Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 247262 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“YO BOO”

Since: Sep 07

land of BOO

#153360 Feb 11, 2013
Hedonist wrote:
<quoted text>
So, if that is an "absolute moral" statement, then you are saying all Buddhists, Hindus, and all other religions are immoral. Is that really the statement you want to make?
The holy bible says Jesus is the only way

“YO BOO”

land of BOO

#153361 Feb 11, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>is it your contention that before mankind existed a rock could exist and not exist at the same time?
Since you appear to deal in absolutes, do you ABSOLUTELY know that a rock can exists and not exists at the same time?
Remove yourself from your self-made psudo-intellecte for one moment and tell me if logically a rock can exist and cannot exist at the same time.
GOD made everything

“YO BOO”

land of BOO

#153362 Feb 11, 2013
But for those who are self-seeking and who reject the truth and follow evil, there will be wrath and anger" (Rom. 2:8).

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#153363 Feb 11, 2013
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>The holy bible says Jesus is the only way
The Bagavad Gita says Shiva answers all prayers.

“YO BOO”

land of BOO

#153364 Feb 11, 2013
He who is not with me is against me, and he who does not gather with me scatters" (Matt. 12:30).
"There is a judge for the one who rejects me and does not accept my words; that very word which I spoke will condemn him at the last day" (Jn. 12:48).
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#153365 Feb 11, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
No.
A rock cannot exist and not exist in the same place, the same time and in the same sense.
Because that would contradict the universal logical law of non-contradiction.
But you now have a problem.
Because you have claimed that man created the laws of logic.
So before mankind existed a rock could exist and not exist at the same time, in the same place and in the same sense.
This is what your atheism reduces you to.
Absurdity.
Isn't it about time you abandoned the illogical?
You lied once again...WTF is with you skippy. I NEVER said the laws of logic were created by man. Go back and read what I actually said.
Good boy, your right, a rock cannot exists and exist at the same time, whether man is present or not. A rock could never exist and exist at the same time whether it be now or 4.6 billion years ago. Man simple incorporated that fact into his experience. He ADOPTED that fact, he made it his PROPERTY. Look past you pseudo-bullshit and do your best to comprehend.

“ecrasez l'infame”

Since: May 08

Atlanta, Georgia

#153366 Feb 11, 2013
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>GOD made everything
Including hell, the serpent, Satan, the decision to send people to be tortured for all eternity just for not groveling enough, etc. What a vile and hateful deity to cower to.

“YO BOO”

land of BOO

#153367 Feb 11, 2013
1 Thessalonians 2:13-- "Ye received the Word of God which ye heard of us, ye received it not as the word of men, but as it is in truth, the Word of God, which effectually worketh also in you that believe."

If you don't believe the word of Almighty GOD you can't understand it...

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#153368 Feb 11, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Before you can properly read & understand Leviticus, you must first attempt to understand why the Levites needed laws.
Can you?
You can say that with a straight face? Really?

But you don't really expect anyone to fall for it, do you?

You do? Then you are fu{king stupid. Sorry, I did try to sugar coat it, but I don't lie.

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#153369 Feb 11, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
Your example doesn't apply, simply because there is one requirement to being a Christian, the acceptance and belief that the Jesus! existed, was the son of the YAHWEH! and died for your "sin", etc...
Who are you to say that anyone that says they are a Christian has not and does not believe that? So what if they're a bad one, one one that isn't exemplary. Remember?, "sin is built in", in your belief set. You can try to do better, but you are expected to succumb to "sin", you can't escape it in your religious mythology.
It(being a Christian) is a construct or process of the mind, and does not require a license, a diploma, a degree or some sort of verification in order to provide a service or function, like the example you gave -*does*.
That's a specious and disingenuous tactic you employ when you give such an example.
Don't forget...
They said the Jesus! wasn't a "real Jew", either.
Who are you to claim that Frank William Abagnale, Jr. wasn’t an Emergency Room Supervisor or an Airline Pilot for Pan Am at the age of 17? He claimed he was.

Denis Rader claimed he was a Christian, but was he really?

What one claims and what they really are can be two different things. A requisite for Christianity is obedience.
Notice what the scripture below says. It takes more than attendance to a church. It takes obeying Christ teachings.

Denis Rader attended church services and was active in his church. Yet he didn’t follow Christ teachings when he murdered 10 people over several years.

