Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Comments (Page 7,352)

Showing posts 147,021 - 147,040 of216,897
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course it can be answered.
If you have access to the Creator of the universe.
But you are correct, as a mere human atheist, you cannot answer or account for this very simple principle that pervades Creation.
And that is the point.
You cannot account for anything as an atheist.
Therefore you are arguing that we should accept your position based on your opinion and faith, that reveals itself as a suppression of truth...
If there is a 'truth', everyone would have access to it, unless you can prove otherwise.

You have avoided nearly all of my very simple questions. Why?

How does one, according to your god, cure leprosy?

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess, being a christian, means you can pull from the OT when you want and then deny it when you want.
Matthew 5:22
But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother will be liable to judgment; whoever insults his brother will be liable to the council; and whoever says,‘You fool!’ will be liable to the hell of fire.
You can pull from the NT and OT when you want and then deny it when you want.

Nice application of the double standard.

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>The mistake you are making is claiming absolute truth. Absolute right and wrong. There are NO absolutes.
You realise you have defeated your own argument here...

Are you absolutely sure there are "no absolutes".

That is an absolute by the way...

==========

And that is the point, to maintain your position, you have to deny the obvious and you end up in contradictions.

You also end up appealing to your own opinion.

That clearly shows that the truth you attack, is true, by the error you are reduced to to deny the truth.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
You talk as if society and government belong to you.
Do you perceive yourself to be some type of "ruling class"?
In America, yes. We are the ruling class. Every last one of us.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
It is a very simple logical argument.
The truth is self attesting.
It is confirmed by the contrary being illogical...
Pretty basic really...
Again, a lot of words, but you say nothing.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
Is
this
your
absolute
truth?
All topix posters are liars .

There's the truth!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

Judged:

blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>You're simply wrong, ONCE again. Don't you get tired of getting your ass kicked over your absolutes?
1.) Homosexuality is NOT abominable, it is to you I'm sure but not a universal claim.
2.) Neither is it socially and morally wrong.
3.) Nor is anything you have just stated, the ABSOLUTE TRUTH. It is simply Your jaded opinion. An opinion dirtied by religious dogma,
Here is some ABSOLUTE facts for you. Homosexuality among the animal kingdom, or which we are apart of, is wide spread. Over 1,500 cases of sam sex behavior has been documented in everything from fruit flies to penguins. There are NO species on the face of the planet that do not display some form of same sex behavior. Fish, reptiles, birds bats, mammals, insects, all display these traits. Now it would appear if you claim that your God is responsible for creating all there is, including every species found o the planet, then he apparently instilled these traits in all of these species, correct? So if your God see's nothing wrong with same sex behavior, what is your problem? I wonder why all these species have been created with same sex behavioral traits, could it be that your God enjoys the same? Just using the reason and logic you wave around so judiciously.
Same sex behavior is not frowned upon in many countries, like the Atheistic countries of Norway, Sweden, and Denmark. Countries that have booted your demon God out and allowed people live happily without your infamous celestial dictator peering down on them.
You really hate this God that doesn't exist don't you...

So am I absolutely wrong for saying homosexuality is immoral.

Have I "sinned" against humanistic doctrine?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

Judged:

Thinking wrote:
No all powerful compassionate god exists.
<quoted text>
That is an absolute truth claim you have made there.

Are you departing from the typical atheistic position that says it makes no truth claim on this subject?

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

Mikko wrote:
whoever says,‘You fool!’ will be liable to the hell of fire
There are instances throughout the bibull where people are called fools. For example, David wrote,“The fool has said in his heart,‘There is no God’”(Psalm 14:1). Paul told the Galatians they were foolish (Galatians 3:1). Jesus even said the Pharisees and scribes were fools in Matthew 23:17.

So according to your "logic" David, Paul and jesus are all right now burning in your hell. Cool. Your bibull is never wrong so thank you for telling us that. Sucks to be David, Paul and jesus though. LOL....

