Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Full story: Webbunny tumblelog

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.
Comments
146,981 - 147,000 of 226,516 Comments Last updated 12 min ago
GenoGirl

Ladybank, UK

#152964 Feb 10, 2013
Im not tryng to hit on anyones views but your all just as bad each other in a sense you dont just drop it and move on. some of you seem to keep going as if your trolling so you'll get more bad comments from the other person and wind them up. And another thing it seems both sides of the argument are going nowhere, since neither side can respect others opinions. Im not choosing sides either, since I respect everyones opinion, but to lash out at each other over if Gods real or not is just pointless and it will get you nowhere since neith sides can agree with each other. Finally theres a problem with respect of other peoples beleifs, bashing each other beleifs is stupid and most people will just have to put up with what the other person believes and so on. Im just trying to keep things calm is all

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#152965 Feb 10, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
You aren't listening. The coldness and emptiness of the universe as a whole is irrelevant to my purpose: My purpose is *defined* by me, not by the universe as a whole.
<quoted text>
Not true. It has meaning, as I already stated. But it isn't a cosmic meaning. It isn't something that dramatically affects the universe as a whole. It is *my* purpose and *my* meaning for *my* life.
<quoted text>
I already did, multiple times. You have ignored my answers.
How can you define purpose, you are just a chemical fizz.

What purpose do you have?

Location hidden

#152966 Feb 10, 2013
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
Your god requires permission for us?!?!?
Your god is man made and therefore can do or be anything that any man wants him to be.
I am sure you desire this to be true, but that does not make it so.

Your desire is not truth.

Location hidden

#152967 Feb 10, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Well now you are just a dishonest liar. You mad the claim back on YOUR POST #152820 that "I am making absolute truth claims."
This conversation goes only this far. You have made a positive claim, actually you have made a number of positive claims about an imaginary being. Before we can have any discussion about this being, you are required to present verifiable evidence that this being exists. Be prepared to show scientific evidence and or proof that can be found in reality for this being. You seem to think that by simply making a claim, that it automatically should be accepted a factual.
I now challenge you to prove that our species was not the result of Panspermia, or seeded by a race of highly advance beings. Either way your God becomes completely irrelevant.
Yes, I am making a positive claim, as revealed in the Bible by God.

So both my statements were in fact true.

But I am not making the claim based on my own authority, how could I, I am a human with very little knowledge of the universe.

But I am appealing to God and His revealed statements of truth which has been communicated to all mankind.

You however, want to offer your opinion, and then demand everyone disproves it.

Why would I attempt to disprove your opinion, the fact it is mere opinion, means it has no foundation for claiming it is truth.

So having to prove something to you, that is contrary to your opinion, which you have not justified, is nonsensical.

You first have to justify your own worldview, as I have done with mine, then you can ask others to justify themselves.

Until you have done that, you have no right to demand anyone else bring their justifications to the table.

With that in mind, from your worldview...

Please account for the existence of absolute truth...

“In the beginning God Created..”

Since: Feb 12

Southern Illinois

#152968 Feb 10, 2013
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
Creationism is a fraudulent cult. We don't believe your lies.
Cults do exist and I don’t blame you for not believing in them. I don’t believe in their dogma either and despise them even more than you my good man. So we have something in common, neither one of us care for cults.

I understand that you are referencing all believers as being in a cult. Here is where we disagree. I’m using the traditional meaning of the word,“cult.” You are attempting to branch that definition to include your own interpretation. Your definition is not widely accepted by the masses. You are outside of the mainstream in your thoughts.