Matthew 7:21
King James Version (KJV)

21. Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

John 8:31

Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#153370 Feb 11, 2013
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>The holy bible says Jesus is the only way
Well, my Supreme Holy Book says that anyone who follows any other book, is stupid. My book was written in the hearts of men long before your god was thought of. I know this because my Supreme Holy Book says so.
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#153371 Feb 11, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Reading a blog or an article in a magazine does not constitute an education.
Nobody on Earth KNOWS the age of Mars. It's age is merely speculated.
To think otherwise shows your lack of education.
So reading an article from a scientific journal by a well know scientists does not constitute an education? REALLY? You mean you must actually sit in the classroom and take notes? Thats the only way we can educate ourselves? WOW, I guess you're serious!!! Must suck to be you!!!

Doesn't it fry your ass that we know more about the age of Mars than we do about your God. Here we have empirical evidence for the age of Mars, a big piece of rock orbiting the sun, how very much we know about it, yet the supposed creator of this rock and everything else in the universe, has not a shred of verifiable evidence. Oh, thats right, he actually touched you on the head.....cue the twilight zone music!!!!!
Turkey

Oswego, NY

#153372 Feb 11, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Your thinking is based upon the gathering of a lot of misinformation. Don't forget those you get it from are the same that taught and preached religion in other times as a science.
You are not the first or only man in history with the passion and belief in their righteousness to stand on a mountaintop to rail against the Creator of all things. Such may impress other men, but not an entity on that level. It wouldn't even elicit a yawn from it. You are shooting your wad in the bathroom.
I have an IQ that will get me into MENSA, and have spent my life dealing in the physical world and cause and effect in the lower social strata. I haven't had the training of how to think like yourself, or the elevated position to limit my perspectives of reality. You have driven down the highway of life in the dark with your bright lights on, I have walked the side of the road. You would be amazed at what you missed seeing.
You are likely to not understand the significance of that allegory in your rush to judgments.
I have also had the experience of my consciousness being totally dissociated from my existence as a material being. Full consciousness that transformed. It went through the agony of separation. It got its pink slip from this grand production. It was suddenly unemployed. Yet during the entire event there was not the slightest hint or thought that its consciousness would cease to exist. Not in the slightest. No going to sleep for evermore. It actually found a new job and was waiting to step into it before getting a call from this one to return to work just seconds before committing itself.
It was a very vast, dark, and empty space it occupied. Not a soul to be seen, but an intelligent force it wished to avoid. It's only escape was the new job it had.
Of course it was still linked to this physical body, otherwise I couldn't remember the events. It takes meat to store those things. Spirits just wander and do things. But the experience definitely disproved the closing your eyes and going into eternal sleep unconscious you would like to believe. I was just hit by a large truck out of nowhere. Was not a drug or hospital thing where a stage was set.
There was a sense of gratefulness to humanity for pulling me back. But the subsequent events are another story. What you read of my saying we are part of a larger entity is a derived perception based upon that and a technological analysis.
You rant and rave about fear of death and such as the reason for religion. I experienced it. You haven't. I believe in a higher order of things.
There were other aspects of the event I don't have space to relate here.
You are the coolest dude in the forum. Atheist resist truth and wisdom. The rejected stone turned out to be the headstone of the corner.
Turkey

Oswego, NY

#153373 Feb 11, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>More mystical bullshit without a shred of evidence to support you rantings. Define "soul" show how medical science can detect such a thing. If it's part of our physical makeup, this should be easy. If it's NOT part of our physical makeup, then who can you or anyone else know it exists?
Soul is a religious invention, its allows the physical body to die and still allow you to experience an afterlife, very convenient invention. Soul, Sin, Heaven, Hell, at one time Purgatory, all religious inventions none with any proof that they actually exist. Whats next, "can you physically show feelings like Love, Hate, Joy.? Those are emotions and can be detected within the physical brain. Soul is just......well what the hell is a soul? More religious mumbo jumbo.
Hey douchebag, hell needs fodder

“The Edge”

