Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#152994 Feb 10, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
You talk as if society and government belong to you.
Do you perceive yourself to be some type of "ruling class"?
Yes, of course I am. I am a voter in a republic.

“Think&Care”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#152995 Feb 10, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
You really hate this God that doesn't exist don't you...
So am I absolutely wrong for saying homosexuality is immoral.
Have I "sinned" against humanistic doctrine?
Once again, sin is a religious concept, not a humanist concept. You are wrong, but that isn't the same as sinning. You are also immoral, but that isn't the same as sinning.
Lincoln

United States

#152996 Feb 10, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
That's correct, there's no such thing as god.
God

"There is no such such thing as Skeptic."

Atheists such Stalin, Hitler, Himler and Mao
showed us the danger of atheist in power !

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#152997 Feb 10, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>I stand by my original statement, "There are NO contemporary accounts of Jesus outside of the bible." There are NO original manuscripts from Tacitus, but the real nail in the coffin is the FACT that Tacitus was born 25 years after the death of Jesus, hardly a contemporary. I'm not sure when these manuscripts were written or how old Tacitus was when he wrote them, but even if he was in his 20's that would put the death of Jesus almost 50 years from when he wrote about Jesus. Once again, hardly a contemporary account. And we all know what happens to stories handed down over the years, how greatly they change. Sorry, but nice try!!!
Based on that requirement, you obviously do not believe that Alexander the Great existed either then?

If of course you genuinely hold to your standard of truth here.

But maybe you only adopt this when it comes to biblical claims?

Location hidden

#152998 Feb 10, 2013
Mikko wrote:
<quoted text>
Sin was invented by the catholic church and morality is relative
Do you have anything to offer other than your arbitrary opinion?
You might want to go and do some reading.

I think you will find your opinion, as stated here, is not based in any facts whatsoever.
christianity is EVIL

Halifax, Canada

#152999 Feb 10, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly my point...
Why are so many atheists at war with God, if they really do believe He does not exist...
they arent

they are only trying to make you see the idiocy of your religious brainwashing

www.evilbible.com

Location hidden

#153000 Feb 10, 2013
Mylan wrote:
<quoted text>LOL....ROFL.... That's too funny....
Jesus was a myth, based on another myth. History has already recorded this fact.
Your arbitrary opinion is soundly refuted.

You are expressing the most basic ignorance of the subject here.

You need to go and do some reading on the subject.

Even critics of the Bible, who are serious with their research would not support your claims here.

Don't believe everything you are told, go and check it out for yourself.

“Evil Atheist :-)”

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#153001 Feb 10, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
My good Doctor, your statement brings up a interesting thought. If Christ lived and died then somewhere in history there would be a reference to him outside of the bible.
It just so happens there is a Roman historian named Senator Tacitus who referred to Christ and Pontius Pilate written in his book 116. It was written in a reference to a great fire in Rome that burned the city 64 AD.
Thank you for bringing up.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tacitus_on_Chris...
"The Roman historian and senator Tacitus referred to Christ, his execution by Pontius Pilate and the existence of early Christians in Rome in his final work, Annals (written ca. AD 116), book 15, chapter 44.[1]"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tacitus_on_Chris...

Tacticus wasn't even born until 22 years after Jesus is supposed to have died! The quote is from 116 AD!
All he is saying is that this cult of Christianity existed. We already knew that.

Location hidden

#153002 Feb 10, 2013
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
If there is a 'truth', everyone would have access to it, unless you can prove otherwise.
You have avoided nearly all of my very simple questions. Why?
How does one, according to your god, cure leprosy?
Thats the point.

Everyone does have access to it.

That truth is expressed in so many different ways in Creation.

The suppression of that truth, also confirms it, as the suppression always relies on error and illogicity to attack the truth, showing its nature.

As I have been showing you over and over.

----------

This can again be displayed in this post, you deny absolute truth, by claiming an absolute truth...

Contradicting yourself again.

That very act of contradiction is the evidence that you are suppressing the truth.

It is there for anybody to see...

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#153003 Feb 10, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
Atheists such Stalin, Hitler, Himler and Mao
showed us the danger of atheist in power !
Remember the Crusades? Religion is an insult to human dignity. There will always be good and bad people in the world, but history has recorded that for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#153004 Feb 10, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
A good read about evidence of Christ outside of the Bible.
http://beginningandend.com/jesus-exist-histor...
Ah, yes, a "Bible Study" site. Good pick.

Aand we're back to Josephus and Tacitus - both of which are shown to include later interpolations (read: forgeries) involving the Jesus.

And Africanus? He refers to the "Paschal full moon" - and the term "paschal" didn't come into use for "Easter" until after 170 AD. Meaning that Africanus was writing at least 140 years after the fact.