You do understand what it means to be outside the mainstream? We are all inside a nice warm building and you are standing outside in the cold shivering, calling us ignorant. You may actually believe that but as we look at you through the window. You are pretty much alone in your thoughts compared to the majority.
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#152969 Feb 10, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
<quoted text>
My good Doctor, your statement brings up a interesting thought. If Christ lived and died then somewhere in history there would be a reference to him outside of the bible.
It just so happens there is a Roman historian named Senator Tacitus who referred to Christ and Pontius Pilate written in his book 116. It was written in a reference to a great fire in Rome that burned the city 64 AD.
Thank you for bringing up.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tacitus_on_Chris...
The Roman historian and senator Tacitus referred to Christ, his execution by Pontius Pilate and the existence of early Christians in Rome in his final work, Annals (written ca. AD 116), book 15, chapter 44.
The context of the passage is the six-day Great Fire of Rome that burned much of the city in AD 64 during the reign of Roman Emperor Nero. The passage is one of the earliest non-Christian references to the origins of Christianity, the execution of Christ described in the Canonical gospels, and the presence and persecution of Christians in 1st-century Rome.
Scholars generally consider Tacitus's reference to the execution of Jesus by Pontius Pilate to be both authentic, and of historical value as an independent Roman source. Eddy and Boyd state that it is now "firmly established" that Tacitus provides a non-Christian confirmation of the crucifixion of Jesus.
In terms of an overall context, historian Ronald Mellor has stated that the Annals is "Tacitus's crowning achievement" which represents the "pinnacle of Roman historical writing". The passage is also of historical value in establishing three separate facts about Rome around AD 60:(i) that there were a sizable number of Christians in Rome at the time,(ii) that it was possible to distinguish between Christians and Jews in Rome, and (iii) that at the time pagans made a connection between Christianity in Rome and its origin in Judea.
I stand by my original statement, "There are NO contemporary accounts of Jesus outside of the bible." There are NO original manuscripts from Tacitus, but the real nail in the coffin is the FACT that Tacitus was born 25 years after the death of Jesus, hardly a contemporary. I'm not sure when these manuscripts were written or how old Tacitus was when he wrote them, but even if he was in his 20's that would put the death of Jesus almost 50 years from when he wrote about Jesus. Once again, hardly a contemporary account. And we all know what happens to stories handed down over the years, how greatly they change. Sorry, but nice try!!!

Location hidden

#152970 Feb 10, 2013
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
That is a philosophical question that cannot be answered, at least not until we know everything.
Much like "Nothing is absolutely true is absolutely true."
I'll stick with science, history and our government.
Of course it can be answered.

If you have access to the Creator of the universe.

But you are correct, as a mere human atheist, you cannot answer or account for this very simple principle that pervades Creation.

And that is the point.

You cannot account for anything as an atheist.

Therefore you are arguing that we should accept your position based on your opinion and faith, that reveals itself as a suppression of truth...

“There is no god!”

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#152971 Feb 10, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't accept your definition of atheism.
Atheism, as defined in the Bible:
The fool has said in his heart, there is no God...
whoever says,‘You fool!’ will be liable to the hell of fire

Location hidden

#152972 Feb 10, 2013
Mikko wrote:
<quoted text>
there is no such thing as sin and morality isn't absolute
Do you have anything to offer other than your arbitrary opinion?

Location hidden

#152973 Feb 10, 2013
polymath257 wrote:
<quoted text>
But that is exactly how we see your claims of the existence of God. The only reason we spend time trying to refute it is that so many people attempt to distort our government and society by their superstitious nonsense. We no longer need to show the non-existence of Zeus or Thor. Yahweh is the same type of myth.
You talk as if society and government belong to you.

Do you perceive yourself to be some type of "ruling class"?

“cdesign proponentsists”

Since: Jul 09

Pittsburgh, PA

#152974 Feb 10, 2013
GenoGirl wrote:
Im not tryng to hit on anyones views but your all just as bad each other in a sense you dont just drop it and move on. some of you seem to keep going as if your trolling so you'll get more bad comments from the other person and wind them up. And another thing it seems both sides of the argument are going nowhere, since neither side can respect others opinions. Im not choosing sides either, since I respect everyones opinion, but to lash out at each other over if Gods real or not is just pointless and it will get you nowhere since neith sides can agree with each other. Finally theres a problem with respect of other peoples beleifs, bashing each other beleifs is stupid and most people will just have to put up with what the other person believes and so on. Im just trying to keep things calm is all
If we dropped it and moved on, what would be the point of a discussion board?

