Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#153500 Feb 11, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
The LHC at Cern. Cosmological research. The space programs. Countless others studying things way beyond any utility for the average person.
A LOT OF MONEY SPENT ON THOSE THINGS.
That is your science Topix atheists worship.
What about the diseases, hunger, social organization of the living population now and in the future? Building a better platform before we start reaching out?
There is a lot of hypocrisy in these secular humanist atheists.
I spent my whole career in air and space sciences, you have no idea what you are talking about.

NASA has proven time and again that its main contribution is the technology that ‘spins off’ from the research they do. The Apollo missions generated about 1,300 documented NASA technologies which have benefited U.S. industry, improved the quality of life and created jobs for Americans. The Space Shuttle program has also generated more than 100 technology spin-offs.

Some of the Apollo program spin-offs include: 1) major improvements in CAT scanners, MRI, and kidney dialysis; 2) protective clothing worn by racecar drivers, nuclear reactor technicians, and shipyard workers; 3) physical therapy machines used by football teams, sports clinics, and medical rehabilitation centers; 4) cordless power tools and appliances; and 5) athletic shoe design and manufacturing techniques. NASA research has led to an extensive line of commercial products, from insulated outer garments to packaging for foods, from life rafts to candy wrappings. Water purification technology used on the Apollo spacecraft is now employed in several spin-off applications to kill bacteria, viruses and algae in community water supply systems.

The Space Shuttle program has some pretty impressive spin-offs, too. Space Shuttle medical spin-offs include: a new artificial heart; major advancements in the diagnosis and treatment of head injury, stroke, chronic dizziness, and central nervous system disorders; new blood diagnosis machines; and bioreactors that are being used to design therapeutic drugs and antibodies. The Ford Motor Company is using Shuttle developments in the production of natural gas-powered cars. A sensitive infrared hand-held camera that observes the blazing plumes from the Shuttle was used during the brush fires that ravaged Malibu, California in 1996 to point out hot spots for firefighters. There is virtually no area of daily life that has not been greatly enhanced by NASA spin-offs. Better roads, better food processes, better medical systems, better shoes – just name it, NASA has improved it!

“Darwin died for your sins”

Since: Aug 08

Nunya

#153501 Feb 11, 2013
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
I spent my whole career in air and space sciences, you have no idea what you are talking about.
NASA has proven time and again that its main contribution is the technology that ‘spins off’ from the research they do. The Apollo missions generated about 1,300 documented NASA technologies which have benefited U.S. industry, improved the quality of life and created jobs for Americans. The Space Shuttle program has also generated more than 100 technology spin-offs.
Some of the Apollo program spin-offs include: 1) major improvements in CAT scanners, MRI, and kidney dialysis; 2) protective clothing worn by racecar drivers, nuclear reactor technicians, and shipyard workers; 3) physical therapy machines used by football teams, sports clinics, and medical rehabilitation centers; 4) cordless power tools and appliances; and 5) athletic shoe design and manufacturing techniques. NASA research has led to an extensive line of commercial products, from insulated outer garments to packaging for foods, from life rafts to candy wrappings. Water purification technology used on the Apollo spacecraft is now employed in several spin-off applications to kill bacteria, viruses and algae in community water supply systems.
The Space Shuttle program has some pretty impressive spin-offs, too. Space Shuttle medical spin-offs include: a new artificial heart; major advancements in the diagnosis and treatment of head injury, stroke, chronic dizziness, and central nervous system disorders; new blood diagnosis machines; and bioreactors that are being used to design therapeutic drugs and antibodies. The Ford Motor Company is using Shuttle developments in the production of natural gas-powered cars. A sensitive infrared hand-held camera that observes the blazing plumes from the Shuttle was used during the brush fires that ravaged Malibu, California in 1996 to point out hot spots for firefighters. There is virtually no area of daily life that has not been greatly enhanced by NASA spin-offs. Better roads, better food processes, better medical systems, better shoes – just name it, NASA has improved it!
Dude, you forgot Tang!

“ecrasez l'infame”

Atlanta, Georgia

#153502 Feb 11, 2013
madscot wrote:
<quoted text>
Dude, you forgot Tang!
Never really a "space drink", just good commercialization.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Atlanta, Georgia

#153503 Feb 11, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
No problem I loved ROTC. It was a hell of a lot of fun.
Of course you do. You're avatar is a picture of a weapon that's only function is killing people in mass, you enjoyed practicing to kill people in college. Of course you are a Christian. All the Abrahamic religions are blood thirsty.

