Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 240081 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#153165 Feb 10, 2013
Yes your post is very illogical. Secular morality always strives to progress and improve whereas your bible morality says slavery, rape and putting every infant to the sword is ideal, these are your absolute morality, unless you are saying te bible deity is wrong?
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
If you say so, it must be true?
How can you argue that any morality is superior if you do not accept that absolute morality exists?
Illogical.
:-)

Lexington, KY

#153166 Feb 10, 2013
Dave you lied, and really poorly to boot. Sheesh if you are going to lie at least make up one that your second grade teacher wouldn't see through in 3 seconds.
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You have no credibility as a moral commentator, observer of nature, rational adult, or intellectual. But that doesn't stop you.

Lexington, KY

#153167 Feb 10, 2013
As predicted he dodges and runs like hell from the question!:)
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
First you have to define morality.
If you do not qualify your terms, how can anyone respond appropriately to them?

Lexington, KY

#153168 Feb 10, 2013
Hey gang watch as I make him dodge the question and cower away.

Hey can you us this secular historical evidence for Jesus? Do provide this please.

It's ok dodge and run away as we all know you will.
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
I am sorry, but your argument that there is no evidence for Jesus is just downright absurd and not one I am even tempted to treat seriously.

Lexington, KY

#153169 Feb 10, 2013
Tacitus came long after even Josephus and he was merely repeating what Christians told him generations after the supposed events, but at that point it was folk story legend, inaccurate at best.

This is your proof, are you kidding me?
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
Paul was writing about it 20 years later and churches had already been formed. Tacitus made reference to the events.
Something happened.
You have very few eyewitness accounts to any event in the distant past, including some of your more cherished ones. Almost all were records and interpretation of events written by some scholar. You won't have contemporaneous accounts until the advent of newspapers and such mass media.
You will find controversy about the Jordanian lead codices, but those were mass media of the day. Sheets of lead turned into tracts. You carve your message in wooden blocks, and stamp out lead sheets. Printing without ink.

Lexington, KY

#153170 Feb 10, 2013
Yes your sky wizard myth is childish. Your rock story I have never heard of, some strange gnostic Christian tribe maybe penned that? You will need to show a link to humans came out of a rock.
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
So, the design and formation of man by an infinitely intelligent and powerful being is something you regard as nonsensical.
But the design and formation of man by a rock is something you regard as sensible.
Would you explain why accounting for the designed with a designer is less attractive than accounting for the designed by a rock, intellectually?

Lexington, KY

#153171 Feb 10, 2013
So do you think it is moral to own slaves? Stop dodging the question.
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
The fact of the matter is, is that humanity is enslaved in sin.
Due to their rebellion, they continue in that condition.
So the consequence of God having to deal with slavery is not an unexpected situation.
But before you get off on crying out against a moral standard you do not agree with, you first have to explain how you arrived at an absolute moral standard to make a basis for judgement from...

Lexington, KY

#153172 Feb 10, 2013
Ss Dave we all know you're a Christian already.
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
And the present worldwide morality is defined by Christian ideals. A universal brotherhood of mankind and individual rights because it is "the right thing to do".
The Romans weren't too good at that until they got religion. You won't find such advanced much in any other religion, including those Eastern ones.
Jesus 1
Atheists 0

Lexington, KY

#153173 Feb 10, 2013
Lmfao! At best any of them repeated what Christians told them about Jesus, btw Josephus and Tacitus both wrote about Hercules so are you saying he was real?
Eagle12 wrote:
A good read about evidence of Christ outside of the Bible.
http://beginningandend.com/jesus-exist-histor...

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#153174 Feb 10, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Let me give you one that is easy to understand.
The law of non-contradiction.
A law of logic that is transcendent and universal.
Now you say you don't have to account for that law, you just have to accept it.
But that is the whole point, as an atheist you cannot account for it, but you still use it.
But that law is an expression of Gods character.
So if you were in the business of denying the God that has revealed Himself to you, then yes, you would take that line.
Like the kid who steals sweets from the shop and denies it even though there is sugar all over their cheeks...
The question is:
Where did you get that law from, did you steal it from the Christian Worldview?
Are you saying that "If A=/=B, then B=/=A"?

I'll buy that as an axiom.

How, exactly, does that lead you to the remarkable conclusion that your deity (and only your deity) exists?

You'e skipping an awful lot of steps there.

BTW, although I've had what I may describe as spiritual experiences, I've yet to be visited by any deity at all.