Most Atheists do not have a problem with most believers. Some believers try to force their beliefs into our lives and here in America, we do not have to tolerate that.

If the 50's, the christians forced their god into our Pledge of Allegiance, on our currency and in our government. That was during the McCarthy era when people were scared of our government.

For the past few decades, we have become less and less afraid and starting to take a stand against their mythology being illegally forced upon us.

“There is no god!”

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#152975 Feb 10, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Sin was invented by the catholic church and morality is relative

Southern Illinois

#152976 Feb 10, 2013
GenoGirl wrote:
Thank you for leaving this comment. You are right in that there is a lot of disrespect on this thread. Believe it or not I have learned from the opposition and will continue to do so. These Atheist are so much fun to engage.

There are some very intelligent and respectful. Then there are those who are just nothing but spiteful. All of them makes this the place to be.

Location hidden

#152977 Feb 10, 2013
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
Explain.
<quoted text>
Explain.
<quoted text>
False dilemma fallacy.
<quoted text>
I do not claim that a god does not exist. I do however deny that the god of the bible does not exist.
<quoted text>
Did you read a book on philosophy? Maybe watch a youtube video on the subject? Look up logical fallacies and see how many you can committed.
It is a very simple logical argument.

The truth is self attesting.

It is confirmed by the contrary being illogical...

Pretty basic really...

Southern Illinois

#152978 Feb 10, 2013
Mikko wrote:
<quoted text>
whoever says,‘You fool!’ will be liable to the hell of fire
Ohhh you don't belive in that do you? You're an Atheist remember?

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#152979 Feb 10, 2013
Eagle12 wrote:
A good read about evidence of Christ outside of the Bible.
LOL....ROFL.... That's too funny....

Jesus was a myth, based on another myth. History has already recorded this fact.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

#152980 Feb 10, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course it can be answered.
If you have access to the Creator of the universe.
But you are correct, as a mere human atheist, you cannot answer or account for this very simple principle that pervades Creation.
And that is the point.
You cannot account for anything as an atheist.
Therefore you are arguing that we should accept your position based on your opinion and faith, that reveals itself as a suppression of truth...
If there is a 'truth', everyone would have access to it, unless you can prove otherwise.

You have avoided nearly all of my very simple questions. Why?

How does one, according to your god, cure leprosy?

Southern Illinois

#152981 Feb 10, 2013
TheBlackSheep wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess, being a christian, means you can pull from the OT when you want and then deny it when you want.
Matthew 5:22
But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother will be liable to judgment; whoever insults his brother will be liable to the council; and whoever says,‘You fool!’ will be liable to the hell of fire.
You can pull from the NT and OT when you want and then deny it when you want.

Nice application of the double standard.

Location hidden

#152982 Feb 10, 2013
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>The mistake you are making is claiming absolute truth. Absolute right and wrong. There are NO absolutes.
You realise you have defeated your own argument here...

Are you absolutely sure there are "no absolutes".

That is an absolute by the way...

==========

And that is the point, to maintain your position, you have to deny the obvious and you end up in contradictions.

You also end up appealing to your own opinion.

That clearly shows that the truth you attack, is true, by the error you are reduced to to deny the truth.

“cdesign proponentsists”

Pittsburgh, PA

#152983 Feb 10, 2013
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
You talk as if society and government belong to you.
Do you perceive yourself to be some type of "ruling class"?
In America, yes. We are the ruling class. Every last one of us.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Our world came from nothing? 2 hr Patrick 436
It seems there are more Atheists in the Christi... (Jun '13) 2 hr Patrick 13
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 3 hr Dak-Original 21,516
The myth of the angry atheist 4 hr Thinking 2
The Ultimate Evidence of God 5 hr Thinking 67
Atheists forgetting the meaning of freedom Sat religionislies 58
I left Creationism! Ask me anything! Sat Patrick 7
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••