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
All effects are caused.
Basic causality, upon which science is based...
You can deny that if you see fit.
In fact you might need to if you want to hold onto your particular views.
In fact, you have to, to maintain your absurd position...:-)
You see error has to deny truth to try to maintain its hold over truth.
So you have no choice but to keep denying even the most basic truths of the universe, to support your error.
Proving the very point I am making.:-)
You ignored all of my points. Science is NOT based upon the assumption of causality. That is shown by the *science* of quantum physics, which is not a causal theory.

You still did not define 'causality'. Since I did and my definition doesn't lead to the conclusions you think follow, you need to at least provide a different definition or argue that mine is incorrect.

I pointed out that the *actual* law of causality is: every caused event has a physical cause. You have not refuted that version of the law, but it is clear that it does not support your conclusions. It does, however, follow from my definition of causality.

You have shown your willingness to ignore arguments that reach conclusions you don't like. Now, can you actually stand up and defend your position, or are you simply going to re-state arguments that have already been shown to be wrong
GenoGirl

Inverness, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
If we dropped it and moved on, what would be the point of a discussion board?
Most Atheists do not have a problem with most believers. Some believers try to force their beliefs into our lives and here in America, we do not have to tolerate that.
If the 50's, the christians forced their god into our Pledge of Allegiance, on our currency and in our government. That was during the McCarthy era when people were scared of our government.
For the past few decades, we have become less and less afraid and starting to take a stand against their mythology being illegally forced upon us.
I know what your saying but I didnt make you change your beleifs , I never said I would make you beleive,, im just saying the whole argument is going nowhere thats all im saying

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

Judged:

TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess, being a christian, means you can pull from the OT when you want and then deny it when you want.
Matthew 5:22
But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother will be liable to judgment; whoever insults his brother will be liable to the council; and whoever says,‘You fool!’ will be liable to the hell of fire.
You really think by me quoting Proverbs I have in some way invalidated Proverbs?

Maybe you have simply misunderstood what Jesus said, because of your predisposition to reject any truth the Bible presents.
:-)

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
How can you define purpose, you are just a chemical fizz.
What purpose do you have?
The purpose *I* decide to have. Chemical fizz that has intelligence can do that.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

Judged:

macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Silly person.
One cannot be at war with, much less hate, that which does not exist.
Pointing out that certain True Believers® are socially stunted (or downright stupid) is not an attack on some mythical deity.
Exactly my point...

Why are so many atheists at war with God, if they really do believe He does not exist...

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
You talk as if society and government belong to you.
Do you perceive yourself to be some type of "ruling class"?
Yes, of course I am. I am a voter in a republic.

“Think&Care”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
You really hate this God that doesn't exist don't you...
So am I absolutely wrong for saying homosexuality is immoral.
Have I "sinned" against humanistic doctrine?
Once again, sin is a religious concept, not a humanist concept. You are wrong, but that isn't the same as sinning. You are also immoral, but that isn't the same as sinning.
Lincoln

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

Judged:

-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
That's correct, there's no such thing as god.
God

"There is no such such thing as Skeptic."

Atheists such Stalin, Hitler, Himler and Mao
showed us the danger of atheist in power !

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>I stand by my original statement, "There are NO contemporary accounts of Jesus outside of the bible." There are NO original manuscripts from Tacitus, but the real nail in the coffin is the FACT that Tacitus was born 25 years after the death of Jesus, hardly a contemporary. I'm not sure when these manuscripts were written or how old Tacitus was when he wrote them, but even if he was in his 20's that would put the death of Jesus almost 50 years from when he wrote about Jesus. Once again, hardly a contemporary account. And we all know what happens to stories handed down over the years, how greatly they change. Sorry, but nice try!!!
Based on that requirement, you obviously do not believe that Alexander the Great existed either then?

If of course you genuinely hold to your standard of truth here.

But maybe you only adopt this when it comes to biblical claims?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

Judged:

Mikko wrote:
<quoted text>
Sin was invented by the catholic church and morality is relative
Do you have anything to offer other than your arbitrary opinion?
You might want to go and do some reading.

I think you will find your opinion, as stated here, is not based in any facts whatsoever.
christianity is EVIL

Halifax, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly my point...
Why are so many atheists at war with God, if they really do believe He does not exist...
they arent

they are only trying to make you see the idiocy of your religious brainwashing

www.evilbible.com

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 147,021 - 147,040 of216,897
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••