Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 254916 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#153383 Feb 11, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Oh yeah, those powerful hi-def cameras should be able to pick up evidence of microscopic life buried under rock and sand no problem. I wonder why they can't detect fossilized remains hidden deep in rock formations. Nope no life at all, lets move on, nothing to see here.
HEY! duckie12 was a Navy ROTC! He knows all about the military and what the government's HiDef cameras can do and if he says that they can see under rocks, then by god, they can see microbes under the rocks!

You fly high, duckie one two!

Eagle12

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#153384 Feb 11, 2013
TheBlackSheep wrote:
When a man strikes his male or female slave with a rod so hard that the slave dies under his hand, he shall be punished. If, however, the slave survives for a day or two, he is not to be punished, since the slave is his own property.(Exodus 21:20-21 NAB)
If you buy a Hebrew slave, he is to serve for only six years. Set him free in the seventh year, and he will owe you nothing for his freedom. If he was single when he became your slave and then married afterward, only he will go free in the seventh year. But if he was married before he became a slave, then his wife will be freed with him. If his master gave him a wife while he was a slave, and they had sons or daughters, then the man will be free in the seventh year, but his wife and children will still belong to his master. But the slave may plainly declare,'I love my master, my wife, and my children. I would rather not go free.' If he does this, his master must present him before God. Then his master must take him to the door and publicly pierce his ear with an awl. After that, the slave will belong to his master forever.(Exodus 21:2-6 NLT)
<quoted text>
You nailed that one! It is rubbish.
This continuous spamming is proof there is a purpose to scam the readers by bringing scripture out of context and misrepresentation of scripture over and over. Repeated spamming.

Everyone enjoy this mans spamming, because he will repeat it another 100 times before the end of the year.

If anyone is serious about hearing a recant to this nonsense about rape. I’ll be glad to repost the 6 pages outlining that rape was illegal in the bible punishable by death.

“Seventh son”

Since: Dec 10

Will Prevail

#153385 Feb 11, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
How can that which is caused, cause itself?
It doesn't get anymore viciously circular and therefore illogical, than that...
And do you have any empirical evidence of this, or is this just your mere opinion?
We have no other evidence, to rely on.
We can see nearly from the creation of the first stars till now.
There is nothing circular in this empirical observational and
recorded data. We can calculate using the Hubble constant and all other supportive data , nearly the precise moment of this universes creation. Plot its progression , to the creation of our own star and our solar system. We know how Earth formed and how( not exactly how life started) but how life started and progressed for the entire history of Earth.

What we do not see is an intervening skydaddy you so would love to present as the reason. There is nothing in our history that shows that to be so. Only your fanatical belief that the mythological and superstitious minds that deceived you are right in the book of historical fiction.

In short , you have been led around by your short sword.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's teapot

#153386 Feb 11, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
This continuous spamming is proof there is a purpose to scam the readers by bringing scripture out of context and misrepresentation of scripture over and over. Repeated spamming.
Everyone enjoy this mans spamming, because he will repeat it another 100 times before the end of the year.
If anyone is serious about hearing a recant to this nonsense about rape. I’ll be glad to repost the 6 pages outlining that rape was illegal in the bible punishable by death.
Using only biblical text, and nothing else?

“Seventh son”

Will Prevail

#153387 Feb 11, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Modern physics has not proven that an uncaused cause exists.
It has theorised about the possibility and like most atheists, you have taken a theory and tried to pretend it is empirical evidence.
You have no evidence for this, only the faith that atheism requires...
The physical laws of the universe did not exist until the universe cooled enough to allow them to exist.

The scale of temperature and pressures is not reproducible in any model, or does not make sense to the physical laws we are bound to.
It is like the extreme edges of quantum physics and what we know of
gasses at near absolute zero. They defy all reason, so at energy levels we cannot reproduce , we know very little.

There maybe another set of physical laws we are yet to understand at scales we cannot yet imagine.

Since: Sep 08

La Veta, CO

#153388 Feb 11, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> Logic and origin do not mix, specifically because logic breaks down when confronted with an absurd paradox.
You must accept there is no reasoning or cause for the first effect.
I know you reason it was god, but then you must answer , what caused god? Then we have an infinite regression of gods.
There is no evidence of gods why put one in the equation?
You will next say special pleading that god is eternal.
But you have not one evidence of eternal gods.
The universe always was, and it did not need a god to create us.
:-)

So what created the universe?

“Seventh son”

Will Prevail

#153389 Feb 11, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
You argument for the First Cause was one of the following:
1. Infinite regress.
2. Uncaused cause.
3. Don't know.
4. Not God.
5. Quantum.
But so far you have stated that it can be any of the above, but the one thing it cannot be, absolutely is:
God
Showing that you are actually totally opposed to the idea of God, right from the start.
Proving the case, that you are indeed suppressing the truth of God as you cannot even allow the idea of God to the table.
Which is not rational.
You have zero evidence of god, but we have evidence of spooky action at a distance....and a host of other quantum effects.

