the case, that you are indeed suppressing the truth of God as you cannot even allow the idea of God to the table.
Which is not rational.
No, once again, I am pointing out the holes in your argument. You have not managed to prove what you have claimed because you haven't eliminated the other possibilities, or even to show they are less probable than a 'God'.

Lexington, KY

#153594 Feb 12, 2013
Lol Dave is getting desperate, he's due any minute now to go on his standard long winded diatribe about how he sees Jesus in his refrigerator magnets.

Speaking of due any minute, Mtimber is due to as usual come on here make about 60 posts of Hovind copy and pastes all the while ignoring and dodging any and all questions.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#153595 Feb 12, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Causality cannot happen without the laws of logic...
Causality is logical by its very nature.
Wrong. Logic is about deduction in an abstract system, while causality is a question about the real world. They are in totally different areas of study.
As is reason,(when practiced properly).
Your claim, unproven.
All pointing to the logical First Cause.
Wrong.
But you don't want to go there.
So you have to deny either causality or the laws of logic to prevent yourself from going there.
Which one will it be today?
No, I simply want you to *prove* your claims. I have seen nothing to justify anything from the first cause argument. First, causality is an empirical question: and has been shown to be wrong in some situations (which you deny, but without reason).

Your claims about logic are simply false, although you continue to restate the same falsehoods.

Basically, the laws of logic and causality are not what you seem to think they are and you refuse to either argue for your case or refute the other possibilities.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#153596 Feb 12, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
How could it not be?
Time was caused, that is painfully obvious.
It isn't obvious to me. In fact, the exact opposite is obvious to me since time is required for causality. To talk about the cause of time shows a lack of understanding of the nature of causality.
Siro

Australia

#153597 Feb 12, 2013
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
What a sick and twisted little mythology you have that would include such a place as hell.
And that you are okay with the idea of fellow human beings spending eternity there is even more twisted. Only a real psychopath could be okay with that.
Yeah...I know what you mean.....
I'd probably be of the same opinion if I counted Stalin and Pol Pot as my brethren.
But keep strong Hedonist, your brothers need you.
Maybe you could draft up a petition to outlaw hell and present it to the U.N.

Location hidden

#153598 Feb 12, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
That won't provide historical proof for Jesus will it Dave? It is a standard Christian argument, one you being a Christian you are well versed on. Still it is a logical fallacy. We all know you gush over how you perceive the Jesus myth has in your words and opinion shaped the whole world! Lmfao!
But your opinion doesn't count as fact. The Jesus myth has hindered not helped mankind. It has stymied free thinkers since it was forced down the people's throat by Constantine.
Christians can't even figure out if Jesus was born in Mary and Joseph's house on Bethlehem or if they were living in Nazareth and stopped off in Bethlehem because Mary's water broke and she gave birth in a barn. Ah yes Jesus born beside piles of horsesht! Fitting no!
:)
<quoted text>
I am having a vision of you in a sort of Jesus position.

Limbs restrained, but instead of vinegar and water, Haldol.

Location hidden

#153599 Feb 12, 2013
Siro wrote:
<quoted text>
I'd probably be of the same opinion if I counted Stalin and Pol Pot as my brethren.
Show us all with your mighty intelligence where it says that all atheists must commit genocide.

Exactly, you can't - you're full of sh*t and bitter at the fact you have no proof of god.

Remember, it's your mental illness, not ours.

Location hidden

#153600 Feb 12, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
I am having a vision of you in a sort of Jesus position.
Limbs restrained, but instead of vinegar and water, Haldol.
What else can you say, when you have no facts and no morals?

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#153601 Feb 12, 2013
Givemeliberty wrote:
<quoted text>Why? That doesn't provide historical proof for Jesus. A rather weak argument on your behalf don't you think?

I thought he was pointing out to us that we're always in spitting distance of a Christian.

I bet he'd then say something like "If you don't believe in god, why do you spend so much time talking about him."

Good ol' Dave.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

#153602 Feb 12, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
"we have empirical evidence for the age of Mars"
Please, divulge this evidence...
You can't, you know you can't.
The age of Mats is estimated & assumed based on the age of meteors, not based on the age of Martian rocks or soil.
Again, please share your secret knowledge of empirical evidence on the age of Mars.
We can show that certain meteors are from Mars by comparing the chemical composition. Different planets (and asteroids) have different isotopic abundances and we can fairly easily determine the origin of some meteors from that. So the age of meteors from Mars together with the age of the solar system (as determined in other ways) does give an age for Mars. Are there uncertainties? Yes, of course. There always are. All scientific measurements come with error bars. So the age of Mars is 4.6+-.1 billion years.

Lexington, KY

#153603 Feb 12, 2013
So are you the third or fourth wife of your Muslim husband?
Siro wrote:
<quoted text>

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 4 min Save This Nation 2,199
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 21 min Thinking 23,171
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 7 hr _Bad Company 1,437
God' existence 12 hr polymath257 55
A New Kinder, Gentler Atheism 12 hr polymath257 112
Is 'naturalism' a bleak philosophical outlook? ... 12 hr Geezerjock 1
Australia: black magic pervert retard 14 hr Thinking 4
Evidence for God! 15 hr ChristineM 366
More from around the web