The Borderland of Sol

#153175 Feb 10, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
How do you come to the conclusion that Adam Lanza was a Christian?
Was Judas Iscariot a Christian?
Because he walked into a Church?
If that’s the case then anyone that walks onto Harvard’s campus can claim,“I have been to Harvard.”
But I would say there is a big difference from visiting a top University and graduating from that University with honors.
One can be a visitor or even a regular attendee to a church. Does that mean they are a Christian?
The only way to tell if someone is indeed a Christian is by their own declaration that Jesus Christ is Lord and Savior. And they follow and obey Christ teachings.
Adam Lanza may have been a hearer of the word of God but he was not a doer. Obedience is a requisite to being a Christian.
Now the scripture has very defiantly defined where a unrepeated murderer stands with God.
Revelation 21:8
But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.
James 1:22
But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.
Rather long-winded, but still an iteration of the good ol' "No True Scotsman" fallacy. Adam Lanza and his mother were both Christians.

And Revelation? Really?

Anyone who's read that has to conclude that it's the hallucinatory raving of an utter lunatic.

The Borderland of Sol

#153176 Feb 11, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Therefore the universe caused itself and always was.
I don't like repeating myself but it's ok.
Huh.

I don't think I intended that post to you - sorry...

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#153177 Feb 11, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Huh.
I don't think I intended that post to you - sorry...
I hate it when that happens.
GenoGirl

Torphins, UK

#153178 Feb 11, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
The view is stunning in March, especially in the morning.
Had one of my God looking out for me moments along that highway. Some sheer cliff driving. Was heading north late in the day and curved into the setting sun with a sharp right curve coming up. A large tractor trailer was coming the other way around that tight curve. I was totally blinded.
There used to be a rusted wreck of a car that went 1000 ft off the cliff you could look down and see. Was a sort of tourist attraction.
Uh ok then
Thinking

Yeovil, UK

#153179 Feb 11, 2013
Sweetie.
Acadia wrote:
<quoted text>
GFY, atheist.

United States

#153180 Feb 11, 2013
Bandwagon logical fallacy Dave? If everyone else was jumping off a cliff would you do it as well as Mom used to say. Yes mothers everywhere shatter your argument when talking to their children.

Oh and a dash of the Pascal's wager threat? Oh scary! If you are wrong moments after you die you will be sorry!

Hey deist tell us again how awesome Jesus and Paul are!

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahah a!
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You follow the herd, or you follow your own path.
You will know the truth a couple minutes after your heart stops.
In the meantime, why do you feel so compelled to tell others they are wrong? 7 billion is over 200 years worth of seconds. That is just the people alive today. Why do you think the vast majority of them choose to believe in a deity? I will guarantee a large portion of them were more intelligent or educated than you think you are.
Thinking

Yeovil, UK

#153181 Feb 11, 2013
If Edward I is in there, the first of the Plantagenets, and no saint himself, it would make sense to have the last one there too.

York Minster's beautiful though. Well worth the travel.

But Richard's got 527 years of unpaid parking charges to settle with Leicester's city council first.
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I vote for Westminster Abbey.
It's a wonderful place, he would be in very good company, and for the visitor it makes it so much easier to have everybody together.
See what you can do.

The Borderland of Sol

#153182 Feb 11, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
I hate it when that happens.
*grumble*

“There is no god!”

Since: Jun 12

Södertälje, Sweden

#153183 Feb 11, 2013
Dave Nelson wrote:
<quoted text>
You follow the herd, or you follow your own path.
You will know the truth a couple minutes after your heart stops.
In the meantime, why do you feel so compelled to tell others they are wrong? 7 billion is over 200 years worth of seconds. That is just the people alive today. Why do you think the vast majority of them choose to believe in a deity? I will guarantee a large portion of them were more intelligent or educated than you think you are.
I've been near death and nothing happened
Acadia

Hagerstown, MD

#153184 Feb 11, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>You misinterpret anger for scorn. I have no patients when it comes to people being willfully ignorant. Now why don't you piss off!!!!
Thanks for proving you are a disrespectful angry atheist. That didn't take long.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... (Oct '14) 2 min The_Box 7,672
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 27 min ChristineM 2,242
News "Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 3 hr MikeF 19,151
News Phil Robertson talks against Atheists 16 hr The_Box 139
The Ultimate Evidence of God (Mar '14) 20 hr Reason Personified 166
News Why Atheism Will Replace Religion (Aug '12) 20 hr Reason Personified 14,660
News Atheists' problem with the Bible (Sep '09) Mon NoahLovesU 7,514
More from around the web