Want to talk quantum entanglement?

“Seventh son”

Will Prevail

#153390 Feb 11, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Causality cannot happen without the laws of logic...
Causality is logical by its very nature.
As is reason,(when practiced properly).
All pointing to the logical First Cause.
But you don't want to go there.
So you have to deny either causality or the laws of logic to prevent yourself from going there.
Which one will it be today?
Why , because you say so?

There are much smarter people who are discovering you are wrong.
Poly knows this, and is trying to explain it to you.

Maybe you should listen instead of talk?

“Seventh son”

Will Prevail

#153391 Feb 11, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
How could it not be?
Time was caused, that is painfully obvious.
So whatever caused Time, had to be eternal/uncaused.
That time and energy regresses back to origin, is the reason that the Big Bang theory was proposed.
It is obvious that it all started somewhere.
It could have been an echo , or hiccup , or even another universe.

Since: Sep 08

La Veta, CO

#153392 Feb 11, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> You have zero evidence of god, but we have evidence of spooky action at a distance....and a host of other quantum effects.
Want to talk quantum entanglement?
Amusing.

Spooky actions that violate your non-circular logic of science. Things appear and disappear, or don't work the way that non-circular logic predicted.

Yep, no possible way there can be a higher entity interacting with this universe. Just spooky anomalies.

Right?

“Seventh son”

Will Prevail

#153393 Feb 11, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
:-)
I do not pretend to know, but am pretty sure it wasn't like the creation story of the bible Dave.

I think it is beyond our understanding atm, but we may eventually figure it out. There probably are many universes expanding out of this one,and out expanding out of many others.

“Seventh son”

Will Prevail

#153394 Feb 11, 2013
And...Ours expanding out of many others...

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#153395 Feb 11, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Before you can properly read & understand Leviticus, you must first attempt to understand why the Levites needed laws.
Can you?
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
You can say that with a straight face? Really?
But you don't really expect anyone to fall for it, do you?
You do? Then you are fu{king stupid. Sorry, I did try to sugar coat it, but I don't lie.
You could've just wrote "Gosh, I don't know."

“YO BOO”

Since: Sep 07

land of BOO

#153396 Feb 11, 2013
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
Including hell, the serpent, Satan, the decision to send people to be tortured for all eternity just for not groveling enough, etc. What a vile and hateful deity to cower to.
God made all!!! so you hate him huh?

“YO BOO”

land of BOO

#153397 Feb 11, 2013
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, my Supreme Holy Book says that anyone who follows any other book, is stupid. My book was written in the hearts of men long before your god was thought of. I know this because my Supreme Holy Book says so.
I don't believe you...

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#153398 Feb 11, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>So reading an article from a scientific journal by a well know scientists does not constitute an education? REALLY? You mean you must actually sit in the classroom and take notes? Thats the only way we can educate ourselves? WOW, I guess you're serious!!! Must suck to be you!!!
Doesn't it fry your ass that we know more about the age of Mars than we do about your God. Here we have empirical evidence for the age of Mars, a big piece of rock orbiting the sun, how very much we know about it, yet the supposed creator of this rock and everything else in the universe, has not a shred of verifiable evidence. Oh, thats right, he actually touched you on the head.....cue the twilight zone music!!!!!
"we have empirical evidence for the age of Mars"

Please, divulge this evidence...

You can't, you know you can't.

The age of Mats is estimated & assumed based on the age of meteors, not based on the age of Martian rocks or soil.

Again, please share your secret knowledge of empirical evidence on the age of Mars.
Acadia

Hagerstown, MD

#153399 Feb 11, 2013
T-Town Clown wrote:
But for those who are self-seeking and who reject the truth and follow evil, there will be wrath and anger" (Rom. 2:8).
This verse is what keeps troubling atheists. They know they are guilty and their time is just about up, thank God.

“YO BOO”

land of BOO

#153400 Feb 11, 2013
There is a judge for the one who rejects me and does not accept my words; that very word which I spoke will condemn him at the last day" (Jn. 12:48).

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#153401 Feb 11, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>:-)

A quantum foam fart.

Just like in your hot tub.

You're a creator of universes, Dave.

“YO BOO”

land of BOO

#153402 Feb 11, 2013
2 Timothy 3:16-- "All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness.");
the writers are inspired of God

(2 Peter 1:21-- "For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.");

I believe the holy word of God...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism, for Good Reason, Fears Questions (Jun '09) 1 hr scientia potentia... 11,463
News Here are 10 myths and truths about atheism 1 hr nanoanomaly 44
News Speaking for God 2 hr Jaimie 556
Religion Down Suicide Up 3 hr Insults Are Easier 70
News In America, atheists are still in the closet (Apr '12) 3 hr Patrick 50,943
News Revered Artist Was an Atheist Who Rejected God.... 5 hr woodtick57 46
News Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 6 hr ChristineM 9,604
What is of greater value for humanity: Chrisita... 8 hr Amused 356
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 10 hr READMORE 29,473
More from around the web