Since: Dec 10

Of Tomorow

#153374 Feb 11, 2013
UIDIOTRACEMAKEWORLDPEACE wrote:
oh yes it is ! but! PAradoxically IRONIC! Our American Sheeooople need to wake up US corrupted in power is ruining US AND WORLD WITH US WAR MACHINES!
This Is What our US right wing Christian nation stand for
US iNTERNATIONAL WAR CRIMES & CRIMES AGAINST HUMANITY -
UNITED STATES WAR & INTERVENTIONS
MILITARY INTERVENTIONS, COVERT OPERATIONS, COUPS AND ATTEMPTED COUPS, ELECTION INTERFERENCE, REGIME CHANGE, COLOR REVOLUTIONS
Hiroshima and Nagasaki (Japan), Philippines, South Korea, Lebanon, Iran, Guatemala, Cuba, Congo/Zaire, Brazil,
Greece, Poland, Turkey, Dominican Republic, Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, Indonesia, Chile, Angola, East TImor, Nicaragua,
Grenada, Panama, Kyrgyzstan, Haiti, Yugoslavia, Georgia, Ukraine, Argentina, Ghana, Venezuela, Bolivia, Hondoras,
Paraguay, Mexico, El Salvador, Iraq, Afghanistan, Sudan, Somalia, Pakistan, Yemen, Tunesia, Egypt, Libya, Syria,...
"If Nuremberg were applied, then every post-war American president would have been hanged."
Noam Chomsky
Above is just tip of iceberg of US evils as Christian nation, not include are US wars since the inception of a US militaristic .US imperialistic Empire !
How did you get out your cell again? N/M get back indey.
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#153375 Feb 11, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I don’t mean to rain on your parade Doctor but the entire planet of Mars has been photographed with advance state of the art hi def cameras. Not the cameras from the 1960’s but update equipment. Pictures that can be enlarged thousands of times. They have been able to produce 3-D images of the surface of Mars.
You can keep holding out if you like but it don’t look good on finding any signs of life.
Oh yeah, those powerful hi-def cameras should be able to pick up evidence of microscopic life buried under rock and sand no problem. I wonder why they can't detect fossilized remains hidden deep in rock formations. Nope no life at all, lets move on, nothing to see here.

Since: Sep 08

Westcliffe, CO

#153376 Feb 11, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>I'll take as a fact that you know absolutely nothing about music. having established that fact, the music you offered up as a joke is actually very complex, much like the mind of the Atheist. There is polytonality on various levels, an expanding form, and multiple melodic motives being developed, some of them simultaneously. Itv only sounds weird to the untrained and shallow mind. Thanks for showing how truly complex and expansive the Atheists mind really is. Now go listen to your children music. You know the music that reflects your mind, simplistic, rigid, no room for any real growth, and dogmatic.
Whooo!

What started out to be a joke turned out to be a truth!!

They can make their own reality out of noise.
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#153377 Feb 11, 2013
Turkey wrote:
<quoted text> Hey douchebag, hell needs fodder
Hell, you mean that mythical place like Peter Pan's never-never land? Demons with pointy tails and pitch forks, Grow the f--k up you poor slob. ROTFLMAO!!!!!!

“The Edge”

Since: Dec 10

Of Tomorow

#153378 Feb 11, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
So you are arguing that the laws of logic are in no way related to causality?
Logic and origin do not mix, specifically because logic breaks down when confronted with an absurd paradox.

You must accept there is no reasoning or cause for the first effect.

I know you reason it was god, but then you must answer , what caused god? Then we have an infinite regression of gods.
There is no evidence of gods why put one in the equation?

You will next say special pleading that god is eternal.
But you have not one evidence of eternal gods.

The universe always was, and it did not need a god to create us.
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#153379 Feb 11, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Whooo!
What started out to be a joke turned out to be a truth!!
They can make their own reality out of noise.
It's only noise to the musically illiterate. I wouldn't be so quick to expose your complete ignorance to music and most likely the arts in general. I can only imagine that you think Currier and Ives is real art, and that three chord rock and roll is the hight of musical expression. Now back to your children music!!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News In America, atheists are still in the closet (Apr '12) 1 hr -Stray Dog 47,768
News Si Robertson, 'Duck Dynasty' Star, Says Atheist... 1 hr Shizle 51
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 2 hr Shizle 12,476
News Atheism, the Bible and sexual orientation 2 hr QUITTNER Aug 29 2015 3
News As an atheist, how do I maintain my relationshi... 3 hr thetruth 19
Proof of God for the Atheist 4 hr thetruth 100
News Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) 17 hr Reason Personified 14,712
More from around the web