Nunya

#153504 Feb 11, 2013
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
Never really a "space drink", just good commercialization.
Oh hell, that was the only reason I drank that swill.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Atlanta, Georgia

#153505 Feb 11, 2013
Mylan wrote:
<quoted text>LOL.... Redneck isn't stupid, he just has bad luck when it comes to thinking :p
Your kanji -- Japanese or Chinese?(I know, it means basically the same in both, just curious.)

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#153506 Feb 11, 2013
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
Try reading the bible. Pick any translation you like!
Exodus 21
21st Century King James Version (KJ21)
21 “Now these are the judgments which thou shalt set before them:
Exodus 21
American Standard Version (ASV)
21 Now these are the ordinances which thou shalt set before them.
Exodus 21
Amplified Bible (AMP)
21 Now these are the ordinances you [Moses] shall set before [the Israelites].
Exodus 21
Common English Bible (CEB)
Instructions about slaves
21 These are the case laws that you should set before them:
Exodus 21
Complete Jewish Bible (CJB)
Parashah 18: Mishpatim (Rulings) 21:1–24:18
21 “These are the rulings you are to present to them:
Exodus 21
Contemporary English Version (CEV)
Hebrew Slaves
21 The Lord gave Moses the following laws for his people:
Exodus 21
Darby Translation (DARBY)
21 And these are the judgments which thou shalt set before them.
Exodus 21
Douay-Rheims 1899 American Edition (DRA)
21 These are the judgments which thou shalt set before them.
Perfect, thank you. 8 proofs for you that show those laws were for ancient Israelites, not all Christians in every day & age.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#153507 Feb 11, 2013
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow! 16 minutes and you can't pick a translation! How fu[king stupid are you?
Hey, look at that! It's been 3 hours.....

Relax, man. This is a thread, not a phone call.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#153508 Feb 11, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah, I know all those dumb ass scientist who don't know their ass from their elbow. Herfe they are lying once again, should be a law against it. We should also outlaw the process of mathematical extrapolation to get information.
They "Believe" with verifiable evidence, you "believe" with......ahhh...errr....oh yeah, a touch on the head!!!! Yeah,,,,Right!!!
Now maybe you could show us how very smart you are by pointing out the flaw of using meteorites to date the age of our solar system....ready...set......GO! !! Well dumb ass, how about it,,,,,GO!! LOL nothing....yeah I thought so.
WTF does my faith in God have to do with the age of Mars?

That's a typical atheist response, you know.

"I disagree with you! You're an idiot that lets your stupid religion interfere with your reasoning!"

What's your excuse, blackie? You say those scientists have "verifiable evidence" of the age of Mars.

What friggin evidence?

Just answer THAT!
bohart

Newport, TN

#153509 Feb 11, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Youngblood, don't feel angry that you were led down a false path. It wasn't as deliberate as your emotions in reaction to it would lead you to believe.
The very essence of "being" is an action/reaction thingy. Analogous to a flashlight being turned on in a dark room and suddenly it "sees" and tries to figure out what is and what ain't.
When you get into the nitty gritty of physics you will discover that what you see is all mirrors. It is in the nature of energy transfers. You can't see transmitted light, just what it bounces off of, or more accurately, what it stimulates to emit it's own light potential.
Look around, you are somewhere, you just don't know where.
You are in the funhouse with everyone else, lost in the maze and trying to find the way out. You will hear the voices of those who think they found the way, and maybe follow them. That is the voices of religion and science. People just as lost as you are, but they think they smell the entrance. They may have, but they aren't anywhere near the entrance, to see what is outside.
You are stuck in the funhouse until your batteries go dead and the mirrors you follow cease to be seen. Not a bit of sense in letting the hollers of others interfere with your experience and exploration and enjoyment while you can. Just remember the funhouse and the flashlight were provided for your amusement.
There may be a charge to get back out of it, though. Maybe just a simple thanks.
Enjoyed that.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#153510 Feb 11, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Holy Shit, you do live under a friggin rock, who knew. So you know all about "the robot"on Mars"....really, what do they call it? How long has it been there? What is its function? What has it discovered so far? I'll be waiting.........."I know all about the Robot on Mars." Yeah right..........Oh and here's a little clue for ya,,,,there is more than One on Mars. Get busy slacker!!!!
As usual, you missed the point.

I'm not surprised.

Take a Rover, stick in in the Sahara, take some photos, then you'll ASSUME you know all about the Earth, right?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#153511 Feb 11, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>I abhor willful ignorance. I have zero tolerance for stupidity, and have no belief system. I'm not gullible enough to belong to a church. You know what they say about animals......."Animals don't have Gods, there're smarter than that."
Then you should hate yourself.....

