Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Comments (Page 7,361)

Showing posts 147,201 - 147,220 of223,093
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>The two mars rovers primary mission was to examine and send back data on rocks and soil samples. They originally were to function for 90 days. Spirt was stuck in loose sand for nine months and became inoperable and now is used as a platform for observation. For all of the time these robots have been on Mars they have investigated a mere 11 miles of the planets surface. Considering how long Mars has been a dead planet and considering how difficult it is right here on earth to find long dead organisms, I think it's a little too soon to say that Mars has no evidence of past life. We have yet to investigate the two polar ice caps which contain liquid water.
There is NO pendulum and there is simply too much evidence on our own Planet that fully supports the facts of evolution, to entertain the science-less claims for creationism.
I donít mean to rain on your parade Doctor but the entire planet of Mars has been photographed with advance state of the art hi def cameras. Not the cameras from the 1960ís but update equipment. Pictures that can be enlarged thousands of times. They have been able to produce 3-D images of the surface of Mars.

You can keep holding out if you like but it donít look good on finding any signs of life.

Southern Illinois

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

Givemeliberty wrote:
So do you think it is moral to own slaves? Stop dodging the question.
<quoted text>
I think that's the same question Moses asked Pharaoh?

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
All effects are caused.
Basic causality, upon which science is based...
You can deny that if you see fit.
In fact you might need to if you want to hold onto your particular views.
In fact, you have to, to maintain your absurd position...:-)
You see error has to deny truth to try to maintain its hold over truth.
So you have no choice but to keep denying even the most basic truths of the universe, to support your error.
Proving the very point I am making.:-)
What caused god?

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I donít mean to rain on your parade Doctor but the entire planet of Mars has been photographed with advance state of the art hi def cameras. Not the cameras from the 1960ís but update equipment. Pictures that can be enlarged thousands of times. They have been able to produce 3-D images of the surface of Mars.
You can keep holding out if you like but it donít look good on finding any signs of life.
I don't think anyone expected to find any macroscopic life, but
are adamant there is the possibility of finding the microscopic traces.
Thinking

Hounslow, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

Your bible says jesus was OK with slavery.
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I think that's the same question Moses asked Pharaoh?

Southern Illinois

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

Givemeliberty wrote:
Lmfao! At best any of them repeated what Christians told them about Jesus, btw Josephus and Tacitus both wrote about Hercules so are you saying he was real?
<quoted text>
Youíre making your typical assumptions and trying to justify your poorly thought out position. If Jesus and Pontius Pilatus were a myth. Then history would have reflected so.

Your feeble attempts to discredit history is not changing history. Itís already been written for thousands of years. You have absolutely nothing but wild conjectures with no proof other than your own opinion.

Youíre not a history professor for the time period nor a expert on Roman history. Why should anyone believe you?

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

We have secular proof for Pilate and many Pharaohs but zero for Jesus and Moses. Josephus and Tacitus both wrote several times about Hercules so are you saying he existed?

The Josephus Jesus passage btw was forged into his work centuries later.

Outside the bible we have zero historical proof for Jesus or Moses. These are the stone cold facts. I know you don't like them but that doesn't change them.

So your bible god condones and even orders slavery, rape, genocide and putting every infant to the sword. Are these moral actions?
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Youíre making your typical assumptions and trying to justify your poorly thought out position. If Jesus and Pontius Pilatus were a myth. Then history would have reflected so.
Your feeble attempts to discredit history is not changing history. Itís already been written for thousands of years. You have absolutely nothing but wild conjectures with no proof other than your own opinion.
Youíre not a history professor for the time period nor a expert on Roman history. Why should anyone believe you?

Southern Illinois

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Rather long-winded, but still an iteration of the good ol' "No True Scotsman" fallacy. Adam Lanza and his mother were both Christians.
And Revelation? Really?
Anyone who's read that has to conclude that it's the hallucinatory raving of an utter lunatic.
Ironic how people who donít believe in God define who is and isnít a Christian. As if to say you are some sort of authority on the subject.

Under your analogy Denis Rader known also as BTK was a true to the core Christian since he attended a Lutheran Church. Never mind that he was a mass murder. To you he was a fine example of Christianity.

I guess you would count Judas Iscariot a example of Christianity too. Even though history seeís him as the betrayer.

If I may use your words,ďhallucinatory raving of an utter lunatic.Ē That phrase of yours would fit Denis Rader and you very nicely. Christianity requires more than occasional attendance but obedience to Christ teachings.

It doesnít matter how the average infidel defines Christianity. Itís how God defines it.

Southern Illinois

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

Judged:

Thinking wrote:
Your bible says jesus was OK with slavery.
<quoted text>
Please provide the names of the slaves Jesus owned and the scripture reference where he said he was ok with slavery.
blacklagoon

Brookline, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You follow the herd, or you follow your own path.
You will know the truth a couple minutes after your heart stops.
In the meantime, why do you feel so compelled to tell others they are wrong? 7 billion is over 200 years worth of seconds. That is just the people alive today. Why do you think the vast majority of them choose to believe in a deity? I will guarantee a large portion of them were more intelligent or educated than you think you are.
Following my own path has nothing to do with gathering information.

You might want to stop throwing around words who's meaning you seem to misunderstand. TRUTH, that which is true in accordance with FACT or REALITY. You have NO truth about what happens after we die. You have a belief which insulates you and others from your fear of death. And fear is the motivator, the reason billion of people believe in a deity. Such a warm and comfy feeling to know that death is something to be embraced, something to actually look forward to. Without this belief you face a cold darkness, oblivion, NOTHING. Yes I can see very well why the fear of death spawns billions to worship a deity.

