Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
147,561 - 147,580 of 224,358 Comments Last updated 10 min ago

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
I spent my whole career in air and space sciences, you have no idea what you are talking about.
NASA has proven time and again that its main contribution is the technology that ‘spins off’ from the research they do. The Apollo missions generated about 1,300 documented NASA technologies which have benefited U.S. industry, improved the quality of life and created jobs for Americans. The Space Shuttle program has also generated more than 100 technology spin-offs.
Some of the Apollo program spin-offs include: 1) major improvements in CAT scanners, MRI, and kidney dialysis; 2) protective clothing worn by racecar drivers, nuclear reactor technicians, and shipyard workers; 3) physical therapy machines used by football teams, sports clinics, and medical rehabilitation centers; 4) cordless power tools and appliances; and 5) athletic shoe design and manufacturing techniques. NASA research has led to an extensive line of commercial products, from insulated outer garments to packaging for foods, from life rafts to candy wrappings. Water purification technology used on the Apollo spacecraft is now employed in several spin-off applications to kill bacteria, viruses and algae in community water supply systems.
The Space Shuttle program has some pretty impressive spin-offs, too. Space Shuttle medical spin-offs include: a new artificial heart; major advancements in the diagnosis and treatment of head injury, stroke, chronic dizziness, and central nervous system disorders; new blood diagnosis machines; and bioreactors that are being used to design therapeutic drugs and antibodies. The Ford Motor Company is using Shuttle developments in the production of natural gas-powered cars. A sensitive infrared hand-held camera that observes the blazing plumes from the Shuttle was used during the brush fires that ravaged Malibu, California in 1996 to point out hot spots for firefighters. There is virtually no area of daily life that has not been greatly enhanced by NASA spin-offs. Better roads, better food processes, better medical systems, better shoes – just name it, NASA has improved it!
So you have a vested interest in the industry.
Annes

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

Judged:

blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>I've given it to you three times dumb ass. I'm really beginning to think that reading might be a problem for you. I know that educational opportunities up there in hillbilly land are scant, so maybe it's not all your fault. If you need extra help with reading and comprehension, I can suggest some programs for you. Good luck!!
you don't have a job , do you?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Buckethead eh. I listened. Simplistic and repetitive. Horrible drummer, sounds like he's building a boat. No dynamic shadings, tonally vapid, and no fully developed melodies. endless arpeggios. As I suspected, children's music.
Pleasant to listen to.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

Annes wrote:
<quoted text>
jesus is NOT in a grave. you are totally clueless, athetrash.
Hey Catholics, first Mother Teresa, and now you POPE......like rats abandoning a sinking ship!!!! Even those who claim to be close to God seemed to have figured out what complete and utter bullshit your religion really is.......too funny!!!!
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

Annes wrote:
<quoted text>
you don't have a job , do you?
Still work, semi-retired. Love to dance with you disillusioned GOTBOTS.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

madscot wrote:
<quoted text>
And? You do realize that the Curiosity Rover has equipment to test that so it can be confirmed, don't you?
That what can be confirmed?
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Pleasant to listen to.
For some, I'm sure it is!!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.universetoday.com/14852/how-old-is...
Google scares the shit out of you, doesn't it?
OMG, that's like the 10th time that site has been linked to.

Did you read it?

Did you miss the part where it admits what the "assumed" age is?

Probably.
Annes

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

Judged:

blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Hey Catholics, first Mother Teresa, and now you POPE......like rats abandoning a sinking ship!!!! Even those who claim to be close to God seemed to have figured out what complete and utter bullshit your religion really is.......too funny!!!!
you just illustrated why there is a hell for you to erode and perish in.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
But you said that there were not laws! Now you say, "Oh yeah, they were laws, but not for us."
So the 10 commandments are not for us, so tell all your christian friends that they do not belong in public buildings.
We don't have to listen to anything that was not given directly to the christains.
I never said they weren't laws.

You're acting like just because something is written in the Bible, it's a 100% Christian law that all Christians MUST obey. You're wrong.

The 10 Commandments ARE laws for all Christians, now you're chaanging it up.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>You see something wrong with thinking of ones self as special. You limit yourself to a premiss that you are somehow answerable to a higher order. You feel ego is something to be shunned. All think all of what you have determined as flaws, are in fact attributes. I see nothing wrong with being proud of ones accomplishments, and knowing they have arrived at the top of the heap, so to speak. My profession demands that I assert myself, that I display an ego, that I strive to be that something special, otherwise whatever success I hope to achieve will never happen. You don't have to be a prick to demand respect from your peers, to be "the man" to be that something special. I take an enormous amount of pride at what I have done professionally, without an ego, or feeling special, I would have never achieved my goals.
So we are machines, with knowable components? Operate like any other machine? Then if that is you take on humans, then you appear terribly confused, or you're simply lying. You have stated that one of the primary components of this machine is a thing called a soul. An unknown, an idea, a belief, a wisp of vapor, nothing physical. A mystery component for your human machine. I think it is you who have stretched your brain too much!!!
Like I said earlier, you have been driving down the highways with the bright lights on. You have missed a lot along the way.