Where's your verifiable evidence of the age of Mars?

Nunya

#153512 Feb 11, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
"I disagree with you! You're an idiot that lets your stupid religion interfere with your reasoning!"
What's your excuse, blackie? You say those scientists have "verifiable evidence" of the age of Mars.
What friggin evidence?
Just answer THAT!
They've sent probes to Mars for years now.

Nunya

#153513 Feb 11, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
What friggin evidence?
Just answer THAT!
A question that lingered in many ancient astronomers minds was ”how old is Mars?” Of course, they wondered the same thing about the other planets and the Sun, as well. Today, scientists believe that Mars, and the remainder of the Solar System formed about 4.6 billion years ago from the solar nebula.

Since no one has ever retrieved a piece of Martian rock for study, this assumption is arrived at by studying meteorites, Moon rocks, and the oldest rocks here on Earth. Meteorites have been around since the beginning, so if everything formed at once, then all meteorites should be the same age. We could compare the age of Earth’s original rock to determine this if it had not be recycled deep underground by volcanism and erosion, but studying the oldest rock on the planet gives a general idea to scientists.

Read more: http://www.universetoday.com/14852/how-old-is...
bohart

Newport, TN

#153514 Feb 11, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> We have no other evidence, to rely on.
We can see nearly from the creation of the first stars till now.
There is nothing circular in this empirical observational and
recorded data. We can calculate using the Hubble constant and all other supportive data , nearly the precise moment of this universes creation. Plot its progression , to the creation of our own star and our solar system. We know how Earth formed and how( not exactly how life started) but how life started and progressed for the entire history of Earth.
What we do not see is an intervening skydaddy you so would love to present as the reason. There is nothing in our history that shows that to be so. Only your fanatical belief that the mythological and superstitious minds that deceived you are right in the book of historical fiction.
In short , you have been led around by your short sword.
You know how life started , just not exactly how! Ha,Ha,Ha, your science!You have the faith of the Roman centurian.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#153515 Feb 11, 2013
madscot wrote:
<quoted text>
They've sent probes to Mars for years now.
I know.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#153516 Feb 11, 2013
madscot wrote:
<quoted text>
A question that lingered in many ancient astronomers minds was ”how old is Mars?” Of course, they wondered the same thing about the other planets and the Sun, as well. Today, scientists believe that Mars, and the remainder of the Solar System formed about 4.6 billion years ago from the solar nebula.
Since no one has ever retrieved a piece of Martian rock for study, this assumption is arrived at by studying meteorites, Moon rocks, and the oldest rocks here on Earth. Meteorites have been around since the beginning, so if everything formed at once, then all meteorites should be the same age. We could compare the age of Earth’s original rock to determine this if it had not be recycled deep underground by volcanism and erosion, but studying the oldest rock on the planet gives a general idea to scientists.
Read more: http://www.universetoday.com/14852/how-old-is...
Right, the assumption is arrived by studying everything possible, just not Mars.

Got it.

Nunya

#153517 Feb 11, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Right, the assumption is arrived by studying everything possible, just not Mars.
Got it.
And? You do realize that the Curiosity Rover has equipment to test that so it can be confirmed, don't you?

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#153518 Feb 11, 2013
bohart wrote:
<quoted text>
You know how life started , just not exactly how! Ha,Ha,Ha, your science!You have the faith of the Roman centurian.

You have the ignorance of a rebellious child.

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#153519 Feb 12, 2013
Tacitus an imperial roman would never have wrote Christ on an official work. It would be like a Rabbi going on Facebook saying how much he loves pork chops.

And again at the time there were several Christ figures, hundreds of messiah wannabes. Ben if he had been talking about the Christian messiah he at best was merely repeating what Christians told him supposedly happened. This and dozens of other reasons is why even many Christian historians are not accepting the Tacitus forged passages that appear in the 15th century but never before.

Then again you can't tell the difference between blood letting and getting blood work done at a hospital.
BBSting wrote:
<quoted text>
Oops! My bad! These comments were meant for the mentally deranged resident troll, gimmeliberty. Specifically his post #153195

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Christians More Supportive of Torture Than Non-... 10 min Geezerjock 1
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 2 hr Uncle Sam 2,282
A New Kinder, Gentler Atheism 3 hr _Bad Company 143
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 15 hr polymath257 23,199
Can Atheists Know God Does Not Exist When They ... 21 hr Yiago 148
Islam is the Enemy (Sep '12) Sat thetruth 34
God' existence Sat thetruth 67
More from around the web