A little research will show that Atheist actually have an IQ greater than those who believe. Has to do with logic and reason I think.

I personally think religion is dangerous, dangerous to individuals and a danger to society. I think it is extremely unhealthy to harbor a belief without evidence, and to believe in something for no good reason. To believe simply because it makes you feel all warm and fuzzy. Our beliefs inform our actions, we should have evidence for our beliefs.
Acadia

Hagerstown, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

Thinking wrote:
Whereas you told me to "GFY", sweetie? You silly cult.
<quoted text>
I had to put it in terms only an atheist could relate to. You're so low, putting it in a loving , kind way would have gone over your greasy head.
Acadia

Hagerstown, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

Judged:

Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Please provide the names of the slaves Jesus owned and the scripture reference where he said he was ok with slavery.
He's a weak atheist coward, he won't be able to do it.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

Thinking wrote:
If Edward I is in there, the first of the Plantagenets, and no saint himself, it would make sense to have the last one there too.
York Minster's beautiful though. Well worth the travel.
But Richard's got 527 years of unpaid parking charges to settle with Leicester's city council first.
<quoted text>
I say amnesty for the chap, on the parking tickets.
blacklagoon

Brookline, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

Dave Nelson wrote:
Behind every pair of eyes you look into lies a soul. Physical bodies are just glorified filters and devices interfacing. What goes on behind the eyes has to go through that filter to express itself. There is complex linkage within that filter that can block that soul's expression, and affect the processing of what it receives. Things get mistranslated.
You can't judge a book by it's cover, but these Topix atheists don't seem to understand that. They are strictly cause and effect of the physical world. If they weren't told Stephen Hawkings was brilliant, they would hold him in much less regard because he can't communicate so well.
They have the same problem.
More mystical bullshit without a shred of evidence to support you rantings. Define "soul" show how medical science can detect such a thing. If it's part of our physical makeup, this should be easy. If it's NOT part of our physical makeup, then who can you or anyone else know it exists?

Soul is a religious invention, its allows the physical body to die and still allow you to experience an afterlife, very convenient invention. Soul, Sin, Heaven, Hell, at one time Purgatory, all religious inventions none with any proof that they actually exist. Whats next, "can you physically show feelings like Love, Hate, Joy.? Those are emotions and can be detected within the physical brain. Soul is just......well what the hell is a soul? More religious mumbo jumbo.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
If they find life on Mars like on the Vegas Strip, with neon flashing lights. Iím going to say,ďIíll be damn.Ē
Yeah, you probably will.
Thinking

Hounslow, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

You, for one. But I did not say jesus owned slaves, I said jesus was OK with slavery.

Slaves, obey your earthly masters with deep respect and fear. Serve them sincerely as you would serve Christ.(Ephesians 6:5 NLT)

Christians who are slaves should give their masters full respect so that the name of God and his teaching will not be shamed. If your master is a Christian, that is no excuse for being disrespectful. You should work all the harder because you are helping another believer by your efforts. Teach these truths, Timothy, and encourage everyone to obey them.(1 Timothy 6:1-2 NLT)

Fancy being the next pope?
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

Judas is a mythological work of fiction like the green goblin.

Even the name Judas Iscariot is a slap in the face of Jewish people basically meaning Jewish assassin or Jewish liar. Obviously it is a made up fictional character.

Wow you are really bad at this Daffy.
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess you would count Judas Iscariot a example of Christianity too. Even though history seeís him as the betrayer.
If I may use your words,ďhallucinatory raving of an utter lunatic.Ē That phrase of yours would fit Denis Rader and you very nicely. Christianity requires more than occasional attendance but obedience to Christ teachings.
It doesnít matter how the average infidel defines Christianity. Itís how God defines it.
Adam

Stoke-on-trent, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

Acadia wrote:
<quoted text>
He's a weak atheist coward, he won't be able to do it.
Slavery in the Bible
http://www.evilbible.com/Slavery.htm

And remember if you believe Jesus is God incarnate, he is the one dishing out the insane and barbaric old testament laws.

Southern Illinois

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

Givemeliberty wrote:
We have secular proof for Pilate and many Pharaohs but zero for Jesus and Moses. Josephus and Tacitus both wrote several times about Hercules so are you saying he existed?
The Josephus Jesus passage btw was forged into his work centuries later.
Outside the bible we have zero historical proof for Jesus or Moses. These are the stone cold facts. I know you don't like them but that doesn't change them.
So your bible god condones and even orders slavery, rape, genocide and putting every infant to the sword. Are these moral actions?
<quoted text>
I noticed no reference to what Taticus wrote about Hercules. Did he write that he believed Hercules was indeed divinely real? Or as a historian was he recanting some of the folk songs of the time period?

A historian writes about history and in that history is culture. It so happens when he is writing about Jesus and Pontus Pilate he is referring to a fire that actually happened. We are not talking fiction here but real events.

Outside the bible there is proof and that proof is found in Taticus writing. He was not referring to a folk song as he did with Hercules but a historical event.

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

Ephesians 6:5
1 Timothy 6: 1-2
Luke 12:47-48

Not to mention all the slavery he ordered in the OT and Paul commanding a run away slave to return to his Christian master.

Anything else I can humiliate you on Daffy?
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 147,201 - 147,220 of223,093
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••