Location hidden

#153005 Feb 10, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
You ignored all of my points. Science is NOT based upon the assumption of causality. That is shown by the *science* of quantum physics, which is not a causal theory.
You still did not define 'causality'. Since I did and my definition doesn't lead to the conclusions you think follow, you need to at least provide a different definition or argue that mine is incorrect.
I pointed out that the *actual* law of causality is: every caused event has a physical cause. You have not refuted that version of the law, but it is clear that it does not support your conclusions. It does, however, follow from my definition of causality.
You have shown your willingness to ignore arguments that reach conclusions you don't like. Now, can you actually stand up and defend your position, or are you simply going to re-state arguments that have already been shown to be wrong
Again, you raise quantum physics and argue that because you have not defined a cause, no cause exists, which of course is an assumption on your part and not actually evidence that causality is suspended in quantum physics...

Just because you cannot identify the cause of an effect, does not mean it does not have a cause.

----------

Yes, every effect is caused, that is the nature of causality which we observe.

So what was the First Cause?

----------

You have two choices:

1. Account for the First Cause.
2. Deny it and reduce yourself to an infinite regression, which of course does not account for anything and is illogical.

There has to be a First Cause, causality proves that.

But you have to deny that simple truth.

Hence your appeal to the murky theoretical nature of quantum physics as a rescuing device....

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#153006 Feb 10, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Thats the point.
Everyone does have access to it.
That truth is expressed in so many different ways in Creation.
The suppression of that truth, also confirms it, as the suppression always relies on error and illogicity to attack the truth, showing its nature.
As I have been showing you over and over.
----------
This can again be displayed in this post, you deny absolute truth, by claiming an absolute truth...
Contradicting yourself again.
That very act of contradiction is the evidence that you are suppressing the truth.
It is there for anybody to see...
You're simply voicing an opinion.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#153007 Feb 10, 2013
mtimber wrote:
You need to go and do some reading on the subject.
Thank you but I am very well educated in the matter. History doesn't lie. Your delusions however do.
Even critics of the Bible, who are serious with their research would not support your claims here.
Not true. But you keep telling yourself that if it makes you feel better.

“Nothing can stop, This Pony..”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#153008 Feb 10, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
Once again, sin is a religious concept, not a humanist concept. You are wrong, but that isn't the same as sinning. You are also immoral, but that isn't the same as sinning.

I think sin does exist, but only in a personal aspect.
A sin is breaking your own rules.
For instance if you say I will never hit a woman, then hit a woman you have sinned. Or you say I will never drive drunk etc.
I don't think there is really a divine set of codes for it, it's personal. I's breaking your own code of honor. For some the standard could be quite low, so sin for them could be atrocity for others.

Location hidden

#153009 Feb 10, 2013
GenoGirl wrote:
<quoted text>
I know what your saying but I didnt make you change your beleifs , I never said I would make you beleive,, im just saying the whole argument is going nowhere thats all im saying
Why would you assume it is going nowhere?

We have had atheists approve of rape.

Deny causality.

Deny the laws of logic.

Deny absolute moral standards.

It has gone plenty of places.

All of them pointing to the plain absolute truth of Gods existence.

That for me, is always a worthwhile cause.

The Bible commands us to defend the faith, casting down imaginations and every foolish thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God.

We should not ignore that injunction...

Location hidden

#153010 Feb 10, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
The purpose *I* decide to have. Chemical fizz that has intelligence can do that.
How can you decide to have a purpose, when you are just a product of random chance events?

You have no choice in anything you do, as you are merely following the chemical reactions in your brain.

How then, do you claim that you can have purpose?

Unless fizzing is your purpose...
Lincoln

United States

#153011 Feb 10, 2013
Mylan wrote:
<quoted text>Remember the Crusades? Religion is an insult to human dignity. There will always be good and bad people in the world, but history has recorded that for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.
20th century soaked in the blood of atheist governments.

East Germany, the wall, shooting people
who wished to leave.

Stalin
Himler
Hitler
Mao
Zinoviev
Kaminev
Fidel Castro
Lenin
Trotsky
Twentieth century atheists in power
resulted in mass murder

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#153012 Feb 10, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
You really think by me quoting Proverbs I have in some way invalidated Proverbs?
Maybe you have simply misunderstood what Jesus said, because of your predisposition to reject any truth the Bible presents.
:-)
So far, what has been self evident is you lack of faith in your god. Otherwise you wouldn't run from simple questions like; How does one cure leprosy?

When someone like you refuses to stand behind your god, I conclude that you are a complete phony.
GenoGirl

Ladybank, UK

#153013 Feb 10, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would you assume it is going nowhere?
We have had atheists approve of rape.
Deny causality.
Deny the laws of logic.
Deny absolute moral standards.
It has gone plenty of places.
All of them pointing to the plain absolute truth of Gods existence.
That for me, is always a worthwhile cause.
The Bible commands us to defend the faith, casting down imaginations and every foolish thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God.
We should not ignore that injunction...
Dude your not getting the point of my comment, I meant, you all disagree with each other, and it'll keep going round in circles, no maatter what you say to them, they wont beleive you

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
"Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 1 hr Brian_G 16,615
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 2 hr pearl 4,764
The Consequences of Atheism 8 hr NoahLovesU 717
Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 12 hr Thinking 6,033
Is Religion Childish? 16 hr thetruth 136
Well that's religitards for you... Fri Thinking 1
.com | Why is Atheism on the Rise - Final Response Thu QUITTNER Feb 26 2015 2
More from around the web