There are countless billions you have passed by that have had a better perspective, and understanding of life than you have. Not only have they had a slower and more detailed look at the road, they have seen hot rods like you pass by, and the wrecks they get into.

You are too full of self to see reality.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
A wee bit odd. Look through the last 12 hours and see if you see a pattern. I bet you don't.
Ya, the pattern is this:

Off & On
Off & On
Off & On
Off & On
Off & On
Imhotep

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Still work, semi-retired. Love to dance with you disillusioned GOTBOTS.
the correct industry term is: GODBOT
eg. GODDIDIT or the religiously insane Jesus addicts.

It is these poor unsaved souls that atheists find so amusing. Chairing their tails in search of immortality and making excuses for their Bible and it's God.
Annes

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

Judged:

blackbaboon wrote:
<quoted text>Still work, semi-retired. Love to dance with you disillusioned GOTBOTS.
this is why i became a christian. i didn't want to become worthless like you.
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

Annes wrote:
<quoted text>
you just illustrated why there is a hell for you to erode and perish in.
Belief in hell is an indicator of a psychopath mentality. No "God of love" would have an eternal torture chamber for unbelievers.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

Annes wrote:
<quoted text>
jesus is NOT in a grave. you are totally clueless, athetrash.
Probably true.

He never existed to begin with.

If he did, there are some theologians who think his body was eaten by dogs.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

Judged:

Imhotep wrote:
ASSuME?
Yes, assume. Why?
Why do you feel the need to explain your god or the bible when atheists have long rejected both?
It is my duty as a Christian.
Why are you threatened by people that do not share your beliefs in Gods?
I don't believe in "Gods", so......
I prefer the humor found in the book!h
Baalams talking donkey, that sneaky snake, and this...
Lo, I have given thee cow's dung for man's dung,and thou shalt prepare thy bread therewith.--Ezekiel 4:15
And? In those parts of the world in those days, sources of fuel was sometimes scarce, dry cow poop makes great kindling.
One of my favorites... God show his ass!
"And I will take away mine hand, and thou shalt see my back parts: but my face shall not be seen." Exodus 33:23
;)
Of course, the ignorant thinks "back parts" means "ass"...
"Gods are fragile things; they may be killed by a whiff of science or a dose of common sense."
-- Chapman Cohen
True. Good thing I don't believe in "Gods"....

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

blacklagoon wrote:
You're just not very smart are you. You can't even follow the conversation. You berated science for there BELIF that Mars was 4.6 billion years old. Although nowhere in the article I presented did they use the word believe. Hence...they "Believe" with verifiable evidence, you "believe" with NO verifiable evidence. Got it!!!!
Thank you.

At first you said that you "know" the age of Mars, now you've corrected yourself into saying the age of Mars is assumed. Good boy.

The on'y "verifiable evidence" in that article was the known age of meteors, earth rocks & moon rocks, NOT Martian rocks...
Continually saying Atheism is a religion, really makes you look stupid. For some reason you think it irritates us. I actually find it comical that you try and put Atheists on an even scale with Theists. Its as though you are saying, "OK we believe without any evidence, we're embarrassed by that and feel real foolish that we believe in myths and magical events, but you also believe without evidence, so your in the same boat as you." Any intelligent person KNOWS that Atheists simple lack a belief, By calling us a religion, you now have to show what deity we worship and what our doctrine consists of.
No, no, no... I've never said atheists are on an even scale than theists.

We're much higher up than you simpletons.
BTW I have answered your question numerous times about the age of Mars, both on this thread and on others. You either can't read, or comprehend, or your just avoiding the information because you cant refute it. Either way, you look stupid, once again!!!
No you haven't, you've only copy/pasted other people's assumptions about the age of Mars.

Deal with it.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
OMG, that's like the 10th time that site has been linked to.
Did you read it?
Did you miss the part where it admits what the "assumed" age is?
Probably.
Did you miss the parts about "evidence"?

Probably.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

Judged:

blacklagoon wrote:
WTF is a "GOTBOT"???

Look, if you're gonna try insulting, at least get your spelling right.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

9 Users are viewing the Atheism Forum right now

Search the Atheism Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Our world came from nothing? 11 hr NightSerf 240
20+ Questions for Theists (Apr '13) 15 hr Patrick 385
What does "Atheism" mean? 16 hr Reason Personified 10
Introducing The Universal Religion 17 hr Reason Personified 733
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 22 hr DonPanic 21,400
Talking some sense into you people... 23 hr religionisillness 24
The numbers are in: America still distrusts ath... 23 hr religionisillness 19
•••
•••